Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Military Tokens Thread

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fort D.A. Russell, 5 ex. Shipley Collection

Fort D.A. Russell was an Army installation near Cheyenne, Wyoming. Named after fallen Civil War General, David Allen Russell. It was home to the famous 24th Infantry "Buffalo Soldiers."
    In 1930, it was renamed Fort Francis. E. Warren, in honor of the Governor of Wyoming and Medal of Honor recipient.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Here is another one from Fort D.A. Russell, 4th Field Artillery Exchange, Good For 25c in trade.

These tokens from the Old West are pretty rare.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Bump for Veterans Day. Maybe another soldier, sailor, airman, or Marine will come upon this thread and find interest in this niche of the hobby.
    It is full of history!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Fort Stevens, Oregon. Good For 10c in Trade

Fort Stevens was an active U.S. Army Fort from 1863-1947, so named for fallen Union General Issac Stevens.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Canteen Ft. Sherman, Idaho, Good For 10c

Named after General William Tecumseh Sherman, this fort was in use only briefly from 1878 until around the Spanish- American War.

This token is rather rare

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Fort McPherson,GA
    Good For 25c Post Exchange

Good for 5c. P. Exchange

Fort McPherson, or "McPherson Barracks" was used by Union soldiers after the Civio War from around 1867 until 1881. The Army repurchased the land in 1885 after closing down at the conclusion of Reconstruction. It served until 2011 when it was decomissioned.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Rock Island Arsenal Post Exchange, Illinois. Good for 10c in Trade

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

A new purchase:
    Fort Lawton, WA Post Exchange (uniface)

Fort Lawton was named after Major General Henry Ware Lawton, who was killed in the Phillipines. It was constructed in 1900 to protect the Puget Spund near Seattle. At its height in WWII, it was the second largest port of embarkation for troops headed to the Pacific.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

This probably doesn't qualify, but it felt like a good thread to post this in.

Z

1983 Congressional POW / MIA Medal

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Fort Andrews, MA 1908. Post Exchange 25c

Fort Andrews opened in 1904 on Peddock's Island and protected Boston Harbor with its coastal artillery until the end of WWII. It was decommissioned in 1946.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2022 11:01AM

@Zoins said:
    Great thread everyone! I love the Merriam token with the modular dies.

I have a variety of military tokens and medals. Here's the Fort Totten Post Exchange dollar dies. The fort was known as Fort at Willets Point in 1862 and named Fort Totten in 1898. Of note the dollar denomination style is similar to the Brooklyn Navy Yard token posted by @DCW above.

Cannons feature prominently on all the Fort Totten Post Exchange tokens I've seen. Here's a photo from Wikipedia which shows their impressive 12 inch mortar batteries in an Abbot Quad arrangement.

Here's a postcard of the Fort Totten Post Exchange building from the bay:

I just need to say that this die pair struck one elusive token!

I've been looking for a token for years with no avail. Not that I've seen them and lost. I just haven't seen any!

I know they exist because of the following from TokenCatalog, but I'm still looking!

• Options
    edited July 24, 2022 11:01AM

Great tokens @DCW, @ZoidMeister, @DNADave, and everyone! I love the history behind these. Keep them coming!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what this is. I think it's a military token? Maybe your guys can help? I couldn't even tell you which side is the rev. or the obv.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited July 24, 2022 12:17PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    I'm not sure what this is. I think it's a military token? Maybe your guys can help? I couldn't even tell you which side is the rev. or the obv.

That says Carabiniers Lausanne, which translates rougly to Riflemen of Lausanne, a town in Switzerland.

• Options

Switzerland is allow to have guns?!?!? 😂 🤣 👍🏻

Thanks Zoins!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Here is a new pickup.
    Another lovely piece from Fort Sam Houston, 1908:

I really love the two little eagles on either side of the L on the reverse. It's also nice to have a date on this, which is rarely put on post exchange tokens.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Bump for Veterans Day!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Ft. Dupont, Del. Post Exchange. "1"

Fort Dupont is one of three former forts on the Delaware River that protected the approach to Philadelphia. It was in operation from 1899 to 1946. During WWII it served as a prisoner of war camp.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Post Exchange, Fort Columbus New York Harbor, 10c

Fort Columbus was renamed Ft Jay in 1904, so this token is pretty old. Located on Governor's Island, it was among a series of forts that protected New York Harbor for many years.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Resurrecting this thread again for Memorial Day weekend. As we reflect on all the servicemen and women who gave their lives in the name of freedom 🇺🇸 let's see some tokens they used on the many bases they called home.
    Here is a new one I picked up that I'm pretty excited about
    Fort Yellowstone, Wyo. Good For $1.00 In Trade, ex. Curto
    Big, beautiful brass token from the Old West.
    Fort Yellowstone was established in 1891. A small contingent of US Cavalry were billeted at Monmouth Hot Springs and tasked to protect the federal park from poachers and destruction of property. The Army remained there until 1918 when control was transferred to the National Park Service.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

thank you for again resurrecting this thread. It is very interesting to look through the various tokens. I never realized were so many issued the various military installations, Post exchanges, clubs, etc. Yes, I think it's interesting that most of them are not dated. That's too bad.

Earlier, you posted a token from Fort Mason, San Francisco. My father was stationed there at the end of WWII. He was drafted in the summer of 1945, by that time, the war in Europe was over, and the Pacific was winding down. His primary duty was processing returning soldiers from the Pacific for discharge.

When I was in the service, I was stationed in San Francisco in the Coast Guard in the late 60s/early 70s. we lived close to Fort Mason and frequently used the facilities including the O Club, commissary, other recreational opportunities.

Thanks again for this interesting thread.

Bill

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

Great thread for gaining knowledge on an area so foreign to me. I only have a collection of Confederate notes, and a small one at that. Thanks for the thread!

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

@Glen2022 @percyb

Thanks for your comments. It is indeed an interesting area of numismatics. Not a lot of info, but ripe for research and loaded with history. While these Post Exchange tokens were long phased out by the time I served in the Army, I can't help but feel a connection.

I'll be posting more if there is an interest in maintaining this thread. I've accumulated quite a number of interesting pieces over the last couple of years.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

please keep them coming. They are very interesting.

From your comments concerning lack of information, I am assuming there are no definitive reference books on the subject. if this is incorrect, what books are available? If there are no reference books available, you might consider writing one.

• Options

Paul Cunningham's 2 volume set is considered the standard reference for Military Tokens, but it is almost 30 years old now and nowhere near complete. It's due for an update with more info and images. The values listed are obviously inaccurate now.
    You can find it cheaper, but here it is on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/094500804X

Vol. 1 is Domestic issues. Vol. 2 is for bases that were abroad in Cuba, Phillipines, Europe, etc.
    Cunningham's books were an update from the original reference on the subject, written by James Curto.

https://www.abebooks.com/first-edition/Military-Tokens-United-States-Curto-James/15285909119/bd

The Fort Yellowstone token above was in his personal collection.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    edited May 28, 2023 8:24AM

Here are two new acquisitions from my favorite fort in New Jersey-Fort Hancock, Sandy Hook.

They are both pretty rare, and the 25c denomination I've never seen referenced anywhere. Beautiful pieces in hand! They belonged to a friend of mine that recognized the importance that these tokens held for me and agreed to sell them. To which, I am very thankful!
    The monogram on the obverse reads USPE, for "United States Post Exchange."
    Fort Hancock is located up in Sandy Hook near the Atlantic Highlands and was tasked in defending New York Harbor from the Jersey side. They had a series of batteries that included large "disappearing guns" and artillery delivered to positions by rail. Interesting place. All that really remains now are a bunch of concrete casements and the officers' homes. It is now known as Gateway National Recreation Area.

Edited to add info on the initials

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Another rare one:
    Fort Hancock, NJ. Ordnance Exchange Good for 5c, unlisted

This cent sized token has a very cool pictorial of a flaming bomb, the insignia of Army Ordnance. It probably pre-dates WWI. It 1917 the ordnance department was moved to Aberdeen Proving Grounds to be able to test larger munitions.
    I own the larger 10c denomination which was posted earlier in this thread, but this 5c token recently came out of nowhere.
    I was very excited to see something new from this old fort!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Here's an unlisted denomination of $1.00 from Fort Totten, NY. It features the cross cannons pictorial that is on a few different post exchange tokens from coastal defense forts of the era. Very large size, about the soze of a falf dollar. Interestingly, @Zoins and I have been looking for the $1.00 token that matches the actual die he owns. When I bought this, I thought we had finally located an example, but alas...this one is different.
    It is intriguing how many different designs and modifications were used on military tokens. The attrition of these pieces was very high, so it's very hard to come by some tokens like this one.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last Flag that flew over PT76 that my dad served on in WWII

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP said:

Very nice assortment there @JWP!!

• Options

My only one.

• Options

Those are all Civil War tokens, fellas. I do appreciate the contribution to the thread, though. They have military themes but true military tokens were used by soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines on base as a means of exchange.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Ooops!

• Options
    edited June 3, 2023 6:15AM

No worries. I'll never complain about anyone actually posting to this thread. Just guiding it in the right direction, friend.
    Here's another:
    Cunn WA 540a 2nd Infantry "Lieut. Todd" 5c

Who was Lieutenant Todd? Most likely a quartermaster or some officer in charge of the post exchange, but it's a mystery that might be solved in regimental service records.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Here's an unusually large token for the denomination:
    Fort Bayard, New Mexico. Post Exchange, 5c. CUNN NM50a

Half dollar in size, this baby is from the Old West. Fort Bayard was founded in 1866 and named after Gen George D. Bayard, who was killed at the Battle of Fredericksburg. The famed Buffalo Soldiers were garrisoned here and tasked with protecting settlers from Indian attacks, mainly the Apache.
    The fort was largely inactive after WWI, but found renewed use in WWI to house prisoners of war. This token probably dates to around 1917-18.
    Today, most of the original structures are gone, and it is known as Fort Bayard Medical Center.

Troop L, 9th Cavalry engaged in America's pastime at Fort Bayard:

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Fort DeRussy (HAWAII) Post Exchange, 25c

Post exchange tokens from Hawaii are rare and highly sought after.
    Between 1906 and 1911, Fort DeRussy was erected on Waikiki Beach and tasked with protecting Honolulu Harbor. By 1913, it was part of the "Headquarters Coast Defenses of Oahu" along with Fort Ruger, Armstrong and Kamehameha.

It was active through WWII, after which the the area was transformed into a rest and relaxation center for the US Army. It is now home to the US Army Museum of Hawaii.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Bump for 4th of July and for the ladies and gentlemen that continue to fight for our freedom
    Fort Missoula, Montana Good for 50c In Trade

Once home to the famous "Buffalo Soldiers" of the 25th Infantry Regiment, Ft. Missoula was established in 1877 for protection against conflict with the Indian tribes of Western Montana. During WWII, it housed Italian prisoners of war along with Japanese-Americans arrested after Pearl Harbor.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only things I have are a few Civil War sutler tokens.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Hi, this Sutler Token from the 119th United States Colored Infantry is my latest acquisition. It’s a rare piece from the Civil War.

• Options

@Gettysburgcollector
    Absolutely love it! Folks, this is a rare piece and impossible in this condition. Big token in great shape. Alot of history here. Thanks for posting

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Fifth Cavalry Post Exchange. Nogales, AZ. 12 1/2c

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Been a while since posting to this thread, but I've picked up quite a few Interesting pieces I'd like to share if there is interest.
    28th Infantry Regimental Exchange, Good for 5c in Trade

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

These are neat, Keep then coming please, Too bad many/most are not dated,

• Options

Fort Greble, RI. Post Exchange, Good For 5 Cents in Trade

Fort Greble was part of Rhode Island's coastal defense fortifications on Dutch Island and was named after the first West Point Academy officer to die in the American Civil War, John T. Greble.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Fort Omaha, Nebraska. Post Exchange. Good for 5 cents in trade

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2024 10:46AM

Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS
    stationed there for 14 months. Traded for many types then.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS
    stationed there for 14 months. Traded for many types then.
    Jim

I was an A1C at Keesler for 6 moths from April - September 1970. Went to ditty-bop school. Enjoyed my time there but was limited to the Airmans Club and never saw any of the tokens. Thanks for the memories.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file