Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2016 Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I am impressed with the gm making a couple of great pickups last week.
    Ziegler looked like a closer to me and Hill has played great also.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good way to go into the break. Winning streaks help people heal more quickly!
  • Options
    Is Pomerance going to be the help they need?
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw that Michael kopech hit 105 mph on the gun. What an arm

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Originally posted by: pitboss

Is Pomerance going to be the help they need?

He's been better than all other starters on the Sox this year, other than Wright, so magic 8 ball says "all signs point to yes"
  • Options
    Maybe Eduardo Rodriguez is back!
  • Options
    Eduardo sure looked good today!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Sox!!!
  • Options
    Porcello looked good last night. Things are looking up I think. Pomeranz tonight.

• Options
    Twins are a good opponent again!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pedroia 5-5...what an outstanding performance. This guy continues to be rock solid, day in, day out, he's in the game. He does it all, what a tremendous asset to the team. Pound for pound, size for size, I don't think there's a better 2nd baseman in the game.

Tip of the cap to Peedy!!!!

One day, along with #34, #15 will go on the right field façade.
  • Options
    bases loaded, none out. Zero runs against THE TWINS! Ugh
  • Options
    And the good news is Jeff Gordon is racing in place of Dale Earnhart in the 88 car tomorrow. Something to look forward to.
  • Options
    A pathetic collapse against one of the worst teams in MLB.

Over-PRICEd goes 5.2 innings and gives up 5 runs, ballooning his ERA to 4.51.

UBER too many BUCKies gives up 3 runs in 1 inning, his ERA now 6.10

I'll bet Dombrowski's blood pressure was in the seriously high zone after yesterday's debacle. Hopefully they keep a defibrillator nearby to resuscitate him if need be.

FLASH NEWS...the Timlin bus is heading to Fenway, last seen coming down the Mass Pike, with a banner on the side saying "coming to get Bucky".

Instead of the faithful chanting "let's go Red Sox"...the new chant has to be "Buck sucks".

All you GMs...keep paying those insane salaries for future performance that more often than not fails to meet expectations. Bucky and Price, along with El Sapo Gordo et al, are laughing all the way to the bank. Pretty good gigs for playing a kid's game for 6 months.
  • Options
    Nascar is more fun to watch right now!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MCMLVTopps

A pathetic collapse against one of the worst teams in MLB.

Over-PRICEd goes 5.2 innings and gives up 5 runs, ballooning his ERA to 4.51.

UBER too many BUCKies gives up 3 runs in 1 inning, his ERA now 6.10

I'll bet Dombrowski's blood pressure was in the seriously high zone after yesterday's debacle. Hopefully they keep a defibrillator nearby to resuscitate him if need be.

FLASH NEWS...the Timlin bus is heading to Fenway, last seen coming down the Mass Pike, with a banner on the side saying "coming to get Bucky".

Instead of the faithful chanting "let's go Red Sox"...the new chant has to be "Buck sucks".

All you GMs...keep paying those insane salaries for future performance that more often than not fails to meet expectations. Bucky and Price, along with El Sapo Gordo et al, are laughing all the way to the bank. Pretty good gigs for playing a kid's game for 6 months.

when you need a shut down reliever, Farrell leaves Ziegler in the pen

• Options
    12 pitch ninth for Ziegler today. Wish they could use him daily
  • Options
    Pitching still sucks big time and the hitting is too sporadic for them to advance far in the playoffs.
  • Options
    Watching "pomegranate " pitch. He loves the middle of the plate image
  • Options
    If the sox are going to win anything this year the a deal has to be made or it will be the infamous"wait till next year".
  • Options
    The following from the uber-spin master. This from ESPN Boston...

"It's been a mixed bag," manager John Farrell said of Pomeranz, who coughed up a 2-1 lead in the third inning when he left a cutter over the plate for Albert Pujols to smash for his 580th career home run. "Three starts in, I know the numbers can look out of sync or not strong. But still, there's quality stuff being thrown. It's a matter of consistency."

Sure John, that's why they're in 3rd place and rapidly catching the Yankees.

As predicted, "at some point" Ramirez would choke...witness the wild throw to home.

The team is going down hill, and post season play is slipping through their fingers. Barring a miraculous string of wins and soon, the fat lady will be warming up her pipes. I rarely have the opportunity to watch, and happily so.

Hey Dave...keep spending John Henry's coin only to get barely marginal performance.
  • Options
    Pedroia to the rescue today!
  • Options
    Who is Dombrowski going to trade for Sale, Benentendi or Moncada?
    I think Benentendi as they have too much money invested on Moncada.
    Would prefer if they kept them both and brought up Johnson from the minors.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pitboss

Who is Dombrowski going to trade for Sale, Benentendi or Moncada?

I think Benentendi as they have too much money invested on Moncada.

Would prefer if they kept them both and brought up Johnson from the minors.

Moncada should be untouchable. Would love to see Suckholz thrown in (salary paid) to any trade image
  • Options
    Well I got my wish and they did not trade either of them.
    Johnson will be up in Sept at the latest along with Moncada and Benentendi.
    We shall see what happens after that.

So much for Sept, here comes Benentendi in Aug skipping AAA all together..
  • Options
    nice showing by Abad in his first appearance imageimage
  • Options
    Bring Johnson up to pitch, he could not be any worse that what they have now.

Looks like Benentendi did well in his first start in left field.

Get Moncada over at third to learn the ropes, they will need him also.

Start weeding out the rest of the deadwood as they are going nowhere with what they have now.

There are no good players out there to trade for so sox have to make the best out of what they have.
  • Options
    Pitboss...

Your answer is always "bring up so and so"...like the new guy will bring some magic potion and start a magical winning streak for this team. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. You were almost apoplectic over Swihart...where is he now? Can't just keep bringing up people...management needs to work with what they have and hone their skills.

The Red Sox have enough talent to win, they're just not doing so, plain and simple. If they do not capitalize on the upcoming 7 games with the Rays and then the 3 Rays games in September, they might as well start making those vacation plans for October.

I will predict here and now...ready? The Red Sox will not make it past the ALCS, if they are fortunate enough to even get that far.

• Options
    Sox have to see what they have in Pawtucket at this point before they give them all away for some over the hills player for $25 million a year salary.

Management is stupid.

There could be some more gems like Betts, Bradley and Bogaerts waiting in the wings.

They are going nowhere this year so why not see what they can do.

I am not saying one player is going to change the team but you never know what will spark them.

Pitching always seems to be a major problem and when they do get pitching then there is no hitting.

Right now it does not look good for the playoffs but what else is new?
  • Options
    I agree that the Sox have enough talent to win right now. Not sure what rushing someone up will accomplish. Hopefully benentendi wasnt brought up too fast. Wright had a great start last night though.

• Options
    If the pitching staff can heat up just enough to carry them to a Playoff spot then anything will be possible
  • Options
    Benentendi should be the final piece in the outfield with Swihart being the forth as soon as his ankle heals witch will probably not be until next season.
    Infield will be set if Moncada is all he is supposed to be.
    Pitching is still very iffy though.
  • Options
    Baltimore and Toronto are not setting the world on fire either so maybe the sox will get it together to at least make a show of it.

We can always hope anyway.
  • Options
    Price's contract, worst ever? Shaping up that way again.
  • Options
    Try Johnson! He can't do any worse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Barndog
    Price's contract, worst ever? Shaping up that way again.

Worst ever is a big statement, hope it don't turn out that way. Remember we way overpaid for Dice K but at least got a World Series ring
  • Options
    Benintendi is hitting well so far. So glad he wasn't traded.

• Options
    Was able to watch most of the game last night...only because it was on MLB tv.

Benintendi made a nice debut in Fenway and really juiced the crowd (and his parents) with the obvious homer to deep center, which was ruled a double. Remy goes on to make an excellent point with the yellow foul line ending perpendicular to the ledge of the small flat area, which is "fair territory". How the "rules committee" could call that yellow line foul territory, when the infamous Pesky pole is fair, as is the left field yellow line, is pretty lame.

Benintendi should go on to be a star player for the Red Sox, no doubt this guy can hit the ball, hopefully he learns the left field wall...which, no doubt they are educating him on.

Remy seeks clarification from "the truck" to blow up the impact point and TC (Tom Caron), who confirms the ball foul...according to the "rules". He was as stunned as I...I think Benintendi got screwed.

Now comes the ace closer who choked his way to the bases loaded. Teixeira takes strike 3...maybe he should follow ARod into early retirement. I would be very surprised if ARod doesn't receive a resounding dose of boos from the Fenway Faithful....and, much deserved. Adios Arod.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ........and booed he was.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    I watched as much of that game last night as I could stand and was thoroughly disgusted by what I saw.
  • Options
    The hapless Red Sox continue to implode on the field. Benintendi's miscue didn't help.

The Red Sox are (IMO) a "wannabe great team"...all the pieces are there, all the numbers say they should be slaying the dragon, but, not so. Pitching has almost become a nightmare...change that, has become a nightmare. Too much being made of Ortiz's farewell tour and not enough focus on what's going on between the lines.

Therefore, the team continues its steady march to catch the Yankees, going in the wrong direction. They had ample opportunity to slam them down, but choked up 2 games when in fact they should have won both for the sweep. Girardi leaving Logan airport off of the oxygen machine...and after tonight, one less turd for him to deal with.

As for the turd, he actually requested to play 3rd base tonight...gotta maximize my exposure to the fans so they can cheer me and chant ARod, ARod...oh yeah, I haven't played 3rd in like forever, DH isn't good enough for me...oh the team? Who the hell are they? I'm ARod, the great PED user, I suck now and I don't care...these clowns in the front office are still gonna give me bazzzzzillions of $$$ to put on some dog and pony show, maybe batting instructor with a backup link to my hookup. What a total DOUCHBAG.

Great teams rise to the occasion, like the 2004 Red Sox, the 2016 is not great, a good club, but can't connect the dots.

Ok, it's official in my book...no post play for this team. Too much of the Abbott and Costello "who's on first..."

• Options
    With 3 spots available who are the sox going to bring up?
  • Options
    Spent a week away, no following of Sox while gone...standings indicate no real change. Did see that Wright is on DL image
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Barndog
    Spent a week away, no following of Sox while gone...standings indicate no real change. Did see that Wright is on DL image

Ya another brilliant Farrell in game managing momentimage

• Options
    This should be the last season for Farrell hopefully. He makes too many mistakes in my opinion but what do I know.
  • Options
    I don't think Farrell is SO bad...but I do think he covers for his players waaaaaaaay too much. Ever the optimist I think he should tell it like it is (was). The glass can't always be half full, oftens times its half empty. I guess he just doesn't want to bruise any egos.

Let us keep in mind its the players who play, he just moves the pieces around a bit. They're supposed to be professionals, not prima donnas. A cohesive team, also known as esprit de corps is what the Red Sox need to find and hold on to...the past 5 games has shown some spark, let's see if they can stay on course and continue to win.

In 2004 it was "cowboy up", and after a shelling on a damp Saturday night by the Yankees, who then went up 3-0 in the ALCS, they came back to win 8 in a row. Greatest comeback in baseball history.

The pieces are there, but time is running out.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MCMLVTopps
    I don't think Farrell is SO bad...but I do think he covers for his players waaaaaaaay too much. Ever the optimist I think he should tell it like it is (was). The glass can't always be half full, oftens times its half empty. I guess he just doesn't want to bruise any egos.

Let us keep in mind its the players who play, he just moves the pieces around a bit. They're supposed to be professionals, not prima donnas. A cohesive team, also known as esprit de corps is what the Red Sox need to find and hold on to...the past 5 games has shown some spark, let's see if they can stay on course and continue to win.

In 2004 it was "cowboy up", and after a shelling on a damp Saturday night by the Yankees, who then went up 3-0 in the ALCS, they came back to win 8 in a row. Greatest comeback in baseball history.

The pieces are there, but time is running out.

The guy is an idiot. Why does Wright get hurt in that situation ? He did not need to be out there , there was a better choice , a fresh from the NL guy who doesn't look like Tom Brady out there as a runner

• Options
    Betts is on fire. Fun to watch him dominate a game
  • Options
    Why in the world did Farrell bring in Tarawa?
    What a dumb move!
    That.s why I have no use for Farrell.