Home U.S. Coin Forum

The New Doily Census - 2016

Comments

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb pix and research . . . . . but I am just a little confused . .

I was looking, and saw the 3CN (208) in a pic above. It is sitting in my hand now . . . and has been for several years (boy, my hand is tired). I was thinking these pix are sent . . . .to add to the Census, but I am seeing a variety of them already listed, as I own them and have recorded them.

Also . . .I am wondering . . are these just ancient auction records of coins which (most likely, but not certainly) have been cracked and no longer reside in a Doily . . . . or do we need to radically evaluate our thoughts of Doily 'Type' and hunt down and accost the owners of these rarer (Barbers--Patterns) in order to get them to the Census or to actual Doily colectors???

Hmmmm . . . not sure what to make of these. I LOVE them . . . but are they truly Census coins residing in Doily holders . . .or are the cracked ex-Doily slabs now under 12 feet of landfill at the county dump???

Drunner

• ExcaliberExcaliber Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Not sure of the current status of these coins. Just wanted to make sure they were in the Census. i know I duplicated at least one and some were already listed in the census. The photos are great to see from their archives.

No sweat . . . .

The pix are invaluable!

The first post will show the Census Certnumbers . . . . . all is good. I just went to the post and saw a few of my better Type pieces there . . .did not ever have pix of them though! They look super !!

Drunner

I think that was original thought. I defer to Lakes for the final determination, but unless someone comes forward with these as being current "in the holder" or they are confirmed by any means to Lakes or myself, I think they are great pieces of history, but it would not be accurate to present them as current Doily holders. They represent some of the better Doilies of the past, but there are several of us who would certainly know if some of those special Doilies still existed in someone's collection. The purpose of the Census to is represent what is still extant. That, after all, is the end goal . . . . .what is still available out there ?

Admittedly . . . there will probably be some super Doilies still to emerge from Gramp's safety deposit box . . . but we can really only represent the Census as current holders, confirmed (as best we can) as existing from the moment we record them.

But the pix are exciting. Wouldn't it be super of some of those actually emerged . . . . . . . .

and ended up in my collection?

Drunner

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

If any cert number can't be validated by PCGS CertVerification, most likely, it has been cracked out and no longer in its Doily holder. These definitely cannot be included in census.

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

Available now on Ebay.

The world has changed a lot since there were 120 Doilies known . . . .and I had about 80 of them !!!

Drunner

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2017 10:16PM

Agree with earlier posts - this census is meant to be a current census of Doily holders.

It will always be a work in progress as there will need to be occasional checks to be sure the cert. numbers are still valid.

Have added the coins posted above in the last 1-2 months that I've verified with PCGS cert. verification to the census - a few were already in the census. Will update the spreadsheet on page 1 at the end of the month.

Thanks for posting the great type coins - too bad many have been cracked out of their classic Doily holders. :'(

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked and didn't see this one listed.

• basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2017 5:00PM

http://www.coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=search&task=det_item&item_id=518016

There's a link to an outstanding proof indian in a doily holder that I don't see listed here.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

Uploaded the spreadsheet today.

Will do some spot checking of cert numbers to keep the census current.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Earliest Walker in the census by far showed up on eBay. Looks familiar for some reason.....

This same WLH 1917 sold on May 30, 2017 for $162.50.

Thought it looked familiar - wonder how I avoided putting it in the census?? :D

I did post it on here May 31.

How about this 1885-CC in this group now available on Ebay.

Currently available at Heritage.

Available now on Ebay.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

And this was in the recent Stacks Denver ANA Auction...

1905 Proof Indian Cent PCGS PR65RB cert no. 7345741

New on ebay.

This one sold on ebay.

Available at Great Collections now.

Check. :+1:

This one ended without a sale on Ebay.

• Feel free to add this SLQ to your census. It is also up for grabs on eBay - anyone have an idea of the value???

Your pictures of the SLQ doily are different than those on eBay - where did you get them??

Not many SLQs in the Census . . . just goes to show that ultimately, the Doily Type people will be looking for the really esoteric stuff . . . .like Kennedys . . . Warnicks . . .etc. The stuff that no one would have routinely slabbed back in the Doily era . . . . . .

Drunner

Looks like the seller took an offer?? Shoot......

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poof...its gone!

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

I feel very fortunate to own the one of the 1926-D SLQ Doily holders!

I really hadn't thought of trying to collect all 3 types until this one appeared - hopefully they got more than we would have been willing to bid.

This sample sold yesterday with a 1959 Dime in the sample holder. Most of these are the 1964-D.

edited September 1, 2017 5:54AM

I offered $200 on the 1959 Sample, they countered with $250, then someone else got it. Seems like a reasonable price.

Edit:

On WatchCount, it went for $230.

How many dates are known for the Doily samples?

1964-D, 1957, A 1958-D Sold for $ 310 Aug. 6 and the 1959 yesterday. Those are the ones I know of.

Also 1961. I have a 1961-P in a 1961-D holder.

Updated the spreadsheet this AM. Includes Doily's currently on eBay, HA and Great Collections.

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, it does look really good!

Now don't be pointing out Doilies ahead of the auctions. :D

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Doily is listed at CRO. It is not part of your census on Page 1.

coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=search&task=det_item&item_id=524055

Best, SH

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

This sold yesterday on Ebay.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new doily for the census:

1853 Half Cent
    PCGS MS-64 CAC
    Serial Number: 6247494

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Thanks for the additions - all noted.

This one sold on Ebay.

New addition as of 10/14/17 . . . .

Iowa Commem . . . . MS65 . . . . 7345533. Picked it up here locally in SLC after it was brought down from Portland, OR by a dealer.

Nice holder . . . nice coin. Typical Iowa . . . higher grade than the slab, but no biggy. Maybe to CAC just for fun, but it is irrelevant.

First Iowa in the Census . . .

Drunner

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you guys hadn't seen it yet: I think it's the only maine in a doily?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file