Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you or will you overpay for the last coin you need for a complete set?

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people last for years with one hole waiting on the right coin at the right price, while others pay moon money to plug that hole.

Do you have will power, or will you overpay for that last coin you need to complete a set?

Doug

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> will you overpay >>

Yes I willimage
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> will you overpay >>

Yes I willimage >>

+1
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup, it may have just recently happened.image

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah. I hated paying $220 for a '81 type 2 proof SBA.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Lol. Glad to know I'm not alone.

I went about three years with only a 15-s needed to complete my basic Lincoln set, and passed on several during that time and many more in the years before that. But, I can't deny that there was a lot of self imposed pressure to pull the trigger when one in the grade I wanted came up for sale. It's a tough date to find nice. I felt pressure to buy a lesser grade, even to overpay for a lesser grade just to fill the hole. It seemed so much easier to pass on them until I got down to that last hole. I finally found one about a year ago and bought it. It's nice for the grade and fits my set, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get my money back on it if I sold it image

I have two other sets now in a similar situation. With one, a coin is coming up for auction in the grade I want, but the about average for the grade. In looking at the current bid and the number of trackers, it looks to go for more than I would probably like to pay. In the other set, there is a nice coin in a dealer's inventory but at about 2.5x what they have publicly sold for. It's frustrating.
    Doug
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Yes I would love to overpay for the last hole !!
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've over paid for many coins just to have them. Who knows
    when the next opportunity to purchase said coin will present
    itself. At this point in time I do not plan on selling my collection
    and possibly lose money; but who knows what the future holds.
    The pleasure of owning has to be worth something.
  • Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've over paid for many coins just to have them. Who knows
    The pleasure of owning has to be worth something. >>

+1
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid way over market for one I needed last year!
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will wait it out, I have more time than money.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've over paid for many coins just to have them. Who knows
    The pleasure of owning has to be worth something. >>

+2
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't stopped spending stupid money yet.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found that starting with the most difficult dates makes more sense. The last coin that I buy will be very common.

OINK
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was lucky that when a stopper for my set came available a couple of years ago, I was able to buy it for a fair price. Truth be told, you could have dropped a crooked number in front of what I paid or maybe even a zero on the end of it and I would have ponied up.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    OINK you are so right about starting the search for the tough dates early. I think there are so many sleepers in the Lincoln basic set that this is still a drawn out process. I upgraded many coins even in the same grade while I waited on the right ones in tough dates and grades. It's often been said that patience is the key to building a great collection, and recognizing rare opportunities to acquire great coins don't come around often. Top collectors can wait decades for the coin they want in their set. Look at the confederate cent at Heritage. It could be 10 or more years before another comes up.

Many Lincoln collectors give up on the S mints in the teens and twenties and "settle" for a coin they are not happy with or one that doesn't fit their set. Kudos for paying up for a truly rare coin when it comes available. I have paid a premium for many when the coin is all there and don't have the remorse I have when I "steal" an average or lower quality coin. That's where my remorse coins reside. It's just that the last coin has the added pressure of giving you the satisfaction of completion that no other coin in the set can give you. It's a unique feeling in the collecting process!

ACR -- you suck!
    Doug
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vegas show a few years ago. Last Morgan date was the 1889-CC. Found one that had a super look. Just a VF20, but a great look and from a dealer I still love and have a great respect for (one of the few here with a 'rank'). Paid waaaaayyyy up at the time, but it was the culmination of a Morgan set that would put me in the top 50 on the Registry. Did it . . . . . . . .

Well . . . now the set is basically gone. No problems, just knew it was not going to rise any farther up the Registry. Had some great pieces and sold and did well.

Except my 1889-CC.

Still have it. One of my last two keys -- have been setting up at shows and dropped the price continually for two years -- still no one looking.

Was my last coin. It will also be the last coin I die with . . . . .

Drunner

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the last coin? image

How about on most of them--at least compared to sheet. (I don't personally think that I overpaid for them since they were worth the paid price TO ME.)
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    I just know the "last coin" is usually the most expensive, but not always. A 1942/1 Mercury dime was mine, for the last set in a Capital holder. Whatever the customer wanted, he got. image

Now that's a stroke of luck, but if I had to GO FIND it, there's no question most of us will have to "STEP" up when the opportunity presents itself. That is, IF one really , truly wants it and the time is typically irrelevant as are finances. when we (boys) want our toys.
    The "stars" usually have to come into alignment for most of us. Or shall I say, the "lucky stars". As I see it, most serious collectors will answer YES to this question.

That's why my first post said "I'm not finished spending stupid money" image It's kind of what I've been doing wrong all my life image
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have found that starting with the most difficult dates makes more sense. The last coin that I buy will be very common.

OINK >>

This
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last couple of holes are out of my collecting realm 10k+ for problem free coins and I'm not going there this late in the game. ( Heirs have no interest in collecting coins except as money.)
    1815 & 1794 Half Dollars are just a little too much. Did it on the new Kennedy's just the other day on the Modern Commemorative set though, but the water there is not as deep.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have found that starting with the most difficult dates makes more sense. The last coin that I buy will be very common.

OINK >>

This >>

Let me just make another comment or two based solely on my experience regarding this. My sets have all been 10+ years in the making. It may take that long for the right coin for your set to come up in those stopper dates. While you are doing that it makes sense to pick up common dates as they come along and look really good. My most beautiful coins are common dates, but the grade rarity and eye appeal make them an extreme pleasure to own and at a very reasonable price. Nevertheless, your key dates are going to be the centerpiece of your collection and finding the right ones are going to take time, money and relationships.

Also, you can spend a lot of time trying to find beautiful coins in the common dates. Mass production of some dates and eras did not produce beautiful coins, and Registry set demands on TPG's have caused serious overgrading for some dates like the P mint Lincolns from the late 40's and early 50's in MS65, 66, and even 67.

Lack of patience has produced my most regrettable purchases, whether the money was strong or cheap for the grade.
    Doug
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I usually suggest is the collector think about (1) how long have you been looking for the coin, and (2) how long will it take you to find another one that's better, or better priced, etc.

When I was a collector, for two sets it took ten years to find the last coin. One was a bargain, the other I overpaid. Ten years is a long time to look for a coin.

At a show a few years ago, a collector found a coin at my table that was exactly what he was looking for. Problem is he wanted to pay $500 and I needed $600 for it. I asked him how long he had been looking for the coin. Five years. He didn't buy the coin which of course is OK as it is his collection and he can decide what he wants to buy or not buy. But when I was a collector, I would have bought the coin for the extra $100 if I had been looking for it for 5 years.

I have had sets that I approached by buying the most difficult dates first. Thus the last coin(s) will be common, and there is no need to overpay for them. In fact, for one set the last 5 coins were so common that I decided not to buy them as they wouldn't have added anything to the set except getting closer to completeness. That set I was missing two ultra-rarities that meant that the set would never be completed.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't do set's so I will sit and wait till I find the right one for the right price. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago I was on a quest to put together a classic commem set in 1st gen PCGS holders. I finally found a Hawaiian in MS-61 and paid 64 money for it to complete the set.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    jy8sjy8s Posts: 113 ✭✭
    I like the question!

As I am working through my collection, I am like the OP. I have been watching the coins that are readily available and appear in almost every major auction/show and you can really "choose" the one that calls to you. What I have found fascinating is the other coins, the early D's and S's for Lincolns (pre-1930), how strike and color becomes an interesting study and hides the true keys. Overlay the original look for a date and how that changes as compared to coins that have been cleaned decades ago and now have retoned. Throw in die varieties, rpm's, DDO's, DDR's, clashed dies to spice up the collection and you realize the last one is not there, it has become a shell game within the coins you collect as to which is the "last" one. I think I have bought the "last" one a number of times!

Regarding overpaying, I will "overpay" on coins that don't come available every collecting cycle (peak and valley). I don't like to think of it as overpaying but paying what I feel the coin is worth based on various guides and condition rarity but with the knowledge that due to limited availability, these coins are extremely hard to determine what is a reasonable price to pay as they don't become available every collecting cycle.

Where I won't overpay is when a coin's PCGS population goes from 10 in top grade to 40-50 but sellers are still asking the pop 10 prices. I will sit patiently for those for a very long time.

Have a Happy New and may you all get your last coin for half what you would have paid for it!
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't read any of the above posts, and can't factually argue to the contrary, but anyone who says "no" is a liar. . . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will wait it out, I have more time than money. >>

Not me....at my age, time is not on my side.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I not only have overpaid for the last coin I needed to complete a set, and certainly will do so again, I also overpay routinely to fill or upgrade my Registry sets.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not expect to ever complete my set, only get ever closer. And no, I will not overpay for coins, even if it's the "smart" thing to do. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    I have and will continue to spend stupid money on coins that will fit in with what I am collecting.
    And I guess it is because time is also not on my side and I would like to have a complete collection to pass on.
    I often think of "Am I going to loose this coin over 20 bucks!" and When will I find and see the next one for sale.
    I do enjoy looking over the peices I have collected and I do like to carry some of them around to show friends and family.
    I have a good time at any show I go to and show the coins to any and all dealers, Some just can't believe I collect what I do.
    Bob

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An even worse strategy is to buy the WRONG coin to complete your set... just because you didn't want to overpay for the right one. Set building can be dangerous if you're impatient.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would if I could. The last hole for my collection is so expensive I'll be lucky to get it at any price.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Nevermind. Did it again, and it wasn't even a "need".
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would do it if it was a super nice piece that is tough to find.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't plan on burying myself in the last coin I need to complete a set, but I'll make it an above average specimen (go out with a bang, not a whimper), so I expect to overpay with respect to what an average coin would cost.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I way overpaid for the last Dalonega gold coin I needed for my Dalonega gold type set.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I'll overpay. But only if the coin is right.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I overpay for most of what I buy. So I'm sure I'll overpay for the last one too. This is mostly because I collect world coins and cannot get in on the wholesale market from across the ocean.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file