Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Official PCGS White Label Rattler Census --- 71 listed as of 11/22/19

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of Frankies......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MrSliderMrSlider Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 7:23PM

Found another for the census!

1898-O MS64 cert 1081984

https://tinyurl.com/wbuh7ba (Search PCGS on ebay)

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 more

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 a new one to add to the census. Sold on eBay last night:

• Options

That one is still active - enough spots to make a Dalmatian jealous, as they say.....

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Another one for the census. On the bay yesterday;

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.....it appears that a very high percentage of these type holders have prominent large fingerprints which appear to have been caused by someone grabbing a coin out of a flip with their thumb and forefinger. Many pcgs coins in the new holders also have similar large prints that typically line up with the tabs in the ring around the coin as if someone pushed the coin into the ring with their thumb. I remember a thread regarding pcgs fingerprinting coins here a long time back, and David Hall of course denied this was being caused by employees at pcgs but that he "would look into it". Nothing more was said and the issue seemed to have gone away sometime afterwards..

You can draw your own conclusions.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1peter1223 said:
    Census has not been updated . Maybe half a dozen or more new white rattlers have popped up since last update .
    I have noticed they have mostly been 1.1 .

I'll take a look at the last few posted and update the original post soon... thanks!

• Options

Census is now updated through this post... up to 65 now!

:+1:

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭✭

One more for the 1.1 census. The first that I've found in many years.

• Options

Illini420 - thanks for keeping the census - it's a valuable resource to many of us!

• Options

I absolutely agree. Thank you Illini420 for keeping this census up to date. It is a valuable resource.

• Options

Found this cruising through old Heritage auction results: sold for less than 160...

• Options

@sniocsu said:
    Found this cruising through old Heritage auction results: sold for less than 160...

Before updating the census would like everyone's thoughts on this... so we want to update the census with coins that haven't been reported as seen in almost 15 years based on that pic? No verification by any of us that this coin is still around in this holder is the reason I ask. I think we probably should, but wanted to see what you all think.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe with an asterisk. I would think the chances are high that it has been cracked out. I would not put in a census something you are not sure still exists. The census is for known pieces.

• Options

In my opinion; these should be included but with an asterisk or notation. A lot of this info is totally unknown — what coins constitute the first 2300 — where the numbers cut off, etc. if we find the 1080001 coin in some auction record but it has been cracked out; will we not want to know what it was or what the lowest numbered survivor is?

• Options

Agree with the above. Include a footnote so we know what the * or ** or *** means.

We will never have a completely accurate census. Just like the Doily census, there will be crack-outs that we may or may not ever know about.

Judging by the look of the subject coin, you'd be crazy to crack that one - I suspect it's still in a white holder. :D

• Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 844 ✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2019 2:07PM

dealt with a CC Morgan cert # 1082007

SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 844 ✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2019 2:10PM

^^^^WHITE LABEL 1082007 ver 1.2

SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options

This one brought $1400 with the juice. I was surprised it went for that much - Kennedy halves aren't CAC eligible.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first coin graded by PCGS was a 1934 medium motto quarter, MS65. None on the census... yet.

thefinn
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    This one brought $1400 with the juice. I was surprised it went for that much - Kennedy halves aren't CAC eligible.

No, they might not be CAC eligible, however it is probably the only one graded PR69 in a white label holder.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    86Saab86Saab Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Just a couple of 1.0's I've found online that are not listed in the census.

1080214 1881-S Morgan MS64
    1081339 1963 Franklin PR65

• Options
    edited November 22, 2019 9:59AM

All updated through today 11/22/2019. Please let me know if you've seen any that we've missed.

Also marked a few with *** where none of us have seen the coin/holder in person starting 8/15/2019. Some of the older records may be off a bit in that regard, so if you think any others need to be marked *** please let me know as well.

:+1:

• Options

Recently got one of the few gold coins in a white label rattler holder back in my hands and took a quick video for my YouTube channel:

Link to YouTube Video of 1909 $5 Gold Indian Half Eagle PCGS MS63 in White Label Rattler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfRAagyTE1w
  • Options

This one is listed on Ebay on a bin, not listed in the census
    (not mine).

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 9:23PM

Common Morgan in 63 on eBay now for $1950, if anyone wants one that bad. Not for me. Edit, the Walker is $2500.

• Options

I was just clicking through the cert number links to PCGS and saw that 1080628 is showing that it's holder is the PCGS Gold Shield and if you search it manually it shows it truview pictures (https://www.pcgs.com/cert/01080628). Does anyone know if it's been cracked out or just sent in for photos?

• Options

The last true auction for one of these was at GC. It was a 1937 in a 1.0 holder and sold for 1266 back in July. It has been listed several times for 3000+ with no takers.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@86Saab said:
    I was just clicking through the cert number links to PCGS and saw that 1080628 is showing that it's holder is the PCGS Gold Shield and if you search it manually it shows it truview pictures (https://www.pcgs.com/cert/01080628). Does anyone know if it's been cracked out or just sent in for photos?

looks like the coin is in a Hansen set now. So..... probably

• Options

Just noticed that 1080214 is starred as unknown to exist. It was posted by @Lakesammman Feb 2019

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11984498#Comment_11984498

He would have to confirm whether it is still "active"

• Options

Now for a mystery...
    I'm compiling photos, data and links for the white rattlers and came to find this anomaly

Note identical cert numbers, the placement on the writing is different, one higher on the label the other lower and the perforations on the label are in different places, one has perforations on top edge one does not. The right one is clearly gen 1.2 (posted earlier in this thread) and the other according to @Lakesammman is a gen 1.1 (https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/993334/sharing-my-box-of-20-for-the-1st-time-owrs/p1#pagetop)

What is going on here?

• Options

Will look and see if I can find it again .... :D

I talked with one of the founders who was at PCGS from day one - he wasn't surprised there were overlapping serial numbers in the early days - things where a bit "haphazard" (my word, not his) at the start of operations.

• Options

Went through my spreadsheet - swapped the 1881-S CAC to Oreville for another coin I wanted.

Oreville is like a black hole - I'm pretty sure he still has it! :D

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2020 12:10AM

Lakes!
    Of course I still have the 1881-S $1in the white label rattler slab.

But did I acquire it that long ago from you?

By the way, I cannot make it to FUN this year as my wife is running for her last term as Family Court Judge.

I will go to the NYCity International show instead for one day.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    cbtazmancbtazman Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

Hello Mike and All - a couple of updates to the census thread - first off here is a picture of the 1.0 Franklin that I can now verify is still in the 1.0 holder so you can remove the asterisks from the number - This coin and many other fun examples of the Gen 1.0 and 1.1 White rattlers will be on display in The American Treasures booth in Long Beach;

Join The Hunt and Spread the word!
    Real American Treasure
    cbtazman@realamericantreasure.com
  • Options

2nd up we have a new Gen 1.0 to add rounding out the 1.0 count to an even 30 coins - this one will also be on display at our American Treasure's booth number 635 in Long Beach alongside the Rhumba 30th anniversary Morgan Dollar date set in Gen 1.2 green rattlers - The 1.0's and 1.1's are part of our chapter "A Case for the Case" alongside the first 3 NGC holders as well Gen 1.0 Black with Gen 2.1 and 2.0 white label coins - would love to have all of you come by and share your stories; - I can't tell if the picture uploaded from the preview but here is the cert number of the 1902-O in MS64 Morgan 1080199 a very nice coin and holder both in terrific shape.

Real American Treasure
  • Options

Real American Treasure
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 4:43PM

After reading this thread (not 100 percent, I would be here a while) I checked my green labels and found one that does not fit in Gen 1 and is not a gen 2. I believe it is a transition piece When looking at this it does have the same case as the Gen 1 with the lip attached around the case like is used in Gen 2. The label is perforated with the holes being very close together and on all four sides, more like you would find on a check. The printing was different, it was not Dot Matrix and not laser, I recognize the print as Bubble Jet like the Cannon BJ-80, which was released for sale in 1985. The Bar code not clear at all, the lines are not the same thickness, the letters are not consistent at all, the label looks at first like it was copied on an old copy machine. PCGS is not on the front of the label. The back has the green background with PCGS in Gold embossed on the Plastic along with gold seal. I tried to fit it by the serial number but it does not fit.

When I first got this I thought it was two slab shells of different generations put together, now that I know that they added the edge lip separately it fits as a gen 1 to gen 2 transition.

anyone have information on this slab and what number would assign to it? maybe Gen 1.99 ?"?

Can you help @HeatherBoyd

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2020 6:14PM

• Options
    edited January 30, 2020 4:42PM

The number fits, but the slab and label do not. I have a 2.1 and a 2.2, i have been trying to get all that I can afford, which is not a lot. the case is a Gen 1 with the lip added just like the description for the Doily 2.0, if you look at the perforation on all four edges of the label it has a real close fine perforation and the print is from a bubble jet, which would have caused a problem for the bar code being scanned. Unlike the 2.0 2.1 or 2.2 the print is not from a dot matrix printer or laser, The printing is not aligned at all to the label or within the label. This makes me believe that this was an experimental printing or maybe the printer they had broke down and they used another printer, Unlike the 2.1 or 2.2 PCGS is NOT on the label. 2.2 is when they stopped the perforation, this perforation is different than any label shown it the museum. if not for the number on the label you could not place it higher than 2.0 look for yourself, who says the numbers were placed in order of the number? that could have been a unique number string like 108 numbers. Somebody who knows should be able to tell us.

How about it @HeatherBoyd

What I am hoping for is a unique slab designation, it is a class by itself and may have been used on just 1 page of labels depending on how they were printed. Maybe 2.15 I wonder how many of these there are?

Thanks for any help.

Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

@Texast It is definitely a 2.1. The 2.1 did not always have PCGS on the front label and depending on the label sheet and location on the sheet the label could have variations in fineness of the perforations.

• Options

Here's one of mine, it's cert number is very close to yours.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2020 4:59PM

@86Saab said:
    Here's one of mine, it's cert number is very close to yours.

Well yours tells me something, I have to believe the 917 is a special series number... Someone has the answer, and I hope they let us know soon how these series numbers work. Being as they are both 1881 - S could it be that someone with a couple bags of these had them slabbed with there own series number? maybe running a separate line, working on these as a batch that was apart from the main slabbing line. If one customer brought 3 bags of the same thing I would run it that way. Was this part of a Hoard that can be tied to the 917 SERIES?? Can you say Cha-Ching!

• Options

@Texast Likely both of ours were part of the same submission however that number doesn't mean much. Here is another one I have with a different number and lacking the PCGS on the front as well. It's just at some point in the short run of the 2.1's that PCGS was added to the front. I would say from my experience that these without PCGS on the label are the more common of the two but that doesn't add or subtract value from either type.

• Options

• Options

@Sandman70gt said:

Where is this posted at?? It's not one from the museum, the label is right is has the small perforation on the sides, but the number is way off from the 917 series. This one raises more questions about this label.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file