Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mickey Mantle

Comments

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thx. It is the same card, different holders. Wish I had doubles of it!
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    HOLY CRAP MATTY. That '53 is AMAZING for a 2.5.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Now that is a cool way to display some Mick's.

Matt - always love that 52 Mantle in a 4.5 - looked even better in person at the Louisville Slugger museum.

Last one for me today - have to go coach a kids All star team and work on my tan image

• Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

<< <i>HOLY CRAP MATTY. That '53 is AMAZING for a 2.5. >>

Boy, this thread makes me very nostalgic. Enough so to make me want to pick up a few all time favorites.
  • Options

<< <i>Cannot wait to check the set out, Jeff! See you there.

Favorite Mantles:

image >>

Those are awesome!!!
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Al
  • Options

Al
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mick...24

That is an eye popping sgc-5.5 '53 Mantle. Love it...
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Great cards guys. Here is my favorite Mantle that I own

Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>CW ... that Dan-Dee is AMAZING!
    >>

Thanks, Doug! Likewise on your custom cut auto!
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    my fav 52!

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Judgebuck---Thanks for posting the beautiful Stahl-Meyer Mantle you have. I'm not adroit at putting up photos, but my book on post-war regional / food issues should be released later on in the year. There will be a few photos of some rather nice Mickey Mantle cards, as well as of course, some other great and good players from the book's time frame of "the Golden Era of 1947 - 1971".

A thanks to all of you for taking the time and effort to upload your Mantles. They're fabulous to admire! ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Brian, Looking forward to the book. And, thanks for the encouragement you gave me when I was searching for the Stahl Meyer. I love the oddball Mantles like this one, the 1959 Bazooka, the 1960 Post, and the 1954 Dan Dee. By the way, what a beautiful Dan Dee PSA 5 posted here. Love that card.

Thanks to everyone for the beautiful Mantles.

judgebuck (David)

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    Love my 1960 Post, too. Hope scan isn't too large. Handcut. 7 x 8 3/4. Autographed by the Mick on the back. JSA authenticated. The stuff on the top is on the plastic holder, not the card.
    [URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0003_2.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of Mantle

This might be of interest for those of you attending the National.
  • Options
    Al, I applaud you for working Yaz into this thread twice!

Bob, that Oklahoma Today card is a really cool item I'd never seen before.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    David - A nice item that you hardly ever see. Let's see that auto.

Curt - An AMAZING item and we will NEVER see another!!!!!! PLEASE tell me it was NEVER in the hands of Jose. LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Here is the autograph on the back of the 1960 Post Cereal that I posted yesterday. JSA authenticated. Trying to decide how/where to get it graded. A couple of years ago, PSA told me at the National that it was too big to fit in one of their holders.

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

<< <i>David - A nice item that you hardly ever see. Let's see that auto.

Curt - An AMAZING item and we will NEVER see another!!!!!! PLEASE tell me it was NEVER in the hands of Jose. LOL >>

Doug, it was never in the hands of Jose image I actually bought it raw in a collection several years ago. The owner originally acquired it in the 80s.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    David---

You're most welcome for whatever encouragement that I gave you when you were pondering the matter of laying down some serious dough for your Stahl-Meyer Mantle. The fact you said it was your favorite speaks volumes.

As for your elegant 1960 Post Cereal, what I would also term a sleeping giant, in the two years since PSA refused your plea to do the PSA / DNA encapsulation, I think they do have a holder for it now. It might be their 8 X 10 holder. Get on the phone to PSA customer service with the precise dimensions of your '60 Post and see what they will do for you. I know they have authenticated one example, but I have this hazy memory of them authenticating a '60 Post Mick sans frame. That's right, some idiot cut the entire frame off! Now, the photo of Mr. Mantle is so compellingly beautiful that I will agree it is still attractive. But talk about dismembering a card; this was rather disgusting, to say the least, if not less. Anyway, it's worth a try again to PSA. Since I needed to get my 1960 Post Cereal Mickey Mantle graded/encapsulated for my book cover, I went to PSA first. Sadly, they turned my down, too. But that was back in 2008. I went with SGC. They said yes, then no, then yes, we'll give it a try. It just fit, and looks spectacular. My sincere apologies to Mr. Orlando for mentioning rival SGC; hey Joe, after all, I went to youse guys first, but ...

Thank you for your encouragement to me regarding my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. I sure hope you will enjoy it. Take care, collector bro. --Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

PS---Speaking of difficult Mickey Mantles, fantasy baseball card creator Bob Lemke, the former long-time editor of SCD, recently created an entire 1963 JELL-O Black Raspberry box with a DIFFERENT photograph of Mickey Mantle. He wisely chose the Mantle photo the JELL-O people used on their advertising placards at the store. I love the original dramatic dark background night baseball shot, but the ad photo, with Mickey batting and the glorious white Yankee Stadium arches looming above was simply "perfection". Worth every penny, David. I only have a few Bob Lemke pieces, but they are gorgeous enough to display with my vintage cards---they're that good. OK, I sense verbosity setting in, so I'll shush. Bye.
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    First of all, this has been one of the best threads on this forum. Everyone has posted incredible examples. This is the first time I have ever used my scanner to share anything so we will see what happens. Here are my 3 favorite Mantles that I have picked up in my travels:

[URL=http://s568.photobucket.com/user/dberk12/media/62Mick_zpscpbomq33.png.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s568.photobucket.com/user/dberk12/media/56Mick_zpsslfdn2or.png.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s568.photobucket.com/user/dberk12/media/68Mick_zpsdjiyydec.png.html]image[/URL]

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    Well done Dberk...I bought a real nice addition to my collection at the show today and reviewed 7 others...hope to update later Sunday!!!! Thanks for posting, love the 62!!!
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Was fortunate enough to get this one before the price skyrocketed....

• Options
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    wtf? those have flips!?!?! image

edit: and just saw that 57 cello. major props there!
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was fortunate enough to get this one before the price skyrocketed....

image >>

NICE!!
  • Options
  • Options

Soon to add!!! Gotta love our hobby!!!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do have some Mantles but don't own my favorite and never will.

You guys have posted some beauties! image
    Mike
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    One of my all time favorites.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Soon to add!!! Gotta love our hobby!!! >>

Awesome collection. That 1958 in an 8.5 needs to go on the BST forumimage
  • Options
    Tremendous display Belz. I agree with KendallCat that the '58 Mick jumps off of the screen. Very impressive run of nice looking centered examples. Good luck finishing your run.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    Thx guys. That 58 is my favorite card I've ever owned..smile every time I see it.
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thx guys. That 58 is my favorite card I've ever owned..smile every time I see it. >>

Belz, I would love to see just a solo of that 58 Mantle. That is one seriously awesome card. Great thread, I will try to add a few more soon.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    Hi Matt, nice mantles...I need your 59..sell it to me please..my 58 I need to scan better but it's the one that started this thread.
  • Options
    Your 56 is so sick..
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much I can say about that 56T Matt - just plain perfection!
    Mike
  • Options
    Wow!! That 1956 Topps Mantle PSA 9 is unbelievable!! I'd like to find a well-centered 7, but there is nothing out there right now that I know of. After seeing that card, it makes me fully understand why a 9 is much more expensive than a 7, not just in this card but in most cards. That card is truly my favorite Mantle card of all time.

• Options
    Matt,

That 56 is awesome. Please never sell it!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Matt, the 56 is off the charts awesome. All 3 of those cards display amazing color.
  • Options
    All three Mantles present very well but my favorite is the '59. Solid centering, especially for the year. Bright red background with a crystal clear picture. Considering market value for a PSA 7 that card is a steal. Great cards.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys, this is a fun thread, I hope so more Mantles pop up soon.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Guys, this is a fun thread, I hope so more Mantles pop up soon. >>

I'd be happy to update my display Matt with your 59 image...I did just pick up a 67 so that's coming.
  • Options
    Dust removal on my scanner took away the middle of the 'A' in Mantle on the 67.

I would bet the farm on a few bumps if I ever get around to cracking or reviewing this crop. Most 67s have that annoying red dot. 60s are a mess with PD in the red and blurry focus on Mick. 69s have that notorious heavy tilt. And I put 65 up there with the hardest to find dead centered. So many little idiosyncratic things make pursuing The Mick's cards so challenging and thus satisfying as a collector.

Passed on higher grades of each, in favor of those chosen.

• Options

<< <i>Dust removal on my scanner took away the middle of the 'A' in Mantle on the 67.

I would bet the farm on a few bumps if I ever get around to cracking or reviewing this crop. Most 67s have that annoying red dot. 60s are a mess with PD in the red and blurry focus on Mick. 69s have that notorious heavy tilt. And I put 65 up there with the hardest to find dead centered. So many little idiosyncratic things make pursuing The Mick's cards so challenging and thus satisfying as a collector.

Passed on higher grades of each, in favor of those chosen.

image >>

INLOVE!!!
  • Options
    This just made my day:

• Options
    Super sexy 56 Mantle.

Also nice run of Mantles. I wish I can find a 67 like that one day in an 8.