Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2015 Secret Santa--Epilouge--1st Post

Comments

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Received a second box today! (I think?). Keeping it closed to be safe but amazing gesture second secret Santa!
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a bonus SS present as well! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    We got a 2nd package. Thanks Bonus Santa!
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Received my gift one day last week.

Shipped out via priority mail this morning, scheduled delivery on Tuesday. Sorry it took so long - one eBay seller sat on something for a week before shipping it. It still hadn't arrived as of yesterday afternoon, so I'll have to ship it separately. It was a small piece of the puzzle, so no biggie. If it gets here before Tuesday, it may still make Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas!

Some bad news/good news:

Bad news: I'm going over the river and through the woods for the holidays this year, so I won't be able to post my gift until 12/31ish.

Good news: My travels include three nights in Chicago, which means a trip to BBCE is in order!

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Happy Sunday! bump for updated list----
  • Options
    I received a bonus gift! The regular one is on its way, I'm sure.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing what everyone sent! Great job Manny!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received my SS gift this past Thursday, sadly it wasn't Kate Beckinsale.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: maddux69

Received my SS gift this past Thursday, sadly it wasn't Kate Beckinsale.

You don't know that!!
  • Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    I got my gift on 12/12. you can update me as received. thanks
  • Options
    3 days to go- bump for updated list. Only 2 guys need to received the gifts sent and both are on the way!

I am telling you boys--you will like what's been sent--well except for what was sent by Sabrgeek -- more on that after the holiday

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    The last part of my secret Santa gift (that the eBay seller decided to sit on, then send media mail) just arrived last night.

We're leaving this morning - and the post office is across the street from the biggest mall in the area.... so, NOPE. My recipient will receive a small bonus gift in early January.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    As we all know Festivus is actually celebrated on this, the 23rd day of December, I am terribly tempted to rip open my SS gift this evening...talk me off the ledge please!!
    I NEED HANKS!!!
  • Options
    Dear SS recipient, we thought this would get the juices flowing. You don't know who you are yet but soon you will. Did you know my wife and I have "twins"? They AREN'T identical. After some detective work we hope your gifts will fuel the fire.

When you open your last wrapped gift this will all make sense.

Bonus Joe heads to your house tomorrow Merry Christmas!

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Almost Christmas Eve, well some parts it is Christmas Eve. Im looking forward to seeing what everyone received.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Festivus- when does the airing of the grievances begin? I've got a lot of problems with you people ??
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    It's feats of strength time at the Turley household. We're all gathered around the metal pole. Happy Christmas Eve everyone!
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    Bonus! I must of been a good boy this Christmas! Thank you secret santas!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    Wow ... What a generous bonus Nathan. I hope your SS is as generous to you!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's time to get this party started, is it not?

But before I get to the goodness that resided within my box, I want to give Manny a colossal shout-out for making this happen. I very much look forward to participating in this exchange each and every year, and I was starting to suspect that it wasn't going to come to fruition in '15.

Now it's that time.

I am a long-suffering Chicago Bears fan who has had very little to get excited about since the days of the 46 defense. To be perfectly honest, innumerable less-than-satisfactory seasons (apart from the SB in '07) has turned me borderline apathetic. So to assuage my pain, Santa sent me this slick Panini Spectra (numbered 03/49) to help me reminisce about a man who used to fly around the middle of the field and make plays on a consistent basis:

He then proceeded to hit a titanic blast out of the park.

I am a rip-averse kinda guy -- otherwise known as someone who collects unopened material. A glaring omission I had in my pigskin run was a wax box from '83. The vast majority of the ones I have personally seen are beaters, X-Outs, or both. The sleek specimen shown below is none of the above. In fact, I own a number of boxes FASC that aren't this nice. So to say that I'm stoked is a grave understatement:

Santa - I love the card, I love the box, and I truly appreciate your generosity. Moreover, these gifts will undoubtedly offset the pack of undersized tighty-whities that I will invariably receive from a family member in the morning.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    great start! cant wait to see the other gifts!!!!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    What a clean box. I am a huge fan of the Spectra stuff.
  • Options
    Nice Galaxy!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Stephen - that 83 box is a beauty.

I started the morning with the Bonus Gift.

Ummm...mind blown.

A pair of Duncan RCs, and a 79 Rack...WITH Dodgers Team Card, Top/Center.

Can't believe I've still got a whole other package to rip.

Not sure if I'll do that tonite or tomorrow.

But let's start with one BIG Thank You to Bonus Santa!

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Alright guys, here is our haul from our SS. We had sent a list of a few modern sets we work on.

Instead we got a few 1989 Score Rookies(Barry, Brown and Carter). We also got a Shaq rookie and MJ UD base. In addition, we got two autographs. It is acting up so will post below. Thanks Sabregeek! Merry Christmas to all and I am pumped to see the pictures.

• Options

• Options
    We had a bonus SS and he sent a 1988 Topps Football box so we could search for a Bo rookie. Well, they didn't find a Bo but they did each find a $20 bill each. What an act of kindness and thoughtfulness. They were so stunned, lol. They want to wish you a Merry Christmas and thank you. You did something special for them. Pics below

I will update later with another item of amazing kindness later but right now the wife is calling me for our family gathering.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I love it when people go above and beyond.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 1980scollector

nice start Galaxy. Nathan -- no Bo rookies????--that box must have been searched

those smiles are all I need for my Christmas

• Options
    (I will TRY to get pictures posted...if I can they'll include a very special guest helping me model the gifts image )

From my regular Secret Santa, he not only helped me get Yaz*, Palmer, and Bunning crossed off my 1971 PSA 7 list, but cleverly wrapped them in a way that resembled a 1971 Topps pack! image

As for the bonus Secret Santa he gave me a few 1980 Topps HOF singles, including Yaz* as well as a 1981 Topps rack pack, and 1982 Topps, 1984 Fleer, 1992 Bowman wax packs...but since I already have complete sets of them, I let my wife open them instead because she likes opening packs image No big cards were in the packs but it was a fun experience together image

I sure hope my SS recipient likes what I picked out for him, and I'm so glad I was able to get back into this SS thing for the first time since, 2010 or so?

* --No doubt both SS's remembered my Bostonian wife and her favorite player image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Mailman just came by with a bonus Secret Santa gift! You guys are the best. I'll open tomorrow but it's great being part of such a special group of people.

Nathan
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Stephen--That is a spectacular 1983 wax box. I have an X out from that year and it doesn't even look like the same box when I see how pristine your box is in. Nice auto of a future HOFer. Hats off to your Secret Santa!

Jim--Whoa! Your bonus gift would have been a great SS gift period. Some well thought out gifts, especially the 79 rack with Dodgers showing.

1980's--I'm glad your bonus Santa came through with some extra fun for the kids. I'm sure they've got a nice savings account planned for their windfallsimage
    Steve
  • Options
    Mailman came with bonus gift today as well. I can't wait for tomorrow. ??
    #CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    This was my first year doing the CU Secret Santa and I had a lot of fun buying for my recipient. Unfortunately he's on timeout, but he wrote me 2 very nice emails about how much he appreciated his gifts.

My package arrived today and when I opened it, I was blown away! Such a variety of items, some from my list, and others that my Santa knew I collected. I didn't know how to order the photos, so we'll go from the biggest to smallest in physical size. I know who my Santa is, but I don't know the rules, so I won't name him. I have sent him a PM of thanks and also want to say here, THANK YOU SANTA!!

I'm sure Santa has seen me say that I love stickers, everything from vintage baseball to modern soccer. He sent this massive display full of packs of 2013 Topps baseball stickers. I don't know how many packs, but seem to be several dozen. Came with the album too, which included 6 more stickers, including a Machado.

Santa obviously knows I'm a huge fan of Andre Tippett, my favorite football player of all time. There are hardly any cards of his that I don't own multiple copies of, so it was good to get something different. The "fact book" is a media guide of sorts. Really cool, and the cover mentions their AFC Championship from the year before. The Game Day is the program from the 9/25/88 game against the Oilers. I hope you guys won't mind if I also update my Tippett thread with these.

Another player of whom I'm a super collector is Gino Cappelletti. Always cool to add a nice auto on a great looking card. Again, I plan to also post this in my player thread.

Like I said, Santa obviously knew I collect soccer stickers. Ronaldo is the #1 player I collect, and he's featured here. Also includes my first stickers of Aguero and Neuer, the latter of which is arguably the best goalkeeper in the world right now.

All of this is incredibly generous and would have been more than enough in itself. But there was one more card included, which is the best of the bunch:

imageimage

I mentioned on my wish list that I would like to own a T206. I thought if my Santa went with that gift idea that would be ALL I'd get, and that would be fine with me. I'm amazed that he sent one, and the rest of this stuff too! I had also mentioned that, being from Rhode Island, it would be cool if the T206 was a player from the Providence Grays. Boom! Love the color, the poser, even the last name. This will be sent to Newport Beach in a week or 2, when I do my CC renewal sub.

Thanks again Santa!
  • Options
    I also was lucky enough to receive a bonus gift from a very generous and truly anonymous "second Santa." Check this out!

Yaz with Pres. Jimmy Carter, signed by Carter, with a JSA COA. How cool would it be to add Yaz's signature to this piece??

Thanks bonus Santa, whoever you are!
  • Options
    Well, even though I did not participate in the SS for the first time in quite a while, I also received a "Bonus" gift from that very generous board member who has sent so many bonuses out this year. I opened a box that I received in the mail the other day, not knowing what it could be, as I was not expecting anything in the mail. You can imagine how blown away I was when I saw the following.

I know this gift was not meant to be put away in a drawer, so tomorrow I shall RIP all 5 and post the results.

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO THE VERY GENEROUS SANTA!!!!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    My wife was at the game where Yaz got this 3000th hit! I had no idea he got to go to the White House (I thought only champs got to do that, when did that start BTW?)
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Estil

My wife was at the game where Yaz got this 3000th hit! I had no idea he got to go to the White House (I thought only champs got to do that, when did that start BTW?)

3,000 hits = champ in my book.

• Options
    Well 3000 hits clinches Cooperstown anyway...unless you were on 'roids of course.

And I meant championship teams.
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    Wow, great stuff so far guys!
  • Options
    Merry Christmas All---

busy getting dinner ready and kids coming over--so probably open mine later tonite.

Enjoy your day and keep the pictures rolling
  • Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas! Very happy with my Secret Santa gifts. Two more packs with Orioles on top.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are a couple of nice packs. There's also a Phillie 3b showing on your rackimage Great stuff. Thanks everyone for sharing your gifts. Big thanks to Manny for starting this thread this year. It's my first time taking part but definitely not my last. Like Manny I'm swamped getting stuff ready so I probably won't even get to open mine until tonight. I promise I will share pics/scans as soon as I can.
    Steve
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listed the Braves as my favorite team and packs to open as one of my want list items. My Secret Santa was paying attention. He sent me some interesting Braves items, some of which I have never seen. I'm not familiar with the black & white pictures. The cigarette lighter is very cool. He also sent a couple Braves related graded cards. One thing that there is no way he knew is that the only vintage baseball set I ever completed is the 1970 Topps. My set is raw but this Braves team card will fit right in. He also sent 2015 Bowman baseball and football boxes for me to open, both are jumbo pack boxes. I didn't hit any big cards but it was fun opening them. THANK YOU VERY MUCH to my Secret Santa. I think I know who you are. image

PS:

I almost forgot about the 1985 Donruss factory sealed set. This set fits in with the Braves theme. Terry Pendleton, who later became a Brave, had an error card in the set listing his name as Jeff. I believe the corrected version was only in the factory sets.

James

• Options
    I just got done opening and all I can say is WOW! My wife will help me later as I have no clue how to post a pic, but my secret Santa and bonus secret Santa did awesome. Absolutely exactly items that fit my collection and I am proud to add! On even a cooler note I didn't mention it in a request or anything but I've been piecing together a 1985 T FB box for a few months and my secret Santa unbeknownst to then sent me 6 85 packs. I'm half way to my box now. Super stoked. Pics to come later tonight after family time is over. Wow, great fun.
    #CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    I am absolutely speechless as it pertains to the incredible thought that my SS put towards my list. My SS gifted me, from my collected list, two killer auto cards from (who he/she could never know) my favorite Cubs players; Anthony Rizzo and Kyle Schwarber and he blessed me with a gift from my "bucket list" of cards in a 1949 Bowman Bob Feller, this one being a PSA 8!!!! Very generous and thoughtful, Christmas Blessings and God Bless to my SS.

I don't know how to post pics, any help would be most appreciated as I would like to share my blessed tidings with you all.
    I NEED HANKS!!!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Guys. What can I say...I'm humbled. My SS really nailed it. Starting off with a few items from my list that I really wanted. My favorite wrestler growing up. JYD. Plus a Duncan RC 10. My bonus SS also sent me a 9 that I ripped yesterday, but Duncan is one of those guys I'll never mind having extras of. Especially a gem.

I also received a slew of rippables from 79-87. Including a 79FB tray (I love these!!!) and an 87 Fleer wax rack in red wrappers (never seen those before). These will be fun to rip over next few days. The tray and 87 Fleer may have to go into the unopened collection, but everything else is going down.

Finally, the gift I didn't ask for. It blew me away. It's something I've been wanting for a while, but had not mentioned to anybody. The surprise and thrill factor here was off the charts. An auto TD RC with inscriptions...just WOW...and THANKS!!!

What a Christmas! What great members we have here.

A big thanks to all who participated and Happy Holidays.

Looking forward to the rest of the hauls.

Jim

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    HOLY CRAP GUYS! What AMAZING gifts! Looks like some of the Secret Santas went WAY above and beyond! What a great group of collectors we have on the boards. And a HUGE WTG to Manny for taking charge.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug