Home Precious Metals
Options

Gainesville Coins issues?

Comments

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking for myself only, rt1 is crystal clear.

If a person has been through the wars and been screwed enough rt1 makes perfect sense. He isn't PC. Too bad. Get over it.

Re the OP and the nervousness regarding the seller....bad CS is the tip of the slippery slope. Let's hope pandas are shipped. Fact-seller didn't own them and neither did his supplier.

Doesn't that tell you something because if it doesn't then you might need a haircut to start learning.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How can people be so ignorant??? It's utterly amazing, the bias' people have they can't even read or comprehend simple sentences.... >>

Quote from the mirror, for posterity and all.
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking for myself only, rt1 is crystal clear.

If a person has been through the wars and been screwed enough rt1 makes perfect sense. He isn't PC. Too bad. Get over it.

Re the OP and the nervousness regarding the seller....bad CS is the tip of the slippery slope. Let's hope pandas are shipped. Fact-seller didn't own them and neither did his supplier.

Doesn't that tell you something because if it doesn't then you might need a haircut to start learning. >>

Attacks based on people 'not getting you' are hot tub buddies with condescension. Crystal clear or not, assumption is a basis for failure. Treat it how you will.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I think it was sarcasm comparing what Tulving ended up being vs. what GV appears to be heading towards. I could be wrong, maybe rt1 can clarify. >>

Thanks... when RT1 makes a comment, it's in English, but most of the time, I need an interpreter to figure out what he's saying.

I can only interpret because I am well versed, it takes one to know one. image

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Before the sports card forum alts get a little too carried away with themselves, I'd like to inject just a little common sense derived from 40 years of trading.

5 to 7 business days est.(but most probably more) means,
    1. Seller does not have these in stock.
    2. His supplier doesn't either.

In this silver market(and there is a lot to be concerned with RIGHT NOW), that is a bad omen.

The market is in turbulence right now. Do you think the seller will absorb a loss to fill this order or mail back a check? Or keep the money and ponzi the deal and keep their fingers crossed it doesn't get worse?

In the past when silver moves quickly the more senior people here have watched many companys go BK and small sellers commit suicide.
    Some forum members seem to think silver is ready to move up. That would put the seller in a bad spot.

Now to lighten up with a little SoCal flavor, SEARCH, Maroon 5 Sugar Youtube. >>

In my short time on here, I have noticed some of you coin and metals posters like to bash people that come on here from other parts of the forum. What's with all of those conspiracy theories? Can you not sign up under a sports name and use other sections of the forum? How about when a coin guy who also collects sports items signs up? If he uses a coin name, is he an alt if he posts in the sports section? I don't know. It all sounds like petty bull to me.

Back to the topic. Anything can happen, but until we have more evidence, action, or lack of action by the seller, you are just speculating. That's not going to do the original poster much good now.

I firmly believe you had better research 6 ways to Sunday before you turn loose of large amounts of money on the internet. But I am not going to browbeat the OP because he might not have done that first. It's sort of like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube. If it were me, I would give the seller 7 days max to ship. If nothing happens in that time frame, I would be taking actions that consisted of more than a phone call. >>

The metals group is an odd bunch

And some come with conspiracy theories

I've talked deals with GC people at shows. They seem impersonal and distant as compared with even their competition like provident

If they say 5-7 days, wait that much before complaining.
    Although I get way less than 5-7 days from other places.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dealt with GC in the 2002-2004 period on generic Saints in 61/62. I finally figured out I was getting more than my share of spotted and crappy coins. So I moved on to other sources. They always delivered promptly though.

No catch, Tulving sells them sealed and unsealed and their site clearly states the difference. 20 cent per coin difference ($100) between sealed and unsealed. I haven't found anybody that beats Tulvings price, sealed or unsealed. Just make sure when you compare prices bwetween two different suppliers that you compare sealed against sealed.

disclaimer: in no way affiliated with Tulving, just a very satisfied customer trying to pass it on.

Can't even believe someone is pulling up Tulving, in sarcasm or not. I saw those guys ripping people in the 1980's raw numismatic coin market and didn't want any part of them in the 2000's.

Tough time to send any money up front to any bullion dealer. For the past 10 years I've always paid with a check the same day and drove home with the stuff. There's no other way. I only trust one dealer in the world to hold stuff for me until I can pick it up. It took 20+ years to develop that trust. A 100% FB rating or "A" on BBB is no substitute. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Fun thread!
  • Options
    an order I placed on 8-11 shipped out today. wire received 8-11 @ 6pmET. shipped out 2 pm 8-14.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've dealt with them perhaps 10 times over 5 years. Never a problem.
  • Options
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 758 ✭✭✭
    I have bought from GC in the past. I just called or emailed my sales rep, I even requested items they were not selling on their website. Never a problem and they took care of me a couple of times. Everything sent Registered which took longer. I would be upset if they joined the growing list of pm dealers gone bad.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like no one got stiffed by GC, just a matter of customers expecting better service/turn around time.

Let's see if the OP gets his order.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like no one got stiffed by GC, just a matter of customers expecting better service/turn around time.

Let's see if the OP gets his order. >>

Not exactly my problem with them. Go up one post and see the comment about shipping via registered mail.

My problem was trying to place an order when I had an FPO/APO address. I get why some people don't like that (customs forms) or if they don't use the USPS so they CAN'T ship there. However I was informed (!) that they would not ship to me BECAUSE THERE WAS NO TRACKING. A bald faced lie as I can tell you Registered tracked just like any other mail. Priority too, though I could have understood that being more worrisome.

I lived overseas for 6 years and the only time I had a problem was shipping a box to myself between duty stations in Asia and Europe. It took 4 months to go 12 miles...and when I filed a complaint the box was located and arrived within 10 days or so. Dozens (hundreds if counting Priority), all tracked and delivered just fine. In fact I only had one Amazon box ever go missing, but I digress.

Anyway, I certainly didn't demand or expect a company to change its shipping practices for me BUT to lie? Forget it. Ampex, Provident, Goldeneagle (and a few others including BST and eBay) served quite well. The few times I had sellers not using the USPS (and a couple ebayers who were worried) then I either used a family member's address or a re-shipper.

So, not a matter of expecting better service, just not wanting to deal with people who lied and were rude about it. Not a basis for starting a relationship that requires a degree of trust. IMO if I can't trust them to tell me the truth, why on earth would I trust them when actually making a purchase of some significance?

• Options
    So, not a matter of expecting better service, just not wanting to deal with people who lied and were rude about it. Not a basis for starting a relationship that requires a degree of trust. IMO if I can't trust them to tell me the truth, why on earth would I trust them when actually making a purchase of some significance?

Couldn't have said it better than you just did. I said earlier in this thread, "Getting stiffed and poor customer service go hand in hand in my book as far as if I would ever do business with them again", and I still stand by that comment. Maybe some can overlook poor customer service, I can't because it usually leads to an issue if I do need help from the company with my purchase if there is a problem. I want to have confidence that if I need help because the item wasn't received as described, shipping issues, etc. they will help me, NOT rudely.
  • Options
    Rudeness has been established. I knew they were rude the last time I ordered from them, but I still got my purchase. OP has asked if their rudeness should cause him to be concerned about getting his purchase. The short answer: Their rudeness has not prevented them from delivering in the past. To date their poor customer service and stiffing buyers have yet to go hand in hand.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strictly from my own experience, they've never been rude to me in the past, and I'm absolutely positive that they never will be rude to me in the future, either.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    In helping some friends liquidate their inherited holdings, I found they had a fair price and payment was timely. I have done that a couple of times, so I have no issues with them. That said, I have not purchased from them. My customer service experience over the phone was excellent, but I am only a single data point. Chalk me up for no issues with Gainesville Coins and I would do business with them again.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Well it's been a week.

After reading ALL the reviews there seems to be a particularly wicked little business practice. The website which the coin co. Prides itself on has a dead end bank routing #. Buyer wires at a cost of $20+ and it fails so coin co. charges 5% for a credit card purchase which costs the company 2-3%. Nice skim. Customer is out bank wire fee. If it was a mistake why did more than one person bring it up? Why wasn't fee refunded?

The name that I saw associated with the coin co. Ownership is a name that scares the hell out of me in this business. Leopards rarely change their spots.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i had some problems with their attitudes at the coinfest coin show years back. never did business with them again. i think that was 2008 or so.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well it's been a week.

After reading ALL the reviews there seems to be a particularly wicked little business practice. The website which the coin co. Prides itself on has a dead end bank routing #. Buyer wires at a cost of $20+ and it fails so coin co. charges 5% for a credit card purchase which costs the company 2-3%. Nice skim. Customer is out bank wire fee. If it was a mistake why did more than one person bring it up? Why wasn't fee refunded?

The name that I saw associated with the coin co. Ownership is a name that scares the hell out of me in this business. Leopards rarely change their spots. >>

So 1 person found the info , congrats ...
    Other stooges, well just keep stooging, or posting your high and great knowledgeable information of hot air and pure ignorance... Job well done as usual...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>So 1 person found the info , congrats ...
    Other stooges, well just keep stooging, or posting your high and great knowledgeable information of hot air and pure ignorance... Job well done as usual... >>

speaking of hot air. . .
    you talk a lot for someone who says nothing. lol

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

Other stooges, well just keep stooging, or posting your high and great knowledgeable information of hot air and pure ignorance... Job well done as usual... >>

speaking of hot air. . .
    you talk a lot for someone who says nothing. lol >>

Coming from a Tulving sympathizer means nothing... Lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

speaking of hot air. . .

Coming from a Tulving sympathizer means nothing... Lol... >>

Yep, a Tulving customer for many years who got the best prices in town without getting burned by them.

The secret lies in knowing how to spot a loser. image

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

speaking of hot air. . .

Coming from a Tulving sympathizer means nothing... Lol... >>

Yep, a Tulving customer for many years who got the best prices in town without getting burned by them.

The secret lies in knowing how to spot a loser. image >>

Wow you must really be a genius... Lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    I live for your posts derryb. You know thatimage

So why don't you give us dummies the play by play to spot a sinking ship?

I shall await your reply in earnest.
    Best Regards

Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>I live for your posts derryb. You know thatimage

Best Regards >>

Don't bet on rawteam.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I live for your posts derryb. You know thatimage

Best Regards >>

Don't bet on rawteam. >>

Lol, streeter, bet the house on me, dowserb is still underwater 90% or most likely all his pm buys...
    Never follow a paper tiger like him, lol, especially when he claims to be a phyzz guy... Lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    the ole forum double post trick

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>Never follow a paper tiger like him, lol, especially when he claims to be a phyzz guy... Lol... >>

More hot air from the forum balloon. image

While my big money is in profit turning paper, I do have a couple of ASEs for insurance.

imageimage

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    RT1,

I come here to learn and listen to reasoned educated opinions. Ole Derryb has stated he can discern when to desert the sinking ship of Mr tulving in years past.

I'd be interested to have him guide a dummy like me.

Come on Derryb. Quit slamming RT1. Show your brilliance.

Or is your brilliance on par with the guy who was so proud of his move of diversifing that he stated that he invested in commodity based currencies just as the commodities markets peaked? Not knowing that he was just buying gold at $1,900 in a different form without knowing it. Then he couldn't identify how he actually bought those currencies. Truly a keyboard warrior move.

So Derryb, if you can determine when to desert the sinking ship then you must be on retainer to Blackrock and Citadel.

DerryB, I'm Chemistry and Business UCBerkeley 40 years ago, I can probably handle just about ANY level of technical analysis you can throw at me. Please, impart your wisdom.

I eagerly await your reply.
    Best Regards.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    The self righteous ironic hypocrisy is deep and hilarious in this thread.

U r the stupids
    u know nothings
    i wont sez why
    but see i toldz you soz
    cuz my assssss-umptions are right

• Options
    RT1,

I come here to learn and listen to reasoned educated opinions. Ole Derryb has stated he can discern when to desert the sinking ship of Mr tulving in years past.

Or is your brilliance on par with the guy who was so proud of his move of diversifing that he stated that he invested in commodity based currencies just as the commodities markets peaked? Not knowing that he was just buying gold at $1,900 in a different form without knowing it. Then he couldn't identify how he actually bought those currencies. Truly a keyboard warrior move.

So Derryb, if you can determine when to desert the sinking ship then you must be on retainer to Blackrock and Citadel.

DerryB, I'm Chemistry and Business UCBerkeley 40 years ago, I can probably handle just about ANY level of technical analysis you can throw at me. Please, impart your wisdom.

Best Regards.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    not worth keeping

• Options

<< <i>RT1,

Best Regards. >>

ole derryb only stated that he did not get burned by Tulving. If you take that as a stroke of genius, thanks for the compliment. FYI I have been buying and selling PMs since 2003 long before the peak (which I did heavily profit from). My paper plays are always leveraged ETFs that enable one to profit in both upward and DOWNWARD price movements. Yes, I was buying paper PMs when the market peaked, but I was buying the correct ones. My technical analysis and guidance is this: Focus on the PM markets without being sidetracked by or joining the chorus of those whose only purpose here is to disrupt. I slam RT because he slams others who are trying to learn or trying to share yet he fails to contribute to why we are here.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    hey thats cool, silver barons closet...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Just to let everyone know, I did get my box today. I'm a little surprised this turned into 4 pages (thanks to a certain internet warrior who seems to digress), all I wanted was a few replies with experiences buying from Gainesville.
    Anyhow, after a concerned phone call to what was like a clueless employee, they seemed to have "sped" up my order. She obviously went to the manager with my concern who emailed me this. Well, this is part of it. Oh, and I did mention the reason for my concern was horrible customer service and a few online horror story reviews. A mentioning of wire fraud was what started it for me.

"Please keep in mind your estimated shipping date is the 19th of August and your order is shipping 6 days ahead of the estimated shipment date. In the future to avoid and issues or concerns with your order, please check with us for an estimated shipment date prior to placing the order on our website."

I understand no business is perfect and things do happen but a lack of customer service is unacceptable. In this case I overreacted after reading the reviews but what made me search for those reviews was the bad customer service (calling in just to check on my order, the employee I spoke to sounded like I was disrupting his dinner!). I never bought from Gainesville before but my assumption was that they are up there with APMEX and MCM. Like the internet warrior mentioned, do your diligence before any purchase from any company, big or small.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>not worth keeping >>

11 hour edit. Nice. Posted before you went to bed and edited as you slept it off the next morning. Hope you didn't have nightmares. image
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>not worth keeping >>

11 hour edit. Nice. Posted before you went to bed and edited as you slept it off the next morning. Hope you didn't have nightmares. image >>

Was feeling feisty after selling a couple paintings last night, wasn't feeling it this morning though. Don't/didn't want to fuel the condescension any more.
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 758 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear your delivery was received RMLTM79

• Options
    The self righteous ironic hypocrisy is deep and hilarious in this thread.

Just this thread? image

hey thats cool, silver barons closet.

You read my mind. Perhaps a piece of paper being held in front of it all saying "derryb's stack, eat your heart out rt1 and pom" would be more believeable being we've been down the "pretend stack" road before on here.

Glad to hear your delivery was received RMLTM79

I am too, and thanks for bringing attention to what could be a business someone would maybe just prefer not to do business with after all the light that's been shed.
  • Options

<< <i>hey thats cool, silver barons closet. >>

<< <i>You read my mind. Perhaps a piece of paper being held in front of it all saying "derryb's stack, eat your heart out rt1 and pom" would be more believeable being we've been down the "pretend stack" road before on here. >>

Last time you publicly called me a liar I publicly fed you crow. Think I'll just let you go hungry this time. I could care less what rt1 and pom, or anyone else here for that matter, think of me.

The forum used to be about PMs, not forum members. This is what happens when there is no minimum age requirement. Grow up and be of some benefit to those who come here to learn and to share.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Grow up and be of some benefit to those who come here to learn and to share.

I am, more than you and I do, more than you. If you did share facts, streeter wouldn't be mocking you asking for your crystal ball fortune telling, he would KNOW what you think on something if you gave facts, but you like to lean on the side of just giving opinion, and we all know what that's worth. Give facts, not opinions when doing what you think is "sharing". You like to give your opinion rather than just report/post something you've found thru a result of your research. Let people decide for themselves, you try to influence...in true FOX news fashion that you do such a good job of imitating.

And I as well could give a rats ass about someone who thinks of me that constantly doubts anything said, always contradicts purely and obviously out of spite and who's never done a single transaction with me in the 6 years i've been here.
    It's amazing what perception does to a clouded thinking persons mind. Someone who claims to do so much due diligence on things would clearly see otherwise if they did.

The forum used to be about PMs, not forum members

How ironic is it that this comment comes from you of all people, the one is clearly out for self.
  • Options

<< <i>Grow up and be of some benefit to those who come here to learn and to share.

I am, more than you and I do, more than you. If you did share facts, streeter wouldn't be mocking you asking for your crystal ball fortune telling, he would KNOW what you think on something if you gave facts, but you like to lean on the side of just giving opinion, and we all know what that's worth. Give facts, not opinions when doing what you think is "sharing". You like to give your opinion rather than just report/post something you've found thru a result of your research. Let people decide for themselves, you try to influence...in true FOX news fashion that you do such a good job of imitating.

And I as well could give a rats ass about someone who thinks of me that constantly doubts anything said, always contradicts purely and obviously out of spite and who's never done a single transaction with me in the 6 years i've been here.
    It's amazing what perception does to a clouded thinking persons mind. Someone who claims to do so much due diligence on things would clearly see otherwise if they did.

The forum used to be about PMs, not forum members

How ironic is it that this comment comes from you of all people, the one is clearly out for self. >>

Sorry, not gonna buy something from you just so you'll be my friend. Friendship is earned. There's a reason I (and others) have blocked your PMs and it is enough reason to never want to conduct business with you.

I believe my years of posting both opinion and fact as well as anything I can to help my fellow forumites (such as ebay, paypal and postal tips) clearly demonstrates that I want everyone to benefit in the game of PMs. You really need to focus on PMs and not personal forum battles. In the years you have been here you still don't get it.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Sorry, not gonna buy something from you just so you'll be my friend. Friendship is earned. There's a reason I (and others) have blocked your PMs and it is enough reason to never want to conduct business with you.

I believe my years of posting both opinion and fact as well as anything I can to help my fellow forumites (such as ebay, paypal and postal tips) clearly demonstrates that I want everyone to benefit in the game of PMs. You really need to focus on PMs and not personal forum battles. In the years you have been here you still don't get it.

Per your request in your sig line, I just supported your son to show you and everyone that although we may not see eye to eye 99.9% of the time, our PM community should support each other. We can have civil discussions, we don't need to hurl personal attacks or troll.
    I sincerely support what your son is doing for his sibling...your daughter. image
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Some one bragging on they "cheese" eating now. Citizens arrest, citizens arrest!!!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Some one bragging on they "cheese" eating now. Citizens arrest, citizens arrest!!!

See what I mean. Tim, you are THEEE biggest a-hole here and I wish nothing buy horrible things for you and your family.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some one bragging on they "cheese" eating now. Citizens arrest, citizens arrest!!!

See what I mean. Tim, you are THEEE biggest a-hole here and I wish nothing buy horrible things for you and your family. >>

This is uncalled for, but not unexpected from you!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    POM, thanks for the contribution on behalf of my son and my daughter.

- Nick Giambruno