Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade--$2 1/2 Indian

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some copper spotting it looks like, the shop owner called it "AU".

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to judge from the photos :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonna be a hard guess the grade since it looks like it isn't graded ;) I would say AU55-MS61 as long as it hasn't been cleaned.. kinda hard to tell from those pictures.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a tough one. Wild guess 58.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the photo it looks MS. I would call it MS62. The copper spotting a detracting factor.

If not slabbed would definitely back off.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

MS64

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe better pictures would help. The reverse looks MS but confused on the obverse.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

The images remind me of scans, but the coin has the feel of an MS piece.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

run forrest run!

actually, there is no way to grade from those photos. also, i am not sure it can be authenticated from those photos.

it looks au on the obv.

• Options
    DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

How much is he asking?

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a good strike, but the cheek chatter and spotting is very distracting-to me at least.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

It was purchased at around $250, it looks around an MS62 to me, will try to photograph it. Some people like certain types of copper spots, with all the fakes at least you know it is real with those, hopefully.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super plus proof 65. PCGS might award it the gold sticker too!

• Options

These tend to be very tough to grade. It definitely looks MS to me with a very good strike and considerable detail on the reverse feathers but a few hits on the obverse cheek. I'd say MS62

Successful Transactions With: PRoemisch, WTCG, CCFC, barberkeys, lkeigwin, ElmerFusterpuck, 123cents, coin22lover, coinlieutenant and abitofthisabitofthat
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

Are you trying to break the record on disagrees? Come on now your just being silly. Just about everyone of your posts mention PCGS in some manner. We get it, you some kind of cheerleader? Proof? Sticker? Come on.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    It was purchased at around $250, it looks around an MS62 to me, will try to photograph it. Some people like certain types of copper spots, with all the fakes at least you know it is real with those, hopefully.

Sounds like a fair price.

• Options

Ya, nice price for it. I happen to like the spots/toning

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks low MS.....61/62....so much glare in the pictures....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

Actually, I think you are being conservative.
    I think it's a Super Dee Duper Deep Cameo Proof 69.
    Immediately send to PCGS, or fly to nearest large show and do a walkthrough.

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

Counterfeit in my opinion.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2017 2:07PM

Grading any incuse Indians via photos is simply guessing

• Options

@darktone said:

What is that based on? Copper mottling seems consistent with the way some of the real ones come.

• Options

@darktone said:

I disagree, and these are my main focus.

• Options

I hope it's not.

• Options

The color of the field compared to the devices, the spike coming out of the Indians nose, the frost of the devices, what looks like tooling marks on the jaws bone. And just the overall look. Dealers have been known to sell counterfeits that did not grade as AU for the gold value.

• Options

@darktone said:
    The color of the field compared to the devices, the spike coming out of the Indians nose, the frost of the devices, what looks like tooling marks on the jaws bone. And just the overall look. Dealers have been known to sell counterfeits that did not grade as AU for the gold value.

Color and frost is goofy because it appears its a scan. The "spike" and "tool marks" are scratches.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2017 4:44PM

I hope your right and I am wrong.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2017 12:21PM

Graded MS62 (NGC) and a sharp tough dealer I know bought it from me @$305, with GS at $320 I had to go behind.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

I pushed the disagree button at first, then retracted it as your comment was an obvious joke that the "ex-pert" graders around here din't appreciate. I'm going to give you a "like" Very funny!

• Options

The dealer buyer is one of the sharpest dealer/graders I know, he scored perfect in the CO springs grading seminar except for one coin he got into an argument with the heads of the seminar about.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    Graded MS62 (NGC) and a sharp tough dealer I know bought it from me @$305, with GS at $320 I had to go behind.

Cool! Unless I feel an Indian is a 63 or better, or is toned/neat variety, its almost not worth the cost to grade. I'm glad one with cool copper spots (my opinion) is now graded and safe though.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@darktone said: The color of the field compared to the devices, the spike coming out of the Indians nose, the frost of the devices, what looks like tooling marks on the jaws bone. And just the overall look."

There is no way to say this in a nice way. Absolutely nothing in your post is correct except the last part about dealers. I'should delete it all except for the last part for the sake of the way you'll come across for posterity. :)

@Boosibri said:
    Grading any incuse Indians via photos is simply guessing

True, I should have guessed MS-63 at a minimum. The image has full details with blazing luster and none of the usual "rub" on the high points is visible. The copper spots come right off very easily. It's too bad we don't have the opinion of the professionals who could grade the coin in-hand..

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first set of photos made this tough to grade because the coin is Mint State but with little eye appeal. I think that MS-62 is a good grade for this piece.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@logger7 said:

The dealer buyer is one of the sharpest dealer/graders I know, he scored perfect in the CO springs grading seminar except for one coin he got into an argument with the heads of the seminar about.

Was this coin for sale on ebay for awhile? I almost bought it because of the red copper spots

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

You came out doing well

• Options

@jwitten said:

@logger7 said:

Was this coin for sale on ebay for awhile? I almost bought it because of the red copper spots

@jwitten said:

@logger7 said:

I thought that was you Mr. Witten, but with the ebay costs you have to sell at least 10% over a direct sale.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now look who has egg on their face!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file