Home U.S. Coin Forum

U.S. Mint: Jacqueline Kennedy First Spouse Gold Coins Available on Thursday, June 25th...Pop Report

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
First Spouse collectors.....is this coin a key to the series?

I'm 50/50 on this one.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

WASHINGTON-The United States Mint will accept orders for the 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Coins - Jacqueline Kennedy starting June 25 at noon Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).

The obverse (heads side) design features a portrait of Mrs. Kennedy with the inscriptions "JACQUELINE KENNEDY," "IN GOD WE TRUST," "LIBERTY," "W," "2015," "35th," and "1961-1963."

The reverse design features the species of saucer magnolia Mrs. Kennedy chose to be planted in a White House garden and near the eternal flame at her husband's grave in Arlington National Cemetery. The petals stretch across the globe, its tips connecting the points of some of her most notable diplomatic visits. Inscriptions on the reverse are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "E PLURIBUS UNUM," "$10," "1/2 OZ.," and ".9999 FINE GOLD."

The Jacqueline Kennedy First Spouse Gold Coins are being struck at the United States Mint at West Point in proof (product code JQ5) and uncirculated (product code JQ6) qualities. Mintage will be limited to no more than 30,000 units across all product options, with customer demand determining the ratio of proof coins to uncirculated coins produced.

Pricing for these coins will be based on the United States Mint pricing structure for numismatic products containing gold, available at the U.S. Mint.

imageimage

imageimage

Mint Link

Comments

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty portrait. I not sure what the point of the flower is.

I'm in, as usual.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I've recently reviewed some of the candidate designs for Nancy Reagan , and you know what? That woman was a babe. Good ole Ronnie
    sure knew how to pick em. image

Jackie is going to be high mintage. I think I'm in for Nancy instead.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty portrait.

Indeed.....I needed someone else to say it. image
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Best portrait to date IMHO.

WARNING - WARNING - WARNING

I will buy one so expect the prices to tank
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    I thought I was going to buy, but will probably pass. If I really want one later on I will get it in the aftermarket.

There will be no Reagan. Nixon and Ford will be the last presidents in the series. Seems odd they will only produce two next year.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The initial hysteria, the scramble for 70's and flippers a flippin', the angst over slow mint orders being filled, the speculations; none of those will overshadow her beauty.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will be anything but a key. It might still hold it's value, but I would expect they'll produce 10x of these over the ugly ones.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

<< <i>The initial hysteria, the scramble for 70's and flippers a flippin', the angst over slow mint orders being filled, the speculations; none of those will overshadow her beauty. >>

Only you, Miles......feelin' it. image
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There will be no Reagan. Nixon and Ford will be the last presidents in the series. Seems odd they will only produce two next year. >>

Especially since a Nancy Reagan First Spouse coin is planned.

Edited to add: Looks like there will be a Reagan coin after all. Link.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Will this "Jackie O" modern gold First Spouse issue exhibit 'irrational exuberance' in coin sales next week?.....I say yes! image
    I actually do like the Look of the Jackie Coin but the idea of an inflated mintage isnt appealing at all. This
    one will likely go for bullion prices just like the Gold Kennedy Half. How sad - Camelot bullion.

What I do plan to get is the Jackie FS Bronze Medal. That one should be a blazer. Nice and .... ahem ...

affordable. image
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass...too many made.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've recently reviewed some of the candidate designs for Nancy Reagan , and you know what? That woman was a babe. Good ole Ronnie
    sure knew how to pick em. image

Jackie is going to be high mintage. I think I'm in for Nancy instead. >>

Nancy Reagan knows a bit about numismatics, she gave Ronnie a 1911 dated $20 for his 75th birthday in 1986, also managed to keep him off the dime. The Reagans are a couple I despised when they were in the White House, but now all these years later one cannot help but recognize that he was the last real American president. And no one can challenge that the Reagans truly loved one another.

That said I am going for the Nancy Reagan coin next year, Jackie is lovely but there will be too many.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accented hair?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

<< <i>Accented hair? >>

Now that would make this Jackie O issue the cats meow. image

The 2015 Jacqueline Kennedy One–Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin is the third release in the 2015 First Spouse Gold Coin Series. This gold coin is one-half ounce of 24–karat gold minted with a proof finish, giving it a frosted foreground and a mirror–like background.

Perfect for collecting and display, this coin is encapsulated and packaged in a custom–designed, highly polished, dome–chested, lacquered hardwood presentation case and is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity.

The obverse (heads) features a portrait of Jacqueline Kennedy.

The reverse (tails) depict the species of saucer magnolia Mrs. Kennedy chose to be planted in a White House garden and near the eternal flame at her husband’s grave in Arlington National Cemetery. The petals stretch across the globe, its tips connecting the points of some of her most notable diplomatic visits.

This marks the ninth year of the First Spouse Gold Coin Series, the U.S. Mint’s first coin program to feature our nation’s first spouses. A minimum of four one–half ounce, $10 24–karat gold coins will be minted and released annually in the order the spouses served in the position. The coins are minted with proof and uncirculated finishes and are available individually.

Each First Spouse Gold Coin coincides with the release of the corresponding circulating Presidential $1 Coin. In 2015, the U.S. Mint will release four coins in the series honoring Bess Truman, Mamie Eisenhower, Jacqueline Kennedy and Lady Bird Johnson.

Three more days until issue.....who's buying?

Jackie O Mint Link
    $790

Goes off tomorrow at noon.
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna try. Alarm set for 5:30 (11:30 EDT)

Now $770

Was $790 yesterday.
    Dupe
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now $770

Was $790 yesterday. >>

Proof is 790, MS is 770.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
    USM033434xx 12:00 order time. No hang ups or delays.

Proof showed "Back-ordered" from the get go @ 12:00
    Unc shows "Add To Bag"

Showing 9:02

USM033436XX

Instant backorder on the proofs????!

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • daverickeydaverickey Posts: 53 ✭✭
    USM033436xx backorder on proof at 9:01 am Pacific Time?!
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>USM033434xx 12:00 order time. No hang ups or delays.

Proof showed "Back-ordered" from the get go @ 12:00
    Unc shows "Add To Bag" >>

Wazzup with the proof. No prob buying the UNC. ?????
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    No problems buying either but at 9am (12:00 mint time) the proof was instantly backordered. Unc is available though.

Unc orders, both 12:08 a few seconds apart...

03344xxx

Orders were separated by 20.

This proof backorder is a first for the Mint at issue date/time for a new product as far as I know.

Love how the phone sysem says that the proof and unc are available.
    Based on this thread, interest seems to be low even amongst us.
    ok. I bought a proof incase of a sellout which I doubt.

<< <i>Based on this thread, interest seems to be low even amongst us. >>

Quite a few on here said they were taking a pass on this one. The instant B/O shown on the proof is baffling. Was there an available supply @ zero hour? Or the available quantity grabbed up in the first seconds? Looking for the blog reports to shed some light possibly later today.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USM033435xx for both, almost immediately after 12:00 EDT.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe age & buffs slowed production

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else? Bought 1 Unc., went to my bank's site to see if the cc was hit and it is showing two separate pending transactions for the full amount.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    So the long awaited Kennedy Spouse coin has finally arrived for the drooling tabloid crowd. Good luck on the flips. Better make them quick.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    No flipping here!

I'm looking for myself

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    I hear the sales outlet in DC has a long line. I'm wondering if the Bus People are being paid again?

With enough media hype this could be a really HOTT issue. 30,000 is a low mintage compared to 50K for the Baseball HOF
    and 75K for the JFK Gold.

All it's gonna take is a news clip of frantic line standers at Mint Headquarters.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Proof showed "Back-ordered" from the get go @ 12:00
    Unc shows "Add To Bag" >>

I wonder of some sizable bulk orders were placed immediately for proofs. Many non-collector Kennedy fans will want this coin, and likely will gravitate toward the proof version simply because it looks so much nicer.

For recent First Spouse coins, proofs have only slightly outsold uncs., by a factor of 4 to 3 or less. I expect the Jackie ratio to be at least 2 to 1 in favor of the proofs, and possibly higher.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>So the long awaited Kennedy Spouse coin has finally arrived for the drooling tabloid crowd. Good luck on the flips. Better make them quick. >>

Not flipping, completing the entire set like a lunatic

Surely the Mint anticipated higher demand on these and will make more than the others. If the low mintage queen on these is the goal I suspect you will find it elsewhere. If you just want to gaze at the attractive Jackie-O in gold, well that is another thing.
    Not flipping, completing the entire set like a lunatic >>

Wow, now that takes perseverance. I tried but pooped out when they went over 800 or so.
    CC shows full amount pending despite proof being on B/O. They normally only charge CC just prior to shipping. Hmmmmm?

I was going to pass but really don't have a clue how popular it will be. I can always cancel or return it if I find the psgs 70s FS are going cheap.

<< <i>ok. I bought a proof incase of a sellout which I doubt. >>

they have a high mintage limit, I wouldn't count on a sell out -- especially any time soon.

<< <i>I was going to pass but really don't have a clue how popular it will be. I can always cancel or return it if I find the psgs 70s FS are going cheap. >>

I expect there will be many who try to flip and will make for cheap 70s. Just in case, I got my order in so I could make my own.

I was going to pass and well, I think there is no change yet.
    Both Proof & Unc show B/O on the First Spouse Coins main page.
    LINK
    On my order history it shows "Processing". The order details shows $0 for the Proof and $770 for the Unc. CC still shows pending for full amount of one each.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the only First Spouse medal that I would like to buy, but I don't want to put $770 or whatever it is into it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    So maybe 25k proof and 5k ms maybe. Maybe a big promo for john and jackie set, the only such set available in the entire series.

<< <i>This is the only First Spouse medal that I would like to buy, but I don't want to put $770 or whatever it is into it. >>

What is your reason? Wasn't it you that was kind of critical of the first spouses for not being worthy of any recognition? (or at least some of them). What is Jackie's contribution? Now don't get me wrong, I am not dissing her at all (she seemed like a sweet loving wife and a nice person) but still do not see what great thing (by worldly standards) she did. I know she did not like the accented hair design and that gave us a nice variety to collect but....

That's fine if you do not want to answer Mr Bill. Sometimes we want to for a reason, sometimes we just want to. Didn't mean to put you on the spot but was curious about the reason. If you do not like the price tag you could still look at the bronze version. It is bigger anyway.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought one proof and one unc, both on back order.

I already have a Jefferson 1st Spouse for my type set, so I don't know what I'll do with these. Probably send them to PCGS so I can give them away to the nice people on eBay at a steep discount.

I finally sold my MS70 US Marshall for an $11.33 profit, so I'm flush with funds image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file