Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 American Liberty Silver Medal (UH9 / UH10)

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JimDepot
    Originally posted by: pf70collector
    Its a medal, so the same medal and design can be minted anytime in future years except with a different date.

So it is a coin?

No. It doesn't meet the definition. To be a coin, it also has to have EPU, IGWT and a par value on it, and fit into the narrow definition of what congress deems to be a coin.

31 U.S. Code § 5112 - Denominations, specifications, and design of coins
  • Options
    Originally posted by: USFCPA
    I was lucky...ordered two W's and then two S's, both orders went through. I got the shipping e-mail yesterday. I only paid for the cheapest shipping option. I was tired of using next day shipping only for it to take weeks before they even went out. I finally learned that the best option is they'll get here when they get here.

You mustn't have ordered from the mint lately.

The weeks to ship problem went away with the new fulfillment company.

It is rare now (unless backordered) for a product not to ship with a day or two of ordering. PFSWeb is that quick.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

I am currently the high bidder on a set , still under $200. Probably be outbid before dark. Central standard time.

Wait a month or two. Prices are at the highest levels we'll ever see this week IMO.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USPS email alert "Out For Delivery"

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    My four medals should be here by Tuesday. Probably just keep them sealed and hope that they could be keys for a new series.

If the 70s go for moon money I will just open the boxes in front of PCGS at a coin show to see if they are worth submitting.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be any way of telling which medals are in each box? I ordered 2 West Point with my first order and 2 San Francisco in my second order. Does the box or mailing label indicate which is which (UH9 & UH10)?
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PipestonePete

Will there be any way of telling which medals are in each box? I ordered 2 West Point with my first order and 2 San Francisco in my second order. Does the box or mailing label indicate which is which (UH9 & UH10)?

Match the tracking numbers to the shipping confirmation emails.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah....! Thanks.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: tincup

Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

Originally posted by: pf70collector

Its a medal, so the same medal and design can be minted anytime in future years except with a different date.

The mint may have minted a low number of this medal on purpose, to shed some popularity on the series if they go forward with continuing producing these in the future.

The question is if they go forward with the series will they keep the same design each year or it will it change. If its a one-off, the appeal may wear off at 25K.

The website says unlimited mintage, but only 12,500 for this release. It could be used in other sets.

Can you provide a link where it says 'for this release'? I do not see anything even close to that. All I see is the 'Product Limit' which is 12,500, and 'Mintage' which is unlimited. As mentioned by another, that is all standard language the US Mint has used for the chronicle sets, etc., and has had speculation before on whether that means more will be minted. So far, they have not. But... this is the US Mint we are talking about, so who knows?

Even if they do mint more later, which I tend to doubt, these 'early release' ones will still be low mintage. Though it remains to be seen whether they hold the price or reduce some, I think they will still hold some value.

It was mentioned that private mints could mint very similar looking silver rounds, since the Liberty Medal is not a coin. IMO they would not effect the price that much for the real Liberty Medal, especially for certified early release, or with original packaging, etc.

I took product limit to be the same thing as this release. Unlimited mintage means to me that they could include the medal in other sets.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took product limit to be the same thing as this release. Unlimited mintage means to me that they could include the medal in other sets.

This happened back in 2012. The 2012-S proof Silver Eagle was released as part of a 75th Anniversary set, then additional specimens were included in the Coin and Currency Set later that year. It caused quite a bit of controversy at the time.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the US Mint, who knows? They leave the door open a crack to allow minting more, but I tend to think they will not, just from the past issues (other than the 2012 example). They will probably get complaints which ever route they take.

I received my 4 medals yesterday; that was with the standard shipping. I think that is about the quickest I have ever received a shipment from the Mint. Wonder if I have the broken frost S mint medal..... (haven't opened the box yet).
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Wonder if I have the broken frost S mint medal..... (haven't opened the box yet).

Whats that?

• Options
    Nevermind, I got it. It is not broken unless we have confirmation of a different type of frost. In which case will likely be a variety, not broken.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received mine today with standard shipping.

They are nice looking
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CA5MAN

Originally posted by: phantom1701

The website says unlimited mintage, but only 12,500 for this release. It could be used in other sets.

Hmmmm....good catch. I would bet that they will include these in a future set. Leave it to the US Mint to ruin a good thing. ;-)

Old hat, same language used for years and discussed before on the forum.

"2016 American Liberty Silver Medal: The Final Word on Mintage Limit..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?...74U01c&app=desktop

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Overdate

This happened back in 2012. The 2012-S proof Silver Eagle was released as part of a 75th Anniversary set, then additional specimens were included in the Coin and Currency Set later that year. It caused quite a bit of controversy at the time.

Yes. The irony of that, even with the inclusion into the C&C set, the 2012-S is still has the lowest mintage of any regular proof ASE (outside of the 95-W) by a wide margin.

That was even known in 2012. I picked up a few examples because of it. image

(The mint learned their lesson from it, too, which is why you get that "exclusive to this set" wording on a lot of subsequent releases...)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's taking a lot longer for them to sell out on eBay.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, found this at the bottom of page three. Interest has definitely waned.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We may have already seen the peak in prices. There are 327 listed on Ebay right now, the two most recent are $129.99 BINs with multiple items available. As more flippers receive theirs, the Ebay listing glut will grow. And, and as those whose order shipping dates have been pushed out into mid-September start to panic, expect prices to continue down (at least that's what I'm hoping as I don't have a set, yet...)
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they'll settle in the $100-150 range for raw with ogp. Where 69/70 prices settle, who knows.
    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they'll settle in the $100-150 range for raw with ogp.

There are already plenty available at that price range now.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm saying they'll bounce around a bit over the next couple of months before settling there after the melee
    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    Anytime a guy can quadruple his money from a coin purchase , he should count his blessings, or thank his lucky stars. It took me ten years to triple my money on a Cheerios Dollar I purchased on eBay in the original blister pack. And that "COIN" took me 2 years to get into a PCGS holder. Thanks Ron Guth, Jaime Hernandez & Co.

I think this will be a very popular medal for many years to come.

Signing out. Happy collecting. It's worth it, over the course of time.
  • Options
    Got'em to see or not to see?

Alex
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CascadeChris

Yeah, I'm saying they'll bounce around a bit over the next couple of months before settling there after the melee

$75 - I'd be shocked if these aren't widely available for $75 next year. Not many people collect or are interested in medals. A month from now will get you one under $100.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2015-W Gold American Liberty $100 coin sold 49,325 @ $1,490/each.

The combined mintage for the 2016 Silver American Liberty Medals is 25,000 and were sold @$34.95/each.

It seems to me that even if only the buyers of the Gold $100 HR coin constituted the entire demand, the Silver Medals will remain in high demand at healthy prices. It seems that way to me anyhow.

Miles will agree, it was a gift from the Mint.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Still waiting for my 2003 wildlife medals to go up image
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do agree, The Mint often provides Christmas multiple times during the year.

Particularly since 2006, Jmski!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Not gonna happen. Michael White has already said in no uncertain terms that this will be the final mintage.

I think the Christmas set, if there is one, will be a 3-piece 1916 gold set. What a letdown the net's were. No FB. And they blamed it on modern technology not sufficient enough to replicate 100yo work. Gimme a break. I bet the SLQ won't have a nipple. Any takers?
    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    For clarification, I was referring to the Mint's ability to gift us, often unexpectedly, with issues that triple or quadruple in value straight out-of-the-box. Think back to the silver anniversary sets.

Or remain sealed until the box itself holds greater value.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: silvereagleproof

Still waiting for my 2003 wildlife medals to go up image

You had to go there, didn't you....argh!

I bought one of each, as a gift, for my step-father. He passed away before I got all 4 that year and so I still have them.

They don't interest me, personally. I've thought about gifting them to outdoors people/hunters....but there are none left in my life that I care enough for to do that.

I still have all 4 + 1 extra (I forget which one)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I got mine today and immediately flipped 2 (1 of each) for a healthy profit.
    They are really quite attractive medals. Nice of the Mint to give me an early Xmas gift!
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Mine will stay sealed and if the First Strike 70's go for moon money I will open them up in front of PCGS at a future coin show to see if they are worthy to submit. These may well be like the Truman Reverse Proof Chronicle Sets still maintaining their quadruple value.
  • Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    Can someone kindly share the dimensions of the sealed box from the Mint? Thanks.
  • Options
    I do agree, The Mint often provides Christmas multiple times during the year.

Particularly since 2006, Jmski!

2008 wasn't shabby either. In 2006, the 3-coin sets sold out quickly and most everyone knew what to expect. In 2008, the burnished 1/4 oz AGEs and Gold Buffs didn't sell out until the very end.

It's always hard to know in advance what will be the cream that rises to the top. In 2009, nobody really jumped on the UHRs. At this very moment, almost everyone hates the Gold Spouses.

What does it all mean? lol, if I knew that, I'd tell ya.

These medals were a big Question Mark from Day One. I like the mintage and design overlap with the gold coin.

The Centennial coins? Another big Question Mark. Three years from now, we might know more.

Don't let anyone tell you that coin collecting isn't about the money.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    4 coin mint box is

6in X 7.5in X 2.25in
  • Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Egger

4 coin mint box is

6in X 7.5in X 2.25in

Thanks!
  • Options
    Won an S mint on eBay for under $180. And the W mint for $140.

Not a bad return for the early birds.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sealed box of 4 medals netted ebay seller well under $500 after fees (# 152219946592) in most recent eBay sale my search uncovered. That is less than $125/medal net to seller.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I've got to go get mine from the POB. Just an interesting issue.

Low mintage, low downside, cross investment ability (collectible/pm), relatively low initial investment.
  • Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: erickso1

Low mintage, low downside, cross investment ability (collectible/pm), relatively low initial investment.

Just hope they don't come how mine did. This is how I just got them about an hour ago.
    Shaking it tells me something might be missing as there sure is a lot of sliding going on in there.
    Now waiting on a phone call from the person I sold them to, thank you Fedex smartpost.

photo e1352389-ee89-42f5-8351-ff46d52f98f1_zpsnwudb3hl.jpg
    photo IMG_0454_zpsnuzqbk2u.jpg
    BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    Ouch image
    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SONOMOSCA
    Just hope they don't come how mine did. This is how I just got them about an hour ago.
    Shaking it tells me something might be missing as there sure is a lot of sliding going on in there.
    Now waiting on a phone call from the person I sold them to, thank you Fedex smartpost.

Yeah, I feel your pain. My Truman C&C sets came crushed, three of the five sets were damaged. They coulda crushed a mint or proof set, but no, they had to crush the Trumans.

Still don't have my medals. FedEx Smartpost did change the route to me. From 750 miles to 650 miles, one less stop at a distribution facility. Should be quicker, right? Nope. Maybe tomorrow. It's in the hands of the USPS, but my post office sucks. smh...
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing given how tough that these boxes are.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    When does watchcount discontinue the buyer search histry?
    Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options
    RehctelfRehctelf Posts: 103 ✭✭
    What an ugly obverse ...
  • Options
    Yeah, one of my APE Proof boxes came a little banged up, so I opened it up.

Damn beautiful.

The eBay highs and lows on these medals will be reported depending on the agenda. Mine is to hold, till I don't.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Raufus

Amazing given how tough that these boxes are.

It was hard opening after how it got to me. A complete opposite from how gold mercury's arrived.

To me it looks like someone tried opening it but the glue was so strong they ended up ripping a good piece of cardboard off, then tried getting into it on the side where the tape is. I think if someone was trying to get into the box they were either interrupted or ran out of time.

Luckily everything was there and wow are they nice!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie

Yeah, I feel your pain. My Truman C&C sets came crushed, three of the five sets were damaged. They coulda crushed a mint or proof set, but no, they had to crush the Trumans.

Still don't have my medals. FedEx Smartpost did change the route to me. From 750 miles to 650 miles, one less stop at a distribution facility. Should be quicker, right? Nope. Maybe tomorrow. It's in the hands of the USPS, but my post office sucks. smh...

Mine were scheduled to arrive today but when I checked tracking this morning it was pushed to tomorrow. My OCD kicked in at about noon so I checked again and it showed the USPS has it and was out for delivery. All I can say is Fedex Smartest sucks! Last time I go that route. Luckily my post office is pretty decent.
  • Options
    I did inspect medals. In hand, they are quite nice. I submitted the 2 that I thought were perfect.

The other 2 are amazing in their own right, with "flaws" so slight as to change my opinion of the Mint's capabilities in a favorable way.

I'm still not a 100% fan of the obverse, but it's far from "ugly".

Random thought - if the Mint had wanted to produce a Gold Merc with greater detail, they certainly could have done so. Let's hope that they don't slough off that way on the next two Centennial Gold coins.

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file