Military Tokens Thread

Comments

• Options
    Iceberg77Iceberg77 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:

@Iceberg77 said:

@coinsarefun said:

Coinsarefun,
    I have this copper medal and I also have one that looks like a white metal of some sort or maybe copper plated. When I first got these, I was told they were made in Canada. I am not sure if it is true or not, I never researched. When I get home from work tonight I'll post a picture of the white metal one for you.

Thanks!......I believe it says made in Canada on the edge. It’s been a few months so I forget.....lol
    I would love to see some pics

I guess it is a little different, the front has Warriors on it.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Iceberg77 said:
    This is my pride and joy of my medallions/medals. I also am using it as my forum icon.

Can you tell us why you connect with this piece?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I posted this before, but not sure. I picked this up at a yard sale, no history. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@coinsarefun said:

@Iceberg77 said:

@coinsarefun said:

Coinsarefun,
    I have this copper medal and I also have one that looks like a white metal of some sort or maybe copper plated. When I first got these, I was told they were made in Canada. I am not sure if it is true or not, I never researched. When I get home from work tonight I'll post a picture of the white metal one for you.

Thanks!......I believe it says made in Canada on the edge. It’s been a few months so I forget.....lol

You are correct sir, "Made in Canada" is on the edge, don't know how I missed that except I never checked the edge for any markings. LOL The other one I posted has no markings on the edge at all.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Iceberg77 said:

@coinsarefun said:

@Iceberg77 said:

@coinsarefun said:

Coinsarefun,

You are correct sir, "Made in Canada" is on the edge, don't know how I missed that except I never checked the edge for any markings. LOL The other one I posted has no markings on the edge at all.

Sure thing. but as unusual as it is............. I'm a girl. But please don't call me Mam, however a fe call me dudette I find it cute or even better....Stefanie
    I know you had no way of knowing. Most here aren't aware either. :)
    Again welcome to the forums and hope to influence you into collecting all kinds of tokens, medals, etc....

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:

Sure thing. but as unusual as it is............. I'm a girl. But please don't call me Mam, however a fe call me dudette I find it cute or even better....Stefanie
    Again welcome to the forums and hope to influence you into collecting all kinds of tokens, medals, etc....

As promised . . . . .

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

See I learned something new already > @coinsarefun said:

@Iceberg77 said:

@coinsarefun said:

@Iceberg77 said:

@coinsarefun said:

Coinsarefun,

Sorry Stefanie, won't happen again :) I use my dogs name in my forums names and I have been called ma'am a couple of times, depending which name I am using.

• Options

I am going to try and post a military token every Friday, and hopefully keep this thread going.

I'll start of with the 2nd Infantry Division tokens and/or medallions/challenge coins I have

The first one Is from 1960 while the division was still in Georgia, but apparently some of these ended up in Korea when the 2nd ID took over the mission there from the 7th Infantry Division, I believe in 1971.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:

@Iceberg77 said:

How about "hey, lady".

Female bartenders and waitresses love when I try to get their attention that way. :D

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Iceberg77 said:
    This is my pride and joy of my medallions/medals. I also am using it as my forum icon.

That's a great piece. I'd also consider that to be a political token. I've seen them on Ebay and would love to pick up a nice example like yours at some point.

Years ago I sent a North Korean banknote to the captain of the USS Pueblo, Lloyd M. Bucher, which he autographed for me. He said that it was the most unusual thing anyone ever sent him to sign.

The USS Pueblo incident is an interesting Cold War story.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Pueblo medal is part of a two piece set -- it also comes in a brushed antique nickel finish. They are not overly scarce - I listed five or six individual pieces on eBay over the past year or so.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

End of an Era: Base Stores in Afghanistan to Stop Accepting 'Pogs'

Military.Com article:
    https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/05/19/end-of-era-base-stores-afghanistan-stop-accepting-pogs.html

The few Army and Air Force Exchange Service stores that are still open on bases in Afghanistan are encouraging people to turn in or use their paper coins, or pogs, as the U.S. continues its pullout from the country. The phaseout of pogs, which AAFES began issuing at exchange stores in Afghanistan in November 2001, began in May 2021.

AAFES began issuing the cardboard coins at exchange stores in Afghanistan in November 2001, saying at the time that pogs are lighter than metal coins and cheaper to ship overseas.

Collectors now buy and sell pogs. This week, a set of 13 pogs from 2005 was offered on eBay for $450, and a single 5-cent pog from 2003 with the image of a dolphin was going for $13.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

Lots of activity on this thread recently, I love it!
    Here is an interesting piece from Fort Washakie, Wyoming. Good for 10c in trade.

Originally named Camp Augur, Ft. Washakie was renamed in 1878 for the Indian Chief "Washakie" of the Shoshone tribe, making it one of the only military installations named after an indigenous person.
    It operated until 1909 and is currently a part of the Wind River Indian Reservation.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@tokenpro said:
    The Pueblo medal is part of a two piece set -- it also comes in a brushed antique nickel finish. They are not overly scarce - I listed five or six individual pieces on eBay over the past year or so.

I saw one on ebay last night and they claimed it was silver. Not interested it was a heck of a lot uglier than the the one I have. :)

• Options

@DCW That is a sweet token, I have thought of expanding my Montana Tokens to include Northern Wyoming tokens but I think for right now I will just stick with Montana. I can start adding Wyoming at a later date if I chose to do so.

• Options

@Iceberg77
    As you know from collecting Montana tokens I'm sure, exonumia from the Old West can sure get expensive.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@DCW said:
    @Iceberg77
    As you know from collecting Montana tokens I'm sure, exonumia from the Old West can sure get expensive.

Yes, especially the Territorial tokens and Military tokens.

• Options

Here's this Friday's military token, once again from 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Casey Korea.

• Options

Here are this Friday's Military tokens. Actually these are challenge coins but they are all units I was with while in the 2nd ID, these represent the unit but not the actual company I was in.

I decided to do all three of these just to tell the whole story.

Sorry about the quality of the 9th inf pictures, for some reason or another I was having a bad focus day..

1/9 Inf. Camp Hovey, Korea. Jan 1978 to Dec 1978

2/9 Inf. Fort Riley Kansas. Jan 1979 to Jan 1980
    In late 1978, the 1/9 moved up to the DMZ to take over the mission, and the 2/9 moved down to Camp Hovey, I was assigned to the 2/9 and then as part of President Carter's plan to reduce troops in South Korea, the 2/9 did a unit change of station to Ft Riley. We stayed 2nd Div for a little over a year then became the 2/16 Inf 1st ID.

1/23 Inf. Camp Hovey Korea Feb 1980 to Jul 1981

• Options

Here is this Friday's military token. Once again from Camp Casey Korea, this time for the 7th Infantry Div. The 7th Infantry Division had the mission in South Korea before the 2nd Infantry Division took over the mission in the early 70's.
    (Obverse and Reverse are the same design)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I have is a few Civil War sutler tokens.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

This Fridays Military Token, the last one I have right now from the 2nd Infantry Division at Camp Casey Korea

I do have a couple more older 2nd ID challenge coins, but I will just stick with the military tokens for now.

Until next Friday.........

• Options

Here are a few interesting medalettes I just picked up at Stacks that hold some local history for me. They were struck in tin to honor the NJ National Guard at Sea Girt, NJ in the late 19th Century. Some great depictions of soldiers in uniform of the times.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

This weeks token is from 8th Army headquartered in Seoul Korea,

• Options

Here is a rare one from Fort Mason, California. Good for 5c:

Fort Mason was first utilized by the US Army during the Civil War and named after Richard Barnes Mason, former military governor of California.
    It housed victims of the Great Earthquake of 1906 and today serves as headquarters to the Golden Gate National Recreation Center

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

This weeks token is from the American Club in Seoul Korea.

• Options

Here's this weeks military token, going back to where I took basic training. Ft Leonard Wood, MO. This is an unlisted ex Shipley token.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not exactly sure what this is. I think it's a token. I think it's military. I think it's Swiss. Don't even know which is Obv or Rev. I don't know much!

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest that it more likely from a shooting club rather than an actual military token. The Swiss Army itself (not their knives) has traditionally been very small with the country depending on citizen-soldiers when needed, an extension of the many shooting clubs (& resulting shooting thalers, medals & tokens) that date back into the early history of the cantons.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro said:
    I would suggest that it more likely from a shooting club rather than an actual military token. The Swiss Army itself (not their knives) has traditionally been very small with the country depending on citizen-soldiers when needed, an extension of the many shooting clubs (& resulting shooting thalers, medals & tokens) that date back into the early history of the cantons.

Thanks very much for that @tokenpro!

• Options

Here is this Friday's Military token. This one is also from Fort Leonard Wood Post Exchange Good for 1 fare bus token.

• Options

This Friday's token another one from Ft Leonard Wood. This time a PX Bottle Return token

• Options

Here is this Friday's military token. From Ft Leonard Wood again

• Options

Here I am a day late and a dollar short for my Friday posting. This weeks posting is from Ft Benning. 2nd Bn. 24 Inf. This is an unlisted ex Shipley token and dated 1928 to 1939.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope this Civil War token qualifies-

• Options

@koynekwest
    Sure, why not?
    Generally, military tokens fall under post exchange ND regimental pieces. But it is a broad enough category to encompass challenge coins, commemorative, reunions, and even Civil War tokens like you posted

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Here's this Fridays token This is another unlisted one from the Shipley Collection. Battery A, 3rd Field Artillery. Ft. Sam Houston, Tx. Unfortunately, I haven't researched the dates they were at Ft. Sam as of yet.

• Options

I just realized it has been something like 3 or 4 weeks since I last posted a military token, Back in June I posted a 2nd inf. div NCO Open Mess good for 50 cents in trade token. I recently picked up a good for 10 cent in trade token that I'll go ahead and post. Looks like somebody tried to clean it.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of my favorite Civil War tokens-

• Options

This weeks military token comes from Jefferson Barracks, Mo.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

A challenge token perhaps?

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Looks like I forgot to post a new token on Friday once again, been pretty busy since my company's summer hours ended and I have to work every Friday now. This weeks token is another from Jefferson Barracks, Mo.

• Options

This weeks Military Token also comes from Jefferson Barracks, Mo.

• Options

Thanks to @Iceberg77 for keeping this thread going every Friday. Military tokens don't seem very popular, but to us vets they are a real tangible link to our service through coins.
    Here is another Jefferson Barracks token, which has a great pictorial:

Jefferson Barracks still operates in a diminished capacity with the Army and Air National Guard just south of St Louis. But it was a pretty active base through WWII

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

This weeks Military Token comes from Fort Snelling MN.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file