Home U.S. Coin Forum

If you had to start over again would you collect US coins or something else?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
Assume that you know everything that you know now.
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stock in Amazon.
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    A great question. I would probably have focused on European coins, especially the UK, France, and the German Empire. A lot more bang for the buck, in my opinion.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I went back in time to say around 1990 I would load up on bullion and world gold in addition to USA Large Size Currency, especially Gem Nationals and Large Size Type. Values skyrocketed for these down the road.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes because of the general beauty of the coinage and the associated compelling history of my country.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean go back in time and start over or start over now?

If I went back in time; I wouldn't do anything different and I would've still collected Walkers, although I would have likely bought more gold, as just previously mentioned.

If starting over now----that would be extremely difficult. I don't believe that my set would be of the same technical quality. I've been very LUCKY and finding those coins again would be challenging, if not impossible, especially at the same prices. I'd likely still try, though.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd buy guns and .22 ammo (back in the 60's)

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but I would have done it smarter and better.

There are a lot world coins with amazing designs and high quality out there but a complete set would be impossible to complete.

Of course a complete US Type set is also an impossible feat (at least for me) since there are a group that would cost $500k to obtain.
  • GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still collect us coins. It is the most interesting to me and has the most information and activity
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

I'd buy guns and .22 ammo (back in the 60's)

bobimage

I'll NEVER forget in 1986, when I was about 20 years old. I was at a gun show at a military base/armory and there was this hillbilly in dirty, greasy overalls and he had a long gray beard. He had for sale not one but TWO Mannlicher Schoenauer Austrian 1961 model rifles. There were the much rarer full stock models, too.

BOTH were heavily factory engraved on both the metal (action/barrel) and the wood stock. Both were uniquely different and gorgeous. He was asking 1800 a piece IIRC and they were about 98% or better. They would be worth MANY tens of thousands today and very rare (I have not seen any before or since).

But that was a lot of money for a barely 20 year old kid, especially in 1986. image

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I knew everything I know now I could buy whatever the heck I wanted!

Seriously though it is a good question and I understand the intent.

I collect a little bit of everything now and I enjoy it.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Walkerfan
    Do you mean go back in time and start over or start over now?

If I went back in time; I wouldn't do anything different and I would've still collected Walkers, although I would have likely bought more gold, as just previously mentioned.

If starting over now----that would be extremely difficult. I don't believe that my set would be of the same technical quality. I've been very LUCKY and finding those coins again would be challenging, if not impossible, especially at the same prices. I'd likely still try, though.

Start over now was my idea.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started over a couple years ago and formed the collection I have now. If I started over again I would do the same.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thrill of mowing those lawns in 1971 and sending off (cash) money to the magazine sellers who advertised 3 Lincolns of certain dates for a buck . . or 50c. for certain better dates . . .and waiting by the mailbox every day in the summer for the mailman (not letter carrier in that day) to arrive. Oh, the day they came . . .nearly slick, overgraded, and certainly not even remotely worth the money, but inspirational. Looking at that faint V.D.B. on the back of that 1909 (??) Lincoln, was a thrill I have seldom seen in my life. Something so old . . . so used . . . so full of history and hands from long ago that used that coin. It felt like I possessed an 1822 $5 at the time. Yes, it was only worth a nickel.

Then filling a Washie Dansco with primarily junk-bowl silver . . . . buying BU Roosies and looking for toned coins . . . grabbing dozens of target toned Jeffs . . . the excitement of collecting has powered me through thick and thin of the last 45 years.

Every main set done. Registries, spectacular toners, Commems, and ANA positions later . . . I can't believe how lucky I have been.

I would do it all the same way . . . . it ISN'T all about the money. I have done very well . . .and learned a lot, but I would not change a thing. I have started dozens of collectors down their journeys, experienced many friends and relationships through numismatics, and enriched my life in so many ways I can't even begin to express them.

Yup. Would not change a single thing . . . .

Drunner
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started with buffalos in 1957 and branched out into indian cents. After a hiatus I branched out further into Morgans, Franklins, walkers, and large cents and dabbled in other obsolete coins. By 1976 I could "see my neighbor's fire" and got into world silver coins and from there I quickly got into US and world moderns and world tokens and medals. By 2004 I had gotten rid of "everything" except tokens, medals, and moderns.

I'm not sure I could do it any differently.
    Tempus fugit.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Catbert
    Yes because of the general beauty of the coinage and the associated compelling history of my country.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DRUNNER

The thrill of mowing those lawns in 1971 and sending off (cash) money to the magazine sellers who advertised 3 Lincolns of certain dates for a buck . . or 50c. for certain better dates . . .and waiting by the mailbox every day in the summer for the mailman (not letter carrier in that day) to arrive. Oh, the day they came . . .nearly slick, overgraded, and certainly not even remotely worth the money, but inspirational. Looking at that faint V.D.B. on the back of that 1909 (??) Lincoln, was a thrill I have seldom seen in my life. Something so old . . . so used . . . so full of history and hands from long ago that used that coin. It felt like I possessed an 1822 $5 at the time. Yes, it was only worth a nickel.

Then filling a Washie Dansco with primarily junk-bowl silver . . . . buying BU Roosies and looking for toned coins . . . grabbing dozens of target toned Jeffs . . . the excitement of collecting has powered me through thick and thin of the last 45 years.

Every main set done. Registries, spectacular toners, Commems, and ANA positions later . . . I can't believe how lucky I have been.

I would do it all the same way . . . . it ISN'T all about the money. I have done very well . . .and learned a lot, but I would not change a thing. I have started dozens of collectors down their journeys, experienced many friends and relationships through numismatics, and enriched my life in so many ways I can't even begin to express them.

Drunner
    You are an inspiration, DRUNNER. My hero. I feel the same way.

Lance.

Originally posted by: lkeigwin

Originally posted by: DRUNNER

Drunner
    You are an inspiration, DRUNNER. My hero. I feel the same way.

Lance.

Bravo! Excellent post!! image

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ambro51

Stock in Amazon.

This x 800 or Netflix when it was less than $2.
  • CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was driving through town about a year ago with my good friend. We pulled up behind a 1968 (maybe 1969...not sure) Comaro Z28 396. It was original but looking good for its age. I turned over to my friend and said "why didn't we buy one of those 40 years ago or so when they were sitting on the lot for about $400.00". He said "because we didn't have $400.00 40 years ago". 30 or 40 years ago we should of bought a lot of things...Colt single action armys...Winchester model '73's...Carson City Dollars...real estate...etc. But we didn't have the money...

CC
    Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got back into collecting in 2008 after a 17 year break. I went full force into U.S. not knowing about slabs and such. I assembled a OK mid grade type set minus gold. But I got my first ancient in 2009 and haven't looked back. I would have love to have gotten into ancients much earlier when the market was cheaper and apparently the ebay pickings were much better.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bronzemat

I got back into collecting in 2008 after a 17 year break. I went full force into U.S. not knowing about slabs and such. I assembled a OK mid grade type set minus gold. But I got my first ancient in 2009 and haven't looked back. I would have love to have gotten into ancients much earlier when the market was cheaper and apparently the ebay pickings were much better.

Ancients are still undervalued.

Tempus fugit.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Not sure I understand the question.

- Drunner's answer is yet another gem.

- I've always felt that this hobby chose me. I had no say in the matter.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U.S. Type Coinage...the same as today.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,...
  • deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    U.S. coinage, then now and in the future. I wouldn't change a thing. My mistakes are how I've learned.
    Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    If I could go back to mid-60s, I would buy as many Chinese rare coins as I can and easily make 100X to 1000X today.
    Of course, why buy coins. Buying Chinese paintings in 60s -70s could make 1000X-5000X today which are as good as the best single US stock performance image You simply needs to know where is the next economic blooming country and invest on their items.

For US coinage, again, it is a hobby. If I could do it all over again, from today, I would remind myself that "it is just a hobby."
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have started over once and am probably in a migratory pattern now... fly the one area for a time, fly back to my other area, repeat.

• OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    If I could go back to the first time I bought a coin (not one that was given), I would def do it over and have about 1000x more wealth image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Dark side. Larger palate and much better designs. Bigger history. It is all fun for me tho.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. But I would have stuck to a solid AU 19th Century type set, and avoided the prices and perils which come with higher grades in cons in many of the series involved in building the set.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cladking

Originally posted by: bronzemat

Ancients are still undervalued.

I wish I'd bought that Nero aureus I had the opportunity to scoop up for $900-ish back in 1997 or 1998. The price was still at the upper ends of possibility on my budget, but by selling some other stuff I maybe could've stretched and (just) gotten it. Nowadays you don't see a Roman gold aureus for less than $2K, and usually more.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowing what i know now, i just wouldnt't collect coins. I have loved collecting, but the window of early ebay and finding nice coins to send to grading services is now over. i used to be able to buy coins below their market price, and have an asset that i could enjoy and know that i could sell for my cost or better. now it is always the opposite...upside down by 20% or more when you factor selling commissions.

I love coins, but i have an obligation to myself and family not to foolishly flittter away my hard earned money. I will always keep searching, and will probably throw my money down the coin shat-hole every so often, but the thrill is gone for me.

I wouldn't start collecting again.

Tyler
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hindsight is always 20/20.... and of course, if I could go back, with full knowledge I have now,

I would do things a bit differently.... The lure of time travel is part of the human condition...

All in all, I am quite happy with what I have done and where I am now. Cheers, RickO
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very happy with what I have, and I've never been one of those collectors who builds a collection and then sells it because all of the fun for them is in "the chase." I enjoy "the chase" to a point, but it can get old for me too.

Having gone pretty far in the U.S. in recent years I have branched out to British coins back to a bit before William the Conquorer. If you think that early U.S. coins are crude, you need to get into hammered English!
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth
    Assume that you know everything that you know now.

Yes.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope i'd keep collecting whatever coins got my notice, tends to keep the thrill of the hunt alive

coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/MUcEu23nqpzNqJhX6

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id still collect the us and maybe more canadian ( the older stuff )
  • 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭
    Definitely pre 1935 Chinese gold coins
  • RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Great answers! I'm a BIG believer that hindsight is 20-20 and a Fool's errand. I made my choices and ran every one down with the passion of a lovesick teenager chasing the Prom Queen. Numismatics has been perhaps my single greatest enjoyment in life (outside of family, love, etc...) and I can't question how it all worked out. Right now, I find myself enamored with coins from early American history. I've dubbed the collection "The Coins of George Washington" as they (1) must be from 1732-1799 or prior and (2) have been potentially found in the Colonies. I'm having a helluva good time and the hobby has reinvented itself for me for the umpteenth time. No, like Drunner (who nailed it imo), I would not change a single thing.

PS.....maybe the one exception to that would be that I wish in my younger days I had been less obsessed with the $$$ and more relaxed. It's considerably MORE fun now to just enjoy the history and beauty and not be so preoccupied with making a buck.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably would have put together more medals (Betts) and foreign

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very happy with what I have done- even with the mistakes along the way. And most of the mistakes have been passing up opportunities.

One consideration in the purchasing decision making process is figuring the frequency of even having that opportunity and when it may come again. With some coins, rhere is really not much to consider and with others... well that is how mistakes can be made.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Vintage Ferraris
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely would have bought space memorabilia in the early 1990's when they essentially hit the market for the first time if I had known they were available for purchase.

Having said that, I've had a GAS buying coins over the last 25 years, even though if I figure it all out from the beginning (where I took a BIG hit courtesy of the late 1980's slab bubble followed by the crash in 1989 - 1990) I'm sure I'm net in the hole. Needless to say, I've done a LOT better once I started collecting coins as works of art and history as opposed to as investments.

Obviously you learn through your mistakes, but if my tastes then were what my tastes have become now, I would have bought a bunch more DBHE material.

Of course, one of the GREAT things about coin collecting is the serendipity of finding certain coins at certain places while not expecting them. I've got a variety of coins through serendipity I would hate to NOT have in my collection.

Finally, as mentioned by others, the NICEST thing about coin collecting is the other coin geeks you meet along the way. I feel blessed to have become friends with a variety of you guys out there...
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely should have put the cash under the mattress, and sucked my thumb. image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was just reviewing my past 11 years of submissions to PCGS. Strangely I submitted no coins in '08, nor in '15. Knowing what I know, I think that was foolish of me. Look at that '08 / '07 reverse SAE as an example. image I still don't have one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file