Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 American Liberty Silver Medal (UH9 / UH10)

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a flippable collectible, this is a nice medal. Expensive ounce of bullion, too.
  • Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: blu62vette
    Originally posted by: OperationButter
    ebay auctions closing at $549. prices moving up!

link

Not a sale he just closed the listing and listed it for more.

Relisted at $469 now.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JimDepot

link

Relisted at $469 now.

As we've seen many times before these pre-sales don't mean very much. If in hand prices are lower once they ship pre-sales buyers simply cancel.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Right at about 800 of these had sold on ebay since 12:00 that is a high percentage of 25,000 total! I know mine will go in the attic love the look of sealed boxes! Lol
  • Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raufus
    Originally posted by: JimDepot

link

Relisted at $469 now.

As we've seen many times before these pre-sales don't mean very much. If in hand prices are lower once they ship pre-sales buyers simply cancel.

Not sold, relisted for a lower price.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Graded PCGS 70's should be about $1000 each.

• Options
    ButteredfatkidButteredfatkid Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: goldbuffalo

Why do you figure that?
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No shipping notice for me yet.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I think we will see some more become available, sometimes as early as this evening or tomorrow morning
    definitely will be cc mishaps, HH limit violations, etc.
  • Options
    Wow, can we throw in some error coin too maybe? Never thought these would be this hot out of the box. Almost 4x mint price now. Better then the 25th anniversary set. That first night they hit about $700 a set!
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Paulyaces76
    Right at about 800 of these had sold on ebay since 12:00 that is a high percentage of 25,000 total! I know mine will go in the attic love the look of sealed boxes! Lol

I would not store anything of value in an attic...they get way too hot in summer and heat destroyes a lot....not the coins but the packaging COA etc.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mariner67
    Originally posted by: Paulyaces76

I would not store anything of value in an attic...they get way too hot in summer and heat destroyes a lot....not the coins but the packaging COA etc.

Right, store them in your back seat and then take yourself to lunch at the diner.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

At that price, maybe I can trade my 2 Silver Medals for 1 Gold.

Any takers? image

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mint News Blog has a write-up of today's opening of sales and going unavailable with in minutes.

LINK

BTW - all you that have reported getting shipping notices - did you order the expedited shipping?

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: COCollector

Any takers? image

I will trade you all 4 of my medals for one gold.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PaleElf

Originally posted by: COCollector

Any takers? image

I will trade you all 4 of my medals for one gold.

You are a nice guy. image

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was another 2015 APE thing for me, I decided to order two of each at about 11:59. I figured it was only a $30 gamble to order the max, so I did.

I'm not a flipper, but at the current resale prices, I'm tempted. (And I'm not as big a fan of the 2015 HR, as say, the 2016 APE.)

Selling a sealed box of 4 could mean the upcoming SLQ could cost me $150 instead of $500. (BTW, if gold stays where it is for the next couple of weeks, the SLQ will be $485...) Decisions, decisions... image

Oh, still no tracking number. I'm hoping the improved route my smartpost package took the last time wasn't an accident...
  • Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Just looking at ebay sales for above $600 for the 4 coins. It's interesting to note that in all cases where the buyer is shown using Ebay Item Lookup, the same buyer has bought all the coins. While not counting accurately, I would say last 10 coins sets of this value were purchased by one individual. One can come to two conclusions. Someone really want to build up a stash of these coins for resale, or one is trying to up the price of these sets. I am probably way off on this assessment. I just though it is interesting.
    Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why the Mint decided that only 12,500 each of these medals was a good idea when 50,000 of the gold coins sold.

Is their market analysis that bad? Or are they jerking their customer base around on purpose?

It seems hard to believe that they would ignore such basic things as collectors' desire for matching sets of the same design.

Sometimes I just have to shake my head and laugh.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Honestly, I think we are seeing a huge short squeeze in this coin. Might be the TV people might be a big dealer. They are just selling non-stop with higher prices. It has to stop soon! Some big needed a lot of these!
  • Options
    These were a dropkick:

very low mintage, affordable silver, two mint styles, sleeper to many uninformed non CU members along with...

Assured sell out thus growing demand for the flip, nice design particularly the reverse, and easily digestible for the avid or newbie collector.

I was glad to get what I did with the overloaded wonky system.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Is the mint starting a series with this medal?

Technically it is a medal, not a coin. So if they start a series of future coins could they include the medal in the series? It could become the key. Or is this just a one-off like the 2009 UHR?

Seems they put a lot of effort into the design just for a one-off.

Coin Week Article

According to the CCAC, the issuance of silver medal versions of the American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin would be vital because gold is often too expensive for the interested collector.

But, just in case the silver medal aspect of the series fell through, Gary Marks had proposed a series of Proof silver medals featuring Liberty at the previous committee meeting in April of 2013. The medals would be dated, and bear a new design each year. Bronze and even gold medals would possibly have been issued as part of that program, as well.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a simple yet elegant design. If part of a new series and they keep it affordable it could really catch on like the ASE's imho.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Manorcourtman

This is a simple yet elegant design. If part of a new series and they keep it affordable it could really catch on like the ASE's imho.

I might be an exception but I would want these hallmarked with fineness and weight. Not that the Chinese wouldn't add weight and fineness if it were there but.....

• Options
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

I might be an exception but I would want these hallmarked with fineness and weight. Not that the Chinese wouldn't add weight and fineness if it were there but.....

True but the simple design void of any bullion markings make it attractive imho.
  • Options
    Agreed Mano! Keepin it simple was the secret to this secret silver medal.
  • Options
    tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    I see though my bank its in pending . However I forgot to update my expiration date on the USMint website before I ordered. Will the order still go though? Its strange it shows in Pending on both webistes.
    Has anyones order been shipped yet?
    Transactions..
    wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard
  • Options
    Originally posted by: tizofthe
    I see though my bank its in pending . However I forgot to update my expiration date on the USMint website before I ordered. Will the order still go though? Its strange it shows in Pending on both webistes.
    Has anyones order been shipped yet?

I would call the Mint immediately. If the CC doesn't work they just cancel. Of course most other companies would contact the customer for the correct info. Not then.

• Options
    Since it doesn't fit in my type set, it's not a coin. image
  • Options
    I'm still trying to get one of them 2008 with the 2007 reverse SAE's that went through the roof.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I got mine this morning, next day delivery.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1
    I got mine this morning, next day delivery.

Great! Fell free to post multiple photos...
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got the shipped email. Expecting Saturday delivery if the USPS is extra efficient....Monday if they aren't.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got a tracking number. ETA, Tuesday at best, I think. An optimistic best.

Smartpost. It's like, getting to be an insult.

"You're a Smartpost."
    "No, you're a Smartpost."
    "I called you a Smartpost first."
    "I don't care, you're still a Smartpost."

See? This could lead to violence. image
  • Options
    My order shipped too!

Alex
  • Options
    Just got the shipping notice for my four.
    Sadly, they used Fedex Smartpost, so they are likely to arrive any time between tomorrow and Halloween.
    Now I'm in a pickle as to how to dispose of them.
    The sealed box of all four or open them and sell individually?
    I want to maximize my profit but I don't feeling like rolling the dice on the expense of getting them graded in hope of 70s.
  • Options
    I too got a shipping notice and am OK with a snail's pace as I like the design and the CHEAP price!
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: NickDanger
    Sadly, they used Fedex Smartpost, so they are likely to arrive any time between tomorrow and Halloween.
    I want to maximize my profit but I don't feeling like rolling the dice on the expense of getting them graded in hope of 70s.

If you are not grading sell the sealed box.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

.... or am I too late ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: NickDanger

If you are not grading sell the sealed box.

That's my inclination but I'll monitor the auction results for the next few (hopefully) days before my goodies arrive.
  • Options
    Got the shipping notice for my four as well.
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see some forum members score.
    I was on 3g or 4g cell phone service while trying to order since it was my daughters first day back to school and I was away from home. I thought my issues were cell phone related but it seems even people on computers had issues.
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    Some of us scored then got ripped off selling on the BST. Seller beware.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: IwasAgentjim007

Please explain.........If there is a problem among us please advise.......
  • Options
    I'm not getting into it in open forum. Do your homework before you sell on the BST.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: IwasAgentjim007

Please explain.........If there is a problem among us please advise.......

I believe he is referring to selling too cheap. The presale offers were extremely low compared to what they are actually selling for after the sell out. I am also regretting my early sale, but I am a man of my word and would never consider myself " ripped off".

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people sold their box of 4 for less than $200 I believe, and now that they are bringing $500 net of fees (+/- 10%), I believe some people feel ripped off.
  • Options
    Why are we held to a higher honor than those buyers that cheat us? I feel I was treated no better than the old lady that walks into a shop with her dead husbands coin collection. I expect to be treated fairly by the buyers here so when I thought I was doing a favor selling my 4 medals for $15 over my cost I was told " that's fair" those with access to CCE know that was never fair. So go ahead ant stick up for the buyers that treat us on the BST like fish in a barrel. BTW I did still sell the medals.
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jclovescoins

Some people sold their box of 4 for less than $200 I believe, and now that they are bringing $500 net of fees (+/- 10%), I believe some people feel ripped off. It's my feeling that a buyer should split the difference with those that pre-sold for $200. This seems to be fair (a common mentality on the forum) considering the responses to the recent "ethical" thread.

Should a seller reimburse the buyer if the buyer loses money at the end of the day? I think not. I am sure some buyers lost money on some gold Mercury's. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Sellers got what they wanted... a profit. Buyers will also profit. The market decides who will profit more. I definitely don't feel bad for a seller who strictly made the purchase for a quick buck.

BTW... I am still waiting for the SEC to be honorable and split the difference on all my losing trades. image
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SEC will help if there is "insider trading" image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file