Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2022 10:14AM

Whew !

I almost closed this fleabay offer.

Then I looked up production info at Moonlight Mint.

I found 700 fantasy errors produced that are exactly same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265484632901

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    Whew !

Holy cow why such a crazy price for something that? It has a boatload of them for mintage.

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mitchell said:
    My Norse arrived today. I won't embarrass myself by including a crappy photo of the medal (which is excellent btw). Instead, take a look at the great set of Lucy stamps on my envelope:

The medal does not have any residual artifacts of the original coin while viewing without any magnification.

Looks like Hershey Kisses and Judy Garland stamps.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    Whew !

I believe these are around $240 on CCN through the Chopper.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

240 is a better admission price. I actually got autodeclined on my 250, 265, 285 best offers. Then I looked up production info. Next time I will access mintage data first. I haven't bought a DC goodie in a while. This M.A.D. ,but not actually a legit M.A.D. error offering got my hopes up.
    I wondered why the Reverse was fully struck, now I know.
    Cool !

@pcgscacgold said:

@LindyS said:
    Whew !

I believe these are around $240 on CCN through the Chopper.

Anticipating Dab's new designs coming up so Iimaged some of what I have on tried out then gray background again.

Neve noticed the die cracks before, Cool!
    /

@dcarr said:

@coinsarefun said:

Never noticed the die cracks before, Cool!
    /

Actually, that is not a die crack on the arm. It is the residual outline of the arm from the original host coin showing through.

Good to know, thanks Dan.

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    Arrived today!

Kudos on both the coin, and your holder - well done!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭

My Norse arrived today. Very well done, Mr Carr. When tilting coin under light, you can see ghost remnants of the underlying Walking Liberty Half. I also seem to have inadvertently started a shipping envelope collection.

😊

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it but the surface is not as pleasant as some earlier creations of Dan's....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I like it but the surface is not as pleasant as some earlier creations of Dan's....

Which one are you referring to?

Other silver eagles, and on the larger format - I would have thought them more difficult than a smaller module like the half.`

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    I just had to pick me up one more Norse. This one has a much stronger WLH undertype.
    The black image shows it better, even the sun came out to play…..lol

The design appears like he might just accidentally circumcise himself.

• nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:

@coinsarefun said:
    I just had to pick me up one more Norse. This one has a much stronger WLH undertype.
    The black image shows it better, even the sun came out to play…..lol

The design appears like he might just accidentally circumcise himself.

I can’t unsee this now 😳

• heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭

Never reholster your dagger while under the influence of Mead.

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

I’m for a Daniel Carr Club for sure‼️‼️👀🎯👍👍🎯🎯🎯> @Zoins said:

>

It would be great to have a Dan Carr Club or something similar where people can get together and share their rare Moonlight Mint items!

I have this piece which says DCC on the obverse. I like to think of it standing for "Dan Carr Club" but it really stands for "Denver Coin Club".

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    I spend a lot of time searching DCs online record of mint output. There are a few items I hope to see in person some day. A 2.5 oz gold token like this is one of them. There are also a few rectangular shaped silver bars that look really cool online.

There are certainly a lot of rare and wonderful things Dan's created over the years!

I just got back from the annual So-Called Dollar Fellowship and I was able to see very rare and high condition pieces that I would normally never get a chance to see.

It would be great to have a Dan Carr Club or something similar where people can get together and share their rare Moonlight Mint items!

I have this piece which says DCC on the obverse. I like to think of it standing for "Dan Carr Club" but it really stands for "Denver Coin Club".

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    I spend a lot of time searching DCs online record of mint output. There are a few items I hope to see in person some day. A 2.5 oz gold token like this is one of them. There are also a few rectangular shaped silver bars that look really cool online.

There are certainly a lot of rare and wonderful things Dan's created over the years!

I just got back from the annual So-Called Dollar Fellowship and I was able to see very rare and high condition pieces that I would normally never get a chance to see.

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

![]

@Metal said:
    Those double eagle overstrikes are beautiful. I had every intention of buying an 1848 cal, but finances being what they were, I couldn't get the host coin before he ended production.
    The next historical overstrike he decides to make, I'm in.

@dcarr said:

@GRANDAM said:

@dcarr said:

@Akbeez said:
    Are your double eagle overstrikes shipping? I think mine was the last to send in ~~ have not gotten any shipping notice yet.

All have been shipped.
    The shipping email notifications are sent automatically when I mark the order as "shipped" in the store's database.
    But if it was a mailed-in order (payment by check with host coin), then there is no order in the store's database to mark as "shipped". In some cases I might not even have or know the buyer's email address.

Would it be possible to have the USPS Tracking number added to the ship notice when the order ships? I don't know if that could be set-up to be automatic so it doesn't cost you a lot of time to do it manually?

If I was using shipping labels, there might be a way to do that (with some effort to set it up).
    But most of the time I am using up bunches of older stamps (that don't work with shipping labels). And so I would have to look up, and then manually enter into the database, every tracking number.

Expensive shipments are always sent via Registered mail, so there is always a trail to follow (if necessary).

@dcarr said:

@GRANDAM said:

@dcarr said:

@Akbeez said:
    Are your double eagle overstrikes shipping? I think mine was the last to send in ~~ have not gotten any shipping notice yet.

All have been shipped.
    The shipping email notifications are sent automatically when I mark the order as "shipped" in the store's database.
    But if it was a mailed-in order (payment by check with host coin), then there is no order in the store's database to mark as "shipped". In some cases I might not even have or know the buyer's email address.

Would it be possible to have the USPS Tracking number added to the ship notice when the order ships? I don't know if that could be set-up to be automatic so it doesn't cost you a lot of time to do it manually?

If I was using shipping labels, there might be a way to do that (with some effort to set it up).
    But most of the time I am using up bunches of older stamps (that don't work with shipping labels). And so I would have to look up, and then manually enter into the database, every tracking number.

Expensive shipments are always sent via Registered mail, so there is always a trail to follow (if necessary).

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

A flock of 2014's . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

edited January 14, 2022 9:28PM

@Nickpatton said:

>

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

![]

@Metal said:
    Those double eagle overstrikes are beautiful. I had every intention of buying an 1848 cal, but finances being what they were, I couldn't get the host coin before he ended production.

@dcarr said:

@GRANDAM said:

@dcarr said:

@Akbeez said:

All have been shipped.

@dcarr said:

@GRANDAM said:

@dcarr said:

@Akbeez said:

All have been shipped.

Okay! Let's move this along, for the name, do we like "Dan Carr Club" or "Moonlight Mint Club"? :)

DCC

Z

@Zoins said:

@Nickpatton said:

>

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

![]

@Metal said:

@dcarr said:

@GRANDAM said:

@dcarr said:

@Akbeez said:

All have been shipped.

@dcarr said:

@GRANDAM said:

@dcarr said:

@Akbeez said:

All have been shipped.

Okay! Let's move this along, for the same, do we like "Dan Carr Club" or "Moonlight Mint Club"? :)

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

I am probably leaning towards DCC since almost every token/coin I own has an Dan Carr ANACS label.

PS. For those wondering, still no word from ANACS about the 9 stolen items. Last contact was 1/4/2022. UPS was still investigating the theft (Holiday delays). No reply to 1/11/2022 email.

@pcgscacgold said:
    I am probably leaning towards DCC since almost every token/coin I own has an Dan Carr ANACS label.

Sounds good!

So who wants to be a charter member of the Dan Carr Club? :)

Of course, we need to ask Dan @dcarr if he's okay with the club and name!

• nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Sounds good!

If we get a chance at a yearly commissioned Dan Carr Club piece then I’m in!!

I’m actually in without the yearly piece, this thread has had so much traffic I think you could get a pretty good club going.

Those are nice. Got my first Octagon at the end of the year. No silver bars yet.

@ZoidMeister said:
    As a charter member of the DCC club, I treated myself to the following:

Z

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must have missed the "5 ouncer". I really like the hologram 3 once bar above.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

I now have all years except the inaugural year, 2015. Still need to hunt down one of those.

I've secured a couple of duplicates along the way as well. I picked them up for trade material.

Z

@pcgscacgold said:
    Those are nice. Got my first Octagon at the end of the year. No silver bars yet.

@ZoidMeister said:
    As a charter member of the DCC club, I treated myself to the following:

Z

• MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Most kids: When I grow up, I wanna be a fireman!
    Dan Carr: When I grow up, I wanna be a Mint! :D
    Suffice to say I'm in awe of his abilities and resources.

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there really a need for another “club”? This forum is a good space already, and doesn’t require any maintenance 😀. The KOTCT is all but dead anymore (even tho it really isn’t about the MM, but sort of morphed that direction).

@nk1nk said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Sounds good!

I’m actually in without the yearly piece, this thread has had so much traffic I think you could get a pretty good club going.

__

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

What does the 2015 go for?

edited January 15, 2022 4:39PM

@Akbeez said:
    Is there really a need for another “club”? This forum is a good space already, and doesn’t require any maintenance 😀. The KOTCT is all but dead anymore (even tho it really isn’t about the MM, but sort of morphed that direction).

@nk1nk said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Sounds good!

I wasn't serious about a Dan Carr Club at first. I was just commenting on the "DCC" on my coin until others showed interest.

I love the KOTCT and it's sad to hear it's all but dead. I collected their pieces for over 10 years. I'll try to drop in and see what's up.

I drop in a couple times per week. It's a virtual ghost town.

Turtle is the most active participant, and I think he's even given up.

Z

@Zoins said:

@Akbeez said:

@nk1nk said:

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Sounds good!

I wasn't serious about a Dan Carr Club at first. I was just commenting on the "DCC" on my coin until others showed interest.

I love the KOTCT and it's sad to hear it's all but dead. I collected their pieces for over 10 years. I'll try to drop in and see what's up.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    What does the 2015 go for?

Good question.

IIRC, a couple years ago an MS70 2015 Octagon was listed on ebay for a fixed price $699.

But I couldn't find any current listings nor recent sales on ebay. So who knows?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2022 5:36PM

@coinsarefun said:

@COCollector said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    I now have all years except the inaugural year, 2015. Still need to hunt down one of those.

I'm lucky to have one. Really like the design and only 95 minted.

>

Are these the 2015-D?
    PS……I should have said…… I don’t know only 95 we’re minted.
    So are these them? I bought three cause I needed to fill the
    Metal the blanks were cut out of.

Where did you store those? Now I have to visit my safety deposit box and see if my Octagons have toned.

Anyway, yes, it looks like you've got three 1.5 oz 2015 silver octagons. Mintages are listed HERE (scroll down to the section titled "2015 Clark Gruber & Co. Gold & Silver Rounds & Octagons").

Edit: AFAIK, all the 2015 1.5 oz silver Octagons have the "D" mintmark. If I'm wrong, maybe Dan will chime in.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@COCollector said:

@coinsarefun said:

@COCollector said:

@ZoidMeister said:

I'm lucky to have one. Really like the design and only 95 minted.

>

Are these the 2015-D?
    PS……I should have said…… I don’t know only 95 we’re minted.
    So are these them? I bought three cause I needed to fill the
    Metal the blanks were cut out of.

u

Where did you store those? Now I have to visit my safety deposit box and see if my Octagons have toned.

Anyway, yes, it looks like you've got three 1.5 oz 2015 silver octagons. Mintages are listed

Thanks, they were stored in the safe on top of the strips that I had and over the years everything toned.
    All of the coins are toned now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file