Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mickey Mantle

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine is not the best example, but some believe Topps tried to airbrush the offending bat on this card. Since the cards that seem to show less bat handle are scarce, the likely argues against a Topps intervention. But some cards do seem more subtle. Print defect or variation ? >>

Looks like a print defect to me.

• << <i>

<< <i>Mine is not the best example, but some believe Topps tried to airbrush the offending bat on this card. Since the cards that seem to show less bat handle are scarce, the likely argues against a Topps intervention. But some cards do seem more subtle. Print defect or variation ? >>

Looks like a print defect to me. >>

I don't get it. What's offensive about the bat handle? And what's the difference between the 2 examples?
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Looks like a print defect to me. >>

I don't get it. What's offensive about the bat handle? And what's the difference between the 2 examples? >>

Bat knob touching Mantle's knob.
  • I still don't get it. There's no bat knob anywhere near his groin.

• << <i>image >>

Some guys have a third leg....Mickey's third leg was a bat - I guess that explains his greatness!
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Ebay Store
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Print defect or variation ?
    >>

Hiya Al

Have you checked with Bob Lemke or your buddy Bob for his opinion?

If that's a defect, it sure is "selective" - it seems to have 'just' affected the bat as such?

Have no definitive idea.

How ya doing?
    Mike
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Dan--I can picture Joe Pesce cross examining you in My Cousin Vinnie image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    Hi Mike. It's an open question. You can find cards that some think are transitional. I would think if Topps intentionally attempted to improve the card that the "improved" version would be more prevalent. Since it is not, it may just be a temporary print defect. Another hobby mystery.

Al

• << <i>Dan--I can picture Joe Pesce cross examining you in My Cousin Vinnie image >>

I would never, in a million years, have noticed that!
  • Ah nuts! I missed that. Yep, that's indeed a variation. How ever will the guide writers discreetly word such a differentiation?!*? --- It will take at least a couple latte mugs of java, properly flavored of course, to sift through one's vocabulary, Roget's, the NET, colleagues, and et al to solve this quandary. Perhaps the hobby won't bat an eye and just let it be. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a new one to add to this oldie but goodie thread. Had this guy tucked away for safe keeping. Got it from Mickey back in fall of 1987 in Fort Lauderdale at the Yankees old spring training site.

• belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    That is so awesome!!! Must display next to your mantles. Very cool KC, thx for sharing.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding piece. Must be a major highlight of your collection. Personalized by The Mick himself, amazing. Even his handwriting had style.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't read the entire thread so if it has already been mentioned I apologize. I just got an email highlighting this current auction and it is an amazing item.

1952 Topps partial uncut sheet

52 sheet

Thanks for the notes guys. It is my second favorite piece in my collection behind the photo I took with Mickey on the field that night at first base. He was, along with the other players, very nice to a young player who was still in college, and at the time I realized what a big deal it was but appreciated it more as I got older. I did not grow up watching him play since I was too young and born during his last season, and I could only imagine how many young kids that grew up in the 50's and 60's idolizing him and wanting to have a chance to meet him that never got a chance to do so. My grandfather got a chance to meet Babe Ruth as a kid and I can still remember the story about it. I guess it is the essence of why we collect - a chance to love as a kid again when life was much simpler.

KC
    Would love to see that picture, sounds awesome.

I agree that the connection to youth and the myriad positive things-- mentally and spiritually-- associated with youth is a big part of collecting cards or anything one collects, if they also collected it as a child. Likely it's the biggest part. The mood-altering effect of just thinking of, looking at, or holding a favorite card-- I've always found it quite powerful and cool.
    Thought I had shown it in another post. Here is the photo - hope you enjoy it.

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    those are some awesome items/memories....thanks for sharing...i know how it feels and it is priceless
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    Ya, that picture is by far the tops of any personal collection..wow.
  • IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    KendallCat---

I do recall seeing the great photo you displayed previously. Now that I know who you are, it's all the better. What a special moment. That perfect photo with the equally perfect personalized autographed ball to you will always be one of your most prized possessions, I'm sure.

Many of us never saw Mickey play, but that has never diminished our drive to collect cards of him. One of my favorite ways of bringing the past back to LIVE RIGHT NOW has been the gems loaded up on Youtube. Just perchance you have not seen these yet, may I recommend these two:

1952 World Series Game 6, ...Game 7 >These are the complete telecast of those World Series games that millions across America saw on TV. Precisely the same. They were filmed and sent overseas to our dear US servicemen over in Korea where a wretched war was still raging. I mean, the announcers are both highly esteemed Hall-of-Famers in that category, none other than Red Barber and Mel Allen! These were the very games in which Mickey Mantle played a major role in one of the greatest World Series ever fought. So evenly matched. At this very moment in time, Topps had finally released its long awaited 7th series baseball, with a certain player we all love leading off, and followed by Jackie Robinson.

Type in Post Cereal baseball trading cards. Youtube has a special one from 1962. Absolutely positively saturated with period charm. Again, precisely what kids like me saw in 1962, and got us very interested in collecting the Post Cereal cards---we all wanted Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle, among a few others. As I remind collectors, there were no Topps commercials. The TV commercials made the Post so special, and in our minds we loved those Post just as much as the regular 'ol Topps, nice as they were. In fact, I loved and cherished the Post Cereal cards more than the Topps. For a variety of reason, I had to work much harder to get the Post than the Topps. There's an old saying, a man really appreciates what he has worked hard to get. In a kid's world, I'm referring to a number of things people rarely think about and consider. Those things I put in my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your precious time with Mick. I was too scared to go to a show and get Mickey's autograph; I was afraid of risking death to the little boy within my heart who still considered him a big hero.

Salud, Bro. ----Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
    Brian,

Great videos on youtube...thanks, hard not to smile watching the baseball card commercial..unreal cool. Funny thing is I was looking at other youtube Mantle videos and came across Josh Donaldson talking about collecting cards and that he needs to play a couple more years until he gets the Mantles he wants for his collection as their pretty expensive...haha, so if anyone thinks the demand will go away or prices will drop from the sky, think again...we've got current baseball players that collect!!!
    I am from St Louis originally. Attended my first World Series in 1964. Saw Mantle, Ford, Berra and Maris...before the latter came over to the light from the dark side. :-) One of my favorite Topps cards is card # 134 in the 1965 set that purports to show Mantle hitting a "clutch home run" but actually shows him whiffing on a Gibson fast ball. ( the home run in question was actually hit off Barney Schultz). I have been to series games since in 67, 68 , 82, 85, 88, 04, 06, and 11 ( missed 13). The 1964 Series remains my favorite.

Al
    With all the mantle love lately on other threads especially "seebelow" and "Kendall Cat", I thought I would mention that I too have been quite busy with my mantle basic collection. Since I last posted I have a new addition, an upgrade addition, and am currently working on another addition as well as 2 potential bumps. Everything should be completed within 2 weeks time so I will wait and post it all at once to share..good stuff coming!!! Not as cool as the unreal cards of late from SB and KC, but still enough to make me so incredibly happy!!! Enjoy your thanksgiving with your family and friends..I'm thankful for my family and friends...also thankful for the friendships I've developed on this board..it's great coming here to share my love of the hobby with fellow nerds like me..haha. image
    Cannot wait to see them and looking forward to the reveal. If you need to sell any of your cool Mantles to help pay for them you know where to find us image Cards are fun, and I agree the friendship and sharing on this board is what makes it fun. Have a great Thanksgiving and travel safe for those on the road today.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in either '93 or '94, a good friend of mine got these signed @ a Gloria Rothstein show for each of my boys (who were each under the age of 5 at the time). I recently ran across them and submitted them to SCG for authentication (they ran a Mantle special in October) and plan to surprise them with these for Christmas.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    And if the boys don't want it ... forward it to Long Island! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Originally posted by: Ironmanfan
    Back in either '93 or '94, a good friend of mine got these signed @ a Gloria Rothstein show for each of my boys (who were each under the age of 5 at the time). I recently ran across them and submitted them to SCG for authentication (they ran a Mantle special in October) and plan to surprise them with these for Christmas.

IMF

For many years I have believed the 1987 Perez-Steele Great Moments Mickey Mantle to be the finest post-career modern Mickey Mantle card. Easily the best card the formidable duo of Perez-Steele ever crafted of Mickey. Absolutely perfect for Mickey to sign his beautiful autograph.

As one who loves Mickey Mantle cards, I am also of the opinion this beauty is a fabulous card, period. A brilliant homage to the T-3 tobacco premiums of 100 years ago. Earlier this year, I was thrilled to purchase a breathtaking PSA 9 MINT specimen of this card, which as I stated, is, overall, the most compelling post career card of Mickey Mantle. Truly a "gotta have it" piece de resistance!

I'm sure if Papa was able to make the history of baseball interesting and come alive to his boys, their eyes with grow huge with surprise and joy when they receive these elegant Mickey Mantle pieces and hear your tender story of how you were thinking of them so long ago. No doubt PSA will encapsulate each of them in the same holder they did for mine; the holder is so strong and sturdy, most befitting a card of this caliber. Furthermore, this holder has a nice heft to it, which contributes jointly to create a complete package of TOP Quality. A real treasure awaits your boys!

Well done, Ironmanfan. As I love to quote the venerable knight from INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, "You chose..........wisely."

---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
    OK...so I've been busy and promised an update...the following are the most recent moves in the last couple months (pictures will come when I get everything in hand):

Upgraded my 1966 to a PSA 8.5

Purchased 2 beautiful PSA 8's of 1957 and 1959

Purchased the best looking 1960 that I will be submitting to PSA for a grade, and most likely selling my current 1960

Awaiting potential bumps on 3 of my Mantles (hoping to get grades today)

Once everything is back in hand and on the shelf for display, I will focus my efforts on my final 2 for the Basic Collection (while always looking for potential upgrades of current - which is getting more and more difficult to come by). To do this I will be on a selling frenzie for the next 4-5 months (less interested parts of my personal collection).

Happy Friday and Happy Mickey Mantle Day!!!

Steven (aka Belz)

• jmbjmb Posts: 594 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to belz for starting this thread, which rekindled my interest in the hobby. I finally have some Mantles to contribute after a whirlwind 2 weeks. Wish the 53 was a bit better centered but it will do.

Thanks to Jeff at cardcountry for 2 of the above cards and his assistance with another focus I have. The rumors about him are all true.
    He's great to work with. image
    Excellent mantles there!! Congrats...that 57 is very sweet
    That is a beautiful run of high grade Mantle cards which will be very tough to beat - a lot of 8.5's which is very impressive. Just add the two big boys and you are done! Love the 58 and 64 in 8.5's - those are very tough to find. Congrats and thank you for sharing.
  • CWCW Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭
    Epic thread is epic! It was fun to flip through these pages. Thanks for all the posts.

Way to keep it going with those three, jmb. Sweet cards!

So, Steven... the empty spaces are for '52 and '53 Topps? Good luck with the search and you have a killer collection already.

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    wow....sweet looking collection....ive been waiting for your updates and u didnt disappoint...you have quite a few that are my favorites...awesome!!!!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    Jmb, glad that 57 Mantle found a new home! Here he is a couple of months ago in my office before he was shipped in Indiana:

• DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    It's been a while since I followed this thread. Here is another of my favorite Mantles.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a shame he didn't have a 54 and 55 topps card. I assume like Musial he was under contract with Bowman during those years.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Originally posted by: Darin
    Its a shame he didn't have a 54 and 55 topps card. I assume like Musial he was under contract with Bowman during those years.

I had always like the what-if 1954 Mickey card here: (not mine)

and this what-if 55 Mickey here (not mine)
    Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those what if cards are totally unrealistic. Topps surely would have used the same headshot on the '56 for all three years!
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • CWCW Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭
    Scha-WING!
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭
    Wow ClockworkAngel!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Very impressive thread!
    Originally posted by: thesouthdoesitagain
    Originally posted by: Darin

I had always like the what-if 1954 Mickey card here: (not mine)

and this what-if 55 Mickey here (not mine)

I am unfamiliar with the beautiful WHAT IF 1955 TOPPS MANTLE you chose. Would you please kindly enlighten me when Topps produced this one? Thanks in advance. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
    More Mantle madness at this end...

After the 1960 in 8.5 and the 1963 in 8.5 and the 1956 in 7.5...

Now just landed the 1967 in 9 and the 1964 in 8.5!

Pics to come but I feel like a kid at Xmas. My wife (who is foreign) cannot understand my joy right now. So pumped.
  • Originally posted by: DM23HOF
    More Mantle madness at this end...

After the 1960 in 8.5 and the 1963 in 8.5 and the 1956 in 7.5...

Now just landed the 1967 in 9 and the 1964 in 8.5!

Pics to come but I feel like a kid at Xmas. My wife (who is foreign) cannot understand my joy right now. So pumped.

That's awesome! Can't wait to see pics!
  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first 52' Mantle arrived last week. No number grade assigned but felt it was a beauty to make the plunge on for the long term collection. Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!!