Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Official Standing Liberty 2016 Centennial Gold Coin Thread

1235»

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    My brother received his this morning, he had a low order number, haven't seen it myself yet. My order was after about 7000 coins were sold and I got a shipping notice late Friday the 9th , but as of today no acceptance by USPS or further shipping update for me.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any over the weekend order numbers to add? Apparently the "official" sales to September 11th are being reported as reaching 53,378 sold.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Just saw my brothers coin, decent looking but only about the size of a nickel. Nice strike on eagles feathers, head detail full but not outstanding. But alas no nipple...not even a hint of one.

Edited to add: My coins shipping status has not changed since Friday, still awaiting package, number generated or whatever. The distribution centers have a four day weekend? Note on packaging of my brothers coin...it was kind of sloppy. Same style box as the dime but no plastic outer packing or bubble wrap- just placed into a larger outer shipping box with a little bit of paper-box was able to slide out of the outer cover a little bit.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 2ltdjorn
    anyone got them in hand yet?

See 2 replies above your post!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH FRABJOUS JOY !!!!

Your U.S. Mint web order has shipped!

Now I can dump that worn out Chain Cent
  • Options
    Originally posted by: kevinstang

Just saw my brothers coin, decent looking but only about the size of a nickel. Nice strike on eagles feathers, head detail full but not outstanding. But alas no nipple...not even a hint of one.

I'm gonna check REAL GOOD for a pronounced TAIL FEATHER on the eagle.

Cheerio, folks.

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order Number: USM04470777

KK
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered one

Order Placed: Sep 12, 2016

Order Number: USM04470894
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So roughly 73,000 orders of all product since these went on sale. Thanks.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Sounds like close to two thirds have been sold. Sounds like it will eventually sell out even if the mint has to eventually raise or even eliminate the household limit.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

No comment. None needed

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

Sounds like close to two thirds have been sold. Sounds like it will eventually sell out even if the mint has to eventually raise or even eliminate the household limit.

No comment here either. Definitely not needed.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    I ordered one for myself, however I am afraid it will be too small to really appreciate as much as the enlarged photos and renditions of it. Will have to wait until tomorrow to see it in hand.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: HATTRICK

I ordered one for myself, however I am afraid it will be too small to really appreciate as much as the enlarged photos and renditions of it. Will have to wait until tomorrow to see it in hand.

Buy and use a quality magnifier under a good light source. Your coin will look as big as a manhole cover and the detail on this coin will amaze you.image

• Options

No comment. None needed

So, why did you post?image

• Options

No comment here either. Definitely not needed.

Once again, why did you post if you have no comment?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Testing the website last night (usmint dot gov)

Finally (after being on vacation for a week, and trying to hide from the coin world) got mine ordered. No need sending it in to PCGS, until after I get the third piece. Some day, maybe they'll have a holder for all 3. ___ , and the insiders only know.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Testing the website last night (usmint dot gov)

Finally (after being on vacation for a week, and trying to hide from the coin world) got mine ordered. No need sending it in to PCGS, until after I get the third piece. Some day, maybe they'll have a holder for all 3. ___ , and the insiders only know.

A three coin slab would be a great idea and would be very popular.

• Options
    I would rather have an official government case that you can put the three coins in in their mint capsules.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I would rather have an official government case that you can put the three coins in in their mint capsules.

So would I but that's unlikely to happen.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy and use a quality magnifier under a good light source. Your coin will look as big as a manhole cover and the detail on this coin will amaze you.image

Yes the images look like a vast improvement versus the detail on the 1/10 oz dime. This one is nicely done. image

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, too. Similar to the 4 coin gold proof sets, produced each year. Though, those sets are out of my reach, as a matter of economics ( I wish)

And a 3 coin set with the allegoric design would be a beauty to behold, like gold.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

Yes the images look like a vast improvement versus the detail on the 1/10 oz dime. This one is nicely done. image

I rec'd my coin today and have to agree that the strike is much better than on the Mercury dime.
    Still not as needle sharp as I would have liked, but definitely FH.
    I noticed a itsy bit of weakness at the very center of the shield.
    The reverse looked very good, better than the obverse in terms of sharpness.
    I'm pleased with it but now I have to start hoarding my shekels for the Walker. image
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just placed my order 2 minutes ago, no issues, USM 044745XX. Forgot all about these, saw them being hucked on HSN for $1000 a piece.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

They're saving that for the Sacagawea, Presidential set. In gold. A veritable billboard of numismatic beauty.
  • Options
    My gold SLQ came this afternoon. The packaging had two small silica gel packets just under the coin capsule. I had never seen this before on government coin packaging. I'm planning to keep my coin in the government packaging and not get it slabbed. Should I toss the silica gel packets or keep them will the coin capsule? I'm concerned with the long term stability of the silica gel in close proximity to the coin.

• Options
    These along with Mercurys are being graded SP69 and SP70 vs MS. What is SP?
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gold SLQ came this afternoon. The packaging had two small silica gel packets just under the coin capsule. I had never seen this before on government coin packaging. I'm planning to keep my coin in the government packaging and not get it slabbed. Should I toss the silica gel packets or keep them will the coin capsule? I'm concerned with the long term stability of the silica gel in close proximity to the coin.

I have noticed that with the last couple of issues I got from the Mint. Including the platinum. That is up to you as I use in the plug-in dehumidifiers for preservation.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

Toss'em. Those little packets are for sucking up moisture while the coin is in transit. Their shelf life is nominal so next month they'll just be a piece of paper anyway.

P.S. Like Miles said they came with my 1oz Plat too.

Originally posted by: Aberlight

In the past I always took SP to be "Specimen". Now I've seen SP is "Special" and I also like to think Satin Proof but nah, it's usually specimen.

• Options
    Any updates on the order numbers?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Aberlight

SP=Specimen

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

"As of Sept. 12, the U.S. Mint had recorded sales of 53,378 coins."

It's buried in this article: Sept 14th COINWORLD

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    ...now I have to start hoarding my shekels for the Walker. image

Save quickly -- the gold WLH is already in production: Sept 14th COINWORLD

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the WLH, guessing it will be double the cost of the SLQ.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine yesterday. Looks good but like others I wish it was quarter size instead of 1/4oz size, ha!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: COCollector

I think it is time to list the household limit, and let the telemarketers take the rest.
  • Options

I think it is time to list the household limit, and let the telemarketers take the rest.

I think you meant lift.image

• Options

I think you meant lift.image

Yeah, lift. And separate if it will help.

• Options

I think it is time to lift the household limit, and let the telemarketers take the rest.

It's only been a week. I say wait at least a month -- maybe until the end of 2016 (it's a nice holiday gift). And there are also issues from returns, exchanges, lost deliveries, reinstatement of cancelled orders, etc.

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Wonder what the number sold will be by Friday, September 16th??
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    Originally posted by: morgansforever

Looking forward to the WLH, guessing it will be double the cost of the SLQ.

Not quite. If gold spot stays in the same range then the 1/2 oz Walker will run you $915. For these issues, and many other PM products, the premium to melt drops as the size increases.

Pricing Table

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file