Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Official Standing Liberty 2016 Centennial Gold Coin Thread

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Mine has been shipped!

I'm guessing that the mint had already packaged thousands of these coins and that all they have to do is print out shipping labels and then slap them on the packages. The market will soon be inundated with these coins but with a household limit of only one I'm guessing that most will not be flipped any time soon.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    Originally posted by: Manorcourtman
    When is this going to be declared a Flipper's flop? I'm calling it first......

I couldn't care less if it flops or not. I bought one because I'm a collector and I like this very attractive coin.

Same here Perry. I love the design.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered at 8:15pm est. took all of 3 minutes. I hope it does better than the 2016 W APE.

USMO 44535**

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that statement adds up. If most are not flipped the market will not be flooded. Flips create floods.
    As a note, this is my first ever mint product, and I'm buying it because this design is beautiful in gold. I think it'll do very well for those who like to sell.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the household limit of one and these still not sold out, I think we get a clearer picture of how many people are actually collecting these. Probably means that there are 50,000 extra gold dimes out there looking for a home.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 3stars

With the household limit of one and these still not sold out, I think we get a clearer picture of how many people are actually collecting these. Probably means that there are 50,000 extra gold dimes out there looking for a home.

I was thinking the same thing. Inventories must be high somewhere.
  • Options

In the past the mint would raise the household limit after a few weeks if the coin hadn't sold out. With about 55,000 sold after a little more than eight hours I would expect a sell out in a few days. As we get close to the mintage limit I would also expect the sales to accelerate.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont do these things often. Here's my order #USM044538XX placed just a few mins ago.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Manorcourtman

When is this going to be declared a Flipper's flop? I'm calling it first......

Everyone, lately, seems to want to call everything a "flipper's flop". I'm not sure why that is so important to some.

There are always homeruns and always flops. It happens.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't care for the dime, but I really like this one.

Ordered one, no problems with the site.
    Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100,000 mintage means enjoy keeping your pretty Standing Liberty gold quarter in your collection.....why?....... she has no upside in flippage. image

edited to add: I finally kept my credit card in my pants on this one!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Approx. 55,800 orders now.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

In the past the mint would raise the household limit after a few weeks if the coin hadn't sold out. With about 55,000 sold after a little more than eight hours I would expect a sell out in a few days. As we get close to the mintage limit I would also expect the sales to accelerate.

I believe it will take a few weeks or more to sell out since most everybody who wanted one ordered today. These will likely be available from the mint in October if the HH limit stays at 1.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought mine to keep because it is a dang beautiful design, along with the dime I got earlier and the half to come. I think a lot of people will keep them just for the beauty!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got this and probably will get the half direct. The dime premium is way more palatable for the masses and probably will stay that way for a bit...that's my guess anyway and why I will snag a dime down the road to ultimately have my set that will sit until I'm dispersed.
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know how many have sold so far?
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FadeToBlack

I'd rather have a MS64 1917 Type 1.

Can't blame you. Funny thing is, I'm just the opposite. I've looked at Type 1 FH's for years and never pulled the trigger on one. However, with this golden version, had to have it.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed that the Mint web site reverted to the version in use prior to this morning. Hmmmm. An experiment failed? Thoughts?

On a sell out of the SLQ, it could be weeks or even months away. The gold dime still has 8,894 left of a total mintage of 125,000, 7%. That's from April 21st, 140 days ago. The dime page does say "This product is currently unavailable" and has for most of these 140 days. Will these left overs become available? Are they returns with flaws that leave them unsalable? Once in hand how many of the SLQ's won't pass muster and be returned? I don't think there will be that many. But after a month or so will about the same 7% remain, 7100 unsold? Lets check the production report at the end of October.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my order in within first few minutes, USM0439XXXX, and got email coin shipped out today.

Ordered one and keeping one to accompany the one dime I also kept. Will order the half when it becomes available to complete the set.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FadeToBlack
    I'd rather have a MS64 1917 Type 1.

Actually that was the primary motivation for me to add the gold Standing Liberty to my MS64 silver 1917 Type 1 making it a "set" along with the 1916s which "I wish" were even close to that grade. image
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    I bought mine to keep because it is a dang beautiful design, along with the dime I got earlier and the half to come. I think a lot of people will keep them just for the beauty!

Agree!!!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I ordered one but like the version D. Carr did of his "1915" with a bit more attention on the obverse. I really like (at least the pictures) of the reverse in gold however.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ordered UPS overnight.

Do they deliver on Saturday?
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

• Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

Same here.
  • Options

True. The 27mm "Walker" will really be something to behold. I hope!

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Still available...

• Options
    One of the more attractive aspects of these gold centennial coins is the known number of coins in the set, which is three. Easy to purchase and easy to complete what will be a very unique and attractive set. Profit potential is the furthest thing from my mind.
    Robert
  • Options
    Robert
  • Options
    Mine shipped today. UPS ground.

• Options
    MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have an idea of about how many have been sold?
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    47,884 according to coin world for the first day
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    They will be around for quite awhile
  • Options
    MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of the 2009 UHR with 1 per household and you know what happen there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MrD

Reminds me of the 2009 UHR with 1 per household and you know what happen there.

Yep, the spot price of gold went up from $800 to $1900 and the UHRs went along for the ride. If gold doubles in price next year these will be worth some serious change.

• Options
    Originally posted by: BigA

They will be around for quite awhile

Agree. Since they are gold they should be around for many centuries.

• Options
    Anybody order one this morning? What was the order number?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MWKMWK Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
    I'm only a casual collector of coins and thus don't really follow the U.S. Mint's web site so I was totally unaware of this series until yesterday. Totally missed out on the Mercury dime and I don't know if I'll be able to purchase it at a reasonable price.

Anyhow, I placed an order for the Standing Liberty quarter yesterday, Friday, September 9, at 05:20 PM CDT and my order number is: 4462xxx

Looks like I should be getting a coin. image
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope the order number isn't the number of orders.

Yeah, I fell for it, too. Today.

We'll see.

My REAL coins are gonna be pissed, but they're locked up so who cares?

(note: heading off subsequent posts reminding me this IS a real coin) image
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone checked to see if the Mint will ship to CAC?

• Options
    Originally posted by: topstuf

Hope the order number isn't the number of orders.

Yeah, I fell for it, too. Today.

We'll see.

My REAL coins are gonna be pissed, but they're locked up so who cares?

(note: heading off subsequent posts reminding me this IS a real coin) image

Does anybody know at what point in the ordering process an order number is assigned? If somebody tries to order one to a household address they have already used, or on a credit card number they have already used, or whatever, and the order is rejected, is it rejected before or after the order number is assigned?

And do we have any new order numbers from today?
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Hate to state the obvious but....there are a lot of collectors placing lots of orders for many different products. Keeping track of order numbers four days after the fact is kinda worthless
  • Options
    So what is an order number for a coin purchased today?
  • Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    Still not sold out eh?
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my shipping email this morning.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: topstuf

Has anyone checked to see if the Mint will ship to CAC?

They probably will if you use that as a shipping address.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DrBuster

Got my shipping email this morning.

Got mine Friday and it said USPS priority mail, but the tracking # goes to UPS.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as there is eBay, there won't be a sellout. A lot of resellers keep the game on.

On another note , I stand at attention during the National Anthem.
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    anyone got them in hand yet?
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file