Home U.S. Coin Forum

Terrible counterfeit 1929 $20 pcgs ms65 on ebay

joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copy pictures for others to see.

Seller even lists it in the description as 1927

ebay.com/itm/1929-20-US-Gold-Coin-999-PCGS-St-Gaudens-1907-1933-/122310792378?hash=item1c7a4a94ba:g:q8IAAOSw5cNYeVkp

may the fonz be with you...always...

Comments

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

And 17 bids....I guess the significant wheel brush marks over the mushy details aren't even a deterrent!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I've asked in other posts like this - Are we talking about a fake coin in a fake holder or a fake coin in a real holder?

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

A counterfeit coin in a fake holder. Cert look-up says it's a 1927. Date on counterfeit is 1929.
    Lance.

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

Zero feedback seller, “PCGS Verified, as you can see on the picture.”

Attached pictures from the auction, before it gets pulled.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2017 10:03AM

pix above.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for grabbing the images for those of us who cannot view eBay at work, or before the listing is pulled.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for more education about fakes.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Did they put the fake coin into a real slab or is it a fake slab too?

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    And 17 bids....I guess the significant wheel brush marks over the mushy details aren't even a deterrent!

Hey! But you are filling that 1929 double eagle hole in your collection for a small fraction of the catalog value! :p

@2ndCharter said:
    As I've asked in other posts like this - Are we talking about a fake coin in a fake holder or a fake coin in a real holder?

It's a fake coin in a fake holder. The font on the label is wrong. The hunk of medal in the holder speaks for itself to those who have had experience with genuine St. Gaudens double eagles.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

less than 3 hours to go and its still up, and its a private listing so bidders are anonymous . Feel bad for winner.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

reported and sent seller a note.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2017 1:06PM

Both the slab and the coin are fakes. Reported for all the good it will do.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP link does not work anymore.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2017 1:51PM

Think the way the link looks now that eBay did step in and cancel the auction.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, we usually see a "this item is no longer available" screen or "bidding has ended for this item" but most likely got pulled. The power of the boards strikes again.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job guys!

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@felinfoel said:
    Zero feedback seller, “PCGS Verified, as you can see on the picture.”

Attached pictures from the auction, before it gets pulled.

That is a really bad fake, font on holder is also bad.
    Glad it got yanked.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

People say that the buyers get what they deserve without any knowledge of who the buyers are, what it does to them and the hobby and all the circumstances leading up to the attempted fraud. Yes I am thankful for interdiction in these cases as no reputable auction company would allow fraud like this and many other examples.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

That counterfeit has more hairlines on it than the bottom of my cooking pans.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Font and line spacing should jump out at you to tell it's a fake holder.

The jump out at you for the coin are too many to list. The super mushiness in the detail was #1 for me. I do find the skull on a pike look humourous.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone now...but thanks for grabbing the pictures... yep... definitely fake.... Usually these are gone before I can view them.... glad someone did not get conned on this... however, likely it will be back again.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file