Home U.S. Coin Forum

What are your thoughts about dip residue on coins?

Should a coin with obvious and decent amount dip residue in a number of places on the coin's surface be slabbed by TPG's? Not talking about a coin turning in the slab but rather a somewhat freshly slabbed coin, and then should the same coin receive CAC green sticker?

I present you this example (having all the aforementioned attributes) for you comment, critique, or support. Interested in your opinions...

What should the owner of this coin do? Send it back to CAC? Send it back to the TPG for review or conservation (and pay additional $$ either way)? Crack and re-dip? ... image

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For this coin, it is GONE. There is no re-dipping and rinsing this one.
    Doing that or sending it to the TPG is not worth it.
    The Luster Layer is damaged, end of story.

I would contact CAC to see if you can get rid of it that way and then find an example you like better.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Dip SUCKS !!
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 1944-D Merk suffered the same fate, I consider it junk now.

But the slab is fine for a place holder in my set.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When will dippers learn to take the time to neutralize the chemical reaction they start? It's not hard to do! image
  • superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭
    I have a 67 ms 1974-s Ike in an ogh with some dip residue. Kills me to crack it out but it seems grade limiting. Why would you use so many years later to remove it or can it be removed?
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen too many four figure coins in first world holders that are slabbed and have dip rinse far worse than this coin. My thoughts? I don't buy them; don't care who slabbed them, their grade, or whether or not they have a sticker.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes...how does a coin like that pass through CAC? Definetly send to them for a buyback.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    You must not submit
    If you cannot dip

You must restore
    Or else be poor

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No excuse for that. Proper neutralizing and rinsing would prevent this. If one does not understand such things, do not attempt it. Cheers, RickO
  • GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No excuse for that. Proper neutralizing and rinsing would prevent this. If one does not understand such things, do not attempt it. Cheers, RickO >>

+1

A properly dipped coin that has not been damaged by the toning should be completely indistinguishable from a coin fresh from the bag (aside from there being a white coin that should not exist white because they tended to not be saved in rolls or bags). Not properly neutralizing the coin is careless and unfortunately is undetectable until months later which explains why some coins that are graded and stickered can turn.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are my thoughts on it? It's the pits. That's what I think of it.

On mostly rare occasions dip residue can re-tone the coin and give it the spectacular colors for which some collectors are willing to pay thousands. It is also often the source of the colorful circulated silver coins that some people find intriguing. The trouble with this potentially happy scenario is that the process keeps going until it eats the coin in the worst cases (I've seen this happen with dipped copper or bronze pieces.) or leaves it with ugly, thick irremovable tarnish that also ruins the coin.

This is one of the problems with buying bright Uncirculated coins in new slabs. You can't tell at that point whether or not the dip, if the coin has been dipped, has been properly neutralized. It's one of the reasons why I feel safer with old slabs. Chances are if the coin has not turned in a number of years, it's stable and won't turn given proper storage.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If I dipped it once, I dipped it a thousand times and look at it shine "
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is one of the problems with buying bright Uncirculated coins in new slabs. You can't tell at that point whether or not the dip, if the coin has been dipped, has been properly neutralized. It's one of the reasons why I feel safer with old slabs. Chances are if the coin has not turned in a number of years, it's stable and won't turn given proper storage. >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It probably looked pristine when it was slabbed & stickered.

That's the real problem with dipping.

Natural (but unsightly) patina --> dip bucket --> grades higher, stickers --> coin turns in holder --> coin is re-submitted for restoration --> coin is re-dipped --> coin gets re-holdered --> coin turns again --> rinse & repeat......

Eventually, all this "conservation" will ruin some coins. Many others will remain stable and be OK, but it's hard to predict what will happen. Sooner or later the music stops and someone is left without a chair to sit in.

It's probably true that doing it "the right way" is better than using poor technique, but even then some coins won't fare so well.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate ugly residue and; if unstable it can be a real problem. If colorful and stable; I'll accept it. But I feel that dipping should only be done in the gravest extreme.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file