Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2016 Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the OPS that belongs to JBJ

So glad the Sox abandoned the easy decision and chose to keep him!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great game today!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Barndog

That's the OPS that belongs to JBJ

So glad the Sox abandoned the easy decision and chose to keep him!
    Go, Jackie, Go.image

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Are the red Sox going to pull away now and how far is Bradley going to go with his hitting streak?

Exciting times at Fenway!
  • Options
    I agree, they are a joy to watch this year. It is great to be excited all day waiting for a regular season game to come on

• Options
    nice to see the Sox get some runs for Wright.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pitboss

Are the red Sox going to pull away now and how far is Bradley going to go with his hitting streak?

Exciting times at Fenway!
    JBJ=57?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    I really doubt if he can do that as some manager or pitcher will just walk him every time he comes up to stop it.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really doubt if he can do that as some manager or pitcher will just walk him every time he comes up to stop it.

I may be wrong, but I think he still needs at least one AB for the streak to end -- if he goes 0 for 0 then it would continue the next game.

Also, if there is no strategic reason to walk JBJ other than to stop the streak, I would think the opposing manager would get roasted. Yeah, he is hitting well, but its not like he's 73-homer Barry Bonds or even current Bryce Harper.
  • Options
    I don't think it will make it all the way to 57, but it is fun to watch. 35 is the team record. That would be cool to see

• Options
    They are retiring Boggs number tonight. Anyone going to the game? I believe he still has the highest career batting average at Fenway at .369.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boggs wearing pinstripes really annoyed me, to the point that I don't even give him much thought when talking about great players over the years on the Red Sox
  • Options
    Originally posted by: craig44
    They are retiring Boggs number tonight. Anyone going to the game? I believe he still has the highest career batting average at Fenway at .369.

About time. He's been in the HOF how many years? And he is wearing a Red Sox hat on his plaque, so you know damn well he would have cherished the 1986 WS (that Schiraldi and Stanley blew) much more than the Yankee one he got in the twilight of his career. He wore his Yankee WS ring last night when they honored the 86 team -- probably because he is pissed off about how long it took to retire #26. I don't recall anyone wearing it recently though, at least not a starter.
  • Options

Good thing this tactic was not done, at least in an obvious manner, to Aaron when he was chasing/breaking Ruths career HR record. No place for collusion in sports,even tho it exists.

• Options
    so when Eduardo Rodriguez makes it back to the team, do the Sox just DFA Suckholtz?

They should
  • Options
    He should not go out on the bus, it should be on a rail with tat and feathers!
  • Options
    Brock Holt wore 26 this season and gave it up

• Options
    Also, boggs wanted to finish his career as a red sox, and apparently Mrs yawkey offered him a 7 year contract after the1991 season. She died in January of 92 and the new regime rescinded the offer. I think they ended up offering a one year deal after 92. I would assume boggs considered that an insult and then went to the highest bidder, which happened to be the Yankees.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to think Bucky's days are numbered. He just isn't the pitcher he once was. Wouldn't be surprised to see him gone...soon!

• Options
    The Wade Boggs you might not have known...from Wikipedia.

Boggs was known for his superstitions. He ate chicken before every game (Jim Rice once called Boggs "chicken man"), woke up at the same time every day, took exactly 117 ground balls in pre-game practice, took batting practice at 5:17 pm, and ran sprints at 7:17 pm, to increase his chances of "going 7-for-7".[clarification needed][11][22] His route to and from his position in the field beat a path to the home dugout. He drew the Hebrew word "Chai", meaning "life", in the batter's box before each at-bat, though he is not Jewish.[23] He asked Fenway Park public address announcer Sherm Feller not to say his uniform number when he introduced him because Boggs once broke out of a slump on a day when Feller forgot to announce his number.[24]

Life outside baseball

The Margo Adams affair and palimony lawsuit

Boggs autographing the book Yankee Stadium at a book signing on September 23, 2008.[25]

Boggs garnered non-baseball related media attention in 1989 for his four-year extramarital affair with Margo Adams, a California mortgage broker. After Boggs ended the relationship in 1988, Adams filed a $12 million lawsuit for emotional distress and breach of oral contract. She argued that Boggs had verbally agreed to compensate her for lost income and services performed while accompanying Boggs on road trips.[26] Boggs' reputation was further sullied when Adams agreed to an interview with Penthouse magazine in which she discussed intimate details of her time with Boggs.[27] While acknowledging the affair, Boggs went on the offensive in order to combat the wave of negative press, denying many of the claims made by Adams. Boggs' rebuttal included an appearance on the ABC program 20/20 in which he presented his side of the story to Barbara Walters.[28] In February 1989, an appeals court threw out $11.5 million of the initial lawsuit, ruling that Adams could not seek compensation for emotional distress.[29] The remaining demand for $500,000 was settled out of court later that year for an undisclosed amount.[30]

Hall of Fame plaque cap logo controversy

Before his retirement, Boggs was plagued by newspaper reports that the expansion Devil Rays gave him financial compensation in return for selecting a Devil Rays cap for his plaque at the Baseball Hall of Fame, though he has denied that any such condition was part of his contract.[31] In light of those reports (and other rumors that teams were offering number retirement, money, or organizational jobs in exchange for the cap designation) the Hall decided in 2001 to change its practice of deferring to players' wishes regarding cap logo selection, and reinforced the Hall's authority to determine with which cap the player would be depicted. Boggs is wearing a Boston cap on his plaque.

Family

Boggs' mother died in June 1986 due to a car accident in Tampa while he was with the Red Sox.[32] Shortly after her death, Boggs and his father bought a fish camp on U.S. 301 just south of Hawthorne, Florida, that they named Finway; his father operated it until shortly before he died.[33] Wade and his wife Debbie have two children, Brett and Meagann.[34]

Wade Boggs was named one of the Top 10 Most Superstitious Athletes by Men's Fitness.[35]

Wrestling

As a baseball player, Boggs made an appearance for the professional wrestling promotion World Wrestling Federation (WWF) in 1988. He appeared in a vignette with wrestler Mr. Perfect (Curt Hennig) in which Perfect played baseball. The two remained good friends afterward and 19 years later in 2007, Boggs inducted the late Perfect into the WWE Hall of Fame. In the DVD The Life and Times of Mr. Perfect, Boggs related how Hennig saved his life, carrying Boggs to help after he had severely cut his leg climbing over a broken barbed wire fence during a hunting trip.[36]

Television

Boggs was one of the baseball players featured in the classic The Simpsons episode "Homer at the Bat", in which he was recruited as a ringer by Mr. Burns for the Power Plant's softball team, only to later be knocked out in a bar fight (over whether Lord Palmerston or Pitt the Elder was the United Kingdom's greatest Prime Minister) by Barney Gumble. Boggs appeared as himself in the episode "Bar Wars" of Cheers, in which he was sent to the bar as an apology by a rival bar. He was accosted by the regulars who thought he was a fake. David Levine revealed in 2009 that Boggs had promised to trade Adams' panties for Kirstie Alley's.[37] In Seinfeld's "The Chaperone", George convinces the Yankees to switch to cotton uniforms, assuring manager Buck Showalter that the Bombers would be "five degrees cooler than the other team." Wade Boggs was quoted as saying: 'What a fabric! Finally we can breathe.'[38]

In 2011, he also appeared in the Psych episode "Dead Man's Curveball". In 2015, Boggs guest starred in the Season 10 premiere of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where characters in the show tried to drink over 70 beers while flying across country: allegedly emulating a feat Boggs once accomplished during his career.[39] Boggs denied that the number of beers was 64, and he reportedly told Charlie Day that he drinks 107 beers a day.[40]

Oil Can Boyd's accusation of racism

Former Red Sox pitcher Oil Can Boyd was on a book tour to promote his new autobiography and was on the Dennis and Callahan show on WEEI, when he claimed that Boggs was a bigot and would call him the n-word every day to his face in the clubhouse.[41] Boggs vehemently disputed the claims, asserting "Absolutely, positively, 100 million percent, I am not a racist. I am not a bigot."[41] Referring to Boyd, who has admitted to frequently using cocaine and marijuana, Boggs noted, "You have a delusional drug addict who let not only his family down, but his team, the city of Boston, Red Sox Nation when it counted most. Now he wants the good people of Boston to go out and spend money on this garbage to support his habit. I find that extremely amusing."
    [41]

• Options
    Down memory lane. I had forgotten most of those little things.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hitting streak ends due to farrell . Why does he feel the need to move him to lead off so he goes 0-4 ?

• Options
    It's a great day!! Suckholtz moved to bullpen as long reliever

• Options
    Hopefully he won't be needed in that position.
  • Options
    They said on pregame show that he is kind of in a holding pattern. They can't send him to the minors and its too early to trade him.

• Options
    Originally posted by: craig44
    It's a great day!! Suckholtz moved to bullpen as long reliever

In my opinion when he gets into a game next hardly anyone will be relieved image

• Options
    Weep not for the Buckster, he's pulling in $7,486,250 for the season, plus one to go. If you care to do the hourly wage thing vs. us mere mortals, you will get sick!

Compare Bucky's coin intake to this...

2016 salaries

Vasquez, $513k

Shaw, $515k

JBJ, $545 JBJ !!!

Betts, $566

Holt, $606

Xander, $650

I think that comes to $3.395m for the 6 studs, just about half what they're paying the new resident of the bullpen.

Said it time and time again...paying guaranteed up front $$ for an expected future performance is a fool's game. Witness El Sapo, who is laughing all the way to the bank, in a Rolls Royce. There are untold countless examples of players not even remotely living up to expectation of their provided salaries. The crazy part is when it's touted as player X makes $$$$ (per year)...not so, they only play 6 months out of the year...playoff stuff garners more coin.

On a more somber note...Memorial Day weekend is upon us. Never forget those we once knew that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

To my fellow Vietnam brothers...welcome home !!!

1st Infantry Division, 1969-1970

Lai Khe, Can Tho, Dian, Bien Hoa, Saigon

Some gave all, all gave some

• Options
    That was the worst played game I have seen this year.
  • Options
    Vasquez makes a dumb throw.

But as I predicted, the HanRam would choke in a key moment.

Worst loss of the year, given Ortiz's homer in the 9th to go one up.
  • Options
    I agree mcmlv, it is far too hard to accurately project future performance. Most free agents are disappointments. Suckholtz certainly is and he wasn't even a free agent

• Options
    I can give Hanley a mulligan on that one as he has been pretty good at 1st base but I can not do the same for the pitching staff as mostly they suck big time.
  • Options
    salvaged one today. And Suckholtz got the win. He still sucks
  • Options
    We still have a 1 game lead, lets go sox beat the orioles today.
  • Options
    Good game today!
    If Wright could stop the walks completely other teams would not score any runs because his knuckleball is un-hittable as well as un-catchable by his own catcher.
    It has the most severe movement that I have ever seen.
  • Options
    Eduardo Rodriguez is back! Well-pitched. Betts had a decent game too... image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Barndog
    Eduardo Rodriguez is back! Well-pitched. Betts had a decent game too... image

I was SO disappointed he grounded out on his 4th at bat!!

• Options
    Suckholtz, oh suckholtz. How I hate thee.

• Options
    Bucky looked like his dog died when seen sitting in the dugout after getting pulled.

No doubt Dombrowski is trying to figure this one out...I suspect a trade is in the offering. If Bucky can't even fill the roll as a number (way back) go to guy in the pen, that will seal his fate.

I suspect there's enough gas in the Timlin bus for another pickup.

Crazy error on Pedy, 99% of the time he makes that with ease...the glove just didn't go down, plain and simple. Stuff happens.

Team still looking pretty darn good, surprised me!!

Betts is crazy hot...good for him. Nice to see Swihart blending into LF.
  • Options
    Trade is the only solution for suckholtz. They can't send him down and won't cut him.

• Options
    I hope there is room on that bus for Tazawa.
  • Options
    seven home runs served up by Sox pitching. SEVEN. 7.

• Options
    The pitching is their big downfall for sure.
  • Options
    I suspect Dombrowski has something cooking. With the overall performance of the team (sans pitching), I think some trading is in the wind and not too far away. Can't keep blowing big production and have the pitcher collapse. Adios Bucky, Timlin is just making room for Tazawa, so be a bit more patient, but do pack a bag. PS Buck, dump the doofus haircut.

Oh, El Sapo says "hey", I'm doin' real good in my rehab, with any luck I might make it to Spring Training by next year, I gotta heal up and get in good playin' shape to help my compadres next year. Don't tell anyone, but I really hurt my shoulder lifting a big (like uber grande) box of Benjamins into my Maybach. Muchas gracias for all the well wishes and cards, I love it when Jerry does the buenas noches thing, I feel like he's sending me a little love from the booth. Miss you mi amigos, hasta luego. Sapo.

As the official Sapo man, I have decided to up Sapo's persona a bit, he will now be referred to as Senor Sapo Grande. For those challenged in French, that would be Mr. Big Toad.

Have a great weekend everybody...man oh man, it is uber-hot in Atlanta!!! I feel for those that don't have A/C. Super bummer.
  • Options

The Sox are hitting great but that has to taper off , will pitching improve to offset that? I don't think so I see a lot of downside going forward
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

The Sox are hitting great but that has to taper off , will pitching improve to offset that? I don't think so I see a lot of downside going forward
    I think that is the reality of the situation for sure.

• Options
    Well, I'll say this for Bucky...he has a very attractive wife...good on ya Buck!
  • Options
  • Options
    GO SOX!!! Felt good to type that, I haven't done that in a long time. I like this team and they have sparked my interest a bit, the pitching brings my interest back to the ground though
  • Options
    What pitching?
  • Options

What pitching?

Wright