Home Sports Talk
Options

College football 2014 - The first year of PLAYOFFS

12346»

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did FSU really not shake hands after the game? If so, I hope their coaches wear them out.

What about that coach, Fisher I think, did he go congratulate the Oregon coach? I wasn't watching as I had yet another Christmas celebration to go to, but saw some Facebook peeps mentioning that FSU just ran off the field and was just wondering. >>

Here's the video:

ESPN
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sec west is the best HAHAHAHHAHA

The Big TEN is the best conference in football this year by far!!!!! >>

I take this back, the Big ten is not the best by far, but I don't see any conference being far above any other.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I take this back, the Big ten is not the best by far, but I don't see any conference being far above any other. >>

Okay, that's a much more rational statement. Your first one... no. image

I still think the SEC is the toughest conference top to bottom, regardless of their showing in this year's bowl games. And I still think the Pac-12 is a notch below them. However, the B1G is really opening some eyes. I always thought Michigan State was a very, very good program, and Wisconsin as well. TOSU has really impressed the nation. Urban Meyer has done wonders for that program, and by everyone's admission has them at least a year or two ahead of his own timetable for returning to national prominence.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I take this back, the Big ten is not the best by far, but I don't see any conference being far above any other. >>

I still think the SEC is the toughest conference top to bottom, regardless of their showing in this year's bowl games. And I still think the Pac-12 is a notch below them. However, the B1G is really opening some eyes. I always thought Michigan State was a very, very good program, and Wisconsin as well. TOSU has really impressed the nation. Urban Meyer has done wonders for that program, and by everyone's admission has them at least a year or two ahead of his own timetable for returning to national prominence. >>

I agree. I think SEC and Pac 12 are the best 2. I think the other 3 are all comparable. Really depends on how you compare. Top to bottom, just the the team or two, etc....
  • Options
    Awesome video of Urban Meyer:

ESPN
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I still think the SEC is the toughest conference top to bottom, regardless of their showing in this year's bowl games. And I still think the Pac-12 is a notch below them. However, the B1G is really opening some eyes. I always thought Michigan State was a very, very good program, and Wisconsin as well. TOSU has really impressed the nation. Urban Meyer has done wonders for that program, and by everyone's admission has them at least a year or two ahead of his own timetable for returning to national prominence. >>

I agree. I think SEC and Pac 12 are the best 2. I think the other 3 are all comparable. Really depends on how you compare. Top to bottom, just the the team or two, etc.... >>

The Pac 12 gets my vote for best conference. Big Ten and SEC are pretty close. The SEC'S best teams all lost. So glad we now have a playoff. If we still had the BCS system, the two best teams would've been left out.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree. I think SEC and Pac 12 are the best 2. I think the other 3 are all comparable. Really depends on how you compare. Top to bottom, just the the team or two, etc.... >>

The Pac 12 gets my vote for best conference. Big Ten and SEC are pretty close. The SEC'S best teams all lost. So glad we now have a playoff. If we still had the BCS system, the two best teams would've been left out. >>

I would argue that TCU would have beat both OSU and Alabama but then again we will never know. My guess that half of the members of the bowl committee and most of the posters here didn't see them play this year. Did any one see their bowl game? They were as impressive as OSU or Oregon if not more so.

The Big Ten was 5-6 this Bowl season. Not exactly overwhelming. Their two narrow victories yesterday ( MSU and Wisconsin) were nice to see.

As a Big Ten guy it's a start.....

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would argue that TCU would have beat both OSU and Alabama but then again we will never know. My guess that half of the members of the bowl committee and most of the posters here didn't see them play this year. Did any one see their bowl game? They were as impressive as OSU or Oregon if not more so.

MJ >>

I saw TCU's game, and they were impressive. Oregon impressive, though? Please.

If Florida State's fraudulent "undefeated" record didn't carry so much weight, it could be argued that TCU deserved a shot in the playoff. Well, except for that pesky loss to Baylor.

And what's fraudulent about FSU's record? If it wasn't for a nitpicky offensive PI call at the end of the game, Notre Dame beats them in their house. The Irish called the perfect play, and the zebras rewarded FSU for getting hoodwinked.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would argue that TCU would have beat both OSU and Alabama but then again we will never know. My guess that half of the members of the bowl committee and most of the posters here didn't see them play this year. Did any one see their bowl game? They were as impressive as OSU or Oregon if not more so.

MJ >>

I saw TCU's game, and they were impressive. Oregon impressive, though? Please.

If Florida State's fraudulent "undefeated" record didn't carry so much weight, it could be argued that TCU deserved a shot in the playoff. Well, except for that pesky loss to Baylor.

And what's fraudulent about FSU's record? If it wasn't for a nitpicky offensive PI call at the end of the game, Notre Dame beats them in their house. The Irish called the perfect play, and the zebras rewarded FSU for getting hoodwinked. >>

59-20 on center stage………….yes, impressive.

Of course the valid argument is that TCU deserved Ohio State's spot in the playoff. Let's just sweep that pesky lopsided loss to a mediocre 5th place ACC team AT home under the rug.

MJ

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Pac 12 gets my vote for best conference. Big Ten and SEC are pretty close. The SEC'S best teams all lost. So glad we now have a playoff. If we still had the BCS system, the two best teams would've been left out. >>

I would argue that TCU would have beat both OSU and Alabama but then again we will never know. My guess that half of the members of the bowl committee and most of the posters here didn't see them play this year. Did any one see their bowl game? They were as impressive as OSU or Oregon if not more so.

The Big Ten was 5-6 this Bowl season. Not exactly overwhelming. Their two narrow victories yesterday ( MSU and Wisconsin) were nice to see.

MJ >>

Big Ten is 5-5 with a chance to go 6-5. Ohio State has the best win this year because they beat #1. Ohio State also had a stronger SOS than both Baylor and TCU. Ohio State had better wins. TCU was ranked behind Baylor because they didn't win their own conference. Michigan State beat Baylor(on the road) and Baylor beat TCU. TCU is the only Big 12 team to win a bowl game. The committee got it right.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

MJ >>

Big Ten is 5-5 with a chance to go 6-5. Ohio State has the best win this year because they beat #1. Ohio State also had a stronger SOS than both Baylor and TCU. Ohio State had better wins. TCU was ranked behind Baylor because they didn't win their own conference. Michigan State beat Baylor(on the road) and Baylor beat TCU. The committee got it right. >>

The Big Ten went 5-6. Iowa got drilled by a powerful 6-6 Tennessee squad today. Ohio State beat #1 because they got into the playoff. If TCU gets in the playoff and beats Alabama they have the best win. In my opinion TCU beats both Ohio State and Alabama on neutral fields. But alas we will never know.

Using your failed logic from above ( TCU/Michigan State/Baylor scenario ) TCU would have probably killed Ohio State. After all Old Miss beat Alabama and then Old Miss was destroyed 42-3 by TCU. Ohio State just holds on to beat Alabama by 7. The committee may have gotten it right. I think perhaps not.

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

MJ >>

Big Ten is 5-5 with a chance to go 6-5. Ohio State has the best win this year because they beat #1. Ohio State also had a stronger SOS than both Baylor and TCU. Ohio State had better wins. TCU was ranked behind Baylor because they didn't win their own conference. Michigan State beat Baylor(on the road) and Baylor beat TCU. The committee got it right. >>

The Big Ten went 5-6. Iowa got drilled by a powerful 6-6 Tennessee squad today. Ohio State beat #1 because they got into the playoff. If TCU gets in the playoff and beats Alabama they have the best win. In my opinion TCU beats both Ohio State and Alabama on neutral fields. But alas we will never know. >>

Big Ten played 10 bowl games so your wrong. 14 teams, Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, and Michigan did not make a bowl. That's your opinion but most people agreed that Ohio state was more worthy even before they played Alabama. Who beats Wisconsin 59-0? lol They beat Michigan state on the road. Who did TCU beat? Big 12 is 1-5 in bowl games.

• Options
    Wow TCU whipped Ole Miss. Arkansas beat ole miss 30-0.

• Options

<< <i>Wow TCU whipped Ole Miss. Arkansas beat ole miss 30-0. >>

I was just turning your logic against you.

True or false. Ohio State lost at home to a Virginia Tech team that finished 5th in the ACC Coastal Conference. VT managed to lose to a 3-9 Wake Forest team. That same Wake Forest team lost to UL Monroe. Did all this indeed happen? True or false?

My point remains that your MSU/Baylor/TCU analogy was shaky at best.

Yes you are right the Big Ten did go 5-5 so far in the Bowl season with a chance to go 6-5 or 5-6. Calling this an achievement does indeed set the bar awfully low.

I will be rooting for OSU. They are a good story.

MJ

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow TCU whipped Ole Miss. Arkansas beat ole miss 30-0. >>

I was just turning your logic against you.

True or false. Ohio State lost at home to a Virginia Tech team that finished 5th in the ACC Coastal Conference. VT managed to lose to a 3-9 Wake Forest team. That same Wake Forest team lost to UL Monroe. Did all this indeed happen? True or false?

My point remains that your MSU/Baylor/TCU analogy was shaky at best.

Yes you are right the Big Ten did go 5-5 so far in the Bowl season with a chance to go 6-5 or 5-6. Calling this an achievement does indeed set the bar awfully low.

I will be rooting for OSU. They are a good story.

MJ >>

The Virginia Tech loss was way back in the first week of September, shortly after Ohio State just lost their star Heisman finalist QB. So they get a pass for that loss. They are a different team now and proved it again how talented they are winning with a 3rd string QB against the #1 team in the country. The Sugar bowl ended the debate on whether or not they belonged in the top 4.

Disagree that 5 bowl wins is not good.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The Virginia Tech loss was way back in the first week of September, shortly after Ohio State just lost their star Heisman finalist QB. So they get a pass for that loss. >>

They don't get a pass for that loss. The injury to Miller occurred weeks before the season started. Ohio had weeks of practice and an entire game before the VT loss. So let's stop acting like Miller got hurt 5 seconds before kickoff against Tech.
  • Options

<< <i>

And what's fraudulent about FSU's record? If it wasn't for a nitpicky offensive PI call at the end of the game, Notre Dame beats them in their house. The Irish called the perfect play, and the zebras rewarded FSU for getting hoodwinked. >>

The refs got that call exactly right. Notre Dame's receivers ran upfield and blocked. They didn't even try to run routes. It was absolutely the right call, no matter what the circumstances.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Virginia Tech loss was way back in the first week of September, shortly after Ohio State just lost their star Heisman finalist QB. So they get a pass for that loss. >>

They don't get a pass for that loss. The injury to Miller occurred weeks before the season started. Ohio had weeks of practice and an entire game before the VT loss. So let's stop acting like Miller got hurt 5 seconds before kickoff against Tech. >>

Wrong, Miller got injured right before the first game against Navy. They didn't have weeks to adjust to a whole new offense.

• Options
    College football playoffs breaks tv ratings records.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/college-football-playoff-ratings-espn-1201339700/

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

They don't get a pass for that loss. The injury to Miller occurred weeks before the season started. Ohio had weeks of practice and an entire game before the VT loss. So let's stop acting like Miller got hurt 5 seconds before kickoff against Tech. >>

Wrong, Miller got injured right before the first game against Navy. They didn't have weeks to adjust to a whole new offense. >>

You're right - they had 12 days before the Navy game. My point is the same and still valid.
  • Options
    Tabe you can not debate with him. He's missing gene or something. He cries about Miller not playing and blames the loss on that. The guy who replaces Miller goes on to an All American season and makes Miller look pedestrian. 2nd Team All American Barrett played in that loss to VT! He was their best player this season. Here is the kicker, OSU beat Alabama with a 3rd string quarterback which somehow he thinks proves his point. When in fact the question begs, why couldn't OSU beat a crap team at home with an All American QB?

The 3rd string quarterback certainly had zero problems stepping in when called to duty. He came in cold against Michigan when I believe the score was 28-28 or 35-28. He won. He helped destroy Wisconsin. He beat Alabama. So why didn't Barrett the better QB beat VT at home? Fact is OSU had a terrible loss and TCU got jobbed. At least OSU is taking advantage of the gift.

MJ
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To those who keep saying TCU got screwed. TCU is not in the playoffs even if OSU would have been excluded. They have no complaints. Baylor would have been the fourth team in. They beat TCU head to head which DID come into the equasion at seasons end. The committee rightly had them as the first team out.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>To those who keep saying TCU got screwed. TCU is not in the playoffs even if OSU would have been excluded. They have no complaints. Baylor would have been the fourth team in. They beat TCU head to head which DID come into the equasion at seasons end. The committee rightly had them as the first team out. >>

That's debatable. I am not saying they got screwed but head to head is not all that matters. TCU was simply the better team in many people's opinion including my own. They fell apart for one quarter, against Baylor, but otherwise had a perfect season. They played a number of top 25 teams and beat them. I am fine with the choice of Ohio State ahead of TCU, due to their strong finish, but I think the TCU v. Baylor argument is an argument for the ages with no "right" answer.
  • Options
    TCU's best win was against a 4 loss Ole Miss team. They almost lost to Kansas lol. They played a weak schedule in the weakest Conference. Virginia tech had some good wins and won a bowl game. Ohio State beat two top 5 teams and another(Wisconsin) who should be ranked in the top 10 final rankings.

• Options
    If you cant win your conference, you don't deserve a playoff spot. Ohio State beat two top 5 teams. No one now on ESPN is saying TCU got screwed lol. They all admit the two best teams are playing for all the marbles.

• Options
    Breitbart sports picks PAC 12 top conference.

1. Pac 12
    2. SEC
    3. Big Ten
    4. Big 12
    5. ACC

• Options
    Lol. The Breitbart headline is:

"BREITBART SPORTS BREAKS WITH THE PACK: SEC NO. 1 IN 122 OF 125 RATINGS"

LINK
  • Options

<< <i>Lol. The Breitbart headline is:

LINK >>

garnett is a piece of work...........give him enough time to google and he will find a needle in the haystack. This is some of his best grasping for straws yet.

In the Massey Ratings compilation of human and computer rankings a week later, only Football Insiders agreed with Breitbart Sports, while 122 ratings had the Sec No.1 and the coaching “Legends” picked the Big 12.
  • Options

LINK >>

Those ratings were before the bowl games. Sec is no longer the top conference.

• Options

<< <i>

LINK >>

Those ratings were before the bowl games. Sec is no longer the top conference. >>

BS. Says you and practically only you.

FYI the SEC won 7 bowl games this year. I'm pretty sure that could be a record. Even in a down year the SEC is the best conference. The Pac 10 is a close second IMO. Clearly these two conferences are head and shoulders above the rest.

MJ
  • Options
    Not that it means much but just fwiw here are the bowl records thus far for 2014 and below that the 2013 records. All from a UCLA blog post suggesting the Pac 12 needs better bowl tie-ins. No major conclusion here. Just fwiw:

Before next week's national title game, here are the win-loss bowl records for each of the Power Five conferences-

Pac-12 6-2

SEC 7-5

Big 10 5-5

ACC 4-7

Big 12 2-5

2013 Bowl games:

SEC 7-3

Pac-12 6-3

Big 12 3-3

ACC 5-6

Big 10 2-5

Link to full article if interested. LINK