Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Official Standing Liberty 2016 Centennial Gold Coin Thread

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely no issues whatsoever just now, 2pm.

USM04442xxx
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally! USM04442XXX
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

Originally posted by: Paulyaces76

wow looks like only 5-7K's in the past 20 min. This might not sell out today and if it stalls in the 70k range tonight this might be up for a while!

I have to agree. It looks like around 37-38,000 the first hour and maybe only 5,000 the second hour? Not sure what the highest number is now, but of those on the forum posting, this seems to have leveled off a lot.

4442xxx is the highest I've seen. Roughly 44,000 sold so far. Guessing 50,000 sell today. Maybe more but not a sell out.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to cancel one order. No cancel box. Is there a way to cancel?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raufus

With the new fulfillment process I believe you can only cancel by phone. I'll bet these start shipping today with the majority leaving tomorrow.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SLQ
    It took less than a minute. USM04441xxx

From the OP to everyone - Thanks all for contributing to this thread.

It was most interesting to see the progression. Certainly a different ordering experience after the first hour. I gave up after the first twenty minutes after repeated experiences like others have reported such as getting all the way to "confirm your order" multiple times only to have the U.S. Mint's server blank out.

Came back at 12:50 P.M. ET and order went through without a hitch.

It has now been two hours since the U.S. Mint started taking orders with apparently 40% of the coins now sold. Good chance half or more will be gone before the day is over.

FWIW, my own order number is 4435---.

(By the way, GovMint is already offering NGC holdered First Strikes with the 70 grade for an approximate $250 dollar premium. I am guessing for close to $100 one could get the First Strike/Early Release holder from PCGS after adding the cost of membership and grading fees. Already a member, $40 less.)

Thanks in advance to those who continue posting to this thread with your order numbers to help us estimate just how many actually get sold today and forward.
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I've been away from the forums for awhile but I did get in on this.

Order #4435xxx

Probably try to flip it. We'll see. I missed out on the Merc.

Edit: If they ship these out of Plainfield Indiana today UPS Ground, I'll get it tomorrow. Do they still ship from Plainfield? I haven't ordered from the mint in over a year.
    GMan
  • Options
    BillsonBillson Posts: 77 ✭✭✭
    Pending charge in my credit card. shipping soon?

Successful BST transactions:
    Buy and sold to Wondercoin,
    Buy from: mbogoman, sol15g

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see about 70 already sold in the $600+ range in eBay pre-sales, and over 200 new ones listed already. Several listed now below $600 BIN with confirmed orders. There is still some margin for flipping, but with a starting cost of $490, for those who pay 10% seller fees and 3% PayPal fees and offer "free shipping and insurance" this will not be much of a success at all in the mint boxes. There should still be some good early success for those getting 70's back graded by our hosts.

I hope they lower the mintages for the half dollar quite a bit.

If Hillary would just sell the Mint her personal server, we could all get these ordered much faster, and they could include a cancel button to wipe our orders clean off the records, if we change our minds.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a bunch of tries and a few cuss words, mine finally did go thru via Galaxy mobile phone. Order # is USM04427XXX at 12:31 Eastern time.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    In & out within seconds.

USM04444XXX
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Kudbegud
    Originally posted by: Raufus

With the new fulfillment process I believe you can only cancel by phone. I'll bet these start shipping today with the majority leaving tomorrow.

Unfortunately no way to get through in the phone.

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    44450xx for my third and last.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: delistamps
    44450xx for my third and last.

Sounds like that officially puts it over 50% sold within the first three hours.
  • Options
    TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Couldn't order one through the US Mint website, but I just placed an order at 2:55 PM EDT. I asked if they were close to selling out and she couldn't answer that question. Hope it turns out to be worth it.
  • Options
    Well, even though I knew, really I did, that this wouldn't sell out immediately, what with the 100,000 mintage and the order limit of one, I still HAD to get my order in at Noon image
    As I posted earlier in this thread, I had a lot of trouble with the Mint's website, it became a battle between them & me, a battle I was determined to win!
    I bought this for my collection, not to flip.
    So I got USM0440**** and I got my confirmation email, so I'm gruntled.
    Wonder how the half dollar sale will go though...
  • Options
    Once again, a latter day Marquis de Sade at the Mint has it figured out. How to aggravate as many customers as possible in one hour. I logged on before noon, loaded the page, and re-loaded at 12:01. I got the damn thing in my bag, then went to pay with my verified credit card on file. Then the system broke down, asking me to log on again, reloading the page to go from one step to another for no reason, asking for my credit card info (really??), etc. At one point, trying to log on, I got this message:

"Secure Connection Failed
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

Maybe the problem is the lag time the Mint site is linking to all kinds of sites in the background, including doubleclick and youtube. Youtube? Linking from the supposedly secure mint.GOV https Web site? For what?

So I logged off. About an hour later, I logged on, and everything went like it should have, in the first place. Done in two minutes. Next time, I'll get the damn thing in the bag, log off, and pay an hour later. No more mint site frustration.

What if I miss out? eBay.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw this thread a few minutes ago, decided to go ahead and order one (was on the fence)

Forgot my password, none of the answers to my secret questions worked to reset it

Took it as a sign, and closed the browser window.

Anyway, I just would have done what I did with the 2007 Jefferson half ounce and the 2009 UHR ounce:

put the coin and capsule in the SDB, and the box and paperwork in a closet at home,

and look at the "coin" again once or twice in the next 5-10 years.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    My order confirm popped about 5 mins ago....
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The website is awful. Logged in the other day to make sure I had everything ready to go. No problem.

Tried just now to log in--my account is locked out.

Lovely.

The other things I might say are unprintable in this forum.
    GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Passed
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Coins101
    In & out within seconds.

USM04444XXX

likewise
    4446xxx

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Originally posted by: AnkurJ
    Passed

If I had even a small percentage of the coins in your sets, I would have passed on this one, too. WOW!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, how much value are the coins worth in 69 and 70 holders right out of the box (with the theory that prices usually go down after the first sellers offer coins out there on eBay)?

Well, we will need to decide even within the first 4 hours of the deal whether we want to match or beat one seller on ebay who has the presale price set at $600 for 69's and $700 for 70's.

Assume a 50-50 grade through rate (but hope for higher) ...

Assume cost on the raw coins is at least $540 in quantity (I believe I paid at least that much for every coin on these boards thus far)
    Assume a cost of about $25 to grade 70's and $10 on 69's in large quantities, shipping back and forth to the grading services, etc. (I know it could even higher, this is conservative)
    Assume ebay and paypal fees for 99% of the sellers on eBay (including myself) to be about $58/coin and the free shipping to be around $10 with a signature confirmation

Result -

Cost of 69's to sell on eBay - $610+
    Cost of 70's to sell on eBay - $640+

So, one loses $11 on every 69 graded and makes about $59 on every 70 graded. That blends to about a $24/profit per coin assuming everything goes well. So, putting up $540+ to try to make $24 or about a 4% return. And, that assumes no one undercuts the first seller out there (which is likely to happen as early as tomorrow evening! LOL) Welcome to the new world of trying to make any money on newly released "hot" mint product.

And, if anyone got paid, say, $75/coin over cost for their raw coins, that would result in a $1 loss per coin to the submittor right out of the box on every coin!
    Did I miss anything? Any figures wrong here?

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USM044286XX. Took about 15 minutes of crashing. Already sold.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Assume a cost of about $25 to grade 70's and $10 on 69's in large quantities

I was under the impression large quantities cost about $5 to grade. The avg coin grading fee last quarter with 680,000 coins graded was $15.70. In the prior quarter with 815,100 coins graded the avg fee was $14.63. Maybe you are adding special labels and First Strike?
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbtuner ... that included the shipping costs both ways as well. If you suggest that figure should be $7... OK... that brings the loss down to $8/coin for 69's. By the way, I generally do not grade those ... I just pay the fees to not slab 69's. But, I can see the benefits in grading the 69's.

Also, obviously gold coins cost a bit more to grade than bulk modern proof set coins, etc. But, I agree that it blends to $15.70/coin roughly. My roughly "blend" was $17.50/coin including shipping both ways ... not too far off - no?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: wondercoin

dbtuner ... that included the shipping costs both ways as well. If you suggest that figure should be $7... OK... that brings the loss down to $8/coin for 69's. By the way, I generally do not grade those ... I just pay the fees to not slab 69's. But, I can see the benefits in grading the 69's.

Also, obviously gold coins cost a bit more to grade than bulk modern proof set coins, etc. But, I agree that it blends to $15.70/coin roughly. My roughly "blend" was $17.50/coin including shipping both ways ... not too far off - no?

Wondercoin

OK, a little closer. I would still assume Modern bulk would be under the avg cost, not over it. With all the coins you submit and overall good will you create, I think you can get a better deal.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    was on my pooter at noon today
    got one but it took me 20 minutes to get in and complete my order.
    what a mess.
    got the mercy dime too.
    now on to the walking liberty half dollar
    buffnixx
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't going to buy one since I didn't have much interest.

But I decided to wander over to the Mint site at 1:30 PM PST and order one.

It went as smooth as silk.

I'm not sure why everyone got up early to place an order.
    Just wait until 4:30 PM EST and you can still buy them.

USM04449xxx
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like we're past the half way mark toward a sell out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

I wasn't going to buy one since I didn't have much interest.

But I decided to wander over to the Mint site at 1:30 PM PST and order one.

It went as smooth as silk.

I'm not sure why everyone got up early to place an order.

Just wait until 4:30 PM EST and you can still buy them.

USM04449xxx

I get 51,000 orders :

= 51,000

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    Looks like we're past the half way mark toward a sell out.

I think half way over the cliff, is better than all the way over in this case.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: wondercoin
    So, how much value are the coins worth in 69 and 70 holders right out of the box (with the theory that prices usually go down after the first sellers offer coins out there on eBay)?

Well, we will need to decide even within the first 4 hours of the deal whether we want to match or beat one seller on ebay who has the presale price set at $600 for 69's and $700 for 70's.

Assume a 50-50 grade through rate (but hope for higher) ...

Assume cost on the raw coins is at least $540 in quantity (I believe I paid at least that much for every coin on these boards thus far)
    Assume a cost of about $25 to grade 70's and $10 on 69's in large quantities, shipping back and forth to the grading services, etc. (I know it could even higher, this is conservative)
    Assume ebay and paypal fees for 99% of the sellers on eBay (including myself) to be about $58/coin and the free shipping to be around $10 with a signature confirmation

Result -

Cost of 69's to sell on eBay - $610+
    Cost of 70's to sell on eBay - $640+

So, one loses $11 on every 69 graded and makes about $59 on every 70 graded. That blends to about a $24/profit per coin assuming everything goes well. So, putting up $540+ to try to make $24 or about a 4% return. And, that assumes no one undercuts the first seller out there (which is likely to happen as early as tomorrow evening! LOL) Welcome to the new world of trying to make any money on newly released "hot" mint product.

And, if anyone got paid, say, $75/coin over cost for their raw coins, that would result in a $1 loss per coin to the submittor right out of the box on every coin!
    Did I miss anything? Any figures wrong here?

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin

Welcome to the new world of trying to make any money on newly released "hot" mint product.

They have lot's of people to pay as well... Think its funny, the pre-sale war... Ha
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4:30pm CDT
    Order # USM044505XX
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    I was able to successfully place an order via phone at about 2:30 pm Pacific/5:30 pm Eastern with very little wait time before a friendly and professional Customer Service representative was available. She was quite helpful in discussing delivery options.
    "If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mach1ne
    USM044286XX. Took about 15 minutes of crashing. Already sold.

Can u say whose buying?

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭
    When is this going to be declared a Flipper's flop? I'm calling it first......
  • Options
    I bought one at 9:30 AM, and it went through no problem.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Halfsense
    I was able to successfully place an order via phone at about 2:30 pm Pacific/5:30 pm Eastern with very little wait time before a friendly and professional Customer Service representative was available. She was quite helpful in discussing delivery options.

No delivery options discussed with me! The service rep was very nice.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Manorcourtman

I couldn't care less if it flops or not. I bought one because I'm a collector and I like this very attractive coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: UtahCoin
    4:30pm CDT
    Order # USM044505XX

That would make it approx 50k sold. Not to shabby for a $500 item.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't care less if it flops or not. I bought one because I'm a collector and I like this very attractive coin.

Good for you! Bad for Flippers! My point.....
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    It's 6:52 EST and I can still add the SLQ to my cart. I would have guessed that they would be sold out by now.
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was finally able to snag one via phone when I got home. Had the customer service rep reset my account too.

Order # USM0445XXXX

4:50pm MDT
    GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has been shipped!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Mine has been shipped!

what was your order number? What time do you think you made the order?
  • Options

I'll second that.
    The SLQ is one of my favorite coins and I got mine to keep & admire occasionally, not to flip.
    Now I've got to pinch some pennies to afford the Walker gold! image
    I only wish that these would have been proof coins...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file