Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

U.S. Mint: Jacqueline Kennedy First Spouse Gold Coins Available on Thursday, June 25th...Pop Report

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So maybe 25k proof and 5k ms maybe. Maybe a big promo for john and jackie set, the only such set available in the entire series. >>

Oh yeah - I still have a Gold Kennedy I kept after losing $1,300 on the other five I sold.

If I'm still alive when gold hits $2,000 maybe I'll sell them as a couple?
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a big promo for john and jackie set, the only such set available in the entire series. >>

That would be a neat way to present them. Does PCGS do the multi coin holder still?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does PCGS do the multi coin holder still? >>

I don't believe so. No reference on the web site to multiple coin holders.

• Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for both

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order #03346xxx
    5:45pm EST

One Proof, one Unc.
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So maybe 25k proof and 5k ms maybe. Maybe a big promo for john and jackie set, the only such set available in the entire series. >>

I'd think more MS. Maybe 10k MS and 20k Proof.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

This proof backorder is a first for the Mint at issue date/time for a new product as far as I know.

No, the March of Dimes set was Backordered 20,000 into the process. A friend got back ordered and just received
    them this past week as minting is complete now.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Order #03346xxx
    5:45pm EST
    One Proof, one Unc. >>

Only about 3k away from noon orders. Wow! I thought they'd sell much faster.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't buy, but I'm surprised that so many, including some in this thread, believe that the number sold of this coin will be so much higher than the other First Spouse coins sold recently. I guess I can see some bump in the amount sold vs. the other recent issues (which have been selling only a few thousand each). Just don't see how this one is going to sell 2x, 3x or more than the others. There was similar buzz/hype when the Mary Lincoln coin came out with many saying that one would sell a ton more because of Lincoln collectors, but that simply wasn't the case.

We'll see image I've been surprised before and I will be very surprised if the Jackie Kennedy coins sell anywhere close to double that of the other 2015 issues.

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.

This proof backorder is a first for the Mint at issue date/time for a new product as far as I know.

No, the March of Dimes set was Backordered 20,000 into the process. A friend got back ordered and just received
    them this past week as minting is complete now.

bob >>

Think he was referring to the fact that it went backorder the moment it went on sale. There were 0 available at the time of release.

Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's only 6 Harding proofs left at the mint and I like the reverse a lot better.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I may be wrong but doesn't is seem that the Mint's way of distributing their coins has changed. To me they seem to be better at matching production with demand. Just a feeling though.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to have one of these. My strategy is not to buy one from the mint, as I had done with Jefferson's liberty and the UHR. Rather, I will wait and get a pair of 70s in the aftermarket. May pay a little more, but will be assured a nice coin

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd like to have one of these. My strategy is not to buy one from the mint, as I had done with Jefferson's liberty and the UHR. Rather, I will wait and get a pair of 70s in the aftermarket. May pay a little more, but will be assured a nice coin >>

Good plan, Baley.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't buy, but I'm surprised that so many, including some in this thread, believe that the number sold of this coin will be so much higher than the other First Spouse coins sold recently. I guess I can see some bump in the amount sold vs. the other recent issues (which have been selling only a few thousand each). Just don't see how this one is going to sell 2x, 3x or more than the others. There was similar buzz/hype when the Mary Lincoln coin came out with many saying that one would sell a ton more because of Lincoln collectors, but that simply wasn't the case.

We'll see image I've been surprised before and I will be very surprised if the Jackie Kennedy coins sell anywhere close to double that of the other 2015 issues. >>

Interesting point

You may be right

I cancelled my personal MS order after hitting a pre-sale.

I hope they come through with the coins

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else annoyed with the designer initials out there in the wide open field looking for attention?

Smoe are well hidden on other Spouse coins but not on Jackie's.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting lack of interest here for this coin. Perhaps the mint could crack or double a die or something for renewed interest... image

I was going to pick up a proof to go along with the gold JFK, but put that plan on hold with news the UHR is coming next month. I'd rather put my nickles toward another UHR than the Jackie. (I am wagging the price of the UHR will not be much higher than 2 proof first spouces.) I wonder if that's the reason they pulled the UHR8&9 pages. The sales date for the UHR seems to have gotten more attention than the first spouse release.

With double the mintage (and since it's a Kennedy, probably more like 3x or more than the other FS coins), if I really need to have one, I'll pick one up later. (My example would have to be raw, anyway, I might even get a deal over mint price...)
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't buy, but I'm surprised that so many, including some in this thread, believe that the number sold of this coin will be so much higher than the other First Spouse coins sold recently. I guess I can see some bump in the amount sold vs. the other recent issues (which have been selling only a few thousand each). Just don't see how this one is going to sell 2x, 3x or more than the others. There was similar buzz/hype when the Mary Lincoln coin came out with many saying that one would sell a ton more because of Lincoln collectors, but that simply wasn't the case.

We'll see image I've been surprised before and I will be very surprised if the Jackie Kennedy coins sell anywhere close to double that of the other 2015 issues. >>

First, the OCD crowd will need this coin will go along with the gold 50th JFK coin.

Second, it doesn't need to sell that many before going 2x or 3x of some of the earlier FS coins... image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is the only First Spouse medal that I would like to buy, but I don't want to put $770 or whatever it is into it. >>

What is your reason? Wasn't it you that was kind of critical of the first spouses for not being worthy of any recognition? (or at least some of them). What is Jackie's contribution? Now don't get me wrong, I am not dissing her at all (she seemed like a sweet loving wife and a nice person) but still do not see what great thing (by worldly standards) she did. I know she did not like the accented hair design and that gave us a nice variety to collect but....

That's fine if you do not want to answer Mr Bill. Sometimes we want to for a reason, sometimes we just want to. Didn't mean to put you on the spot but was curious about the reason. If you do not like the price tag you could still look at the bronze version. It is bigger anyway. >>

Because I was young and naive (11 to 14 years old), John Kennedy was the last president I totally admired. He had his flaws, but back then I was too young and inexperienced to see them. I also greatly admired Jackie whom I viewed as beautiful, sophisticated and "classy." Call my interest "nostalgia." It's the reason why I bought the JFK gold half dollar.

With adult eyes there have been presidents that I have despised and disrespected. Two that immediately come to mind are Johnson and Nixon. The kindest thing I can say about Johnson is Jackie Kennedy's nickname for him, "Colonial Corn Pone." I could say worse things, but I'll leave it at that. To me Johnson was the worst president of my lifetime until Obama. Nixon was as Harry Truman put it was a "shifty eyed crook," but at least he knew what he was doing when it came for foreign policy.

As for the rest there is one I admire, one who was incompetent and others that were just there, steeped in various stages of mediocrity. My collection of presidential inaugural medals ends with Reagan and will probably go no further. The inarugural medals before that that I don't have a so rare that I'll probably never have a chance to buy them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>This is the only First Spouse medal that I would like to buy, but I don't want to put $770 or whatever it is into it. >>

What is your reason? Wasn't it you that was kind of critical of the first spouses for not being worthy of any recognition? (or at least some of them). What is Jackie's contribution? Now don't get me wrong, I am not dissing her at all (she seemed like a sweet loving wife and a nice person) but still do not see what great thing (by worldly standards) she did. I know she did not like the accented hair design and that gave us a nice variety to collect but....

That's fine if you do not want to answer Mr Bill. Sometimes we want to for a reason, sometimes we just want to. Didn't mean to put you on the spot but was curious about the reason. If you do not like the price tag you could still look at the bronze version. It is bigger anyway. >>

Because I was young and naive (11 to 14 years old), John Kennedy was the last president I totally admired. He had his flaws, but back then I was too young and inexperienced to see them. I also greatly admired Jackie whom I viewed as beautiful, sophisticated and "classy." Call my interest "nostalgia." It's the reason why I bought the JFK gold half dollar.

With adult eyes there have been presidents that I have despised and disrespected. Two that immediately come to mind are Johnson and Nixon. The kindest thing I can say about Johnson is Jackie Kennedy's nickname for him, "Colonial Corn Pone." I could say worse things, but I'll leave it at that. To me Johnson was the worst president of my lifetime until Obama. Nixon was as Harry Truman put it was a "shifty eyed crook," but at least he knew what he was doing when it came for foreign policy.

As for the rest there is one I admire, one who was incompetent and others that were just there, steeped in various stages of mediocrity. My collection of presidential inaugural medals ends with Reagan and will probably go no further. The inarugural medals before that that I don't have a so rare that I'll probably never have a chance to buy them. >>

So much of a president's legacy has to do with whether or not his party also controls Congress, and/or if he can at least work with Congress. Though Johnson and Nixon have very tarnished reputations, they signed an amazing number of important bills into law that we still benefit from today. If it weren't for Vietnam, they might sit right up there at the top of the great presidents list.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>So much of a president's legacy has to do with whether or not his party also controls Congress, and/or if he can at least work with Congress. Though Johnson and Nixon have very tarnished reputations, they signed an amazing number of important bills into law that we still benefit from today. If it weren't for Vietnam, they might sit right up there at the top of the great presidents list. >>

You and I will disagree over Johnson's "Great Society" program. It made it much more attractive not to work and live off of government programs, and statistics show that it did nothing to reduce the number of people whose incomes are below the poverty level to this day.

Many young men of my generation died or were permanently maimed by the Viet Nam War. It was a pointless war with provided this country with no benefits. In turn, for a small investment, it was the most effective war China and Soviet Union ever waged on The United State. It was an example of "Colonel Corn Pone" at his worst and his dumbest. I despise and blame Johnson to this day for it.

You forgot to mention Watergate which brought Nixon down. It was only one of the many illegal things he did as president. He cheated on his income taxes too, and got off with it when Ford issued his pardon.

Nixon had an attitude that he was a kind of monarch who was above the law. His arrogance and hubris came through in the way he handled domestic public policy. Because of his foreign policy achievements with China and the Soviet Union, it would be a mistake to label him as "a failure," but his dishonesty and arrogance definitely rank him as "below average."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I was going to post about the Jackie coin, But quickly realized I was in a political forum; so,sorry, carry on.......
  • Options
    Jacqueline Kennedy First Spouse Gold Coin Sales Reach 10,894

As posted on Mint News Blog

"The specific breakdown of sales was 7,102 proof coins and 3,792 uncirculated coins."

No information in the post regarding the opening B/O status of the proof.

• Options
    The coins are now on "back order" with an estimated delivery time of September 1, 2015.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone else annoyed with the designer initials out there in the wide open field looking for attention?

Smoe are well hidden on other Spouse coins but not on Jackie's. >>

Doesn't appear to be much different than some of the previous First Spouse series.

The font size seems appropriate from what I see.

Could you post an example of a hidden designer initials?
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    Although my orders for one proof and one unc have shown as back order from the start, my credit card has been charged for the full amount?

Usually the order status changes to in process before the card is charged. Anyone else have the same situation? Does this mean they are planning on shipping on Monday?
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    My order History shows cost for the Unc of $770 but $0 for the PF. Processing status.

CC showed previously full charge for both in pending status but just now checking the pending charge is gone and no active charge from the Mint.

Your CC may show under pending rather than active.

• Options

<< <i>My order History shows cost for the Unc of $770 but $0 for the PF. Processing status.

CC showed previously full charge for both in pending status but just now checking the pending charge is gone and no active charge from the Mint.

Your CC may show under pending rather than active. >>

Mine as well. Must be a system glitch on the proofs

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Does anyone have new sales numbers?
  • Options
    Has anyone received shipping confirmation of Jackie coins?

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Jackie proof came up showing Backordered immediately after the sale opened.

Does that mean they didn't have any mintage standing by, and they just wanted to see what the demand would be before they went into production for the proofs?

If so, I hadn't seen that before.

If not, how did they entire standby mintage get purchased in the first 60 seconds of the sale?
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    Just cancelled my order. Decided to wait for a couple of graded First Strike 70's. I would rather pay the extra than risk a 69 or missed cutoff deadline.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options

<< <i>If not, how did they entire standby mintage get purchased in the first 60 seconds of the sale? >>

It wasnt the first 60 seconds. It was the first second or two. It was instantly on backorder.

• Options
    Preliminary totals out:

6/28/2015...JQ5...2015 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - KENNEDY...7,936
    6/28/2015...JQ6...2015 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - KENNEDY.......4,072

These total subject to change before Tuesday's official numbers...
  • Options

<< <i>Just cancelled my order. Decided to wait for a couple of graded First Strike 70's. I would rather pay the extra than risk a 69 or missed cutoff deadline. >>

Good call, Burnie. These didn't have the pop I thought they might have had with the flipping crowd.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone received shipping confirmation of Jackie coins?

- Ian >>

Apparently the cancellation of my MS order did not go right, so mine will be here tomorrow.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone received shipping confirmation of Jackie coins?

- Ian >>

Apparently the cancellation of my MS order did not go right, so mine will be here tomorrow. >>

Yeah, I noticed when you cancel over the phone I received no confirmation email nor does it show as cancelled online.

"New"/Old Mint policy: Keep 'em guessing!
  • Options
    Got ship conf for my two uncs a few hours ago
  • Options
    Thanks. I got some shipping confirmations just now. Not showing in UPS yet, but a good first step.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    It's interesting how they will split up orders into multiple packages.
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    MCM was showing a ship date as July 2 for NGC graded coins. How in the hell do they not only have the coins back from the mint but also GRADED and expected shipping on July 2nd when this thing was backordered from the first second it was on sale.

Did the mint allow the authorized purchasers, who already get a discount, to also gobble up all supply before it went on sale to the public?

Link

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MCM was showing a ship date as July 2 for NGC graded coins. How in the hell do they not only have the coins back from the mint but also GRADED and expected shipping on July 2nd when this thing was backordered from the first second it was on sale.

Did the mint allow the authorized purchasers, who already get a discount, to also gobble up all supply before it went on sale to the public?

Link >>

They probably ship straight to NGC from the mint for one thing.. express.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, did MCM buy up the whole run of proofs in the first second??
  • Options
    No, MCM is just one of the big dealers that was able to buy them before they were available to the public. The proofs were listed as "Backordered" before 12pm EST when they were supposed to go on sale. Yet somehow MCM and CoinVault have them graded already:

CoinVault "First Day of Issue" NGC PF70
  • Options
    My order went from Backordered to Processing.

Looks like First Strike may be a possibility.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, mine went to "Processing" as well.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great series. No matter what we call 'em.
  • Options

<< <i>So, did MCM buy up the whole run of proofs in the first second?? >>

They only bought between 525-550 total (including both pr and ms)

• Options
    My PF also went to Processing. Fingers crossed it goes to shipped before the long holiday weekend...or...it won't happen before Monday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file