Home Precious Metals
Options

Who's all in for the gold iWatch?

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's GOLD and just $4,000!

Or would you rather have three of these...

and a...

image?

Comments

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Yo Renman, where did you get the $4000 price from?
    I think the iWatch series will be another smash hit for Apple….maybe the stock is already reflecting that.
    Don't know about this high end model…the entry level ones start at $395 according to Apple.
    I have not seen any reports on prices for the two higher level models so I was wondering where your number came from.
    Too rich for me to even think of this high end model.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting people to actually wear a watch in 2015? I mean seriously image a watch,

Should we resurrect other useless things ? like carrying snotrags around ? , drive-in movies? Bell bottoms? bottles of old spice for christmas? Maybe I'll just run out and buy some lederhosen and start smoking a pipe too.

Everyone that they think will buy one probably already has an i-phone which tells time already why would they need a watch?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Getting people to actually wear a watch in 2015? I mean seriously image a watch,

Should we resurrect other useless things ? like carrying snotrags around ? , drive-in movies? Bell bottoms? bottles of old spice for christmas? Maybe I'll just run out and buy some lederhosen and start smoking a pipe too.

Everyone that they think will buy one probably already has an i-phone which tells time already why would they need a watch? >>

why do we *need* anything? yeah, a watch is old fashioned and not very useful, unlike a gold coin, which is something very newfangled and useful?

hey baseball!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Getting people to actually wear a watch in 2015? I mean seriously image a watch,

Everyone that they think will buy one probably already has an i-phone which tells time already why would they need a watch? >>

why do we *need* anything? yeah, a watch is old fashioned and not very useful, unlike a gold coin, which is something very newfangled and useful?

hey baseball! >>

The iStuff is trendy , gold coins aren't that. Unless of course apple "invents" the iCoin , then idiots will camp out to buy them like its something new , like a watch is new or a cellphone. The iCoin will start small I bet because smaller is hipper. Then by the iCoin6 it will be 12 inches in diameter and all these guys will wear them on chains around thier necks.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yo Renman, where did you get the $4000 price from?
    I think the iWatch series will be another smash hit for Apple….maybe the stock is already reflecting that.
    Don't know about this high end model…the entry level ones start at $395 according to Apple.
    I have not seen any reports on prices for the two higher level models so I was wondering where your number came from.
    Too rich for me to even think of this high end model. >>

Here but that $4000 is just a swag. It's sort of premature to suggest that iWatch sales/profits are already factored into the current stock price of AAPl, no?

It looks like future sales COULD be affecting the Apple stock price.
  • Options
    "Everyone that they think will buy one probably already has an i-phone which tells time already why would they need a watch? "

With all due respect, and nothing peronal meant at all, but.....asking this question reveals you do not know what an iWatch is.
    Just sayin.

"It's sort of premature to suggest that iWatch sales/profits are already factored into the current stock price of AAPl, no? "

It is reportedly the reason GRMN stock price is getting hammered down already.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, I still wear a watch and I carry a handkerchief everyday.
    I guess I am out of touch.
  • Options

<< <i>Dang, I still wear a watch and I carry a handkerchief everyday.
    I guess I am out of touch. >>

Perhaps I was being overly sarcastic . image

I own a watch myself It's at least 10 years old though and I don't see why I would need to buy another in the next few decades.

Somehow I get the feeling that apple doesn't want people that will buy an iWatch every 30 years though. If the iPhone strategy is any indicator they are looking for people that absolutely need a new watch every 6 to 12 months.

It just seems a little far fetched but that sort thinking is common in companies that are in their death throes image For another example I give you "windows 8"

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few watches, just put a battery in one this weekend actually and let it bling on the wrist yesterday. Besides the wedding ring that's about it for jewelry that you'll see on this guy. I know a lot of folks who wear a watch as functional fashion.

If I were going to drop some actual coin on a watch, it would be a Rolex or Omega way over the iwatch.
  • Options
    I'll take the 3 AGE's and the Timex, thank you!
    BST References upon request... Have Ebay rating of 3100+ w/100% positive FB.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would feel naked w/o my Seiko watch. I'll take the gold and give the Timex to one of my grand kids.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    you do not know what an iWatch is.

can you use it to help figure out the tip?

Morty: "Helen, Jerry got me a hot Wizard computer!"
    Helen: "I'm right here."
    Jerry: "And you can do everything with it. You can get e-mail, fax, there's a
    calculator."
    Morty: "So, I can use it in the restaurant to figure out the tip?"
    Jerry: "Yeah, I guess. But the really cool thing is the daily planner."
    Morty: "Helen, we got into restaurants and figure out the tips."
    Helen: "Jerry, you're getting your father too excited."

• Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Nothing gets between my Omega Seamaster and me! image
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Nothing gets between my Omega Seamaster and me!

Likewise.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an Omega Seamaster and I use a handkerchief.....however, I would not buy an iWatch.... the gold coins for me. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

When you talk about the Seamaster thats a line of watches that has been produced for over 50 years. People swear by them or they have some similar one that they swear by.

Apple will never ever make anything like that. The last thing they want in a customer is someone that buys a single thing and goes away.

There business model is the crack dealer mentality. They would prefer to sell you things that break , or become obsolete rapidly so you have to keep spending forever.

Plus they want to use you like a dairy cow and milk you of your data so they can monetize everything about you.

Our economy isn't built around long lasting heirloom type products anymore its all trash none of it is meant to last.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take the watch. I'm a collector at heart after all.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A watch containing two troy ounces of gold would likely weigh over three ounces. I think that would feel a bit heavy if worn on your wrist all day.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>A watch containing two troy ounces of gold would likely weigh over three ounces. I think that would feel a bit heavy if worn on your wrist all day. >>

18K gold Rolex GMT weighs 150g

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>I'd take the watch. I'm a collector at heart after all.

MJ >>

A lot of them will likely be sold for just that reason. Buy a gold one to stash, the el cheapo to wear.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased my Omega Seamaster in 1972.....It still keeps perfect time and looks great..... will not buy an iWatch.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Hey I wear a watch. Wife bought it for me, 18k gold Rolex

At 60 years old I use snotrags although I prefer paper towels

No such thing as a drive in movie here

Only short pants worn here so............

Old spice now comes in plastic. Not the same but would use it ( on occasion ) if it was the original

I smoke a pipe too but not the kind you are referring to heh heh image

In fact that reminds me.............

• Options
    it would be cheaper to just swallow a tracking device and be done with it. image

iwatch does some really neat things. It is much more than just a timepiece. Unfortunately, much more includes invasion of my privacy. Sticking with my cheapo.

• Options
    Apple patented gold alloy to reduce price of gold edition.

Now expected to contain about half an ounce of gold plus whatever the band will hold.

The Apple alloy

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't wear it if it were given to me, although I'm sure some will, I just don't think it will be a big hit for apple, maybe even a flop...time will tell.
  • Options
    When there is a version that's a couple hundred bucks, and is a really nice compact design that looks and feels good, and the watch part has certain phone functions like hands free voice, and at-a-glance headlines and price quotes and sports scores, then sure, I'll get a smart watch (not necessarily Apple, maybe Samsung) being a late-adopter has advantages

• Options

<< <i>Wouldn't wear it if it were given to me, although I'm sure some will, I just don't think it will be a big hit for apple, maybe even a flop...time will tell. >>

Well, I would definitely wear one if someone gave me one.
    Wow, stock up 2% today as I type this!
    To each his/her own I guess.
  • Options
    Down a half % as I type this. Whatever was said must have been very short lived.
  • Options

<< <i>Down a half % as I type this. Whatever was said must have been very short lived. >>

Agree….starting to act like the PM market now!
    Not a good sign!
  • Options
    Watch might be smart, but only a dummy will pay $10K unless they think it's an investment.
  • Options
    About that iGold ummmmmmmmmmmm image

Just for clarification because its never occurred to me to think of it before but in reading all that I note 75% gold by Mass

Gold is very dense , ceramic not so much so if your 18k gold is techno -ceramic- substrate infused with gold atoms its not what I think of as 18k.

18k to me is gold and another metal not this mumbo jumbo . Gold plus copper or silver usually not a matrix with gold atoms sprinkled in it

• Options
    Short battery life will be the iWatch's downfall.

• Options

<< <i>Watch might be smart, but only a dummy will pay $10K unless they think it's an investment. >>

Status symbol

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only buy fruit of the loom because it's a Berkshire company. If I were to buy an 18K gold iWatch… it would be at "pawn star" prices. image
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Watch might be smart, but only a dummy will pay $10K unless they think it's an investment. >>

How much did the first Apple computer recently sell for?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>

How much did the first Apple computer recently sell for? >>

A chitload a money, but how many people will have access to the first iwatch. I doubt that you are me will have much chance. Was that the prototype computer or was it the first commercially available one?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

A chitload a money, but how many people will have access to the first iwatch. I doubt that you are me will have much chance. Was that the prototype computer or was it the first commercially available one? >>

I think it was kind of both. But I do doubt a gold iwatch will sell for $1,000,000 in 40 years. For 10k, i'd rather than a Rolex. Its almost like buying a mid-grade classic coin or a top pop modern. Im going classic.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our team at work will have at least one around in the office. Well, we've been approved to get at least one as part of our technology stewardship to see if we can do anything with it. Not the gold one but just the cheapest one.

Realistically....my old boss will have it as a hipster toy on the company dime, ha!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

A chitload a money, but how many people will have access to the first iwatch. I doubt that you are me will have much chance. Was that the prototype computer or was it the first commercially available one? >>

I think it was kind of both. But I do doubt a gold iwatch will sell for $1,000,000 in 40 years. For 10k, i'd rather than a Rolex. Its almost like buying a mid-grade classic coin or a top pop modern. Im going classic. >>

Be nice if one could prove he had one of the first 5 sold. There must be quite a few prototypes floating around the shop tho.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    An iWatch that's really a miniature computer with a 1 inch screen. Seriously? Does it come with a 5X magnifier too?
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options

The technobabble about 75% gold by mass is the scam, an 18k lump of 18k iGold will not have to resemble what most think of when they picture 18k gold because nothing in the patent states the remainder has to be metal.

Even if it is metallic the specific gravity of gold is around 19 , the extra 25% will not be a dense metal like silver or copper , no doubt will be a very light material like aluminum or beryllium . You can really bulk an item up if the 25% that isn't gold is a substance 10 times or 15 times less dense than gold.

By mass 75% gold could be less than 10% by volume if gold if they feel like it. How about a scaffold of carbon nanotubes and aluminum with a thin skin of gold.

If there was a current patent for "gold filled" iGold would probably violate it

• Options
    "Be nice if one could prove he had one of the first 5 sold"

Yeah, like the First Strike or Early Release bs with modern coins.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in my shop, I would have to disassemble it for an accurate weight and assay it, before I'd purchase it, and then scrap it image

Second hand goods made of precious metal are like that.
  • Options

I heard a rumor today that the big watch makers are banding together to come out with a strong response to the iWatch and it will actually have a phone in it.

Here is a leaked photo of the prototype

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may go for the $399 version.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>I may go for the $399 version. >>

Same here....amazing technology.
    Every Apple product our family has purchased has exceeded our wildest dreams.
    Most schools in our area require iPads and students do just about all their homework on it and many of their textbooks are on it also.
    And it is wonderful to carry thousands of songs, my entire music library in my pocket on our iPods...great for hiking, plane rides etc.
    The iPhones are now indispensible for most people.
    The iWatch is a welcomed addition from an amazing company!
  • Options
    i'll wait until they develop an iBattery for them.

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    It is not "iWatch." It's just "Apple Watch." I imagine they didn't follow the i-naming convention because the widget only works in conjunction with another Apple product - the iPhone.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dinky screen, limited battery life and the fact that many don't like wearing watches makes me think this will go the way of Google glasses. Cool the first ten times you use it, then you realize it isn't really all that good at what it's supposed to do.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012