Military Tokens Thread

1235»

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Klif50 said:

@jesbroken said:
    Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS
    stationed there for 14 months. Traded for many types then.
    Jim

I was an A1C at Keesler for 6 moths from April - September 1970. Went to ditty-bop school. Enjoyed my time there but was limited to the Airmans Club and never saw any of the tokens. Thanks for the memories.

Wow I thought dittybop was only 6-8 week course. Why so long. I was there 14 months in ECM 68 to mid 69. If you had ever borrowed money at the AC you would have gotten tokens and then you could find them all over the floor and street outside. lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:

@Klif50 said:

@jesbroken said:
    Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS
    stationed there for 14 months. Traded for many types then.
    Jim

I was an A1C at Keesler for 6 moths from April - September 1970. Went to ditty-bop school. Enjoyed my time there but was limited to the Airmans Club and never saw any of the tokens. Thanks for the memories.

Wow I thought dittybop was only 6-8 week course. Why so long. I was there 14 months in ECM 68 to mid 69. If you had ever borrowed money at the AC you would have gotten tokens and then you could find them all over the floor and street outside. lol
    Jim

Yep took us 6 months to go from no Morse at all to 18.6 words per minutes (I was copying 30 WPM when I graduated). That took a while plus they had to teach us to type and then we had about 1 month and a half of radio theory and then the classified part we were cleared for on radio procedures and stuff like that, and they had to have time to get our security clearances all done. Had to have a TS/SCI to go to work at your next site. 14 months is a long time.

I never borrowed from the club, I was single and didn't drink or smoke so money came easy. Used to walk to Edgewater Plaza each Sunday to visit the hobby shop and eat at the cafeteria. While I didn't really drink I got a dear john letter and went to the club on 2 for a quarter beer night. Drank a six pack and that was the end of that for me.

Sorry for being so far off subject but thanks for listening.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see some participation in this thread! Please post away, folks.
    This one was used by our servicemen in Vietnam in one of the clubs during their downtime. I love the design, and it is quite colorful in hand.
    According to Ray Bows, who wrote a great book on the subject of Vietnam War tokens, this club opened in Feb 1962 at Tan Son Nhut Air base and was closed by 1964. So, very early in the conflict. It was named after the Shawnee helicopters of the 8th and 57th Transportation Companies.

Any Vietnam vets on the forum, I'd love to hear your memories of any of these tokens from that war.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

3rd Infantry Exchange, Machine Gun Co. 2 1/2

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file