Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Scans added to my non major sport "Rookie Cards" checklist Boxing, Soccer, Wrestling, Tennis, Golf,

Comments

• Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff! Pretty strong looking 2's as well!
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. The backs have paper loss that's why they got the low grade.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Cool cards, congrats on getting them slabbed! I would love to see a Maradona too.
  • Options
    Here are few alternates. I dedicated entire threads to Pele and Ali options but these are few good options for some others

2015 NSCC Beckett Cover Cards Jordan Spieth

1968 Mira Mark Spitz

1992 Prosport Sachin Tendulkar

1978 Argentina Campeon Libro De Estampas Diego Maradona

2002 Question Of Sport Roger Federer
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Great stuff as always!

I hadn't seen the Spitz before. I think the SI Spieth and Panini Spitz are better looking but having both is the right kind of problem to have.
  • Options
    I just got this back from psa. There was some debate as to whether or not this is actually a Gary Player card. It mentions Gary Player on the back but PSA would not put his name on the label. I really wanted to use this as his rookie Since it was nearly 10 years earlier than the Barrat card that I thought was his 1st card. I decided to try TTM and hope it would pass to get his name on the flip. It worked. The card looks great slabbed. I'm glad j found out about it. It was under the radar since it's only listed as "South Africa" on many checklists

1962 Dickson Orde Gary Player

• Options
    Glad to see the player turned out. It's a nice card and super cheap/available, I picked up one and got it signed as well!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love listening to Gary Player get interviewed. A really inspirational guy. He was on CNBC this week and Joe Kernan asked him about his excercise routine at 83. Did 1,300 sit ups the day before amongst other things. Amazing! Sounds like such a class act and positive ambassador for the game of golf.

Nice addition!

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    Great Player card! And very cool he did ttm.

Not sure if he's shared offline but been conversing w Kyle on this one for a while and trying to figure out if it pre-dates the '62.

not a photo or pressshoot. thick stock, grey back.

if you know anything on it, lettuce know!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the Player card!

If he signed it? He's authenticating it. Good in my book.

When you put this thread up, I always look at all the cards - it's nice to see cards other than BB. image
    Mike
  • Options
    Very cool card. Is it a standard size card or tallboy?.. Thats a great part about collecting cards from these sports. There are always new cards popping up.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2017 5:16PM

I just picked up this Landon Donovan rookie. I found this set pretty interesting. It was from the U.K. And pulled from production after just a few days due to licensing conflicts.

2003 Panini's Football Landon Donovan
    photo FullSizeR_zps65gwu2pq.jpg

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

pulled from production after just a few days

Would that make this scarce?

Have any been graded?

Congratulations on your pickup.

Mike
  • Options

I think only 1 has been graded. I've been looking for it for a while and this was the first one that I have seen come up on ebay for at least a year.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eagles33 said:
    I think only 1 has been graded. I've been looking for it for a while and this was the first one that I have seen come up on ebay for at least a year.

It's a great card. I own the graded one. I also have another raw one I haven't subbed yet. They'll grade them, so sub away.

• Options

I just picked up a 1977 Los Bimbos Secretariat rookie card from Spain if anyone on here is looking for one. I figured I would post it on here before listing it on eBay.

• Options

I've got a few of those. How'd yours grade?

• Options

BTW eagles, I love that you have a Don Bradman in the OP, but in case you weren't familiar, there are a couple mainstream issue ones from 1928 out there.

• Options

I would say its probably a 2 or 3. No creases but the corners aren't great.

I also just purchased a 1978 Maradona Argentina Campeon Libro de Estampas rookie card if anyone is interested. I already have one so this would be a duplicate as well for me. It looks to be a 1 or 2 grading wise.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone here in this thread have a line on old tennis collectibles? 1950s? Specifically:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    BTW eagles, I love that you have a Don Bradman in the OP, but in case you weren't familiar, there are a couple mainstream issue ones from 1928 out there.

i was not aware.... guess i’ll have to upgrade to a 1928 issue. Do you know the set off the top of your head by any chance?

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great that you got the 1980 Deportistas slabbed by PSA. There's an important boxing card in the set so I'll have to get mine slabbed now.

Just an FYI, that 1935 United Tobacco set (Joe Louis) is from 1942 at the earliest. I have an album for the set and it has extensive write-ups for every one of the 100 fighters. In it, they reference fights as late as 1941. So they could either see into the future or they're not from 1935.

Also, as a PSA (not this PSA, the other PSA) I'd steer clear of the beige Louis cards. The UTC cards are somewhat difficult to come by and all have a bright white card stock. The Louis can be found (rarely) in bright white card stock but is almost always found in the beige card stock and there are many more times beige Louis cards than any other card from the set. I don't know how many of the beige I have; I was picking them up for ~$10 years ago.

Sugar Ray has a card in the '47 Cummings set, which obviously beats the Leaf by a year.

Arthur

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

No female tennis players? I was seeing if you had a Serena Williams rookie in here but looks like that is not included in this collection. Great work putting these cards together. I can say with certainty that i believe that you are the only one with this variety.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

i remember reading something about that 1935 louis... not really being from 1935 but never followed up. what would you recommend for his rookie card. is there a good alternative to the other common card from 1935? I didn’t like that there was a tree in the picture on the card. Boxing outside just doesn’t feel right. I knew about the 1947 sugar Ray but chose the leaf since the 47 was a caricature card. Not debating the validity of the 47 card... basically just a personal preference based on astetics.

• Options

@wrestlingcardking said:
    No female tennis players? I was seeing if you had a Serena Williams rookie in here but looks like that is not included in this collection. Great work putting these cards together. I can say with certainty that i believe that you are the only one with this variety.

I have a copy of this card and they are very tough to get out of the magazine without damage. I would assume very condition sensitive.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eagles33 said:
    i remember reading something about that 1935 louis... not really being from 1935 but never followed up. what would you recommend for his rookie card. is there a good alternative to the other common card from 1935? I didn’t like that there was a tree in the picture on the card. Boxing outside just doesn’t feel right. I knew about the 1947 sugar Ray but chose the leaf since the 47 was a caricature card. Not debating the validity of the 47 card... basically just a personal preference based on astetics.

Louis has other items from 1935, it just depends on what your definition of rookie card is. This seems less like a rookie card collection and more like a personal favorite early card collection though so I say go with what you like.

Arthur

• Options

@eagles33 said:

@miwlvrn said:

i was not aware.... guess i’ll have to upgrade to a 1928 issue. Do you know the set off the top of your head by any chance?

1928 W.D. & H.O. WILLS CRICKET SEASON D.BRADMAN
    1928-1929 OGDEN'S AUSTRALIAN TEST CRICKETERS DONALD BRADMAN

The Wills is harder to find than the Ogden's one. A have some of each of them. All of them have come from Australian sellers.

• Options

@eagles33 said:

If you're picking a Joe Louis RC, my vote is 1935 JA PATTREIOUEX SPORT CELEBRITIES 32 JOE LOUIS (much lower print volume than the 1935 Pattreiouex Events & Stars one).

• Options

cool. thanks for the info. I actually think i used to own the less expensive pattreiouex card but got rid of it when i found the tobacco card... oops

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was just thinking about this thread recently and finally found it so thought I'd bump it up.

@eagles33 Any recent updates or Photobucket replacement scans?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Was just thinking about this thread recently and finally found it so thought I'd bump it up.

@eagles33 Any recent updates or Photobucket replacement scans?

+1

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    edited October 22, 2019 8:43PM

Haven’t picked up anything new in awhile. Actually updated my bradman to the earlier one that was brought to my attention in this thread. It’s a bummer that Photobucket doesn’t work anymore. Really ruins the thread. I really enjoyed putting this together. Learning about new sets, tracking down foreign issues and getting them graded for the first time was fun. I recently learned that jimmy Conors has a 1976 card from Germany and a 1979 card from Argentina. That’s the best part about these odd ball cards is that you always learn something new... and when you think you found the earliest card of someone an earlier one pops up. I’m glad I got the soccer cards when I did. Prices on those have exploded. Interested in hearing about anyone else’s pick ups or discoveries

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    Haven’t picked up anything new in awhile. Actually updated my bradman to the earlier one that was brought to my attention in this thread.

Did you get the Wills one that ended last night? It looked like it was in better shape than most of them that come up for sale, relatively speaking.

• Options

No. I picked it up from some australian site a few months back.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2020 10:20AM

Given the wild prices lately I decided to sell most of my collection. Everything will be listed by PWCC in the June auction. Basically a shameless plug but figured some people might be interested these.. especially the ones that don’t pop up for sale often. I’m still interested in the hobby. Will probably be focusing on Presidential ticket stubs and keep an eye out for any interesting foreign sets that aren’t graded yet. Putting this collection together was a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed getting cards approved for grading for the first time. The yamakatsu, 1978 crack Abril Gol were some of the harder ones to convince psa to slab.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chad, good luck with the sales!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Last time I’ll mention it but all the cards were listed by pwcc yesterday if anyone is interested in them or just Interested in following any of the auctions. I’m shocked in how pricey soccer cards have gotten. Tennis cards still seem to have zero value except for the infamous 1968 rod laver which I was never able to get.

• Options

Good luck with your auctions. I placed a few bids on two of your cards so far.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2020 11:59AM

You always had some fun stuff so it will be neat to see the prices that it bring. i know i am bidding on several at the moment, some for tracking purposes and some i would love to own. We will see how it shakes out.

Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

Thanks guys. I know I reached out to a few of you guys before I sent them to see if there was anything they wanted but ended up just sending them to pwcc. I felt bad asking then not making a deal but the cards are so random it’s hard to price because there wasn’t much sales history. I was surprised to see the lacrosse card get a couple bids already. I figured that might go unsold.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm watching your Gary Gait card now. I've got one in a set (raw), but am interested to see that interest a high grade, lacrosse rc will generate.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:

I'm watching your Gary Gait card now. I've got one in a set (raw), but am interested to see that interest a high grade, lacrosse rc will generate.

I've got a larger '89-90 Paul & Gary Gait STX-sponsored/ad Syracuse team issue that would fit in the new jumbo holders that I acquired back while watching a game during one of the since vacated championship seasons. Would be cool to see in a holder, but I'm betting it would not be graded in anything other than a green flip.

• Options

That’s great. Best part about posting in here about these cards is learning about new cards. This one is oversized. But would be cool to unearth an earlier Gary gait

• Options

I am very interested to see the final price on the Popy Hogan...... there are many that it will be interesting to see the final price since it is such an eclectic collection as you mention. Good luck! I hope the auction meets your expectations.

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    That’s great. Best part about posting in here about these cards is learning about new cards. This one is oversized. But would be cool to unearth an earlier Gary gait

I'm guessing there are earlier Gait cards, but who really knows? So much of the lacrosse stuff was printed in such limited quantities, and then I suspect a lot was tossed because people didn't necessarily associate lacrosse cards with potentially valuable baseball cards.

For example, I've got two of the 1999 NLL All-Stars sets that contains the Casey Powell rookie card. Supposedly only 2000 sets were originally printed and they were distributed the day of the game o the first 2000 fans through the front doors. How many are left? No idea...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

This makes me want to chase down a casey Powell rookie and badger psa until they finally slab the set now ... despite never hearing of casey Powell

• Options

Let's just say that Casey Powell and his brothers, Ryan and Mikey, were Syracuse's next round of All-American bothers after the Gaits. Look them up... They were insane!!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got my bid locked and loaded on one of your cards! Yeah, let's get it on!!

• Options

Good luck tonight! Wishing you the best!

• Options

You had some monster prices as expected.

I put in $200 on the Chuck and should have gone higher. Tried $250 at the last second but the bid didn't go off.

That was fun to watch.