Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Mark Twain Commems (16CL, 16CK, 16CJ, 16CH) -- Final

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supposedly the delay in the release of the silver dollar coins is to print new certificates of authenticity (COAs) as the old ones have a mistake placing Twain's characters Huckleberry Finn and Jim in his book The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, instead of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Sounds as good a reason as any.

Source:

http://news.coinupdate.com/del...silver-coins-explained

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Kudbegud

Coin Update published this explanation: LINK

" ...the Mint has to print and process new certificates before it can move ahead with the release"

What pudding heads!!!!

LOL!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Was there any plausible reason announced for why Congress, in its infinite wisdom, chose the year 2016 for these coins instead of some other random year?

May we assume that it was just a year that didn't have anything hot going for it with the current two programs a year limit?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What pudding heads!!!!

LOL!

What flavor puddin? Mint of course

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin Update published this explanation: LINK

" ...the Mint has to print and process new certificates before it can move ahead with the release"

Good link, thanks.

I don't usually read the certificates. But this time I will... maybe they'll mistakenly use the wrong certificates.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    PRICES UP

Proof Gold $364

Unc Gold $359

LINK

• Options

What pudding heads!!!!

LOL!

What flavor puddin? Mint of course

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudd%27nhead_Wilson
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Was there any plausible reason announced for why Congress, in its infinite wisdom, chose the year 2016 for these coins instead of some other random year?

May we assume that it was just a year that didn't have anything hot going for it with the current two programs a year limit?

Anybody?

Class?

Bueller?
  • Options
    Thanks for posting the info. Gold looks nice.
  • Options
    USM038853xx

One of each

0 trouble or delay

edit to add: email received @ 4 minutes after the hour.

Wish all opening availability at the Mint went this smooth

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In and out!

One proof, one uncirc.

USM038854xx

Edit to add: Got order ack already.
  • Options
    can`t order the silver ?

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not followed this one closely. No HH limits, large possible mintage. Is there any reason to expect that these will do well or do you all just like the coin and are ordering for that reason?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CoinMaster1229

can`t order the silver ?

Check above posts or HERE

• Options
    Originally posted by: Raufus

I've not followed this one closely. No HH limits, large possible mintage. Is there any reason to expect that these will do well or do you all just like the coin and are ordering for that reason?

Like the coin. 100k limit between PF & UNC so expecting the usual 2/3 PF, 1/3 UNC give or take. May not hit the max mintage.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Raufus

I like the coin. First commem in years that I've liked the design.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CoinMaster1229
    can`t order the silver ?

Check above posts or HERE

What a pain! Now I'll have to pay two shipping charnges. It's also too bad that the mint is not offering a two piece set. I prefer those to the single coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I was hoping for a 2 coin set also. Presents so much better than 2 single coins. The option should have been available.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Not buying this issue,

EOY (end of year)

Still available.

MHO
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry folks - I bought one of each $5 gold so it will be a flop

Maybe I'll keep it with my $5 US Marshimageall coin nobody will pay melt for.

• Options
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Last word goes to you.
  • Options
    Wait until the silver is available and order both the silver and the gold then. No double shipping charge.
  • Options
    GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I feel your pain on this one.
  • Options
    My order still hasn't shipped. What's wrong with the Mint? image

Proof is "currently unavailable". (They're not even taking orders.) I wonder how many they pre-struck? 20K?
  • Options

lol.

The last gold commem I bought was the bbhof. Before that, I can't remember the last one I bought. Bald Eagle, probably.

I haven't been enamored with commemorative gold.
  • Options

Anybody?
    Class?
    Bueller?

I actually looked this one up.

The bill was originally introduced in 2008, for a 2010 release, but failed to get passed. So it was supposed to be a centennial release, but the Boy Scouts got their centennial commem instead in 2010.

Rather than let it die, you just need to follow the money. It was re-introduced in April 2012 by John Larson (CT) and cosponsored by Barbara Lee (CA), Blaine Luetkemeyer (MO) and Eric Massa (NY). Where is the surcharge dollars going?

Connecticut, California, Missouri and New York.

Here is the law as it currently stands:

PUBLIC LAW 112–201—DEC. 4, 2012
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie

My order still hasn't shipped. What's wrong with the Mint? image

Proof is "currently unavailable". (They're not even taking orders.) I wonder how many they pre-struck? 20K?

28 available now...they are probably striking as needed....

• Options
    Thanks, Backroad Junkie!
  • Options
    Email notice my order has shipped

• Options
    I placed an order for the gold $5 uncirculated on January 15 at 12:00pm PST.

I did not want to order the proof version but I did see that the Mint webpage shows unavailable for it.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Email notice my order has shipped

What he said.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: WillieBoyd2
    I placed an order for the gold $5 uncirculated on January 15 at 12:00pm PST.

I did not want to order the proof version but I did see that the Mint webpage shows unavailable for it.

The proof version is available again, but on a back order basis with a March 15 fill date.

That means they'll probably be available next week... ;-)
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    March 15th, wow. Even though i think first strike is stupid, fs for this coin might fetch a nice premium if the mint doesnt get these out for 2 months.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OperationButter
    March 15th, wow. Even though i think first strike is stupid, fs for this coin might fetch a nice premium if the mint doesnt get these out for 2 months.

Well, let's add fuel to the fire! image mintnewsblog.com reports:

Update 1/15/2016: Approximately 5,000 Proof and 2,000 Uncirculated 2016 Mark Twain commemorative gold coins have been sold at the time of this writing (3:15 p.m.), according to Michael White of the U.S. Mint.

If the mint only stamped out 5K proofs and (I assume, and you know what that means) only 5K uncircs, then you are certainly correct, the first strike/early release labels might be worthwhile.

These were going to go into my collection raw, but if by week 3 the mint hasn't released more gold, then I may send mine in.

Ah, what a silly game this is. HAhahahaha...
  • Options
    This certainly wasn't anticipated. I could tell from the lack of order number posts that this isn't a super popular pair of coins. Maybe the delay of the silver coins affected sales. Maybe the lack of a gold and silver 2 coin set option.

It appears the Mint wasn't all in either with only 5,000 proofs in stock and ready at the opening bell. What about the Mint statement that their goal was to have sufficient stock on hand to satisfy demand. Apparently not. Kinda the opposite. A lack of enthusiasm more like it. Can we expect the Uncirculated version to also go on back order in the next day or two?

I hadn't thought about FS on these or even grading. BackroadJunkie mentions an interesting plan which I may follow. When they arrive early next week I'll have to put on my super critical spectacles and take a long look for 70 quality.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're already selling on ebay. Cheapest is $445.

Or who can resist an uncirculated MS-69 for only $645: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-W...0d3:g:8L4AAOSwwPhWjmhB

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Just idly speculating, but I wonder if there was some problem with the gold COA's as well that is causing them to be repackaged with new COA's, and they only had 5,000 of each ready by release date.
  • Options
    And FWIW, I just noticed that the mailing I received last week misspells "Calaveras" in two different places as "Calavaras."
  • Options
    Just flyin' off the table!

Date Gold Proof Gold Uncirc
    1/17/2016 5,993 2,990

Gold proof still backordered, Gold Uncirc still available, Still no silver date.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got mine today. The MS was rattling around with the case open, but looks OK. The PR is fine.
  • Options
    Tiny canvas. I'd appreciate a 5oz Ag puck of this coin... TIA...

Proof:

Uncirculated:

• Options
    Mine only got to Memphis 6:19 pm today. Musta taken a little vacation side trip over the 3 day weekend on its journey. Estimated delivery Jan 22.

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ordered one of each. PR was backorder but my card was charged for the full amount of both. Not sure whats going on there but would be nice to get the PR with my MS thats on its way to me.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Just delivered, a day early. They look perfect. 70? To my eye yes.

Unc still available, PF still B/O. FS cutoff date shows TBD.

Silver...not yet

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Yet ANOTHER poor design by the US Mint. Compared to the coins coming out of other countries, most of our modern commems are flat out amateurish and UGLY. Why does it have to be like this? Cost? Political correctness, lack of oversight? All of the above?? Its just ponderous man. Ponderous.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Grading is being done on these and the results posted. The PCGS First Strike page link still doesn't show a date though.

I'm wondering if I should use my expiring grading voucher to get these done, or, pick others in my collection to submit.

• Options
    Hmmm... This could get ugly. I wonder if some are waiting for the silver to go on sale...

Date Gold Proof increase Gold Uncirc increase
    1/17/2016 5,993 5,993 2,990 2,990
    1/24/2016 7,432 1,439 3,518 528

Gold proof still backordered, Gold Uncirc still available, Still no silver date.

• Options
    Arrived Friday, January 22, 2016:

United States $5 2016 Mark Twain Uncirculated

It will go nicely with this which I ordered direct from the US Treasury in 1982 for $340:

United States American Arts Medal 1981 Mark Twain

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Originally posted by: dpoole
    Just got mine today. The MS was rattling around with the case open, but looks OK. The PR is fine.

What? Coins rattling in the package? Surely you are pulling my lariat.

How is the flip going?

J/W

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like. Feb 1st for Silvers

(l8-)>>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file