Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2016 Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clinched a playoff birth

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Sox!!!!!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable 10 game run...they deserve all the credit in the world.

I never thought they'd blow through the Yankees and Orioles like they did...now that they have, things are looking pretty bright, all cylinders firing nicely.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ortiz asked the Rays to cancel the Rays' "tribute to David Ortiz" before today's game out of respect for Jose Fernandez and his family. Very appropriate gesture.
  • Options
    Classy move.

• Options
    Why does Farrell ever call for Abad? image
  • Options
    Oddest play at home plate ever. Just going their way sometimes
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44
    I hope I never see benintendi dance like that again.

He can dance any way he wants because he dances when they win.

How about Pedroia's slide into home today?
  • Options
    Sox now have the best record in the AL.
  • Options
    The crazy thing is the core of this team could be together for quite awhile. Most are home grown talent. Very similar to the Yankee teams of 1996-2001

• Options
    Price looked awful last night. Buchholz looking excellent through three today.
  • Options
    six complete for Buchholz, just one hit allowed.

Porcello

Price

Rodriguez

Buchholz

That would be my playoff rotation if the schedule requires four starters (and it usually does)
  • Options
    Thanks to the Orioles!
  • Options
    After that loss I could not even watch the celebration. Kimberly sucked big time!
  • Options
    Does anyone else think the "celebration" last night was kind of forced or contrived? Seems a little silly to do the whole champagne thing after such a tough loss.

In fact, I really think it is sort of silly to bring out the champagne unless you win the world series. All these big celebrations seem a bit much to me. teams do it if they win division, wild card, wild card game, divisional series, alds and world series. That's a lot of champagne.

While I'm at it, hey kid, get off my lawn!!!

• Options
    I say big congrats to the Red Sox for clinching the division. Albeit via an Orioles win...at this stage, with a few games left, I think they would have won it outright either tonight or against the demoralized Jays. They certainly proved me wrong as I wrote their obit more than a month ago.

I also say give the Yankees their due. Texiera could have done a dozen different things and gotten out, in that moment, he did what kids dream of doing, the walk off GS in the bottom of the 9th. So, credit Texiera and the Yankees win. I did however, think it pretty bush league of Texiera to trot around with the huge belt over his shoulder like he'd just won a boxing match against Ali. The Yankees are TOAST this season, he was just trying to show up the Red Sox loss, IMO.

How quickly some get so overly emotional over a meaningless win and are so eager to trash the closer...it wasn't the closer who gave up the tater, although he set the table, it was Kelly, who was HIGHLY touted in the past. It's called baseball, stuff happens.

Hopefully the Red Sox continue to win, should be some exciting baseball ahead.

• Options
    I was gonna add the champagne celebration in my post, but since Craig44 did so...I agree, total waste of champagne and IMO totally contrived. The team had to still be stinging from the WO by Texiera.

Much like the walk off wins, be it the first game of the season or a meaningless win, they all go crazy, crazy at home plate. It's just a silly thing they do...haven't players in the past gotten injured doing all this home plate celebration?

And the champagne blasted into your faced does sting a bit, so what's the point...it's like a rite of passage, de riguer to do such nonsense, fashion, tradition, whatever. Pretty silly to me.
  • Options
    Some players don't get to the playoffs, might as well enjoy it when you can

How about that rope by Ortiz!
  • Options
    I'm just glad they wear goggles during the celebration, baseball players are the biggest wimps as it is so no need for someone to get an eyelash injury and be put on the DL. Very happy they are in regardless of how it happened
  • Options
    Can we vote kimbrel off the playoff roster? He has sucked
  • Options
    Now we know why he keeps getting traded.
  • Options
    remember the month when the bullpen didn't suck?
  • Options
    Was able to catch the game on TBS, which showed slices of the Ortiz sendoff...what I saw was nice, but then again, not that much. I'm sure the hour long event was much more enjoyable.

So, the Jays win a slot for a one game playoff against the Orioles...good for them. The Red Sox had more than ample opportunity to win the game, but the clutch hitting just didn't happen. More silliness and lots of wasted champagne...I guess it means something to them, looks just stupid to me...we'll see if they celebrate Tuesday night, though they do have home field.

Not a good day for New England sports. Didn't see that game either, but 16-0 sounds pretty lame, given the past performance of 3-0. As an Atlantan (80 miles away), looks like they were spoilers today, beating Detroit and the Jags...I pay no attention to either team, especially the Braves, the lameness of the never ending tomahawk chop is just a bit too much to bear. Not one fan could explain the infield fly rule...I must say however the scenery is rather extraordinary.

The only good thing is Tom Brady is out of jail.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MCMLVTopps

Was able to catch the game on TBS, which showed slices of the Ortiz sendoff...what I saw was nice, but then again, not that much. I'm sure the hour long event was much more enjoyable.

So, the Jays win a slot for a one game playoff against the Orioles...good for them. The Red Sox had more than ample opportunity to win the game, but the clutch hitting just didn't happen. More silliness and lots of wasted champagne...I guess it means something to them, looks just stupid to me...we'll see if they celebrate Tuesday night, though they do have home field.

Not a good day for New England sports. Didn't see that game either, but 16-0 sounds pretty lame, given the past performance of 3-0. As an Atlantan (80 miles away), looks like they were spoilers today, beating Detroit and the Jags...I pay no attention to either team, especially the Braves, the lameness of the never ending tomahawk chop is just a bit too much to bear. Not one fan could explain the infield fly rule...I must say however the scenery is rather extraordinary.

The only good thing is Tom Brady is out of jail.

correction, the Sox DO NOT have home field. If they had won today, it would have forced Cleveland to play a makeup game against Detroit on Monday to decide home field. The Sox loss and the Indians' win decided home field without making Cleveland play game 162. They did it in 2004 "on the road"

• Options
    Correction to your correction.

Re read the post, I was talking about the Toronto Blue Jays having the home field against the Orioles Tuesday night...nothing about the Red Sox.

How did you misinterpret that??
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MCMLVTopps

Correction to your correction.

Re read the post, I was talking about the Toronto Blue Jays having the home field against the Orioles Tuesday night...nothing about the Red Sox.

How did you misinterpret that??

. The Red Sox had more than ample opportunity to win the game, but the clutch hitting just didn't happen. More silliness and lots of wasted champagne...I guess it means something to them, looks just stupid to me...we'll see if they celebrate Tuesday night, though they do have home field.

• Options
    Barndog...

That you want to continue this is pretty silly...who was spraying the champagne??? THE BLUEJAYS...who is playing Tuesday night??? THE BLUEJAYS Who has home field advantage Tuesday night??? THE BLUEJAYS

Maybe your grammar isn't so strong, did you miss the PERIOD after "didn't happen"??

The whole friggin universe (expect maybe YOU) knows the Red Sox are playing THURSDAY.

Geez dude, a simple, "oops" would have worked, but now you're just looking foolish.

• Options
    wow, you are a "richard" -- you asked me what gave me the idea.

Another person done with this thread.
  • Options
    I have no clue what a "Richard" is, but I'm 100% sure it's not a compliment to me. Name calling is beyond childish, and always used to lash out like an unstable person who is incapable of calm dialog.

So, now that you've gotten into the gutter of name calling, and are unable to realize that you misinterpreted a very innocuous post, I for one won't miss you.

Get some help for your anger issues.

• Options
    Well, game one didn't go so well

• Options
    Nope
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that depends on your perspective, I thought it went pretty much as I had hoped. I figured that if the Indians could get to the 7th inning ahead or close that they'd be OK, I just didn't expect that Francona would put Miller on the mound in the fifth. it worked out OK, though. some might say he "lost" game two because the 'pen is depleted but I don't see it that way. he'll probably lean on Otero(who has been lights out for the season) with McCallister as a backup. the rest of the guys will be match-ups with Bryan Shaw available for a few batters. I expect him to rest Miller and Allen but wouldn't be surprised if he called on either for one batter.

the Red Sox batters will probably sit on a lot of Kluber's pitches today since they had little success with curve balls last night, the problem for them will be that he pounds the strike zone and has a good slider. if they wind up down in the count we might see another 10-K outing by him.

one thing is for sure, I don't expect to see six solo HR's again today, that was ridiculous. I think Porcello was in shock after the third inning but he recovered well. one thing many fans forget about the playoffs --- it's a short series, seasonal trends don't always hold true and things can turn fast. Boston can come out fresh and win things in the next three games or they can lose and hope to relax at home and force game five. the Indians will no doubt want to win today so they don't have to win a game in Fenway which can be very, very hard. whatever the outcome it would seem to me that IF a game five is played the advantage would probably be to Cleveland and the script similar to last night.

going over the game in my head the two Teams are really about as close as their season records indicate. if I compare the stats and review the important plays it almost seems like I'm seeing double. my hunch based on only one game is that the AL Champion will be one of these two Teams.
  • Options
    Not Porcello's best day.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I'd like to see them go all the way , if they don't I'm hoping for enough mistakes from farrell to ensure he is fired in the off season
  • Options
    Hard to believe so much talent could go so cold so quickly.

Not likely the Red Sox can pull off 3 in a row. I'd like to be wrong.

If they're toast, it's go Cubs for me.
  • Options
    Pitboss...

There's a documentary on Chaco Canyon Monday night 8PM Eastern.

If you have Directv, it's on channel 570, Smithsonian channel.

Thought you'd like to know.
  • Options
    being up 2-0 is one thing, but beating the Red Sox the way they have in the two games has got to have the Team worried, not to say how it has the fans sort of tense. Boston seems to be on the ropes, I think they have lost seven of eight going back in the regular season. when was the last time they struggled like this at the plate and struck out so much in two consecutive games?? I think Sunday will be interesting with the clear advantage being how Terry Francona uses his bullpen and his bench.

Josh Tomlin had been pitching nicely through the season until the end of July/early August when he seemed to hit a speed-bump and got moved to the 'pen. they probably worked on some mechanics and the last couple of times he pitched he was effective again. he has only about an 89mph fastball, so that means he depends on location, movement and throwing the right pitch at the right time. I would think Francona will be wanting to win on Sunday and close things out, so that means a short leash for Tomlin and an "all hands on deck" approach from the relievers. thanks to Kluber pitching into the 8th everyone should be rested.

I really think the key to game three will be the Indians hitters. if they can score to keep the crowd down a little and stay with the Red Sox who are bound to do something eventually, it will be fun. I know the old line about these guys being professionals and they don't get too tight, but I think that could be Boston. the pressure is definitely on them at home.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The announcers would like to give the MVP award to Ortiz before the games start. Not going to happen.
  • Options
    Hate to be Debbie downer, but I think it's over. Bats went cold.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Hmm. Last time Cleveland had a 2 game playoff lead on Boston, the Sox won the whole enchilada. And the time before that, Cleveland had a 2 game lead on them and coughed that up, too.

This is the beauty of playoff baseball.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: craig44
    Hate to be Debbie downer, but I think it's over. Bats went cold.

Bats went cold? image

David price highest paid creampuff in baseball history.

Usually I find myself angry at Farrell's terrible in game managing but I don't blame him for these 2 games I still want him fired on general principles though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: travis t
    Hmm. Last time Cleveland had a 2 game playoff lead on Boston, the Sox won the whole enchilada. And the time before that, Cleveland had a 2 game lead on them and coughed that up, too.

This is the beauty of playoff baseball.

Start Pedro in game 3 ? nope he is on AR (aged reserve) , maybe give Derek Lowe a call ? Nope no Derek ...... well put Clay in he is as good as those two image

we do have a Ramirez we can run at the mound
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    As much as any player, manager, executive, fan or unexplained phenomenon, Fenway Park can and will have a say before this ends. There is no way around the concept of saying that if the Indians win Game 3, well they were just better. Terry Francona knows as well as anyone how important it is to prevent the Red Sox from grabbing an emotional edge. If the snowball starts rolling, look out.

I've seen enough baseball to know this series is far from over.
  • Options
    Fenway Park can and will have a say before this ends

I accept that a ball-field can influence some of what happens during a game, but it "works" for both Teams. for the Red Sox sake, it would be better if the players have something to say about the outcome but thus far they haven't. things may change but the results of the first two games have been similar with the Boston batters unable to hit a breaking ball.
  • Options
    Today's rainout was a good thing, hopefully it takes away Cleveland's momentum . And yea this series is definitely far from over
  • Options
    what about all the mental preparation that the Boston players had, getting themselves ready to play at home with the season on the line??? I would think that Boston would be more affected by the delay than Cleveland. judging on what I have read the Tribe is loose.

to be honest, I think these things wreak havoc on the fans, especially the ones who had planned to attend the game.
  • Options
    Great Season by the Sox, they will be back
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Every team will be back. We need the Perkies back :wink:

Daniel
  • Options

@perkdog said:

apparently so will Price and farrell , but no Ortiz so I expect the same result

• Options

I thought David Price was gonna pitch again in the playoffs. did he get traded??