Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mickey Mantle

Comments

• Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    DM23HOF ....... W image W !! Fantastic run of Mantle's.
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Matt, great eye as always. Love 'em all but the '63 is my favorite. Image is clear as day and the word "Mantle" in the front doesn't require 3D glasses to see clearly like with other examples of this card. Unless there are some surface issues that can't be visualized through a scanner it seems like there are several bump candidates. Good luck.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not an expensive Mantle or anything but I always liked the 1964 Auravision Mantle.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>This just made my day:

image >>

Nice Mick pickups! With the sale of your ruth rookie you've picked up a very nice jordan 10 rookie and bunch of nice mick's!
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful 53 Mantle, Congrats.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    I said in another thread yesterday this was my childhood dream card and I've never held one in my hands. Well, today's a new day, and I've held my very own, and I can play in this thread now too!

I'll probably post this thing in about 5 more threads today.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I said in another thread yesterday this was my childhood dream card and I've never held one in my hands. Well, today's a new day, and I've held my very own, and I can play in this thread now too!

I'll probably post this thing in about 5 more threads today. >>

Great registration on that one! The image quality makes all other issues take a back seat. At first glance I was expecting to see a 6 on the label.
  • Options
    Since we're sharing 51 Bowmans. I picked this one up in Chicago at the National.

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great image quality on the 51 Micks! One of the best cards in the world in so many ways. Congrats, fellas.

And thx re the latest batch.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Love the 51 Mantle's. That 2.5 looks great.
  • Options
    It's raining Micks over here. Been hunting this one a while.

• Options
    WOW, This is amazing the amount of Mantles being acquired. Congrats to both of you guys on the 51 Mantles. Beautiful cards.

Matt, Congrats on the 58 Mantle, super centering. I would like to see it once you get a chance to scan it yourself.
    Matt
  • Options
    Thx, Matt. Can't wait to do so!

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Matt, wow..nicely done, I just love the 58 and the centering on that one is so spot on. That's it, I'm scanning pictures of mine this weekend...tired of showing mine off in glare and poor picture quality..nothing like in hand though, so when we hold the Mickey Mantle Convention, well, let me just say, I'll need someone to hold me up.

At the National when I stumbled upon the 52 PSA 8 and stopped, my son looked at price realized and believe his heart skipped a beat...he then said, dad, when are you getting one of those...son, that'll be the last one I get, the last one.

Great Mantles, almost as good as having them...Keep em coming!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    dgordodgordo Posts: 123 ✭✭
    my one and only mantle:

http://myworld.ebay.com/dgordo76

My current wish list:

https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=27&threadid=952285&enterthread=y

Please pm me if you want to sell any of these cards.

Thanks!

• Options
    Glad to see this thread still going strong, there's some real beauties in here. Great '52 dgordo.

I wanted to take a second to write about his '69 Topps. To me it's a very special card because it seems to capture a side of The Mick's story that most of his other cards don't. Many of my favorite Mantle cards feature bright colors, big smiles, sunshine...almost a boyish optimism. However his last card is a different story. Gloomy skies, a tired look on his face. Look at his eyes, you can almost feel the uncertainty he has about his future. Save for the red circle even the colors seem weary on this card. A very appropriate image considering what we all know about his last years as a player.

As most collectors are aware Mick retired in March of '69, meaning Topps wasn't able to pull his card (though they did include a line about his retirement on the back). Therefore this card shows his complete stats on the reverse. And of course there's the famous white version/yellow version aspect. And did I mention centering? It's a beast to find truly centered, I feel very blessed to own this example:

• Options
    Very poetically stated and I could not agree more wholeheartedly. Your 69 is also a specimen. One of the beautiful things about collecting The Mick's basic card run is how it charts the man through the years. And some of that beauty is also sadness— at what he did to himself, at what could have been, had he taken better care. His early cards are portraits of man as raw potential, awesome, powerful, yet also boyish, at once poised for ultra stardom and also unsure how to handle that massive cultural spotlight. Then his middle-career cards are images that exude confidence; they depict a man enjoying his prime, comfortable in his own skin. And then we have the change that can begin to be seen in the '65 issue, which is such a gorgeous image and design and color palette, a change that continues through the 66, 67, 68, culminating in all you pointed out so astutely about the '69.

Aside from this complete story the cards tell about the man and his career, there are all the condition challenges-- such as the issue you mention with the 69s and centering. It all comes together to create a satisfying collecting experience. One has to hunt the right card and also ask himself, "Where will I make my concession?" Since GEM MT examples are basically out of the question, will a collector concede some centering for registration, some corner wear for a clear image? So many decisions to make when selecting a Mick card.

• Options

<< <i>
    I wanted to take a second to write about his '69 Topps. To me it's a very special card because it seems to capture a side of The Mick's story that most of his other cards don't. Many of my favorite Mantle cards feature bright colors, big smiles, sunshine...almost a boyish optimism. However his last card is a different story. Gloomy skies, a tired look on his face. Look at his eyes, you can almost feel the uncertainty he has about his future. Save for the red circle even the colors seem weary on this card. A very appropriate image considering what we all know about his last years as a player.

As most collectors are aware Mick retired in March of '69, meaning Topps wasn't able to pull his card (though they did include a line about his retirement on the back). Therefore this card shows his complete stats on the reverse. And of course there's the famous white version/yellow version aspect. And did I mention centering? It's a beast to find truly centered, I feel very blessed to own this example: >>

This was a very well thought out statement. I've often had similar thoughts about this card as well. You picked up a very nice version. Congratulations. I think this card is a BEAST. I have always wanted it in an 8 and cant find one centered or without tilt. I found a 7.5 not terribly long ago that I thought about buying, but it was over priced, and I thought I would find a 8. That was a mistake, that I wish I had not made.
    Matt
  • Options
    This stuff is incredible!

Thanx for posting guys.
    Mike
  • Options
    Wow..so well put, thx for sharing.
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    "“He has more speed than any slugger and more slug than any speedster—and nobody has ever had more of both of ‘em together,” [Casey] Stengel declared. “This kid ain’t logical. He’s too good. It’s very confusing. - See more at: http://www.womanaroundtown.com/sections/reading-around/mickey-mantle—the-reluctant-hero#sthash.CRqBWgXr.dpuf"

"Mantle’s power enabled him to drive the ball, but that force also wreaked havoc on his entire body. “A photograph taken as he hobbled toward a waiting limousine was converted into an annotated medical chart with dates and arrows fixed to every part of his body except the grimace on his face: knees, tonsils, shoulders, rib cage; abscessed hip, fractured finger, fractured foot; pulled, sprained, and torn muscles; surgery, surgery, and more surgery.” - See more at: http://www.womanaroundtown.com/sections/reading-around/mickey-mantle—the-reluctant-hero#sthash.CRqBWgXr.dpuf"
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Matt & Matty - AMAZING MICKS!

To the other guys - those 51s ... that '52 ... and all the other posts ... they look GREAT!

I listed some of my low grade Micks in this thread last month ... let me see what other ones I have on my PC ...

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    That's a really nice array of Mantles Doug.

The Z cache is really nice. I like anything signed by the Mick! image
    Mike
  • Options
    Doug, you scored on that 53 Bowman Mantle. I want that card and the 53 Topps bad.
    Matt
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of the 1969 Topps issues, the company seemed to decide to have Mickey Mantle in every possible issue they printed; a sort of "one for the road". Nobody wanted the music to end. So, 1969 was a tribute to Mickey Mantle. I well remember when Topps released the series that included Mick. I was pleased they made one more Mickey Mantle. I had that ultimate boyhood collector thrill of pulling Mickey out of a nickel wax pack twice that summer. I was fifteen. Both mine were miserably off-centered; nevertheless, I always tried to focus on that moving picture of Mick.

Several years later, in 1972 I attended my first major adult sports card convention. Tabbed the Midwest Sports Collectors Convention, it was held in Troy, Michigan. At the time, it was considered the biggest baseball collector show in the country. I was very privileged to attend all three days. Some time early in the show, I was introduced to Mr. Bill Haber. This gentleman worked for Topps and was responsible for the cartoon artwork and captions on the backsides. Anyway, he was carrying around a black satchel. He showed me what was inside. I saw about eight sets of a very attractive card design I had never seen before. Bill said they were the 1969 Topps Super Baseball. He let me shuffle through a set; I did so with utmost care. As soon as I saw the Mickey Mantle, I wanted to buy a set from him. His price was thirty dollars, about twice what a standard set of Topps cards cost from a mail order dealer back then. I thought his price was just a bit high and told him so. Instead of cussing me out and stalking away, he asked me what I thought was fair. I said twenty bucks. He agreed to a sale. Obviously, it was one of my treasured purchases at the show, not because I got the set for less, but because I really loved those cards. They're simply beautiful.

Long to short, I eventually got my 1969 Topps Super Baseball Mickey Mantle graded and it came back MINT. Since it's the same photo as that used on the 1965 Bazooka, it would date no later than 1964, when Mick was having his last great year.

I hope others will continue to chime in with their favorite graded Mantles, and some childhood stories of collecting Mickey. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    Brian .. what a great story. Thanks for sharing.

I too could not wait for March/April to come around so I could go to my local deli and buy my first couple of packs for the new year. First thing I did when I found a checklist was to see if THE MICK was part of that Series. It was ALWAYS a thrill to find him in a fresh pack back in the 60s. Too bad those days are gone. But man, what memories.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    The "Mighty Mick of 56" framed/autographed poster...

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a recent pickup of a Mantle auto of the artwork of the 1953 Mantle.

• Options
    Tom - I love that poster. I have it hanging in my room (same frame too). Although mine is signed by Gallo, unfortunately it is NOT signed by THE MICK.

Kendall - that artwork is GREAT!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of the 1969 Topps issues, the company seemed to decide to have Mickey Mantle in every possible issue they printed; a sort of "one for the road". Nobody wanted the music to end. So, 1969 was a tribute to Mickey Mantle. I well remember when Topps released the series that included Mick. I was pleased they made one more Mickey Mantle. I had that ultimate boyhood collector thrill of pulling Mickey out of a nickel wax pack twice that summer. I was fifteen. Both mine were miserably off-centered; nevertheless, I always tried to focus on that moving picture of Mick.

Several years later, in 1972 I attended my first major adult sports card convention. Tabbed the Midwest Sports Collectors Convention, it was held in Troy, Michigan. At the time, it was considered the biggest baseball collector show in the country. I was very privileged to attend all three days. Some time early in the show, I was introduced to Mr. Bill Haber. This gentleman worked for Topps and was responsible for the cartoon artwork and captions on the backsides. Anyway, he was carrying around a black satchel. He showed me what was inside. I saw about eight sets of a very attractive card design I had never seen before. Bill said they were the 1969 Topps Super Baseball. He let me shuffle through a set; I did so with utmost care. As soon as I saw the Mickey Mantle, I wanted to buy a set from him. His price was thirty dollars, about twice what a standard set of Topps cards cost from a mail order dealer back then. I thought his price was just a bit high and told him so. Instead of cussing me out and stalking away, he asked me what I thought was fair. I said twenty bucks. He agree to a sale. Obviously, it was one of my treasured purchases at the show, not because I got the set for less, but because I really loved those cards. They're simply beautiful.

Long to short, I eventually got my 1969 Topps Super Baseball Mickey Mantle graded and it came back MINT. Since it's the same photo as that used on the 1965 Bazooka, it would date no later than 1964, when Mick was having his last great year.

I hope others will continue to chime in with their favorite graded Mantles, and some childhood stories of collecting Mickey. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell) >>

Really nice story Brian. Thanx!
    Mike
  • Options
    Finally got around to scanning last night and thought I would share:

• Options
    Belz - real nice looking cards of THE MICK! Enjoy them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Great stuff Steven. I really like how you have nearly every card in a new holder. Really solid collection of Mantles. I wish I had some of those in my collection.
    Matt
  • Options
    Thanks Matt and Doug. Excited to see what the next couple years brings...hope we can get a little price drop on some of the higher end 7's and better but I doubt it. I like my 56 in an 8 but the 8.5's and 9's I've been seeing lately are just so perfect. It'll be fun to see new prices on higher end PWCC's in Brent's next auction. Love it when he has 8.5s and 9s of the basics..just out of my league for awhile, but fun to see the cards and watch the bidding.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "belz"...

Very impressive run of Topps Mantles! Beautiful cards...
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Belz...That run is just BANANAS!

Nice Work!
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    I got rid of almost all of my unopened...I'm feeling like it was worth it.

And thank you both for the compliments...fun to collect indeed
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I was gonna ask if you funded those beauties with those box sales.

Nice work. I've considered taking back some of my space to do something similar, but I just can't do it. Maybe someday.

Your scans make a compelling argument.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    you chose wisely.

• Options

<< <i>I was gonna ask if you funded those beauties with those box sales.

Nice work. I've considered taking back some of my space to do something similar, but I just can't do it. Maybe someday.

Your scans make a compelling argument. >>

That's the beauty of our hobby...so many great things to collect and enjoy. I have some investment unopened and a few for fun to open on a rainy day, but when push comes to shove, I just love displaying my favorite cards. It brings me back to a day where there wasn't a care in the world.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Here are my Mickey Mantle cards from 1963. Some that have not been posted. I cannot find him in the team card,maybe third row down,second in? I hope he isn't the one in the top right third from the end!What a strange picture. I do see Yogi! Second row on the end. image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Speaking of strange pictures, I never clicked with the 55B. It just doesn't look like him at all to me in that shot.

• Options

<< <i>Speaking of strange pictures, I never clicked with the 55B. It just doesn't look like him at all to me in that shot. >>

+1 ... looks like a child that Mick and a young Killebrew would produce! lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Picked up a nice 1962 this week. 12 down, 4 to go!!!

• Options
    Mantle has a lot of great looking Topps cards. I appreciate that on some of them he's swinging lefty and on some he's swinging righty and I like the leaping catch on the '56. But my favorite 2 Topps cards of his, looks wise, are his 1965 and '67. '65 is such an attractive set design in general and it's a cool follow through. And that All American smile on the '67, combined with a simple, clean design, makes for a great looking card too.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you chose wisely.

image >>

Haaa! I just introduced the kids to that movie the other day. We actually watched all 4 movies in order and they loved 'em. My wife and I were in Target and I saw "Indiana Jones , The Complete Adventures" dvd's. Of course I had to grab it.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Picked up a nice 1962 this week. 12 down, 4 to go!!!

image >>

Thanks for sharing and that is a very strong run of Mantles. Some of them(65 and 66) are outstanding and bump worthy - centering on those two are sweet. The 58 in an 8.5 is just so good it is scary. When did you get the 56? Was that a PWCC or at the Natty? That is not the BBCE one is it?
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Mine is not the best example, but some believe Topps tried to airbrush the offending bat on this card. Since the cards that seem to show less bat handle are scarce, that likely argues against a Topps intervention. But some cards do seem more subtle. Print defect or variation ?

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    KC, I also think the 64 is worthy but thanks for props on the others...the 56 I won in a Probstein or PWCC over a year ago at least. It was my third Mantle.