Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! So if you used an AG grade slick cull host, would it just come out thinner but fully struck? Or a weak strike?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    WOW! So if you used an AG grade slick cull host, would it just come out thinner but fully struck? Or a weak strike?

A smooth AG coin could work ok. But when circulated for that long the effects go down into the coin farther than just the outer surface. For example, a coin that was heavily worn will still have a slightly grayish tinge even after cleaning and/or over-striking.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

More pieces added this morning. Final mintages added on some ... B)

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

Thank you Bull. I sent you a pm

• Options
    WDHWDH Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

@dcarr Would it be possible to see a video of die preparation, press setup and coining process for one of your Morgans?

• Options

@WDH said:
    @dcarr Would it be possible to see a video of die preparation, press setup and coining process for one of your Morgans?

A video like that, with an angle on how VAM varieties are created, has been taped. But it will probably be a while before it is edited and released.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2019 1:22PM

For KOTCT members. Ordering instructions are posted by Dan

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1995 Morgan Dollars are "sold out" in both versions.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2019 2:55PM

I have wanted to post a couple observations, but got logged out here that required me to make new password a month or so ago. No biggie, remaining quiet is/was cool too.

Anyways, Anyone else notice the 3 new & currently in deep production run silver eagle dollars in this month, December 2019 ? I kind of dig the Roman numerals version !

http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_2.htm

And the last 28 minted 1931S Fantasy Dollars that were re struck with retooled Reverse Die ?
    I think the ones I just received are retooled version. Sweet !

http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_28.htm

It dawned on me the 1931S $ is more interesting in that Daniel removed the sword from his die, you know, just like the Mint did way back in the day !
    The super high relief imparted by both dies is an additional bonus !

Happy Shopping !!!

Lindy

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping to get the '95 for Christmas to myself along with the '31-S Peace, but alas I must await.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Don't wait on the 31S $.
    From "me to me" is always the best gift !

The 1995 $ is awesome, no regrets here, but you know, all gone now.

Dan has really taken this art form to a higher level. The fantasies I picked up this month are Stunning !

@SaorAlba said:
    I was hoping to get the '95 for Christmas to myself along with the '31-S Peace, but alas I must await.

• Options

@LindyS is the retooled 31 reverse noticeably different? I got one of the last Bulk finished and not sure I can tell -- although may be mixed in with others...

And thanks for posting the new ASEs -- looks like multiple finishes. Ouch my wallet!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

Its minor Akbeez , some extra lines carved in the rays. Maybe some extra detail in EPU. I did not buy any till December so I am comparing to Daniel's stock image. To me the big thing is how amazing this High Relief 31S Peace is. Well that and it is still available.

@Akbeez said:
    @LindyS is the retooled 31 reverse noticeably different? I got one of the last Bulk finished and not sure I can tell -- although may be mixed in with others...

And thanks for posting the new ASEs -- looks like multiple finishes. Ouch my wallet!

• Options

@LindyS said:
    Its minor Akbeez , some extra lines carved in the rays. Maybe some extra detail in EPU. I did not buy any till December so I am comparing to Daniel's stock image. To me the big thing is how amazing this High Relief 31S Peace is. Well that and it is still available.

No more than 7 remain.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:

Don't wait on the 31S $.
    From "me to me" is always the best gift !

The 1995 $ is awesome, no regrets here, but you know, all gone now.

Dan has really taken this art form to a higher level. The fantasies I picked up this month are Stunning !

@SaorAlba said:

I think Dan posted that he is doing some more '95's later this month.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

The 1995 $ are "final, sold out" now. As Daniel said he would, he did post more pieces before 5am December 10th, along with posting more 2009 $ , which is also now "final & sold out" too.

1995$ final mintage is 132, of which 89 are high grade

http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_32.htm

2009 $ final mintage is 84 & all high grade

• Options

This was the post from above that Chief posted later that morning on December 10th about more pieces being available with finals noted

@Bullsitter said:

• Options
    edited December 21, 2019 7:37AM

Seeing the 3 new ASEs and knowing that the 1920 Broken Sword is just around the corner is killing me.

Santa Claus is coming to town... B)

• Options

The 2009 Satin Finish ASE looks like the "King" of the Carr ASE's with a mintage of only 84.

• Options

Looks like the 31S Peace $ may be sold out now ?

• Options

YES, there were only a handful left -- and they were VERY nice pieces. I think these high-reliefs are some of my favs of the MM. Looking forward to the next iteration.

BTW, I got my 31-S Peace Bulk Finish with the reverse tweaks, I think it was the last one of it's kind sold. The rays are somewhat improved, but looks like essentially die-polishing under closeup pics. They are easy to see under close inspection. Will these qualify as a "Type-2 1931-S Peace"?

• Options

The three new Silver Eagle over-strikes shown on my production blog are commissioned products. I may offer some of those directly at a later date (maybe early Spring).

Production plans for January 2020 include:
    "1920" Broken Sword Peace over-strike;
    "1920-D" Morgan over-strike (based on the 1921 obverse and reverse hub style);

I have sculpts ready for several other fantasy-date over-strikes with undetermined issue dates (some possibly as soon as late January). I have also prepared a sculpt for the 2020 Clark Gruber silver octagon.

I am considering another possible release (feel free to comment on this topic):
    As many people are aware in 2010 I over-struck Peace Dollars with "1964-D". Since 2010 I have improved my sculpting/engraving capability and over-striking process. The "1964-D" Peace over-strikes of 2010 were pretty good, but I could do better today. Normally, I still wouldn't make more of something like that. But some new information has come to light. I have obtained high-resolution images of the US Mint's obverse hub/die for the 1964 Peace Dollar. Although no associated imagery is available for the reverse, due to the characteristics of the obverse it is possible to accurately infer what the reverse would have looked like. If I did another round of "1964" Peace over-strikes they would be considered "Die Pair 8". Die Pars 1 through 4 had limited success (or failure). Die Pair 5 was the best of the 2010 era and about 800 over-strikes were produced before the dies were accidently and irreparably damaged. That led to Die Pair 6 which had a production of about 950 (with 180 of those being proof-like, 152 matte, and about 64 made with clashed and/or "X"-cancelled dies). Die Pair 7 (in 2014) was for over-strikes dated "1965-D", and 523 of those were produced.

The previous "1964-D" and "1965-D" over-strikes all had an extra (4th) ray below ONE, similar to some of the original 1935-S Peace Dollars. If I were to do a Die Pair 8 "1964" Peace over-strike, it would not have the 4th ray. So that alone would make it easily identifiable and differentiate them from the 2010 issues. Other possible differentiators (if any) could include: no "D" mint mark; a small "D" mint mark like the 1922-1927 coins; a "DC" mint mark; and/or some sort of counter-stamping. If I went ahead with something like this, I would expect to produce a maximum of 500 to 1,000 pieces. Supporting imagery for the product would, of course, include images of the over-strike and also the image of the original hub/die.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2019 7:18PM

Good info Dan. If you did another batch of 1964-D’s, it would be great to do some proof-likes with the new updates.

Another option would be to do some 1970-dated Peace dollars which were also considered by the Mint.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Dan. I will be watching for their release. Your Peace Dollar over-strikes are works of beauty.

• Options

Awesome Mr. Dan! I really like the dual finishes of the ASE's you posted -- very innovative. I would certainly be down for a few so hope you release some. When you work under commission, can you retail those pieces under contract? I would think the contractor would want exclusive rights.

As for the high-relief Peace Dollars, I'm in the club that thinks they are the catz azz of your overstrikes. IMHO I suggest making them easily identifiable vs the earlier die pairs. A different mm would work as some die differences would go unnoticed by many. Dual finishes?? I'm guessing you will keep the Broken Arrows for the 2020+ series.

And of course, us collectors would prefer lower mintages too... ;)

Thanks for the opp to comment!

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2019 11:26PM

Dan, based on your new info, I'm all for a new improved version of your 1964 Peace Dollar.

But I can understand why some collectors might object, worrying that a new version might de-value the old.

Maybe you can appease any nay-sayers with some new finishes (circulated, antiqued, and ?).

BTW, have you ever done a "burnished" finish? Not sure if it's do-able for an overstrike...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXiKSnoppvc

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

@COCollector said:
    Dan, based on your new info, I'm all for a new improved version of your 1964 Peace Dollar.

But I can understand why some collectors might object, worrying that a new version might de-value the old.

Maybe you can appease any nay-sayers with some new finishes (circulated, antiqued, and ?).

BTW, have you ever done a "burnished" finish? Not sure if it's do-able for an overstrike...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXiKSnoppvc

Most of the over-strikes that I do are burnished in some way or another.
    Burnishing prior to over-striking can make the difference between a coin that comes out MS-68 and one that comes out MS-70. Beyond that, there is not a lot of discernible difference without the aid of magnification.

The prior "1964-D" Peace over-strikes were mostly brilliant satin ("high-grade" and "bulk-handled"), proof-like, or matte. The surface contours of Peace Dollars are not well-suited for a Proof-like finish (although it can be accomplished with some effort). Antiqued and/or color-toned would be a possibility that wasn't done before.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that a "Die Pair 8" issue of 500 to 1,000 would depress the value of the Die Pair 5 and Die Pair 6 over-strikes. It might, but it might also increase interest in the issues of 2010.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Good info Dan. If you did another batch of 1964-D’s, it would be great to do some proof-likes with the new updates.

Another option would be to do some 1970-dated Peace dollars which were also considered by the Mint.

A "1970" Peace over-strike is also pending (fairly soon). I have a 1970-dated sculpt ready for engraving.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2019 12:07AM

Dan, I was just about to ask about the 1970 Peace Dollar you mentioned in a long-ago post.

Coincidentally, 2020 is the 150th Anniversary of the Carson City Mint: http://mint150.com/

So, how about a 1970 "CC" Peace Dollar?

BTW, the Bill (H.R. 6221) for a CC commemorative "Died in a previous Congress": https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr6221

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

@COCollector said:
    Dan, I was just about to ask about the 1970 Peace Dollar you mentioned in a long-ago post.

Coincidentally, 2020 is the 150th Anniversary of the Carson City Mint: http://mint150.com/

BTW, the Bill (H.R. 6221) for a CC commemorative "Died in a previous Congress": https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr6221

I will probably do a couple different "CC" fantasy-date over-strikes in 2020. I also plan to do some sort of Carson City Mint sesquicentennial medal (although I haven't decided on any design elements as of yet). I don't plan on doing any "CC" Morgan or Peace items. But a Seated Liberty "CC" of some sort is likely.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2019 1:24AM

@dcarr said:

@COCollector said:

I will probably do a couple different "CC" fantasy-date over-strikes in 2020. I also plan to do some sort of Carson City Mint sesquicentennial medal (although I haven't decided on any design elements as of yet). I don't plan on doing any "CC" Morgan or Peace items. But a Seated Liberty "CC" of some sort is likely.

A Seated Liberty piece would be great!

How about a gold CC as well?

• Options

@Zoins said:

...A Seated Liberty piece would be great!...

Agreed! Especially a "CC".

• Options

@COCollector said:

@Zoins said:

...A Seated Liberty piece would be great!...

Agreed! Especially a "CC".

Of course, my vote would be for a dollar :)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not crazy about another 1964 dated coin, and would be much more enthusiastic about a 1970 dated coin. I don't see a CC mintmark on a peace dollar.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2019 4:45PM

@dcarr said:

@Zoins said:

A "1970" Peace over-strike is also pending (fairly soon). I have a 1970-dated sculpt ready for engraving.

Good to know! Have you decided on what finishes you are going to do? It would be great to have some proof-likes :)

• Options
    edited January 4, 2020 3:20PM

;^)

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

Lindy

@dcarr said:
    The three new Silver Eagle over-strikes shown on my production blog are commissioned products. I may offer some of those directly at a later date (maybe early Spring).

Production plans for January 2020 include:
    "1920" Broken Sword Peace over-strike;
    "1920-D" Morgan over-strike (based on the 1921 obverse and reverse hub style);

I have sculpts ready for several other fantasy-date over-strikes with undetermined issue dates (some possibly as soon as late January). I have also prepared a sculpt for the 2020 Clark Gruber silver octagon.

I am considering another possible release (feel free to comment on this topic):
    As many people are aware in 2010 I over-struck Peace Dollars with "1964-D". Since 2010 I have improved my sculpting/engraving capability and over-striking process. The "1964-D" Peace over-strikes of 2010 were pretty good, but I could do better today. Normally, I still wouldn't make more of something like that. But some new information has come to light. I have obtained high-resolution images of the US Mint's obverse hub/die for the 1964 Peace Dollar. Although no associated imagery is available for the reverse, due to the characteristics of the obverse it is possible to accurately infer what the reverse would have looked like. If I did another round of "1964" Peace over-strikes they would be considered "Die Pair 8". Die Pars 1 through 4 had limited success (or failure). Die Pair 5 was the best of the 2010 era and about 800 over-strikes were produced before the dies were accidently and irreparably damaged. That led to Die Pair 6 which had a production of about 950 (with 180 of those being proof-like, 152 matte, and about 64 made with clashed and/or "X"-cancelled dies). Die Pair 7 (in 2014) was for over-strikes dated "1965-D", and 523 of those were produced.

The previous "1964-D" and "1965-D" over-strikes all had an extra (4th) ray below ONE, similar to some of the original 1935-S Peace Dollars. If I were to do a Die Pair 8 "1964" Peace over-strike, it would not have the 4th ray. So that alone would make it easily identifiable and differentiate them from the 2010 issues. Other possible differentiators (if any) could include: no "D" mint mark; a small "D" mint mark like the 1922-1927 coins; a "DC" mint mark; and/or some sort of counter-stamping. If I went ahead with something like this, I would expect to produce a maximum of 500 to 1,000 pieces. Supporting imagery for the product would, of course, include images of the over-strike and also the image of the original hub/die.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2020 12:31PM

@dcarr please do not make anymore 1964 Peace dollars I fill like you will lower the value of your originals witch I have alot of money invested in ! and all along people I showed them too said whats to keep him from making more well here we go all thought they would be different they would still be 1964 ! I have not been on here for ten months and nobody noticed so unlike me when a member doesn't post I have been concerned never again !

• Options
    edited January 1, 2020 1:41PM

@1940coupe brings up good a point. I've always thought that the market can absorb more 1964 Peace Dollars because of a couple existing examples, including the following Bashlow Restrikes and the FSNC Original Jefferson Nickel with mintages of 1938 in satin and 1938 in proof. That being said, in addition to strictly quantity, there is something to be said if more of something can be made at a later date. Once that happens, what's to say that more of other popular items won't be remade? Opening this can of worms is perhaps more important than actual mintage quantity. Using different finishes or mintmarks as mentioned by @COCollector and @LindyS may help mitigate this particular concern but it would be good to hear more on this specifically.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

DC: Not in favor of more 1964's, a 1970 would be interesting with your new findings

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:
    DC: Not in favor of more 1964's, a 1970 would be interesting with your new findings

I wouldn't be opposed to a 1964 with the ultra high relief as shown in the 1917, 18, 19 and 31-S.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2020 3:28PM

I personally like the high-relief without a "D" mint mark option, though I would be okay with a high relief 1964-D as well. The high relief coin is the original way the Mint intended so that is inline with having pictures that show "exactly what an original 1964 Peace Dollar obverse looked like". This is from my perspective a collector that hasn't sold any Dan Carr pieces since first collecting them in 2006.

I'm guessing there may be some questions about what happens when you further improve your techniques in the future which I'm sure will happen.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say go for it on the 1964-D Peace Dollars. They won't be the same as the originals and I would think it would increase demand for the originals and not decrease it. Most collectors are OCD so the new buyers will drive up prices on the older pcs as they want a complete set.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2020 3:22PM

Happy New Year y'all…. B) ...I'm ready to add to my cart.... :#

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I'd much rather see some new Daniel Carr designs in 2020. No offense, but I feel the overstruck fantasy coins of every date are getting a bit out of hand.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited January 1, 2020 4:35PM

@DCW said:
    Personally, I'd much rather see some new Daniel Carr designs in 2020.

Which of his designs do you like the best? Do you like any of his themes like the Hard Times tokens?

I like the Hard Times tokens series a lot because they related to the hard economic times in the US but I think time are getting better all around. Perhaps some Roaring 20s tokens?

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

Which of his designs do you like the best? Do you like any of his themes like the Hard Times tokens?

I do like the HTTs! The money trees, Uncle Scam, the panda pissing on the world. Some great pieces in the beginning. Somewhere along the way, it seems his focus shifted to missing dates in US Coin series.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited January 1, 2020 4:39PM

@DCW said:

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

I do like the HTTs! The money trees, Uncle Scam, the panda pissing on the world. Some great pieces in the beginning. Somewhere along the way, it seems his focus shifted to missing dates in US Coin series.

Those are great examples. I like the money trees and general slogans about being financially responsible. I think it may be nice for Dan to do his own rendition of the "Time is Money" theme and other classic sayings as well.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2020 3:17PM

;^)

Lindy

@dcarr said:
    My thinking was that since I now have a good picture which shows exactly what an original 1964 Peace Dollar obverse looked like, and my engraving techniques have improved since 2010, I could do a better job on a "1964" Peace over-strike than I did previously. That is why I wanted to do it again.

The "1970" over-strike is going to happen either way. There is still time to think about the "1964". One option would be to do it as a high-relief without a "D" mint mark.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file