Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which would you prefer? AU 55 Gold or 58 Green bean

I may very well be counting my chickens before they hatch but I have yet to send a 1796 quarter for a CAC review that I believe stands a good chance of meriting a Gold bean. I once brought it to a major show and the five dealers I showed it to (all 5 are well accustomed to the early type market and trade in such) felt it was a no question 58.<br

Went to the show with intension to resubmit but after getting their opinions felt it may well be a waste of money since my experience with auctions is that coins sell for their real value and it will probably be my heirs who sell it anyways.<br

So, if I was fortunate to get that gold bean, would you leave it in that older holder or a new holder that might just as easily merit a green bean.<br

I once posted it on the forum (however poor photos) but now can't find the thread

Comments

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um, yeah, I'd say you're counting chickens before they hatch.

Did you acquire the coin recently? If so, there's an excellent chance the coin was already seen and rejected by CAC. Nobody is going to sell a $50-60k coin without first trying to get a bean on it. I'd be over-the-moon excited to have any 1796 quarter, let alone one in mid-AU range. I just read today (IIRC) that CAC has seen something like 700,000 coins and given out fewer than 3,000 gold stickers. That's less than 1/2 of 1 percent.

But, to answer your question, I'd prefer the coin to be in a holder that I thought was graded correctly, with a green bean. I sorta like it when the experts all agree. Others will have different opinions.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold sticker
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did any of the dealers offer to buy your coin, as is, for 58 money?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    58 green

a bird in the hand
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no basis for answering the question without a least a picture. The idea that coin is an AU-58 in an AU-55 holder is at the moment only speculation.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an 1810 Cl*****ic head large cent that is gold cac pcgs 55, easily a 62bn today. I prefer it like it is. (again, have had several ace graders look at the coin, and they all confer)
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MANOFCOINS
    I think he just wants his hypothetical question answered. 58 green vrs 55 gold.

From that perspective, the 55 gold would be the choice. I don't know if the coins really sold at those prices, but at the shows I've seen gold beaned coins priced at levels that were even high than the price would be if the coin were in a holder with a grade one or two levels higher. I makes not sense to me, but I guess speculative up-grades encourage even more speculative prices.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Green bean anytime.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gimme the gold!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes no difference to me since I would not be selling the coin. Once in my collection,

they stay. Cheers, RickO
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real answer as always is that it depends first on the coin and then the series.

On a 1796 25c with either a green sticker or a gold sticker that coin is going to be a monster beauty in any grade.

At the last Baltimore show I only was able to glance at a 1796 pcgs ms62 ogh CAC that went through a dealers hands and the coin looked beautiful.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For this particular coin there is a relatively small spread between AU55 and AU58. As such, your liquidity might actually increase without losing much, if anything, by having it go AU55 gold CAC sticker vs. AU58 green CAC sticker. Of course, this is all hypothetical.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    55 gold, hands down, no question.
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    55 Gold for sure. Given what I've seen of the coins you've posted, most are in old holders. Old holder + gold CAC is likely the easiest coin to sell, trade etc.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I wanted to only hold it for a short while and SELL IT....AU55 with Gold Bean

You will notice that multiple DEALERS/EX-DEALERS in this thread chose this option.

If I wanted to keep the coin to enjoy and possibly put it in a Registry Set....

properly graded by today's standards with Green Bean would suit me just fine.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like pinto's in my chili.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very few people i talk to believe this is true, but i do: a gold beaned coin has to be more than just a grade or two higher. the coin usually has special eye appeal to get that gold bean. so, without seeing either coin, i would guess the one with the gold bean is probably the one i would rather have.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold bean. It makes the coin feel more fresh and tends to allow for the imagination to wander for a potential buyer.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MidLifeCrisis
    Gold sticker

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    55 GOLD
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would need to see a pic, but in terms of valuation most likely would want the coin that says AU58 on the holder. I don't go by beans, I go by the grade on the holder in making an offer, etc. People have been speculating about how this or that coin should be a higher grade than the grade on the holder since the advent of certified coin grading. That the bean machine wants to enter the fray so what? Its like an attorney arguing a case. The proof in the pudding is the verdict (judgement) which is the TPG oponion if the coin were to be re-submitted.

I witnessed a guy showing his gold bean coin at a show to Bob (not his real name) from my coin club (set up next to me) that "its really a (higher grade)." Bob simply laughed and asked "Why are we having this conversation, why have you not sent it in (to get the higher grade).?"
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't care about the sticker but would prefer the older holder.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take the one that looks better in my hand.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold without batting an eye. Everyday of the week and twice on Sunday

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sorta like it when the experts all agree.

mr1874 concurs.The OP'S 1796 quarter sounds like a Choice About Uncirculated specimen to me.That's what my Coin World holder would say on the label,"Choice About Uncirculated."

Anyway BIGAL,I hope you get the gold bean you want.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't want to spoil the party, but my primary concern is that any coin I buy I believe to be nice for the grade, and that I agree with the grade on the holder. In what I collect, I have seen so much inconsistency with respect to CAC stickers, that I would not pay a premium for any of them.

This isn't to say that I avoid stickered coins, it's just that based on what I have seen, I won't pay any premium for them.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    I realize that I'm certainly speculating on getting a gold as I know standards have changed since 2001 or 2002 (year that John Feigenbaum won the grading contest at the show) when I showed it at the show.
    The other 4 dealers were also very knowable professional but again standards have changed for all of us..
    I don't believe Harry Laibstain or Stu Levine are forum members but wonder if Don Willis or David Wnuch on the forum can remember the coin.
    DaveW did suggest to leave it in the holder since many times dealers at auctions could go nuts with under graded coins in earlier holders.
    Holder isn't that old but at least a pre '98 since I bought it then.

I did post pictures of it in an earlier thread that I can't find now but those are very poor like most of my pics.
    How do I find old threads and link them?

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Either so long as I like the coin.
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    55 Gold! Hopefully I find the coin and then get gold on it by sending it in rather than buying it with the gold sticker on it.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting what this has all come down to. Certainly not the coin these days. Only what you can sell it for, who else likes it besides the owner of a coin, who will like it besides the owner. Which is worth more etc. Not if we like a coin, we have to be sure others will like it, or forget it. And especially if it's in a OGH or Fatty L@@k. OK, y'all can give me some more terrible ratings like ya have been!imageimage
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • I'd love to see a picture so I can possibly trace its pedigree....
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold CAC is (insert your number figure here) more rare than the Green Beans, at least as far as I have seen. I would choose AU55 Gold CAC.

Speaking of Gold CAC, my relabeling (AU58 Gold CAC) and some new to CAC coins should be coming back any day now.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file