Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Now That The Series Is Just About "Closed", Does Anyone Want To Talk About Gold Spouse Coins

1235»

Comments

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have a total figure for the PR and MS sets?
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OB: I think about $84k through 2015.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: wondercoin

Wondercoin

Is that good or bad?
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ChrisRx

Wondercoin

Is that good or bad?

It depends. If you enjoyed collecting them the last ten years and now needed to sell them it could be win win.

Earlier in the post I mentioned that a set in 70 PCGS costs around $80,000 based on what I paid over the years. So maybe the seller did not make money, but also did not lose much, if anything, either.

I think there were several buyers picking which ones they wanted the most, and I believe some were able to get some nice low mintage FS coins at what will eventually be considered low prices, in my opinion.

No logic at all as to the price paid for the Roosevelt PR70 at over $4,000. For some unknown reason two people really wanted that coin and did not want to wait.
  • Options
    Well.. considering the commission, grading fees, etc. Was money made?

That would help define the success.
  • Options
    ChrisRX... I believe the consignor made money on the set due, in part, to the strong results of the top handful of coins in the collection. Remember, gold was at a range of about $600-$1,900 during the series run, which might average about where gold stands today. That might infer to me that the next 9 years could strongly outperform the first nine, which included buying the raw coins in the first place strongly above the current melt values per the US Mint grid. But, let's face it, if gold performs poorly over the next 9 years, I personally can't expect the coins to do all that well either (and vice versa).

The "base value" of the melt value of the 40 ozs of gold in the set is still obviously very attractive to many collectors of the series.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now That The Series Is Just About "Closed", Does Anyone Want To Talk About Gold Spouse Coins

NO!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Too late Lakes ... the conversation continues .... LOL

Wondercoin
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    ChrisRX... I believe the consignor made money on the set due, in part, to the strong results of the top handful of coins in the collection. Remember, gold was at a range of about $600-$1,900 during the series run, which might average about where gold stands today. That might infer to me that the next 9 years could strongly outperform the first nine, which included buying the raw coins in the first place strongly above the current melt values per the US Mint grid. But, let's face it, if gold performs poorly over the next 9 years, I personally can't expect the coins to do all that well either (and vice versa).

The "base value" of the melt value of the 40 ozs of gold in the set is still obviously very attractive to many collectors of the series.

Wondercoin

If you say so, official WTF and go back to lawyering. MHO.

Makes little sense, PCGS shows your pic as an expert.

Time to evaluate, crazy, not buying again.

MHO.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

Wondercoin

If you say so, official WTF and go back to lawyering. MHO.

Makes little sense, PCGS shows your pic as an expert.

Time to evaluate, crazy, not buying again.

MHO.

This is an example of the passion, in both directions, that this series encourages with the drive or desire towards profit rather than collectibility due to beauty.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many bona fide collectors are there of this set? Including PCGS, NGC and ungraded coins, what is the best guestimate?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52
    How many bona fide collectors are there of this set? Including PCGS, NGC and ungraded coins, what is the best guestimate?

Probably a few dozen of the entire series. Possibly several thousand of specific coins or subsets, such as the four "Liberty" coins.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52

I think the best way to gauge that is the mint sales, and they are under 2000 for unc and under 2500 for proof.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nevermind.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flippers have given up on this series. I wonder how many collectors are overseas?
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: kiyote
    Flippers have given up on this series. I wonder how many collectors are overseas?

They had to. They are done with new issues and the new issues don't sell out, hence the low mintages.
  • Options

Wondercoin

While that is somewhat expected (there is a reason that the mintages keep dropping and many still avail at the mint), it does reflect something. First strike really did not add value to 95% of the coins in the full set. Only 3 coins really showed a premium. It is also worth noting that PR realized higher prices than MS. While also somewhat expected, I was thinking some of the lower MS mintage coins would bring a bit stronger $$.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    OperationButter....

I am not sure the 95% is the right number until we see what non-FS coins will fetch in a similar auction setting. For example, wouldn't you agree that the (4) 2008 Liberty subset coins are worth a good bit less without FS than what they sold for at this auction?

Yes, indeed, three FS coins did just fine and one of them fabulously well (way beyond anyone's reasonable expectations).

I agree that the proof coins shined compared to the Mint State counterparts.

Just my two cents.

Wondercoin

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't afford all the gold so collected the entire set through the Presidential Coin First Spouse Medal Sets. There are some price pressures on a few of these medal sets like this one

Hoover

Looks like a bidding war between two people.

2sAAOSwqfNXkkcP">Roosevelt
  • Options
    It seems Low mintages doesn't mean much with low interest with this series now complete.
  • Options
    It seems Low mintages doesn't mean much with low interest with this series now complete.

2 words: Jackie Robinson.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ProofCollection

2 words: Jackie Robinson.

The unc. 1997 Jackie Robinson gold (mintage 5174) is now going for under $1000. It was about $4400 at its peak.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    The unc. 1997 Jackie Robinson gold (mintage 5174) is now going for under $1000. It was about $4400 at its peak.

These things do go in cycles. Jackie Robinson wasn't that popular when it was being offered by the Mint, then the low mintage became a factor and it became the Key. Now that low mintages for Gold Commems are more commonplace, the market is adjusting to the new reality.

The more common Modern Gold Commems have become competitive as generic bullion, and I see the same tendency in the more common Gold Spouses, especially in raw and 69 grades.

I don't view either of these phenomena as a bad thing. It gives would-be collectors and new collectors a 2nd chance to take a stab at a set. My own opinion - when the precious metals markets make another run, whether it be in 1 year or 10 years, new collectors will enter the market and the Gold Spouses will benefit in all grades.

For every 5 bullion speculators, 1 of them will turn into new collector who sticks his toe in the pond and likes it. And for every $500 rise in the price of gold, more of the Gold Spouses will disappear into collections, and also into the melting pot. Nobody will notice until they are gone.

It's only a matter of time.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Does anyone have the final mintages?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Does anyone have the final mintages?

This is what I have...

AUDITED:

2007 Martha Washington
    Proof 19,167
    Unc 17,661
    2007 Abigail Adams
    Proof 17,149
    Unc 17,142
    2007 Thomas Jefferson’s Liberty
    Proof 19,815
    Unc 19,823
    2007 Dolley Madison
    Proof 17,943
    Unc 12,340
    2008 Elizabeth Monroe
    Proof 7,800
    Unc 4,462
    2008 Louisa Adams
    Proof 6,581
    Unc 3,885
    2008 Andrew Jackson’s Liberty
    Proof 7,684
    Unc 4,609
    2008 Martin Van Buren’s Liberty
    Proof 6,807
    Unc 3,826
    2009 Anna Harrison
    Proof 6,251
    Unc 3,645
    2009 Letitia Tyler
    Proof 5,296
    Unc 3,240
    2009 Julia Tyler
    Proof 4,844
    Unc 3,143
    2009 Sarah Polk
    Proof 5,151
    Unc 3,489
    2009 Margaret Taylor
    Proof 4,936
    Unc 3,627
    2010 Abigail Fillmore
    Proof 6,130
    Unc 3,482
    2010 Jane Pierce
    Proof 4,775
    Unc 3,338
    2010 James Buchanan’s Liberty
    Proof 7,110
    Unc 5,162
    2010 Mary Todd Lincoln
    Proof 6,861
    Unc 3,695
    2011 Eliza Johnson
    Proof 3,887
    Unc 2,905
    2011 Julia Grant
    Proof 3,943
    Unc 2,892
    2011 Lucy Hayes
    Proof 3,868
    Unc 2,196
    2011 Lucretia Garfield
    Proof 3,653
    Unc 2,168

NOT AUDITED:

2012 Alice Paul
    Proof 3,505
    Unc 2,798
    2012 Frances Cleveland 1st
    Proof 3,158
    Unc 2,454
    2012 Caroline Harrison
    Proof 3,046
    Unc 2,436
    2012 Frances Cleveland 2nd
    Proof 3,104
    Unc 2,425
    2013 Edith Wilson
    Proof 2,464
    Unc 1,974
    2013 Elllen Wilson
    Proof 2,511
    Unc 1,980
    2013 Helen Taft
    Proof 2,598
    Unc 1,993
    2013 Ida McKinley
    Proof 2,724
    Unc 2,008
    2013 Edith Roosevelt
    Proof 2,840
    Unc 2,027
    2014 Eleanor Roosevelt
    Proof 2,377
    Unc 1,886
    2014 Grace Coolidge
    Proof 2,315
    Unc 1,949
    2014 Florence Harding
    Proof 2,372
    Unc 1,944
    2014 Lou Hoover
    Proof 2,392
    Unc 1,936
    2015 Bess Truman
    Proof 2,747
    Unc 1,946
    2015 Mamie Eisenhower
    Proof 2,704
    Unc 2,102
    2015 Jackie Kennedy
    Proof 11,222
    Unc 6,771
    2015 Lady Bird Johnson
    Proof 2,653
    Unc 1,927
    2016 Patricia Nixon
    Proof 2,645
    Unc 1,839
    2016 Betty Ford
    Proof 2,471
    Unc 1,824
    2016 Nancy Reagan
    Proof 3,548
    Unc 2,009

• Options

@cagcrisp - thanks! Those look like most of the same numbers that I have, but I will do a comparison tonight.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Just to clarify, we are looking at a low of 1824 on the Unc Ford as the low? And 2315 on the PR Coolidge as the low?

When do we typically see audited numbers?

Really fascinating to see the drop off in demand for these and when new ones are made Im curious what the demand will look like.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a couple of dozen of these, PR and MS, in the last 6 months. I scrapped them all as bullion.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

it’s hard to believe this program is still going. We will have a Barbara Bush coin before too long.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file