Home Sports Talk
Options

College football 2014 - The first year of PLAYOFFS

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm at a boring Christmad party right now. The host had the OSU-Wisconsin game on. Had to covertly find his remote so I could turn on the FSU-GT game on. Much better. >>

LOL. Been there done that! image
  • Options
    Should be an interesting meeting for the committee. What's your prediction?

At this point I have to say:

Alabama
    Oregon
    Ohio State
    Florida State

It goes against what I have said for a long time but I think Ohio State did it today and earned a spot. Plus, I think the committee wants a chance at Oregon v. Alabama in the final.

TCU and Baylor are close but I think they will be looking in from the outside. Not at all what I thought would happen. Have to feel bad for them. TCU did their job today.

BTW, I think Wisconsin should definitely play Arizona in some bowl game. Is there an Egg Bowl? They both laid one in their conference championship games!
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I gotta go with 1) FSU (the defending champs no matter who they are should be ranked one until someone beats them based on principle alone) 2) Oregon 3) Baylor (gets the nod over TCU because head to head ought to count for something) 4) New Jersey Institute of Technology basketball team (they took it to Michigan lol today and I despise Alabama and Ohio State so NJIT leaps them both)
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero controversy and pretty clear cut

1) Alabama
    2) Oregon

And TCU and FSU. Pick the order

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW. To come this far back after the Va. Tech loss. Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State, Florida State. And the Buckeyes solved the committees dilemma of the Baylor-TCU fiasco.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    And BTW the Buckeyes decided to play their 3rd string QB so as to not run up the score.

Ralph

• Options
    and TCU was taking knees to not run up the score and Baylor has beaten two of the current top 10 playoff ranked teams including one of the top 4. No other contender has done that.

(that was a nice one about OSU third string BTW)

I "got" the humor just wanted to see myself type some more

LOL, NICE ONE BRICK. was just rereading and I see that one DID go right over my head. Forgot about the other 2 kids getting hurt i just thought you were being sarcastic about the margin of victory. A tip of the cap to you, well played sir, I bought that hook, line and sinker, won't edit my top part out because you deserve to enjoy that one, especially since i thought i saw your humor the first time)
  • Options
    Besides women's olympics curling, the greatest sport on the planet
  • Options
    Do they announce the full bowl schedule tomorrow or just the semis?
  • Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    It's a tough call after seeing how impressive Ohio State beat Wisconsin in the conference championship. Ohio state beat Wisconsin, Michigan St., and Minnesota. They lost to Virginia Tech 35-21, and had to go to overtime to beat Penn State 31-24 OT. I think it was a down year for the Big 10 and there just wasn't enough good teams on Ohio State's schedule. I look at TCU and they beat Kansas State, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Minnesota, and Texas. Their only loss came against a highly ranked Baylor team and they only lost by 3 points 61-58. So by a razor thin margin I am giving the bid to TCU for that 4th and final spot even though they didn't play a conference championship game. If Ohio State had beaten one more good team or if the Big 10 was just a little stronger from top to bottom I would have them in that 4th spot.

1. Alabama
    2. Oregon
    3. FSU
    4. TCU

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options

<< <i>It's a tough call after seeing how impressive Ohio State beat Wisconsin in the conference championship. Ohio state beat Wisconsin, Michigan St., a. Minnesota. They lost to Virginia Tech 35-21, and had to go to overtime to beat Penn State 31-24 OT. I think it was a down year for the Big 10 and there just wasn't enough good teams on Ohio State's schedule. I look at TCU and they beat Kansas State, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Minnesota, and Texas. Their only loss came against a highly ranked Baylor team and they only lost by 3 points 61-58. So by a razor thin margin I am giving the bid to TCU for that 4th and final spot even though they didn't play a conference championship game. If Ohio State had beaten one more good team or if the Big 10 was just a little stronger from top to bottom I would have them in that 4th spot.

1. Alabama
    2. Oregon
    3. FSU
    4. TCU >>

I can't wait for the rankings tomorrow. Should be enough to look forward to that it helps pass the time while I'm supposed to be studying for finals. The only bad thing is Saturdays won't be the same until next August.
  • Options
    What combination of two teams do y'all think would cause the highest secondary market ticket price for the championship game?
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Latest SOS rank

Ohio State 45
    TCU 54
    Baylor 59

Opponent records by team:

Ohio State 84-60
    TCU 61-70
    Baylor 61-70

Ohio State CLEARLY deserves it more than TCU and Baylor

My top 4

1. FSU
    2. Ohio State
    3. Oregon
    4. Alabama

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

<< <i>It's a tough call after seeing how impressive Ohio State beat Wisconsin in the conference championship. Ohio state beat Wisconsin, Michigan St., and Minnesota. They lost to Virginia Tech 35-21, and had to go to overtime to beat Penn State 31-24 OT. I think it was a down year for the Big 10 and there just wasn't enough good teams on Ohio State's schedule. I look at TCU and they beat Kansas State, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Minnesota, and Texas. Their only loss came against a highly ranked Baylor team and they only lost by 3 points 61-58. So by a razor thin margin I am giving the bid to TCU for that 4th and final spot even though they didn't play a conference championship game. If Ohio State had beaten one more good team or if the Big 10 was just a little stronger from top to bottom I would have them in that 4th spot.

1. Alabama
    2. Oregon
    3. FSU
    4. TCU >>

That's a legitimate, logical argument. However I would believe that since TCU and Baylor ended the season as one loss teams, Baylor finishing the year with a much tougher opponent, head to head MUST come into play. It would be necessary to have Baylor jump both TCU and Ohio State. That's not going to happen. A negative to the Buckeyes in the playoff is the fact they would be playing their third string QB. As good as he looked last night he was not pressured much. In the final four the competition would be amped up to the absolute toughest possible and there would be film for those teams to study. Whether OSU plays Oregon or Alabama they should be substantial underdogs. They would have a "punchers" chance. At the end of the season they deserve that chance.

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>Latest SOS rank

Ohio State 45
    TCU 54
    Baylor 59

Opponent records by team:

Ohio State 84-60
    TCU 61-70
    Baylor 61-70

Ohio State CLEARLY deserves it more than TCU and Baylor

My top 4

1. FSU
    2. Ohio State
    3. Oregon
    4. Alabama >>

That's a logical, legitimate argument as well. It seems a lot more logical to me but I admit to being a bit one sided. It would not require the committee to stretch any facts to insert the Buckeyes, as most experts think they are in. If the committee picks Baylor or TCU the infighting between those schools will probably end up in court or worse. Picking OSU eliminates a lot of negative scenarios. BTW the Buckeyes pretty much ended any drama over who wins the Heisman. You're welcome.

Ralph

• Options
    LOL. Let the games begin
  • Options

<< <i>Zero controversy and pretty clear cut

1) Alabama
    2) Oregon

And TCU and FSU. Pick the order

MJ >>

Incredible. Let the games begin

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not see the so-called playoffs accomplishing anything. There will still be controversy as there is now.

In view of the fact that the conferences have changed, lets see real and meaningful inter-conference play. The Big Ten and ACC have had their Basketball challenge for over then years now. And it works. There is no excuse why the PAC 10, BIG 10, ACC, SEC and BIG12 can't rotate and do a football challenge, from top to bottom, for 2 of the 3 or 4 non conference games.

No more excuses, stupid committees or other ineffective nonsense.

Let's have the conferences play each other so there can be a more compelling baseline to determine a National Champion.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    All 6 are deserving and always have to draw the line somewhere. I have no problem with the four picked. I don't think there is much difference between the teams. Anybody can win it!

I think both Alabama and Oregon should be favored to win their games. Hopefully set up that championship game. Would be fun.
  • Options
    Early odds for semi-final games: Oregon by 7.5 and Alabama by 9.5.

• Options
    There would be plenty of controversy under the old BCS system. Would you leave out Alabama or Oregon in the game against Florida State? Could you possibly leave out Florida State? What an outcry there would be. At least all three title worthy teams are in. The only controversy is who gets the easy tune up game against Ohio State.

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>There would be plenty of controversy under the old BCS system. Would you leave out Alabama or Oregon in the game against Florida State? Could you possibly leave out Florida State? What an outcry there would be. At least all three title worthy teams are in. The only controversy is who gets the easy tune up game against Ohio State. >>

Seriously. If this was old BCS which two teams would be in the championship? Heck of a question. It seems Alabama and Oregon pass the eye test better but FSU is undefeated.

• Options

<< <i>Early odds for semi-final games: Oregon by 7.5 and Alabama by 9.5. >>

If Ohio State loses at least they will have a good excuse having to play with their 3rd string QB lol.

On the other hand if Ohio State wins, it will make the SEC look bad with their best team losing to a 3rd string QB.

• Options

<< <i>Look at all the Wisconsin teams from 2009-2015. Most of these teams were 10-3 or 11-2. Their worst loss was 31-13. And the rest of their losses during this 6 year period were
    by 10 points or less in every other game.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-09/big-ten/2009-wisconsin-badgers-football-schedule.php

This was Wisconsin's first conference loss this year. This team destroyed Nebraska, and was a very good team. Hard to believe they didn't lie down here, the same way Alabama let Auburn and Cam Newton win that Iron Bowl, and let Auburn go on to the national championship. I think Bama was up 21-0 at halftime, and had no chance at a national championship game. Auburn came back to win the game, and beat Oregon for the title. Just saying that both games seem a little odd. >>

There is no chance on earth you would get a group of college age kids to let their opponent beat them. NO CHANCE.
  • Options

<< <i>There is no chance on earth you would get a group of college age kids to let their opponent beat them. NO CHANCE. >>

The 1951 point-shaving scandal
    The many instances of point shaving uncovered in 1951 make this the biggest scandal in college basketball history. The numbers tell some of the story:

• Thirty-five active and former college players were accused of fixing games.
    • Between 1947 and 1951, at least 86 games were fixed.
    • Twenty players were indicted and convicted in the scandal.
    • Fourteen gamblers were indicted and convicted.
    • The careers and reputations of many players and coaches were ruined.

The biggest names involved were Jack Molinas, Sherman White, Ralph Beard and Alex Groza. Molinas bet on his own team, Columbia University. He averaged 12 points per game in his short career as a Fort Wayne Piston before the NBA banned him for life.

Groza and Beard, Kentucky All-Americans and first-round NBA draft picks, had already played two years for the NBA's Indianapolis Olympians (and were both first-team NBA All-Stars) before it was found that they shaved points while at Kentucky in the late 1940s. They were immediately banned.

White, a 6-foot-8 LIU forward who was the Michael Jordan of his day, might have been an NBA superstar. He would have been drafted by the Knicks but was barred from the NBA and later served nine months in prison for fixing games.

In 1999, New York Newsday listed the scandal as the worst event in New York sports history -- worse, even, than the Giants and Dodgers leaving town.

The scandal continued to scar the Wildcats program even after Groza and Beard left Kentucky. The two were among Adolph Rupp's "Fabulous Five" teams, which won back-to-back NCAA titles in 1948 and 1949. Three other Kentucky players also admitted involvement.

Rupp's team, which had won the 1951 NCAA title, had the dubious honor of becoming the first college basketball team to get the "death penalty," and were barred from play in 1952-53, a season in which the Wildcats probably would have again won the NCAA championship. >>

Sorry I wasn't clear. A group of football players. NO CHANCE ON EARTH. You could get a few kids easy but not a team. NO WAY. I am not a Ohio State fan but I guarantee Wisconsin was playing to win. They just had a bad day.
  • Options

<< <i>You say there's NO WAY for a team to throw a game, you may be right, you don't need a team.
    All you need is the QB and the Heismann possible running back.

The running back in the 59-0 loss was 26 carries for 76 yards for a 2.9 average. Needless to say, WAY below his season average.

The QB was 17/43 for 187 yards with 3 interceptions. Needless to say, WAY below his season average.

Ohio State in it's previous four games let up 37 against Michigan State, 24 at Minnesota, 27 at home against Indiana (where it was 21-20 going into the 4th), and they let up
    28 at home against Michigan.
    But somehow they shut out Wisconsin and scored the most in conference points (59) against a very good conference opponent.

I'm just saying I can give you 6 million reasons why this results smells fishy. >>

Get back in your bunker and turn off the internet please. You are scaring the rest of us.
  • Options
    Perhaps the Buckeyes could use the six million as a down payment to Alabama to roll over.

Ralph

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Ducks open up the throttle for four quarters, it will not hurt my feelings. FSU leaves an extremely vile taste in my mouth.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Glad the playoff system has squelched the controversy.

• Options
    My tix have been secured to go to Nashville to watch ND/LSU. This will be my 4th time to personally attend a LSU/Notre Dame game. Will also be in Memphis the day before to watch A&M and whomever they are playing. In all my years of going to college games, I don't think I've ever been to games on back to back days and definitely not with my wife and kids. We will be like the Griswalds driving across the Country. I'd be fine if the only bowls played were those for the top 4 teams, but I'm part of the problem myself and a hypocrite in that I'll continue to economically support the lower tier bowls and their community when my team(s) go.

Hoping to see Bama and Oregon in the title game. That one is only about 35 minutes away so will be a fun one to go to. Hate both teams so will be fun watching oneof them lose. Would make me happier though to see Bama lose. Go Ducks!!
  • Options

<< <i>Glad the playoff system has squelched the controversy.

image >>

Exactly.
  • Options
    Just looking at the Vegas Bowl Lines----The Big Ten teams are underdogs in all ten games.

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>Just looking at the Vegas Bowl Lines----The Big Ten teams are underdogs in all ten games.

MJ >>

Good to be the underdog. No matter how few they win they can say they weren't supposed to win them. Lol.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious...

How many here think TCU got the short end of the stick here?

It seems going from a shot in the top 4 to the Peach Bowl begs the simple question... How did that happen??

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Just curious...

How many here think TCU got the short end of the stick here?

It seems going from a shot in the top 4 to the Peach Bowl begs the simple question... How did that happen?? >>

Pretty simple, they didn't win their conference.

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Wild, wacky stuff. Crazy to think that Michigan State might end up with two losses, which might be to the top two teams in the country. That is, if they can beat Baylor, and with MSU and I know they are the underdog there. This MSU team is nothing like last year. Man, I wish these playoffs had started last year.

Also, no freakin way was that OSU-WIS game thrown. How can you even be serious? OSU deserves to be in the mix.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

<< <i>Wild, wacky stuff. Crazy to think that Michigan State might end up with two losses, which might be to the top two teams in the country. That is, if they can beat Baylor, and with MSU and I know they are the underdog there. This MSU team is nothing like last year. Man, I wish these playoffs had started last year.

Also, no freakin way was that OSU-WIS game thrown. How can you even be serious? OSU deserves to be in the mix. >>

Why does OSU deserve anything? They beat all the teams in an average at best conference. Actually one could argue that the Big Ten was weak. That is their entire resume. They won a weak conference. They had a terrible home loss to a 6-6 team non conference team. Baylor and TCU played in a MUCH better better conference and had one loss. TCU's one loss came at the hands of the # 5 team in the country.

OSU got in because of their brand. Deserving? Nah. Fortunate. Yes.

MJ
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wild, wacky stuff. Crazy to think that Michigan State might end up with two losses, which might be to the top two teams in the country. That is, if they can beat Baylor, and with MSU and I know they are the underdog there. This MSU team is nothing like last year. Man, I wish these playoffs had started last year.

Also, no freakin way was that OSU-WIS game thrown. How can you even be serious? OSU deserves to be in the mix. >>

Why does OSU deserve anything? They beat all the teams in an average at best conference. Actually one could argue that the Big Ten was weak. That is their entire resume. They won a weak conference. They had a terrible home loss to a 6-6 team non conference team. Baylor and TCU played in a MUCH better better conference and had one loss. TCU's one loss came at the hands of the # 5 team in the country.

MJ >>

Big 12 is Baylor and TCU. Big 10 is OSU and MSU. I would hardly call that a MUCH better conference.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

<< <i>
    Big 12 is Baylor and TCU. Big 10 is OSU and MSU. I would hardly call that a MUCH better conference. >>

This issue has been beaten with a stick. Disinterested parties have the Big 10 as the 4th or 5th best conference this year. Not fans of the conference but disinterested parties. Some use computer metrics (Sagarin for example). Yes, you could argue the top two teams are very comparable but the "experts" seem to think the Big 10 is weak, overall, this year. I personally think the Big 10 came a long way toward dispelling that theory as the season progressed but last I saw they were still ranked 4th or 5th among the big 5 conferences. However, games are played on the field so let's see how each conference does in their bowl games before we novices rank them.

As for the discussion of whether TCU got the shaft I think Garnett is correct that the committee used the theory that Ohio State won their conference and put a lot of weight into it. Fair or unfair that's what they apparently did. However, if it had been Texas or OK instead of TCU or Baylor I don't think Ohio State would have jumped them. Just my opinion. Obviously no way to know.
  • Options
    I don't see much controversy. The three teams that undoubtedly should be in are in. There would be controversy if they had to pick two for the BCS and leave one team home. As far as Ohio State being the last team in I certainly had no doubt. Many pundits had them in and the committee said it was not even close as to who number four is. Also if the Buckeyes were not in TCU would still not be in as Baylor also jumped them. If someone wants to complain it should be Baylor.

Ralph

• Options
    Oh ya, as for the discussion of the conferences, fwiw, here's the latest Sagarin. I don't know what criteria he uses but he gets paid to put out his list so it should hold some value even to biased sports fans:

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 92.52 92.44 ( 1) 7 92.46 ( 1)
    2 PAC-12(SOUTH) (A) = 80.35 79.12 ( 3) 6 79.71 ( 2)
    3 SEC-EAST (A) = 79.69 78.74 ( 4) 7 79.42 ( 3)
    4 BIG 12 (A) = 79.38 79.13 ( 2) 10 79.28 ( 4)
    5 PAC-12(NORTH) (A) = 75.90 77.06 ( 5) 6 76.31 ( 5)
    6 BIG TEN-EAST (A) = 74.96 76.49 ( 6) 7 75.34 ( 6)
    7 ACC-ATLANTIC (A) = 74.31 73.40 ( 9) 7 73.95 ( 8)
    8 ACC-COASTAL (A) = 74.14 74.78 ( 7) 7 74.65 ( 7)
    9 BIG TEN-WEST (A) = 73.97 73.65 ( 8) 7 73.74 ( 9)
    10 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 67.72 66.52 ( 11) 4 67.58 ( 10)
    11 MWC-MOUNTAIN (A) = 67.37 67.09 ( 10) 6 67.24 ( 11)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

MJ >>

Big 12 is Baylor and TCU. Big 10 is OSU and MSU. I would hardly call that a MUCH better conference. >>

The Big 12 is deeper with less fodder and both Baylor and TCU are better then OSU and MSU by most accounts.

Games are played on the field but it's interesting that TCU would have been a 4.5 point favorite over OSU and Baylor would have been a 2.5 favorite over OSU.

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

MJ >>

The Big 12 is deeper with less fodder and both Baylor and TCU are better then OSU and MSU by most accounts.

Games are played on the field but it's interesting that TCU would have been a 4.5 point favorite over OSU and Baylor would have been a 2.5 favorite over OSU.

MJ >>

I see no evidence the Big 12 is better than the Big 10. Ohio State had a tougher SOS than both TCU and Baylor and the Big 10 has more ranked teams. Ohio State would put up 70 on TCU and Baylor's defenses.