Home Sports Talk
Options

College football 2014 - The first year of PLAYOFFS

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see no evidence the Big 12 is better than the Big 10. Ohio State had a tougher SOS than both TCU and Baylor and the Big 10 has more ranked teams. Ohio State would put up 70 on TCU and Baylor's defenses. >>

Really? 70? You sure that wasn't the beer talking last night? If OSU put up 70 then those teams would put up 71 and win the game.

What's Ohio State going to do against the "overrated" SEC team? Call your shot Garnett!
  • Options
    I just looked on ESPN. TCU is 16th in points against and OSU is 23rd. Furthermore, it's interesting that the third least that any team scored against TCU this year was Minnesota (7 points)... who scored 24 against the almighty OSU. Hmmmm.... I think you are off base with your 70 prediction. Plus OSU is 4th in points for and TCU is 2nd. Again, I will assume it was the beer talking. When you sober up let us know what you really think. Do you truly think OSU would be favored to beat TCU, on a neutral field, with any of your three quarterbacks?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Wild, wacky stuff. Crazy to think that Michigan State might end up with two losses, which might be to the top two teams in the country. That is, if they can beat Baylor, and with MSU and I know they are the underdog there. This MSU team is nothing like last year. Man, I wish these playoffs had started last year.

Also, no freakin way was that OSU-WIS game thrown. How can you even be serious? OSU deserves to be in the mix. >>

Why does OSU deserve anything? They beat all the teams in an average at best conference. Actually one could argue that the Big Ten was weak. That is their entire resume. They won a weak conference. They had a terrible home loss to a 6-6 team non conference team. Baylor and TCU played in a MUCH better better conference and had one loss. TCU's one loss came at the hands of the # 5 team in the country.

OSU got in because of their brand. Deserving? Nah. Fortunate. Yes.

MJ >>

Big 12 is Baylor and TCU. Big 10 is OSU and MSU. I would hardly call that a MUCH better conference. >>

The Big 12 is deeper with less fodder and both Baylor and TCU are better then OSU and MSU by most accounts.

Games are played on the field but it's interesting that TCU would have been a 4.5 point favorite over OSU and Baylor would have been a 2.5 favorite over OSU.

MJ >>

I see no evidence the Big 12 is better than the Big 10. Ohio State had a tougher SOS than both TCU and Baylor and the Big 10 has more ranked teams. Ohio State would put up 70 on TCU and Baylor's defenses. >>

You should watch more games with open eyes. Too bad TCU doesn't play OSU as you would get OSU +4.5. I guess I could see TCU 75 OSU 70 as a final.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too bad TCU doesn't play OSU as you would get OSU +4.5. >>

Spoken like a true Michigan Man!

• Options

<< <i>

image >>

True and true. Vegas would have TCU a 4.5 favorite against OSU. Just reporting what I saw. Yes, I hate OSU but truth be told I've rooted for them in the past as I'm a Big Ten fan.

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    JC: Do you remember old Bob Ufer. He was the only broadcasting homer that I could ever bear to listen too.
  • Options

<< <i>JC: Do you remember old Bob Ufer. He was the only broadcasting homer that I could ever bear to listen too. >>

I was listening to him when Michigan beat Indiana on the last play of the game from mid field ( Anthony Carter). Grew up on him amd Ernie Harwell. None better

MJ
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just looked on ESPN. TCU is 16th in points against and OSU is 23rd. Furthermore, it's interesting that the third least that any team scored against TCU this year was Minnesota (7 points)... who scored 24 against the almighty OSU. Hmmmm.... I think you are off base with your 70 prediction. Plus OSU is 4th in points for and TCU is 2nd. Again, I will assume it was the beer talking. When you sober up let us know what you really think. Do you truly think OSU would be favored to beat TCU, on a neutral field, with any of your three quarterbacks? >>

TCU didn't have to play against Minnesota in 15 degree, snowy weather. Who did TCU beat besides Minnesota?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Vegas would have TCU a 4.5 favorite against OSU. .

MJ >>

Yea so was Wisconsin.

• Options

<< <i>TCU didn't have to play against Minnesota in 15 degree, snowy weather. Who did TCU beat besides Minnesota? >>

That's crazy talk. When TCU played Minn they played on the same field as each other just like when OSU played Minn.

Who did TCU play?

They beat at the time #5 Oklahoma, #15 OK State, #20 West VA, and #7 K-state. Do your homework or post when sober.

• Options
    Even if you hate UCLA and/or the Pac 12 (in fact, especially you haters) watch this video of Eric Kendricks receiving the Butkus. One more example of why college sports is so cool to me. Pretty cool:

Link
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Vegas would have TCU a 4.5 favorite against OSU. .

MJ >>

Yea so was Wisconsin. >>

True and that's why I said earlier games are played on the field. I do find it interesting that TCU would be a 4.5 favorite AFTER OSU dismantled Wisconsin. Facts, are OSU saved their best for last. Season long they didn't have much to hang their hat on.

MJ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>TCU didn't have to play against Minnesota in 15 degree, snowy weather. Who did TCU beat besides Minnesota? >>

That's crazy talk. When TCU played Minn they played on the same field as each other just like when OSU played Minn.

Who did TCU play?

They beat at the time #5 Oklahoma, #15 OK State, #20 West VA, and #7 K-state. Do your homework or post when sober. >>

Which turned out to be all overrated teams lol. Ohio State has the better win, #7 Mich State.

Funny you think home and away fields are the same. Get real.

• Options

<< <i>

Which turned out to be all overrated teams lol. Ohio State has the better win, #7 Mich State.

Funny you think home and away fields are the same. Get real. >>

Ok. You are right. Thanks for clarifying for me. Now it all makes sense. I feel so stupid for not seeing the obvious.
  • Options
    Great games Saturday. The Penn State and USC games were about as exciting as it gets. I love bowl season.

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Had a fun time in Nashville with my whole family. Nice game and was surprised how bad LSU is on defense. They were as bad as ND was, and quite frankly ND's defense sucks. Never did have to listen to "Tiger bait, Tiger bait, Tiger bait." Their crowd was quite subdued even though I was sitting in what seemed to be an LSU section dressed like a leprechaun LOL

The game winner

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Cool you were there Mike. I was thinking about you when I heard they won. Good for you!

Totally unrelated, I heard on the radio today that the next two years semi-final bowls are on New Year's eve. Strange.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can not see the Rose Bowl game being played on 12-31.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>I can not see the Rose Bowl game being played on 12-31. >>

So far the Rose is on Jan 1 2016 and Jan 2 2017 (as has happened before when the first is on a Sunday).

However, Dec. 31, 2015 and 2016 is the semi-final bowl games.

Dec. 31 2015 is the Orange and Cotton

Dec. 31 2016 is the Fiesta and Peach

They have not scheduled the following year yet. By then we probably be up to 8 teams!
  • Options
    Mississippi kicks a 27 yd FG down 42 to 0 to avoid the shutout. Bunch of nonsense. Congrats TCU
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That took it from a six possession game to a five possession game. Appears to be smart coaching to me. image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Was originally hoping Bama would put up 100 tomorrow on Ohio State, and then lose to either Oregon/FSU in the championship, but after enjoying the SEC West losing their last 3 bowl games (LSU, MISS, MISS ST), and sharing lunch at Monell's in Nashville with a nice couple that have a son in the Buckeye Band, it sure would be nice to have Ohio State put them out of their misery tomorrow, and then have Ohio State lose to Oregon/FSU instead.

Go OSU, TOSU, Ohio State, or whatever y'all call yourself, get it done tomorrow!
  • Options
    TCU looked terrific-

• Options
    Alabama certainly could put up a big number on the Buckeyes. OSU has played beyond the expectations of their coach and certainly earned the right to go against the best team in the country with arguably the best coach in the country. They will do this with their third string QB who has started exactly one game. He played well in his one start but his offensive line kept pressure off of him. To keep Alabama out of the backfield will be a daunting task. If Alabama can put the pressure on rushing four and dropping seven it may be a rude awakening for CD. It would be a huge upset for the Buckeyes to win but they certainly earned the right to be embarrassed tonight. Oh how I wish we could be playing East Carolina, Fresno State or Notre Dame for all the marbles.

Ralph

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Brick, "we"? Are you from Ohio? Whereabouts? I'm a buckeye fan.

Don't forget everyone, playoffs start in a few hrs.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    I will be pulling for Ohio State. However, Devine intervention will be required for a Buckeye victory.

I still think TCU would have been the best 4th team. I would really like to be wrong about that.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big day for the Big Ten. 4 teams in games today.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    I can't believe Baylor. They have given this game away. Good job Michigan State. Amazing comeback.
  • Options
    The Wisconsin and Michigan state games were both great! Huge wins. Minnesota kept it close for a bit but Missouri was too much for them.
    What I Collect:

• Options
    SEC West 0 for their last 4. Will be fun seeing if their show pony can get the job done. Go Buckeyes!!
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Quack Attack!
  • Options

<< <i>Quack Attack! >>

"Oregon is soft." Lol!

Go Ducks!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early Sugar Bowl thoughts, OSU better stick it the end zone when it's 1st and goal.

0 for 2 so far. Just 6 points.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Did FSU really not shake hands after the game? If so, I hope their coaches wear them out.

What about that coach, Fisher I think, did he go congratulate the Oregon coach? I wasn't watching as I had yet another Christmas celebration to go to, but saw some Facebook peeps mentioning that FSU just ran off the field and was just wondering.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Most of the FSU players departed for the locker room rather than shake hands. Winston, to his credit, was not one of them. I'm far from a Winston fan, but I gotta give him that. And yes, Jumbo did congratulate Helfrich and Mariota among others.

This was by far the most satisfying Oregon win I've ever witnessed. Yes, the Ducks were favored by the wiseguys, but I kept hearing that things would be different against the 'Noles. Their defense would be too slow (20 points given up, plus 5 takeaways). They wouldn't be able to stop Winston from his customary 2nd half comeback. Losing Ifo Ekpre-Olomu would be a major blow. Blah, blah, blah.

Oregon dominated both sides of the line. Winston ran for his life all night against Tony Washington and gang. The Seminoles did have some nice initial success running the ball up the middle, but were forced to abandon that after consecutive fumbles by their freshman running back turned into 14 quick points for Oregon. After Winston's fumble was gobbled up and returned by Washington, all dreams of a comeback were done.

On the offensive side, Oreegon's tempo was just too much. FSU has never had to face anything like that, and they were completely unprepared. Freeman, Tyner and Mariota ran wild, which opened up Mariota for some nice play-action completions.

As I said, I'm not a Jameis fan - he may turn out to be a better player on Sundays, but I'll take a man of talent and character like Mariota every day of the week. His dimeanor on the sidelines with the Ducks up by 39 was the same as it would have been had the score been reversed. He wasn't woofing it up or talking trash. I can't help but believe that most QBs wouldn't have conducted themselves like that. I've been watching Mariota since his first game and felt he was someone special then. I didn't dream he'd be this special, though!
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching bama vs bucks?

Missed Winston and his thuggish behavior. Actually havent been able to watch that game nor bama. Ugh. Highlights will have to suffice.
    Miss anything great?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Bye, bye, Bama!👍
  • Options
    Maybe😲
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone watching bama vs bucks?

Missed Winston and his thuggish behavior. Actually havent been able to watch that game nor bama. Ugh. Highlights will have to suffice.
    Miss anything great? >>

I'm watching it. Fun game to watch so far. Kind of sloppy play. Fumble and a couple interceptions. The interceptions seemed to be caused by pure bad throws, one of them the OSU big man took it yard, that was awesome. OSU just scored to go up by 2 scores with 3:24 left. Really enjoyable watching Saban. A great athletic catch for a TD, and a gimme TD from defender falling down. Ohio State had a sweet TD right before the half where the wide receiver threw the pass, and a great catch on the end of the play. Ohio State blew a touchdown on the opening kickoff by not going after the ball at all in the endzone, had they aggressively chased it and jumped on it, they would have had 6.

Some hits kept knocking off the helmet of an OSU kid, that was quite entertaining.

Bama just scored again. 7 point game with 1:59 left.

Best player so far for Bama has been their punter. Kid is an absolute talent tonight.
  • Options
    TOSU is doing their best to give this game back.
  • Options
    What a game!
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Ohio State... RTR
  • Options
    Wow.

Ohio State vs Oregon in the championship game. I think I saw a stat earlier today that the Ducks are 0-8 against OSU. Having said that, this ain't your daddy's Ducks team. I like "our" chances. Can't wait.
  • Options
    Congrats to the Buckeyes and to Brick (I love your posting style and wit, I like how you've taken the barbs and thrown them back but you do it with style and in a way that elicits laughter and goodwill)

TNP777, good luck to "y'all". I've only gotten to see Mariota play a few times over the years, and have enjoyed watching his quickness and full steam ahead demeanor. I hope "y'all" win it all and will be rooting for ya. The championship game is in my neck of the woods. Doing my best to avoid temptation and to go to Constitutional Law class that night instead of AT&T Stadium LOL
  • Options

<< <i>Brick, "we"? Are you from Ohio? Whereabouts? I'm a buckeye fan.

Don't forget everyone, playoffs start in a few hrs. >>

Yes. Born in Columbus many years ago. Still live in one of the suburbs. Nice to have a few other Buckeyes on board here.

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Brick, "we"? Are you from Ohio? Whereabouts? I'm a buckeye fan.

Don't forget everyone, playoffs start in a few hrs. >>

Yes. Born in Columbus many years ago. Still live in one of the suburbs. Nice to have a few other Buckeyes on board here. >>

Its flat out nice to see other big ten fans on here.
    What I Collect:

• Options
    Jameis Winston - not the sharpest knife in the drawer

“Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
    "Everyone in this room, let's be real. This game could have gone either way."

Umm... yeah. A 39 point blowout could have gone either way.
  • Options
    Sec west is the best HAHAHAHHAHA

The Big TEN is the best conference in football this year by far!!!!!

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it interesting that, after conference play, I pull for a team like OSU even though they are natural born sworn enemy. Disliked to the core.

I suppose it's true for most fans who are regional or conference loyal.

Looking forward to the final. Hope that it's a good football game.

edited for grammar.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    I thought Alabama was going to run the score up on Ohio State. When it was 21-6 Alabama looked to be in total control. Props to Ohio State for coming back and getting the win. Should be a great championship game. I am rooting for the Ducks since my wife is an alum!