Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you collecting Silver American Eagles by mint mark now that the secrets out?

2»

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@You said:
    This is ridiculous

No, what's ridiculous is someone actually bought one. Hope the best offer was like, $20...

Hmmm... How long do you think it'll be before we see the first counterfeit monster box straps? :smiley:

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

The short answer is no. I have twice tried to get interested in this series and have ended up selling the partial sets I had. They just don't do anything for me as a collectable, and the games the mint plays with them to generate speculator/flipped interest is a major turn-off to me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

take a look at the sell prices on the link.

a lot of money changed hands for each.

perhaps it is the seller on the hook. Is it possible our hosts are on the hook?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

to get the San Fran or Philly designation they had to be submitted in sealed boxes of 500 with the correct (now not correct) serial number on the box. :'(

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@You said:
    This is ridiculous

No, what's ridiculous is someone actually bought one. Hope the best offer was like, $20...

???
    All of the ones in the link were bought...

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Dansco Album. One for every Year. I have some graded Silver Eagles as well. I plan on selling those to buy more Peace Dollars though.

• Options

Probably the best example of "Buy the coin, not the label" that I have seen.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@You said:

Did the TPGs get this one wrong?

Nope...they were providing a service based on both the statements from the Mint and consumer requests.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '95W is still the king of ASE's....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2017 8:34AM

After reading this thread, I just went out to my local pawn shop and purchased 1 2015 Silver Eagle (Raw)! I know the Phillies can only be determined by the original boxes/packaging but I figure spending only $25, it's worth the risk, right? ;)
    One More Thing... I'm hoping maybe later down the line, a Marker/s will show up to determine which ones are from Philadelphia without having the original box.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2017 10:22AM

@BigA said:

@derryb said:

@You said:

Nope...they were providing a service based on both the statements from the Mint and consumer requests.

Whatever the reason, they got it wrong. Hope this teaches them to stick with what the coin says.

Maybe those that paid an outrageous price for this label can resubmit and get an error label.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, who has the complete run of strapping bands from every year of monster boxes?

I mean, let's get to RARITY !!! B)

• Options
    FellintoOblivionFellintoOblivion Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

@BigA said:

@derryb said:

@You said:

I think the bigger question is whether they should have been providing the service at all based on the potentially specious "facts" they had access to.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been happy with 90% US silver coins and Mexican Libertads. No need for the ASE's.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FellintoOblivion said:

@BigA said:

@derryb said:

@You said:

I think the bigger question is whether they should have been providing the service at all based on the potentially specious "facts" they had access to.

they had a system until the meddling kids at the mint tried (and succeeded) at throwing them off the scent.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@FellintoOblivion said:

@BigA said:

@derryb said:

@You said:

they had a system until the meddling kids at the mint tried (and succeeded) at throwing them off the scent.

Fake news and alternate facts strike again.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

Am I collecting by "mintmark"? Absolutely!

Am I collecting by where the coin was minted (based solely upon what could be erroneous information)?
    Nope!

That is a "bubble market" which is a sure loser!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

@19Lyds said:
    Am I collecting by "mintmark"? Absolutely!

Am I collecting by where the coin was minted (based solely upon what could be erroneous information)?
    Nope!

That is a "bubble market" which is a sure loser!

The real question is what will TPGs who already slabbed coins do if they find out they did so based on incorrect information.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Markers," should they ever be identified, are sure to be so miniscule as to discourage interest over time, even if there's some kind of initial flurry. And my bet is that no such "markers" exist, that the dies used at each site were made identical.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Mint now saying the box serial numbers were incorrect

"The U.S. Mint issued a statement May 25 announcing that information Mint officials released March 20 pursuant to a Coin World Freedom of Information Act request in February was erroneous concerning tracking numbers that might be able to be used to identify the source Mint facility for boxes of 2015 American Eagle silver bullion coins."

Some of these erroneous box numbers were used to incorrectly label non WP slabbed ASEs. :o

I wonder if the Mint will reimburse all the people who bought these?

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The short answer is no. I have twice tried to get interested in this series and have ended up selling the partial sets I had. They just don't do anything for me as a collectable, and the games the mint plays with them to generate speculator/flipped interest is a major turn-off to me.

Could had sold them to me.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2017 5:17AM

What is your opinion guy's? Would you say any " Early Release" or " First Day Of Issue" 2015's are the ones first minted at the Philadelphia mint? or one still can't determine that? Weren't the first of these (2015 Eagles) 79,600 minted at phil. than the rest at San Francisco? If this turns out to be true, than any Slabbed , (PCGS or NGC), 2015 Silver Eagles, " Early Release"/"First Day Of Issue", titled would be the ones minted at the Philadelphia Mint! No? yes? Thanks guy's -joey :):)
    One More Thing... Am I just "grasping for straws?"LOL

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep looking at the title of the OP, and just question the whole area of collecting by type [not demonstrated by variances ON the coin] and not by packaging. If collecting by MINTMARK, then these are a non-issue of possibly only passing interest to a few. The HSN hype is absolutely ridiculous IMO.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't find the 2015(P) PCGS number (624711) in the pop report. Anyone know the latest number of 69's and 70's?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Silver Eagles are bullion coins.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2017 7:11PM

@7Jaguars said:

The HSN hype is absolutely ridiculous IMO.

+1 :D

No offence to those who do, without a mint mark to me it is, for lack of a better word, an ASE.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having read the article in this week's "Coin World" about these coins, I would have less than zero interest in them. If the coin does not have a mark that shows it was struck at the Philadelphia Mint, it should be of no interest to collectors.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

H E to the double L no.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file