Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

******** SECRET SANTA 2014 ********* ALL OF THE PRESENTS HAVE BEEN SHIPPED!!!!! ***************

12346»

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Still several people who have not showed their gifts. Always fun to see what everyone else got.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • So, I know that I have been slow (Thanks, Doug!) image .... The holidays have been a blast but I have been BUSY. I happened to leave for a week-long trip the day that my SS present arrived, so I wasn't able to pick it up from the PO until today.

Using my powers of sleuthing, I had deduced that my SS was in fact Mr. Mullins! When my wife told me that the box was heavy, I had only one thought: books! Perhaps my present was an early Gatsby or Catcher in the Rye ... As I opened the exterior flat rate box, I slowly began to realize that this may not be .... In fact, a tiny detail tipped me off that a hockey related item was inside ...

Nice wrapping paper, Patrick! I wish all my presents looked this way! After briefly considering keeping the box intact as future "vintage unopened SS" (significant secondary market value possible), I decided to "rip" the box and see what was inside. You'll be happy to know that I *did* get a bit of gum powder on my hands, ensuring an authentic experience ...

Anyway, I open to see this!

That's right. More wrappers. Shredded wrappers. Shredded.

As I pushed aside about 2000 miniature cat toys (they'll love it--thanks, Patrick!), I got to my first present. A 1966 issue of Red Wings magazine! Sweet! My neighbors on my next flight will think I'm either insane or super awesome as I flip through this next to them.

It's even better, because this issue covers a game vs the Boston Bruins. And, it features a young Bobby Orr!

And, of course, Mr. Hockey.

I reach into the box again, and out comes an unopened pack of 1989 Topps Hockey! Double sweet! Who doesn't like unopened?

This one must have been carefully picked for me, as it has one of my favorite players, Steve Yzerman, on top!

OK - so, I am happy. I've got a cool pack with a star showing and a nice vintage Red Wings item for my collection. I didn't own any old magazines, so it is very cool that Patrick picked something for me that I wanted but had never bought for myself. But, it gets better! I look back in the box to see:

A whole box of unopened 1989 Topps packs! Awesome. I briefly thought about trying to start a PSA 10 self-pulled set, but then quickly realized I wasn't a complete masochist! image I will rip this in short order, though, and undoubtedly enjoy the heck out of it. Maybe there will be a nice Sakic for a signing ... you never know.

All in all - great gifts; thank you to Mullins and I can't wait until next year!

---

UPDATE: Patrick messages me on Facebook to say "You might find more than a Sakic in that box ... ". I tell this to my wife, who says "What, like an Yzerman?". I say, "No, I think there's something else hidden in the box ...". We go to my office, pull it off the shelf where it has been nicely tucked next to my 1990 OPC boxes, and open it up.

Looks fairly normal.

I pull off a pack, realizing that there's a false layer inside. Previously bragged about sleuthing abilities ... OK, they're not really that great.

BOOM! A graded 1984 O-Pee-Chee Hockey pack. PSA 9, too! This is my favorite set from the 80s and one that I have opened a fair amount of over the years. But, I own no graded packs. This will go perfectly in the collection and I think I might put it on an office shelf as a display piece - it just looks so cool.

So, I'm done, right?

Oh, yeah, here's a picture of the pack. No scan because I'm literally snapping these on my phone as I open. It's a beauty.

I dig into the box a little bit more and it dawns on me that this is actually a lot more than a box of 1989 Topps Hockey. ANOTHER false layer, and I see:

That's 4 packs: 84 Topps, 84 OPC, 83 OPC, and 82 OPC, with a BBCE slip. Wow. I stare at it for a minute. Pretty incredible. These I will have to open. Results later!

Laid on my desk:

I dig further into the box and find a larger item with some wax paper taped to it. I excitedly pulled it out (couldn't help it, so no picture in the box for this one). Wow!

A PSA/DNA signed Steve Yzerman card. It took me a minute to realize it, but this is a signed box bottom! It has a nice blue autograph. That is a great oddball addition to my collection of signed Yzerman cards. OK, Mullins knows me well. This is right up my alley.

I start to clink around with the remaining white 89 Topps wax packs in the box and realize there's something else..

I'm going to put a few spaces here so you maybe won't peek before you guess what it is.

Wait for it...

I honestly don't know what to say other than THANK YOU. I was basically speechless after opening my present. I really was legitimately completely happy when I thought that I "only" had an unopened box of 89 Topps! That there was so much more inside just blows me away. I am humbled by Patrick's generosity and I promise that I will do what I can to pass it on in the future. This group is really amazing - you see it on here almost every day. Someone doing something outstanding and special for someone else. It really is tremendous. I hope you all had a Merry Christmas! And, Patrick - you are the best, buddy!
  • My favorite part is the wrapping paper and packing materials! Lol
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Might find more than a Sakic in that box image
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My favorite part is the wrapping paper and packing materials! Lol >>

Love that. That's what I want to do to a wall of my card room. But with a variety of years and sports.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Bump for update!
    Way to go!!!
  • The generosity on this board never ceases to amaze me, and I know from personal experience that Patrick is one of the best. Kudos to you! I think you just bought yourself some serious collector karma in your quest for the perfect 89 set. Well done!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Casey - What an AWESOME gift! Thanks for sharing and enjoy all those hockey items!

Patrick - Well done! Tremendous gift and I too thought the wrapping was GREAT!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    My secret Santa sent:

- Shaq PSA 10
    - Rafael Palmeiro 8x10
    - a few LSU Football programs

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Very thoughtful! What the SS is all about!

• << <i>Very thoughtful! What the SS is all about! >>

Agreed. Clearly some people put a lot of thought into picking gifts that would be very well received by their recipient.

I look forward to this thread every year and seeing what everyone gets.

Snorto~
  • flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭
    While the wrapping and filler pack on that was over the top, I really liked the trap door layers with the graded 84 OPC, Yzerman Auto, and Gretzky RC wedged in between the 89 Packs themselves.

Incredible job!
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Ebay Store
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to first apologize for my delayed shipping, and my delayed reporting of my AWESOME gift. The month of December was absolutely insane for me... starting with the unfortunate passing of another one of my uncles to this horrible cancer. Thanks to the support of my family and our friends we were all able to work through those last few difficult months together. On a positive note, I really enjoyed my Christmas/New Year holiday with my wonderful wife and beautiful baby girl. She's 17-months old now so this was a pretty fun Christmas for her. She wanted to open everyone's presents... lol.

Which brings me to my Secret Santa gift... I'm really speechless at the time spent, creativity and generosity of my Secret Santa (who happens to live on Long Island, pronounced "Lawn Guyland" image ).

I'll start off with the awesome letter he wrote, which actually had me choked up a little (I'm an emotional guy):

Picture of the wrapped presents!

BOOM!! A custom made cut signature Ripken card!! This thing is awesome and very well constructed. The quality is amazing, and I love that it's slabbed by PSA/DNA. This will be cherished in my collection for the rest of my life, along with the story behind it... THANK YOU!!

Larger scan of the card:

Doug, thank you again for this awesome gift and the touching letter... you really helped make this a Merry Christmas!! image
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    LOVE the letter! Great Job SS!
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Love the Cal card! Great idea.
  • jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Sorry for the delay in showing my gift as I have been sick as a dog since Christmas Eve day.

THANK YOU SANTA!!!!!

[URL=http://s223.photobucket.com/user/jlzinck/media/IMAG1332_zpsjzloy2g0.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • My victim never showed his cards

Rich
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    I hope my recipient liked his also.

I tried to find lots of items that fit his collecting focus.
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Loving the autos, especially Gronk and Papi !
  • Nice Gronk. I'm a Yankee fan but the Ortiz is pretty nice. I heard he doesn't sign much
    .Looking for ANY National Bank notes of Skaneateles, NY
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we going to resurrect Secret Santa for 2015?
  • curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    I'd be game!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I never participated/nor knew this existed...cool....would be interested.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • I'm in but after looking at the thread, someone would be disappointed in my gift. Some of those are no match for my collection or things I could donate. However if 86 Donruss racks are appreciated I'm your man.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I have sat out the past few years due to very curious gifts sent my way. I am willing to do it this year. One thing I always thought would work was to assign different $$ levels to the SS. For instance if there are people who want to send $100 gifts match them up. That way the disappointment of receiving something not in line with what you sent would be eliminated. I know it's all about the Christmas spirit and all--but if you send $200 and get crap--it takes a lot away.
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to participate again if the board decides to do it again this year!
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: flatfoot816

I have sat out the past few years due to very curious gifts sent my way. I am willing to do it this year. One thing I always thought would work was to assign different $$ levels to the SS. For instance if there are people who want to send $100 gifts match them up. That way the disappointment of receiving something not in line with what you sent would be eliminated. I know it's all about the Christmas spirit and all--but if you send $200 and get crap--it takes a lot away.

I have never participated here after this happened to me at another site. I bought specific items from his want list. He sent me 3 cards from his for sale list that had nothing to do with what I said I collect.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: alifaxwa2

Originally posted by: flatfoot816

I have never participated here after this happened to me at another site. I bought specific items from his want list. He sent me 3 cards from his for sale list that had nothing to do with what I said I collect.

Just an idea to toss out there for this discussion: what about considering a tweak where those who want to participate send their collection interests to the guy who is leading the administration of the SS program via PM, and he compiles a list without user names but with a numerical order assigned in the OP of the SS thread. Then people who want to participate can review the wish list, send the SS admin a PM with what number or numbers from the list they'd be interested in sending gifts to, & and when people's wish list is picked he just adds a filled/not available note next to that number. That way you have the option of selecting someone whose list is in line with what you prefer to give, if you are otherwise not interested in getting a random assignment?

• FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I am always in for this.
  • The point of Secret Santa is the giving, not the receiving, and I'm "in" for any arrangement that emerges.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    I would be in
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    I could be in...for first timers, incl me...what are the rules?..deadlines, $, matched up, as mentioned, maybe paired with similar interests or who you could help from ur collection, don't know this history but id banned blatant participants who just want to get rid of their junk but still requests something good, etc, ..i really don't need anything in return but id rather not give to someone who doesn't have the Christmas spirit....

but sounds fun and love the spirit...i wonder if ISIS is doing this?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    This is always fun. I've participated in the last 2 years.

I'd be into doing it again assuming someone is willing to lead it and get it going in short order...as it does take some time to find the right items and get them shipped in time for Christmas.

Since we usually have a minimum threshhold, I cant remember if it was like 25 or 40 bucks, that's is all that should be expected. It is indeed frustrating when someone gives you nothing on your want list and clearly just clears out some stuff they want to get rid of (this has not happened to me, but I've seen it and it flusters me all the same)...which is nowhere near the spirit of the game, nor the season. But I usually try to fulfill some level of the want list at about 100-150% of the threshhold, and then throw in some bonus stuff that might be just outside the stated interest, or in line with an interest that's fun to share. I like to give a little unopened as the bonus...cuz who doesn't love ripping packs...and it's NOT the main gift...simply a bonus.

Some people get hooked up large. Whether that's because someone drew them that may already have a relationship or knowledge of the collector, they got someone very generous, or they got someone who had low strike price on coveted interests, it's a little luck of the draw. So long as someone is willing to put in some effort is the key. This should not be a way to dispose of items you don't want, in exchange for items you do. This should be a Christmas spirit type thing.

I think the way it's been done in the past is if you want to participate you share with the organizer the things you'd like and the things you have to give. When pairings can be made, they are. If not, it's random. This usually means you might have to make a eBay, BBCE, 4SC, etc. purchase...as even if a pairing is made there should be some effort. I might say I have relics to give. Someone might say they want Mo Vaughn relics. Thus we might be paired. If I don't have Mo Vaughn, I should consider purchasing as my main intent is to make the receiver happy. And in a perfect world, whoever got me does the same. Worst case, I get something, whether I want it or not, but I get the joy of giving someone else something they want. I'm OK with that.

• EstilEstil Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭✭
    For the first time in several years I can actually afford to participate this year (NintendoAge is also doing a Secret Santa but I didn't sign up because I'm more into cards right now...that shifts b/t cards and games every few years or so...don't ask)...but only if you bring back the "Does Not Suck" label for those who sent their gifts image
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars