Release date: Jan 14, 2016 @ Noon Eastern

Mintage:
100K $5 Gold
350K $1 Silver

Silver Pricing has been posted to the Federal Register:
Coin Introductory price Regular price
Silver Proof $45.95 $50.95
Silver Uncirculated 44.95 49.95
Gold will be priced as per the standard $5 Gold Commem schedule at time of release.

--(original message follows)--
Goodness. I like both coins. I would buy both gold over the Pt proof, I think...

$1 Silver:

$5 Gold:

Mint's Press Release:
Mark Twain Commemorative Coin Designs Unveiled

Mintage:
100K Gold
350K Silver

No household limits or release dates announced.

Comments

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I've often said about mint drawings to show what a coin will look like,

it may be fine on paper with shading, but how it translates into metal may be significantly different
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's going to be one busy dollar coin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Can't wait for these to be available. Wonder when they'll be on sale.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has Obama seen this? He would be outraged. I see tabbacco and the burning of fossile fuels being glamorized. I'll have to stop into Starbucks to talk to my local progressive folks about taking action on this.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark Twain is probably laughing at the coin's motto "In God We Trust".

At least this one is not another military issue, although he was in the Confederate army for two weeks.

Mark Twain has been on a United States "coin" before, a 1981 one ounce gold medal:

American Arts Commemorative Series 1981 medal - Mark Twain

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way too busy reverse, get rid of the knight .... super ugly.

I'm definitely going to buy these.

When I first saw the design for the dollar, I thought that the "knight" was Joan of Arc,

because Mark Twain spent ten years researching her and published a book in 1895.

However, the knight is from his novel "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court".

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Great designs for a great American writer!

I like Don Everhart's portrait on the $5 piece. I've seen his plaster work-in-progress, and it's very impressive. I think it will make a neat little gold coin.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think I'll p*****, maybe next time.

The word I was trying to type starts with P, then an A, then S and another S.
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just thinking the other day we didn't have enough frogs on our coins but now I see it's been taken care of.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them both, too, but especially the $5 piece with the steamboat.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't bought a coin directly from the Mint since the 1970s but the Twain dollar looks cool. Clemens spend some time here in Buffalo and is buried in Elmira, NY. Just a simple grave stone on the grave.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always struck by the similarities in both appearance and style between Twain and Kurt Vonnegut, Junior. It's almost like Vonnegut was a reincarnation in many ways.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I stopped buying silver commems years ago. I already have about 40 different ones.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I multiply the mintage by the price, and think about what that amount of money, multiplied by all the other modern mint products and privately minted items churned out every year, would do if invested in the market for old rare coins, it really puts things in perspective. There is apparently no end to the things that will be commemorated on coins and metals out into the infinite future. Nothing against Mark Twain in particular, but once again, I'll pass.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I teach high school English and our core novel for the junior cl*****es is "Huck Finn" I also have the kids study Twain as a man (starting with sections of Ken Burns' documentary). Up to this point, I have distributed a couple period Liberty $20s so the kids can feel and see the pair or $20s that are put on the board in the river by the bounty hunters . . . and I p***** out contemporary change so they can see half cents, large cents, etc. that were circulating at that time.

I will buy one of these . . . just so the students can see that I am not the only one who has found value and significance in Twain. It'll make a nice handout (in an AirTite!).

Drunner
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What no Half Dollar?

How does the Mint deceide wether to strike a half dollar or not?

GrandAm :)
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice designs.... I like the $5 gold coin... would prefer to see it on a larger coin though.

Cheers, RickO
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LanLord
    As I've often said about mint drawings to show what a coin will look like,
    it may be fine on paper with shading, but how it translates into metal may be significantly different

While I agree, there have been a couple of surprises, such as the Blue Ridge quarter and the 2015 Au Liberty HR. I was unimpressed with the line art, but thought the actual execution looked much better.

The silver might be a bit busy in-hand, but I think the gold will translate well.

Originally posted by: ricko
    Nice designs.... I like the $5 gold coin... would prefer to see it on a larger coin though.
    Cheers, RickO

Yeah, put it on a 5oz Ag puck or even a 3" bronze. (I have a romanticized vision of paddleboats on the Mississippi. So what if the boilers blew up...)
    The mint released the 2016 Mark Twain hi-rez images on their images page today...

(images deleted, moved to top post...)

Still no 2016 product schedule posted...
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    What is he smoking that Huck Finn comes out of his pipe?
  • brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    Imagine what will be the budget for next year (2016) mint products.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Samuel Clemens buys one, it wouldn't surprise me.
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    What is he smoking that Huck Finn comes out of his pipe?

It was Samuel Clemens. His reputation would dictate it wasn't tobacco.

HAhahahaha....
    Bump for updates in message 1...
  • Originally posted by: GRANDAM
    What no Half Dollar?

The legislation that goes through Congress and is signed into law by the president determines the specifics of a new coin program... which denominations are to be struck, metal content, maximum mintages, dhow the designs are to be selected, etc.

The Mint simply follows the law...
    Robert
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: USMarine6

I was just thinking the other day we didn't have enough frogs on our coins but now I see it's been taken care of.

Too funny.

But after a quick search, I'm thinking of starting a collection. image

http://www.collectorscornerusa...ized/nature/frogs.html

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: GRANDAM
    What no Half Dollar?

I think Congress decides if there will be a half dollar. It's too bad there isn't one. The half dollar is more affordable for young collectors, and it also is used in the young collectors' sets.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the design looks promising, it just does not have that look. As an example to illustrate my point, look at the Illinois commem portrait of Lincoln and then look at this. The craftsmanship is missing as is the relief which makes the coin.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Twain looks a bit cartoonish in both depictions but like the riverboat; the rev. of the dollar is just to busy and distracting IMO.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    What no Half Dollar?

The Mint doesn't decide, Congress does.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: WillieBoyd2

Mark Twain is probably laughing at the coin's motto "In God We Trust".

At least this one is not another military issue, although he was in the Confederate army for two weeks.

Mark Twain has been on a United States "coin" before, a 1981 one ounce gold medal:

American Arts Commemorative Series 1981 medal - Mark Twain

Nice issue but with a mintage of 116,371 1981 medals, I'm sure the coin will have a much lower mintage.
    Originally posted by: Hydrant

...who would have ever thought that the new trend in coin design would be frogs?

I'm guessing this design theme isn't a big hit in France.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will get the silver ones already graded PR70 & MS70 for both 2016 commem issues to finish my box of 20 commems and that will be all.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    Originally posted by: FaberCastell
    What no Half Dollar?

The legislation that goes through Congress and is signed into law by the president determines the specifics of a new coin program... which denominations are to be struck, metal content, maximum mintages, dhow the designs are to be selected, etc.

The Mint simply follows the law...

I can't remember the last time the mint offered two clad commens in the same year. I don't think they issued any in 2010 or 2012. In 2011, Army got one, but MoH did not. 2013, 5-star generals got one, but Girl Scouts did not. 2014, BBHoF got one, but Civil Rights did not. Last year, Marshalls got a clad, but MoD did not.

Seems the mint is pressing out a full set of commems for one issue, and only the silver or silver/gold commems for the alternate yearly issue.
    Originally posted by: COCollector
    Originally posted by: USMarine6

Too funny.

But after a quick search, I'm thinking of starting a collection. image

[images deleted]

You can add the clad version of the NPS commem to your list... image

I suspect some sort of Kermit Konspiracy...
    "In Frog We Trust"?

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

One week! Mint finally has pages and pics up.

$5 Gold Proof: Mark Twain 2016 $5 Gold Proof Coin (16CH)

$5 Gold Uncirc: Mark Twain 2016 $5 Gold Uncirculated Coin (16CJ)

$1 Silver Proof: Mark Twain 2016 Proof Silver Dollar (16CK)

$1 Silver Uncirc: Mark Twain 2016 Uncirculated Silver Dollar (16CL)

Gold mintage: 100K

Silver mintage: 350K

Product Limit: None

Household Order Limit: None

Not appreciating China driving up the price of gold. If gold stays above $1100, the proof will be $381.15, the uncirc will be $376.15. (If the weekly average falls below $1100, the prices will be $369.00 and $364.00 respectively.)

Introductory price for the silver proof will be $45.95, the uncirc will be $44.95. (Wasn't the price spread between the proof and uncirc more than a dollar previously?)
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I have no plans for any coins from this program. Thanks Mint for helping me break my bad buying habits.

Horrible Coins are sometimes a very good thing for "Collectors".
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a big time Twain fan, so I may pull the trigger. I hope it's a flop so I'm not tempted to sell them. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
    In a surprise move, the mint has pushed back the release of the silver coins (16CL and 16CK) two weeks to January 27, to insure there's enough product to handle the launch of the commems.

That means they get to ding you on shipping twice, should you not want to wait.

Better to to this than have some cluster- next Thursday, I guess...
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie

In a surprise move, the mint has pushed back the release of the silver coins (16CL and 16CK) two weeks to January 27, to insure there's enough product to handle the launch of the commems.

Now the Silver is missing from the schedule. Mint page for the dollar says

"This product will be available for sale in 2016." Mint News Blog says release is "To Be Determined"

It could be 2 weeks, could be next month or December. The mint's mind is a hard thing to read.

Originally posted by: Kudbegud

"This product will be available for sale in 2016." Mint News Blog says release is "To Be Determined"

It could be 2 weeks, could be next month or December. The mint's mind is a hard thing to read.

Maybe it depends on sales of the Gold versions -- which will be released 1/14/2016 at noon (ET).

Originally posted by: Kudbegud

Maybe it depends on sales of the Gold versions -- which will be released 1/14/2016 at noon (ET).

Production is mandated by congress critters. The mint will have to release them regardless.

Makes me wonder if they found an error on the coins or packaging for them to have yanked them from the product schedule so close to release.

So far, average gold price is still higher than $1100. How fast will they sell the 100K? (Maybe 60-65K proofs and 35-40K uncircs?) It might be a gamble to wait a week to see if the gold price comes down if the gold spot average stays above $1100.

I'd wait, but the bbhof gold caught me by surprise...
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭

The mint will only charge you once even if they have to ship your items twice.
    Originally posted by: pf70collector

The mint will only charge you once even if they have to ship your items twice.

True, there is only one shipping charge for an order with multiple items shipping as multiple times. However, if you purchase the gold Thursday and the silver when its released in the future there would be a new shipping charge for the silver order. This isn't a major factor in the buying decision for me or a factor to the mint.

I think this separation of gold and silver coins is due to a glitch discovered by the mint as surmised by others. The glitch could be reveled after Thursdays gold debut along with an estimated availability date.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any update on when the silver dollar will be out, and why they are at different dates?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Any update on when the silver dollar will be out, and why they are at different dates?

I called the Mint a few hours ago. No news on a release date for the silver dollar.

The gold is still scheduled for this Thursday 1/14/2016.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: CaptHenway

I called the Mint a few hours ago. No news on a release date for the silver dollar.

The gold is still scheduled for this Thursday 1/14/2016.

Thx.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Coin Update published this explanation: LINK

" ...the Mint has to print and process new certificates before it can move ahead with the release"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file