Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

August Pick Up Thread.......Post your Natty Purchases

Hey guys, August is already here. Let's see what you got and also what you picked up at the Natty.

Mark
Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    #d to 5

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    Really digging that Pudge/Perez!
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Another nice Mantle for the collection Steven. Congrats! How many more for you to complete the basic set?
    Steve
  • Options
    If all goes well tomorrow I will have 11 of the 16 Steve..thx man.
  • Options

<< <i>If all goes well tomorrow I will have 11 of the 16 >>

That's awesome! 65 Topps is really a classic set design. One of my favorites.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Hey guys, August is already here. Let's see what you got and also what you picked up at the Natty. >>

This should be a very interesting month as people get back from the National.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Among others,

imageimage

• Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I picked up this little guy to complete my all PSA 9 1986 Fleer Basketball Set:

• Options
    But didn't you already have that card in a PSA 10?
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Sure do. It's an OCD thing having 131 PSA 9 cards in your set with 1 PSA 10. I slept like a baby last night.

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a high dollar item but another rookie pick up from one of my favorite Braves - Bruce "Eggs" Benedict:

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Love the 69 Bench auto.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    First up - some Saints autographs and relic cards, and a Jrue Holiday relic and printing plate.

Next up, a 2014 Messi Champions League sticker. (Disregard all the garbage on the scan - it's on the CS1... I'll be getting this one graded.)

I rescued this from my LCS's $1 box. Not worth much, but a neat card of a (now) HOFer.

Also from the $1 box, I'm really excited about this card:

A bit of back story - as many know, Joey....errrr.....Albert Belle was a world renowned a-hole. I don't think he's signed anything as "Joey" since he came up and changed his name. It's even hard to find a comparator signature to try to verify, so I'm going to have to send it in. That said, the ink pen sig, the locality and the reasonable comparison to his "Albert" signatures make me feel good about it - especially for $1. He was cruising for a HOF career before some serious injuries (a hip, maybe?) derailed him.

I'd be curious to see what you guys think about it. Here's a couple of Belle signed items I found pictures of:

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Mark, where the $@%^ were you? Come on, man--it takes more than one man to catch Don Larsen.

Hopefully you're coming to AC next year. In the meantime, keep up the domination on PSA CardSlugger.

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    You guys are ballers! I can't believe all the stuff some of you have picked up already. Congrats to you all.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    Ethan, I'm digging that Muncie auto! I always prefer the old guys to the new.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Rynoandbo -- Congrats on completing your set in all 9's. If you were real that upset about having that lone 10 in your set I would traded you my 9 for 10 to fix the problem for youimage Seriously though, congrats on completing your set. And I know how you feel. I am working on an all 9 set and only 132 9's will do. Thanks for sharing your 10 Jordan too. That card is awesome. Would love to land one someday.
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Mark, where the $@%^ were you? Come on, man--it takes more than one man to catch Don Larsen.

Hopefully you're coming to AC next year. In the meantime, keep up the domination on PSA CardSlugger. >>

Was totally bummed I couldn't make it this year. I glad to hear everyone had a great time.

I will be at AC next year for sure. Oh, and that PSA Cardslugger game. Wow what an addictive game. image

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    CenteredMantlesCenteredMantles Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    Great pick ups all around. I am sure we will be seeing some major heat in this thread!

The National was a great time and it was a pleasure meeting some members here. I made a few small additions:

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    was picked up last month, however crossed over and extremely happy w/ the 5 designation:

24688627 EXCELLENT 5 1951 Bowman 305 Willie Mays Card

still not a mays fan at all, but need for a set.

edit: will post in the new holder once she gets home.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous card, Bob!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got this Bill Buckner rack pack in the mail today.

image[/URL][/IMG]
  • Options
    and this is absolutely huge in my opinion:

pop 1 w/ only 1 higher!!

1 1 24688626 VERY GOOD 3 1951 Bowman 253 Mickey Mantle PSA/DNA Certified Card

again, technically a june pick up but just popped to a 3 and will post a pic of her when she arrives.

obviously was happy w/ anything other than an "altered"....

but to get her verified legit AND come back a 3 in one fee, i am on cloud nine to say the least!

could have been one of my best collecting moves to date.

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Holy Smokes Bob. Nice work on the 51s!!'

Congrats.

Mays is awesome...but the Mantle...c'mon. Really stoked for you.

Your other red flips are on the way.

Jim

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

<< <i>Your other red flips are on the way. >>

thanks all around, jim!

certainly the best monday in a while...
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I am patiently waiting for Thunderdans post. Can wait to see what he got while over there. Never disappoints and always delivers big.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    djr, are you going to open the rack boxes to see if there are any Montana's showing on front or back? Or did you have BBCE seal them while you were there?
  • Options
    The 51 Bowman Mays and Mantle are really top notch.

Doug - Nice job on your T206's. I think you should continue once you get your NY players done. Only 524 not including the big 4. image

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    I've been on a game used jersey kick lately. These came in today:

2001 Lee Mazzilli Game Used Road World Series jersey

1989 Bob Geren Home Gamer
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>djr, are you going to open the rack boxes to see if there are any Montana's showing on front or back? Or did you have BBCE seal them while you were there? >>

No plans to crack the case rather let it gather dust without getting dusty. BBCE is wrapping the case at HQ and shipping. I just missed the 1982 Topps FB rack case image >>

the whole d@mn case? ...i hear ya, son!!!!

and to centered mantles...was posting when that 76 brett came thru and didn't give it the attention it truly deserves.

that is a very, very hard card to obtain w. any sort of centered eye appeal....

and you did it!!!

edit: h*ll, now ya got me looking at the rest of your post. that bird/magic, the centered mantles...especially 57 mantle w/ green hue. great eye all around!

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    An autographed 51 Bowman Mantle RC in PSA 3. There are no words....
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug.... Those are nice T206 congrats on the pickups.

Bob..... Beautiful Mantle with auto

Yankeesman... Sweet uniforms and a WS one to boot. I just picked up a Neil Walker gamer from this July 4th. It's my first and what's cool about it, it's very dirty which I love.

Centermantles...... Love the Bird Magic what did it grade? Also nice Mickey's

Darin.... The 81 rack is pretty sweet with George on every sleeve.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

<< <i>Doug.... Those are nice T206 congrats on the pickups.

Bob..... Beautiful Mantle with auto

Yankeesman... Sweet uniforms and a WS one to boot. I just picked up a Neil Walker gamer from this July 4th. It's my first and what's cool about it, it's very dirty which I love.

Centermantles...... Love the Bird Magic what did it grade? Also nice Mickey's

Darin.... The 81 rack is pretty sweet with George on every sleeve. >>

Thanks Bobby. I love that Walker. I was looking at those Pirates gamers from July 4th and almost put a bid on one without even being a Pirates fan. That is one gorgeous jersey.
  • Options
    WOW! Some major pieces in this thread; congrats! Here's my (small) contribution. Love this because other than team cards this is the only card Topps produced with the M & M Boys in the same photo.

]image
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed my day trip to the Natty. I rode up from Indianapolis with svtPony95. Thanks, Doug for the great conversation about cards and life in general. Also, thanks for negotiating the crazy Chicago traffic. Once at the show, I enjoyed brief introductions to DM23HOF (Matt), BPorter26, totallyradd (I saw you high-fiving after your Aaron purchase), KGibson , Thunderdan, and many others. I enjoyed longer conversations with CPAMIke (Mike) and Stone123 (Mike). I really appreciate discussing my disdain for a certain college in West Lafayette with Mr. CPA.image (although he knows I have to be careful as my better half is a graduate of that school, so its a good thing she doesn't ready this forum. Stone, thanks for the words of wisdom in the card world and with the career side, as we both work to keep mouths across America healthy. image I also, really enjoyed talking IU basketball and Reds baseball with Jeff and his father at Card Country. They are just a tremendous family. I shared a card in my Reds thread that I picked up from Jeff, but here are a couple other cards he hooked me up with.

The first one is an iconic card that I have wanted for a long time:

The second one comes with a side story: When the Civil Rights' Game was in Cincinnati 3-4 years ago, my wife and I stayed in a downtown Cincy hotel. Prior to the game, we walked through the bar and Mr. Cub himself was standing alone. We said hello and he waved us over to him. We proceeded to have an almost hour conversation with him, with only a small part of it without baseball. Mr. Banks could not have been more of a gentleman to my wife and I. When we said our goodbyes, my wife said I should ask for his autograph, but I told her I wasn't going to trouble him for it. I did request a photo of us together and he graciously obliged. So, I decided I needed a nice card to display with the photo. I will post the card now, which displays tremendous color. I will try to post the picture later tonight. Here is the card. Thanks again, Jeff!

• Options
    great synopsis and absolutely love that Banks...wow on the color and centering...no smudges either, really nice.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    That Banks has dynamite centering! Also, great back story about it.....

Jeremy
  • Options
    Here's one of the new centerpieces of my collection. Picked this up in the MLB auction last week. Absolutely LOVE this gamer. Plenty of dirt and McCann hit a homer in the game.

2015 Brian McCann game used home jersey - Father's Day jersey with Father's Day prostate cancer ribbon on front

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Here is the Ernie Banks card displayed with the photo I mentioned in my earlier post:

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian M. has a great stat line (162 game avg):

HR 26 RBI 97 AVG .271

Great guy too, from what I can tell. That might be a HOF Gamer some day!
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Returned after a month out of the country to an offer for these two beauties from a member here...
    1986 Panini Supersport - Seve Ballesteros, regular and foil. I missed out on the graded copies Scott had available a couple months back, but thankfully he remembered my interest image

Looks like everyone who went had a great National, thanks for sharing all the pickups from there and elsewhere! I'm drooling.
  • Options

<< <i>Brian M. has a great stat line (162 game avg):

HR 26 RBI 97 AVG .271

Great guy too, from what I can tell. That might be a HOF Gamer some day! >>

I'm hoping he ultimately will be a Hall of Famer. If he can stay healthy for another 8 or so years if you project his stats he's right in line offensively with Bench, Berra etc. I think he sneaks up on a lot of people that way.
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on that McCann jersey. Thats a really nice pickup, and this is coming from a Rays fan! image

I watched you pickup that Banks card from Jeff -Jmaciu. Its a really nice card and the story you have to go along with why you bought the card makes it even that more cool. It was nice to say a quick hello when we were both standing over Jeff's table.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    Happy with this one that arrived in today's mail

• Options
    absolutely love this card!

• Options

<< <i>Returned after a month out of the country to an offer for these two beauties from a member here...
    1986 Panini Supersport - Seve Ballesteros, regular and foil. I missed out on the graded copies Scott had available a couple months back, but thankfully he remembered my interest image

Looks like everyone who went had a great National, thanks for sharing all the pickups from there and elsewhere! I'm drooling. >>

good to have ya back, kyle!

nice seves...never seen that foil before, is it an '86 as well?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Returned after a month out of the country to an offer for these two beauties from a member here...

Looks like everyone who went had a great National, thanks for sharing all the pickups from there and elsewhere! I'm drooling. >>

good to have ya back, kyle!

nice seves...never seen that foil before, is it an '86 as well? >>

Thanks for noticing I was gone image I believe so on both being 86s, though there's no date on them, the backs are the same. The regular is #204 and the foil #s 108A/B. Scott has another foil, I believe, if you're interested in one just PM me.