Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2015 Secret Santa--Epilouge--1st Post

1235»

Comments

• Options
    I don't even take part in the holiday exchange but I think everyone should write a letter of misconduct to SCD.
    I have been a collector for over 35 years.
  • Options
    I'm really sad that all of this is in the same thread as the photos and excitement of the other recipients. Just too bad. But I'd like to thank my Santa again, who did a fantastic job.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    You're assessing a "proper price point" on the gifts you received? And complaining about the condition? Really? 2013 write-up

And you're using SCD to start your own "gift" exchange? You really should lose your position there. 2014 write-up

• Options
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5

You're assessing a "proper price point" on the gifts you received? And complaining about the condition? Really? 2013 write-up

And you're using SCD to start your own "gift" exchange? You really should lose your position there. 2014 write-up

And talks about BUYING something for his recipient (no excuse that he didn't "have" something from the wish list). Also says giving is more enjoyable than receiving.
  • Options
    This one is great. Talks about the "value" of a box of cards. write-up

I guess he didn't pass his own "feel good" test.
  • Options
    And I'll stop here. Last paragraph clearly shows he understands how to use a Beckett.

write-up
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Sabrgeek
    Look -- in simplest words, I screwed up. I thought I was sending enough.Rich

The above quote comes from a man who has the following BIO at the end of his SCD articles:
    Rich K. has spent almost his entire life collecting baseball cards having begun at the tender age of seven. He has spent more than three decades in the organized hobby including editing the first 12 editions of the Beckett Almanac of Baseball Card and Collectibles.

In addition, and as Mullins has LINKED above, here is a quote from one of his articles:

Then there is the situation where the card is priced too high for the condition. How many times have you seen a sign half off Beckett prices for a card which in reality should be a 10 percent card? Me too. That is not something any dealer should be proud of.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Isn't Sabrgeek kind of a big deal on Net54?
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

Originally posted by: Sabrgeek

Look -- in simplest words, I screwed up. I thought I was sending enough.Rich

The above quote comes from a man who has the following BIO at the end of his SCD articles:

Rich K. has spent almost his entire life collecting baseball cards having begun at the tender age of seven. He has spent more than three decades in the organized hobby including editing the first 12 editions of the Beckett Almanac of Baseball Card and Collectibles.

So IOW he's supposed to a renowned figure in the hobby? Then he needs to act like one!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    This guy is a major league d-bag.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy I would hate for this catastrophe to be the only thing anyone remembers. In my three years of participating, this was shaping up to the best exchange yet.

The good news is that even though Christmas is in the rearview mirror, he still has a chance to atone. He said he would, so I think we should afford him that opportunity. Would be rather nice to put a positive spin on this thing before it drifts off into the SS annals.

Rich - stop pimping your shows for half an hour and utilize that time to hop on eBay and find Nathan a legit card he can truly enjoy. But most importantly, stop treating this like an obligation and actually extract enjoyment out of the process.
  • Options
    Stephen, the sad part about it is that it is no longer in the SS spirit. Most people that were in the exchange were just as anxious to see if their recipient liked their gift as they were to open their own. That, IMO, is not the way Rich looked at it. He was trying to obtain a windfall, just like he probably does in all of these exchanges. It is truly sad.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smell the same stench you do, Doug. I was stupefied when I saw Nathan's initial post w/pics (before he yanked it). I thought to myself, surely not.

For some reason, I'm uncharacteristically willing to pardon such an egregious act if he takes a genuine stab at righting this wrong. Perhaps it's because we're two days into a new year, who knows.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    The twins and I were more than taken care of already. We got four high end cards for our sets that went above and beyond. I want to make that clear because we have had some who PM.

I'm almost certain it was Manny and Yankeesman. I could be mistaken. They don't want recognition. However, we got four extra generous items and I prefer give them both a public thank you as much as possible. I feel guilty about it. However, it's just as important to be a gracious recipient in my opinion. That's a gift as well. That's why I have been a big fan of posting your gifts.

We will have this happen one in every fifty times or so. It's just the way it is. When it happens next I will pay it forward and do my part. It's impressive that 49 times people really do cool things for others. In the real world,

the numbers aren't as kind in my experience.

If anybody hasn't posted pictures from their SS now would be an awesome time to post them. We really enjoy seeing them.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jfkheat
    Posting picture of the gift that HAMMERFAN44 received.
    James

That right there is a steller Feller
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the late reply - we've been catching up after being gone for 10 days.

We were in Illinois, visiting family over Christmas. We had intended to go to Chicago for a few days, but the weather turned bad, so we came home a little early. (Snow, ice, sleet and high winds are rough on New Orleanians - and especially those with a one year old in tow.) I intended to go to BBCE (and 3 Floyds Brewing) in Indiana on the way back from Chicago. Since we were about 45 miles away, and it happened to be my birthday - we braved the weather and made the drive to BBCE. I had a great time - the shop is amazing, the staff is super nice. The only downside? I had planned to buy a ton of junk wax.... but I froze in the heat of the moment and only picked up a couple of things. I should have made a list the night before. D'oh! I do recommend that you make the short drive to the 3 Floyds Brewpub if you're visiting BBCE. Good food (and it's tough to impress a New Orleanian with food) and even better beer.

Annnnnnnyyyywayyyyyyyy.....

I finally opened my Secret Santa gift on New Year's Eve.

As an LSU fan - it was great!

I have a ton of LSU autographs in my collection - but somehow, I hadn't managed to pick up a Shaq autograph yet.

Secret Santa solved that - not once, but twice!

In addition, I received a complete set of the LSU Collegiate Collection.

Thanks, Secret Santa!

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    Haven't seen anything from Rich in SC Daily (SCD is Sports Collectors Digest to me)...coincidence?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: byronscott4ever

Haven't seen anything from Rich in SC Daily (SCD is Sports Collectors Digest to me)...coincidence?

No. My sources say it's related.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

No. My sources say it's related.

+1

• Options
    As I mentioned before, my recipient, begsu (Bob), was put in time out before Christmas. He wasn't able to post, but he sent me a very nice thank you email. This morning, Manny and I received another email and he asked one of us to post this on his behalf. Here goes....

I opened. and it was good.

so from beyond the grave, here are my secret santa pick

ups

in no particular order til the last one...

(pre-formatted for your posting ease / viewing pleasure)

an amazing looking 75 opc psa 4:

a bol lotta love for this one:

this one "literally" blue me away:

santa didn't forget to bring a towel:

he even brought some more herb, score!:

can't come up w anything on this one, but i dig it:

and finally this one is definitely my fav of the bunch...the

mad hungarian:

funny, i thought i was bad this year? maybe

santa has a twisted sense of humor as well:

in all seriousness, a huge shout out to my secret santa.

(dan).

for many things really and mainly for a very well thought

out gesture. the hits just kept on coming!

manny, again thanks again for your efforts in putting this

all together.

i know it's a busy time of the year and no one really needs

any extra headaches, so with that being said, i truly

appreciate it!

to everyone else, i wish you all a healthy and happy 2016.
  • Options

I heard SCD gave him a TIMEOUT!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    bump for thread closure