Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 American Liberty Silver Medal (UH9 / UH10)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
Huh. The mint published their August releases a couple weeks ago, with nothing really new on it.

Yesterday (or this morning), they put the UH9 and UH10 on the release schedule for Aug 23.

The American Liberty medal is the silver analogue of the gold UHR released last year. The medal (UH9) was supposed to be released in 2015 as well, but was taken off the product schedule without any explanations. The Silver Medals are supposed to be struck on ASE blanks.

UH9 will be minted at West Point. UH10 will be struck at San Francisco. No other details (mintage, household limits, images, etc.) released yet.

I originally had a theory that the UH10 would be paired with the 30th anniversary ASE, but I was clearly wrong on that. image

Placeholder pages:
American Liberty 2016 Silver Medal (UH9)

American Liberty 2016 Silver Medal (UH10)

I'm assuming they will both be the same design since they both that the same name, but we might be seeing different finishes...

The link to the UH8 discussion here:
2015 High Relief Gold Coin/Silver Medal (UH8 & UH9)

And the gold version:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.... I really like the details of the eagle on the reverse....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    Huh. The mint published their August releases a couple weeks ago, with nothing really new on it.

Yesterday (or this morning), they put the UH9 and UH10 on the release schedule for Aug 23.

The American Liberty medal is the silver analogue of the gold UHR released last year. The medal (UH9) was supposed to be released in 2015 as well, but was taken off the product schedule without any explanations. The Silver Medals are supposed to be struck on ASE blanks.

UH9 will be minted at West Point. UH10 will be struck at San Francisco. No other details (mintage, household limits, images, etc.) released yet.

I originally had a theory that the UH10 would be paired with the 30th anniversary ASE, but I was clearly wrong on that. image

Placeholder pages:
    American Liberty 2016 Silver Medal (UH9)

American Liberty 2016 Silver Medal (UH10)

I'm assuming they will both be the same design since they both that the same name, but we might be seeing different finishes...

The link to the UH8 discussion here:
    2015 High Relief Gold Coin/Silver Medal (UH8 & UH9)

And the gold version:

Same design but minted in West Point & SF
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    She looks like she just got electrocuted. image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really like the reverse...........only.
  • Options
    The mint set the prices of both medals at $34.95 per the federal register. (Or at least it will tomorrow.) Still no other details, maybe we'll get those tomorrow, too...

Pricing for the 2016 American Liberty Silver Medals
  • Options
    Oh look! The mint has removed it's thumb from its...

American Liberty 2016 Silver Medal (WP) (UH9)

Product Limit: 12,500
    HHL: 2

American Liberty 2016 Silver Medal (SF Mint) (UH10)

Product Limit: 12,500
    HHL: 2

Both are of proof finish (so much for having one a different finish), both will be struck from ASE blanks, which somehow makes me wonder how high-relief they really are. (Note that "High Relief" is not even mentioned on either product page.) Both will have smooth edges.

$34.95 each (same price as an uncirc ASE). On sale August 23 at Noon.

Why strike at two separate mints when mintage is so low if they're both the same finish?

Ugh. Will get one of each to go with my gold version, I guess.

UH10 image (UH9 is the same, but has a W mintmark):

(Edited to reduce image size)
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At those mintages and household limits, this medal should sell out fast!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound like they will be high relief but it's still a nice silver medal at a reasonable price. I'm in.

• Options
    The mintage is ridiculously low, 25k across both mints. This is half the gold mintage of 50k. Even though it's not officially a coin, I predict a quick sellout and a nice bump in the aftermarket price.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Overdate
    The mintage is ridiculously low, 25k across both mints. This is half the gold mintage of 50k. Even though it's not officially a coin, I predict a quick sellout and a nice bump in the aftermarket price.

The mint is notorious for basing mintage on past releases. The last two silver medals they produced was for the TR and FDR coin and chronicles. (The Truman and Ike C&C mintage was based on those as well.)

They are essentially, silver rounds being produced by the mint at $15 over spot. image I only want one each, but who knows what my fingers will type when actually ordering the product. I admit, it could be a 10 minute sell out.

Now, if they'd put the reverses of the 2015 and 2016 APE proofs on an ASE blank, I'd have my friends ordering their household limits for me...
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    I see the product limit is 12,500 on these, but the mintage limit is "none". So are they going to re-appear in some other form later in the year?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bigole
    I see the product limit is 12,500 on these, but the mintage limit is "none". So are they going to re-appear in some other form later in the year?

Maybe there will be a "zombie" version. image

• Options

I don't think the mint has ever put a mintage limit on medals. They re-strike bronze versions all the time. (For instance, the presidential medals.) However, they don't normally issue medals with the date it was struck. (I'm not talking about the commemorative date(s) of the medals. The 2016 is clearly the date struck, since it's sister gold coin with the design was 2015.)

Will we see it in another set this year? Maybe, but I don't know what they'd pair it with that's on the product schedule. On the other hand, should the mint continue this sort of "artistic" series in the future (and it sounds like they will), you could very well see a reissue of the medals as a set years in the future.

This was just a missed opportunity. If all they were going to do was recreate the design on an ASE blank without a high relief, they just should have done it last year and paired it with the 2015 gold Liberty.

Originally posted by: Overdate
    Maybe there will be a "zombie" version. image

I'm in. image
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite possible, but who knows?

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    On sale tomorrow. I'm in for one of each to go with my 2015 HR, though I still haven't convinced myself that these are any more than an expensive silver round. image

Is anyone finding any interest in this medal?

I'm beginning to think that these medals were more of a practice run to see how the edge lettering on the ASE proofs would work out...
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be in for one each too. Yes, an expensive ounce of silver. And it will go well with 2015 HR gold.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie

On sale tomorrow. I'm in for one of each to go with my 2015 HR, though I still haven't convinced myself that these are any more than an expensive silver round. image

Is anyone finding any interest in this medal?

I'm beginning to think that these medals were more of a practice run to see how the edge lettering on the ASE proofs would work out...

Maybe I missed it: I didn't see any mention of edge lettering on this medal.

Anyway, I'm also in for one each.

Expensive? Actually a bit cheap compared to $48.95 for an ASE Proof.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Originally posted by: COCollector
    Maybe I missed it: I didn't see any mention of edge lettering on this medal.

Nope, no edge lettering. Smooth edge, but no markings. My mistake.

Anyway, I'm also in for one each.

Expensive? Actually a bit cheap compared to $48.95 for an ASE Proof.

Well, the ASE Proof is a real coin, with a par value. Yeah, I know, they're all an ounce of silver.

I was thinking the mint could have done a real high relief medal by putting this design on a 3" bronze. That'd probably look stunning...
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    This is one I will happily buy. Especially since it has a product limit of only 12,500.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would like it better if it were a coin.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After swearing off mint products forever, I'm in for a couple.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Well, that was a lot easier than I thought it'd be...

USM043684xx

In and out in less than a minute.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In and out.

USM043693**
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    The site kept failing for me. It took 3 minutes for me and I was all setup at 9 AM.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    USM043690xx

A little slowdown after they were in my bag. completed @ 3 minuts after noon. Had to go to order history to get the order number this time rather than the usual invoice page.

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 of each

43698XX
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    It should be sold out in ten minutes.
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    me too

2 each = 4 units
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In and out. 2 of each.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    No problems. Bought 2 each. I wonder if they will sell out. Seems too smooth in ordering with no problems. Did two separate orders.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    well that was a fast sellout of 6 minutes.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
  • Options
    tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    sold out
    Transactions..
    wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard
  • Options
    already unavailable
  • Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 minutes to unavailable
  • Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    Westpoint is unavailable already
  • Options
    Both went unavailable already?
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had to reload my order once. No biggie, just a few seconds.

USM043711xx.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Originally posted by: HalfStrike

It should be sold out in ten minutes.

I agree......oops....gone

• Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    Stupid POS mint check out strikes again. Reset me twice and finally no longer available
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely skunked. Zero. Nada. All I got was a lot of spinning pages. By the time I got to the order review, they were all gone. I'm not surprised at all. I think you've got two target audiences that guaranteed these would go dark quickly - the people who like the design but couldn't afford the gold last year, and the people with the gold that want a matching silver to go with their gold. Boom!!! Instant sellout!
  • Options
    I would say these will be a home run due to the mintage!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a few then darkness came over me....
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought two of each. Don't even know why. A sick addiction.
    So hate that site when buying from my phone. Drives me nuts. My pre saved CC info comes up. I enter security code. Screen resets. Get that straight. I enter my shipping address. Resets back to enter CC. UGH!!!!
    Amazing how Amazon and eBay can handle huge volume without a hitch.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Should be a good one, unless the mint plans on making this a regular program.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    After some reloading I got my order in for 2 of each in 3 minutes. USM04371XXX
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    wow, how fast was that compared to other issues/
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little wonky on the checkout but looks like it worked through my iphone. Did get an order number.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Had all the info in and clicked continue checkout and it returned me back to the beginning. Ny the time I entered the order info again, iy was too late.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file