Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please. Show us (or tell us about) your favorite coin purchase of 2016. Some amazing coins posted!

TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2016 12:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Mine is both my favorite coin purchase of 2016 and of all time.
It is also my most expensive at $21k w/BP from Heritage.
The auction catalogue description is below.

1799 Ten Dollar, Near-Mint
BD-8, Small Obverse Stars
Rare Variety
1799 $10 Small Obverse Stars, BD-8, R.5, AU58 PCGS. Bass-Dannreuther Die State c/b, terminal reverse. The heaviest die cracks run through AMERICA, identifying this rare variety. BD-8 has a surviving population of only 45 to 55 pieces in all grades, making it one of the scarcer Small Stars die pairings. Typically, BD-7 is the variety acquired by type collectors, but the present BD-8 coin certainly has the quality and eye appeal to be considered for such a purpose with the added bonus of absolute rarity. The strike is sharp and evenly executed. Some luster remains in the protected regions of the fields, while leaving the bulk of each side with rich orange-gold patina. Slight friction over the high points of the devices and in the exposed areas of the obverse fields precludes a Mint State designation. Eye appeal is excellent.
From The Collection of Richard W. DeRobertis. (NGC ID# 2623, Variety PCGS# 45731, Base PCGS# 98562)

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap T.O. ! That is a beautiful coin. Would be my favorite as well. Will have to think about mine.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans...That would be my favorite purchase of all time.... Beautiful old gold coin... Congratulations. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, yeah, that's pretty great.

mirabela
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 11:28AM
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

that sure is a nice $10 gold piece. nice score :)

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great question

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to pick up an 1817 Capped Bust Half in PC MS 64. The coin is all there for the grade. I was able to get it at a minimum over dealer cost, because apparently, MS 64 is not deemed to be registry set quality for the series and no one else wanted it. It's a very hard to find, nice, collector coin.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 12:46PM

There have been some nice pieces in this thread...the year is not over yet.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome 1799 Gold Topo! Wonderful strike with a great look!
    Congratulations!

AB

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

TO,
    That 1799 $10 could be the centerpiece in most collections.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

I finally was able to pick up a $20 1855 O that has a mast majority of its original skin. IT is a AU 53 but was graded AU 55 in the mid to late 1980s. Only thing I can think of is the owner at that time saw the AU 58 on Cointfacts and though it should grade higher.

That 1799 is a very nice coin as it has it all. I only wish old coins could talk as they would have some extremely interesting stories to tell about what they bought. I doubt that Eagle would have an extensive list as it has not been involved in many commercial transaction and spent a vast majority of the time in banks for reserves. Thanks for showing.

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW what an amazing coin Ronyahski! Congratulations on such a treasure!
    David that SLQ is awesome!
    What a great thread with some great coins!

AB

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:
    Maybe this coin. 1838 Classic Head Gold in PCGS 66. I viewed this coin at auction years ago and thought it was the most gorgeous Classic Head Gold piece in existence. I bid very aggressively for it, but alas, I was underbidder to some dude named Pogue. Never thought I would see it again, but goes to show you, you never know.

Part of the Pogue auction in May 2016. Finest known, and only 1 of 4 Classic Head $5s to grade MS 66.

Wow, that is a gorgeous coin!

Glad you were able to pick it up again. I have a few pieces that I missed and think I may never get another chance.

Now that you have it, do you like it with or without the Pogue pedigree?

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Ronyahski said:
    Maybe this coin. 1838 Classic Head Gold in PCGS 66. I viewed this coin at auction years ago and thought it was the most gorgeous Classic Head Gold piece in existence. I bid very aggressively for it, but alas, I was underbidder to some dude named Pogue. Never thought I would see it again, but goes to show you, you never know.

Part of the Pogue auction in May 2016. Finest known, and only 1 of 4 Classic Head $5s to grade MS 66.

Glad you were able to pick it up again. I have a few pieces that I missed and think I may never get another chance.
    the

Maybe eventually without. The overall quality of Pogue collection is beyond reproach, and that name will forever be a valuable pedigree. However, I've been fortunate to have assembled a complete set of Classic Heads that exceeds the quality and completeness of the Pogue collection, or Bass, and as far as my research tells me, anybody else.

Couldn't have done it without having included some coins from the Pogue and Bass collections, and some of my coins still carry the Bass pedigree on the slabs as well. I don't know, we'll see.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure is a lot of great stuff in this thread. Daryl, that $5 is incredible. Congratulations -- if that's the caliber of the set you've been building, then it must be something to see.

mirabela
  • Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:

@Zoins said:

@Ronyahski said:

the

Maybe eventually without. The overall quality of Pogue collection is beyond reproach, and that name will forever be a valuable pedigree. However, I've been fortunate to have assembled a complete set of Classic Heads that exceeds the quality and completeness of the Pogue collection, or Bass, and as far as my research tells me, anybody else.

Couldn't have done it without having included some coins from the Pogue and Bass collections, and some of my coins still carry the Bass pedigree on the slabs as well. I don't know, we'll see.

Really? That is outstanding. Congratulations! Truly, very impressive.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:
    This is my favorite purchase of 2016. It crossed as a PCGS AU-53

A close second:

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

C Dude,
    Your 1810 $5 is amazing and my favorite of your NEWPS.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

@HandH said:

For US coinage, this was my favorite for my Civil War half eagle collection.

Wow !

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread just keeps getting better..... fantastic coins....difficult to comment on each one that stands out....There have been some fantastic acquisitions this year. Well done people..... They are all coins to be proud of. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file