Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 US Marshals Service 225th Anniversary Commemoratives

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2/3rds of my MS silver were <69 &. Half of them were spotted with varying colors - black, brown, gray & milk. I had 1 with 3 reed marks! A first ever.

0/2 & 0/2 on the gold. I thought those would be easy

I just sent some decent MS silver back because the quantity was beyond my needs
    (Not all returned were low quality)

I'll add to check the outermost ring on the reverse to see if it is fully struck up, esp @ 12:00. Some coins had the obverse die off center.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2/3rds of my MS silver were <69 &. Half of them were spotted with varying colors - black, brown, gray & milk. I had 1 with 3 reed marks! A first ever.

0/2 & 0/2 on the gold. I thought those would be easy

I just sent I sent some decent MS silver back that was beyond my needs >>

Coherent? - 1

My take on -

<<2/3rds of my MS silver were <69 &. Half of them were spotted with varying colors - black, brown, gray & milk.>>

Not good, modern US Mint is a mess, stay away.
  • Options
    Fixed above.

The number with spots, specks, streaks, etc was high for me.

I passed on an otherwise perfect coin because of black specks.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Numbers are out from the Mint. This is for the first 4 days of sale...

SR7...2015 MARSHALS 3-COIN SET.........9,676

SR1...2015 MARSHALS GOLD PROOF.......4,066 ......SR2...2015 MARSHALS GOLD UNC.......3,957

SR3...2015 MARSHALS SILVER PROOF...33,599 ......SR4...2015 MARSHALS SILVER UNC...14,789

SR5...2015 MARSHALS CLAD PROOF.....22,462 ......SR6...2015 MARSHALS CLAD UNC......11,846

So, I'm not in any hurry about buying the gold coins, yet... >>

Revised numbers in
    (previous were without the final show numbers????)

Commemoratives SR1 2015 MARSHALS GOLD PROOF . 4,759
    Commemoratives SR2 2015 MARSHALS GOLD UNC . 4,556

Commemoratives SR3 2015 MARSHALS SILVER PROOF 37,530
    Commemoratives SR4 2015 MARSHALS SILVER UNC . 18,835

Commemoratives SR5 2015 MARSHALS CLAD PROOF . 22,953
    Commemoratives SR6 2015 MARSHALS CLAD UNC . 13,323

Commemoratives SR7 2015 MARSHALS 3-COIN SET . 9,901

at the top of the page, the maximums need revising
    $5 Gold Coin – 100,000 . (both MS & PR, incl. the 15k in the 3-coin set)
    $1 Silver Dollar – 500,000 . (ditto)
    $0.5 Clad Half-Dollar – 750,000 . (ditto)

I checked earlier tonight and there is a 5 set household limit now on the 3 coin set. !Panic!

So far they've sold:
    (9,901 + 22,953 + 13,323) = 46,177 clads of the 750,000 maximum

Since these can only be minted and issued (except for the presentation pieces) in 2015, it's likely they will be sold to pretty near the bitter end of the year. So, my prediction is there will be no "lowering of the mintage maximum." Instead, they will just list a "last date of sale" in December when the time comes.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess "July 4th" is on there 'cuz they will still be for sale then...image

No clue why "panic" is there though >>

There was some panic when some thought the 3 pc. set sold out in 1 day...image......$600+ ebay sales.

There's some panic now about the FIRST STRIKE dates....image >>

So first strikes could be some what limited on all variations? Anyone else have an opinion on this? I just looked on the Mint's site and the earliest for the back orders is 2/2/15. So If you didn't get your order in early you will have to buy on the secondary market for first strikes. May cause a price increase for those wanted them. Any other opinions on this please chime in.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    My take is plenty of First Strikes and ER to go around because most big dealers know to order day 1 at noon(-ish)

(I have talked to some where this was a new idea to them.)

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My take is plenty of First Strikes and ER to go around because most big dealers know to order day 1 at noon(-ish)

Even with a delay after the first day batch on new issues, it appears the mint has enough ready for the first wave to prevent
    another HOF debacle.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Numbers are out from the Mint. This is for the first 4 days of sale...

SR7...2015 MARSHALS 3-COIN SET.........9,676

SR1...2015 MARSHALS GOLD PROOF.......4,066 ......SR2...2015 MARSHALS GOLD UNC.......3,957

SR3...2015 MARSHALS SILVER PROOF...33,599 ......SR4...2015 MARSHALS SILVER UNC...14,789

SR5...2015 MARSHALS CLAD PROOF.....22,462 ......SR6...2015 MARSHALS CLAD UNC......11,846

So, I'm not in any hurry about buying the gold coins, yet... >>

Revised numbers in
    (previous were without the final show numbers????)

Commemoratives SR1 2015 MARSHALS GOLD PROOF . 4,759
    Commemoratives SR2 2015 MARSHALS GOLD UNC . 4,556

Commemoratives SR3 2015 MARSHALS SILVER PROOF 37,530
    Commemoratives SR4 2015 MARSHALS SILVER UNC . 18,835

Commemoratives SR5 2015 MARSHALS CLAD PROOF . 22,953
    Commemoratives SR6 2015 MARSHALS CLAD UNC . 13,323

Commemoratives SR7 2015 MARSHALS 3-COIN SET . 9,901

>>

Don't know. The spreadsheet I took the original numbers was time stamped Noon Eastern Time. They must have upwardly revised the numbers before publication. The addition of the show sales makes sense...

<< <i>I checked earlier tonight and there is a 5 set household limit now on the 3 coin set. !Panic!. >>

Wasn't there always a 5 set max?
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just opened up my order.

One MS clad is stained. One PR clad looks like it has a scratch. The $1 silver proof looks like it already has a whitish haze on it. The $1 silver unc looks great.

The clads look better in picture than in hand. A slightly higher relief would have helped. The silver looks better in hand than in picture. This coin is growing on me... image

Marginal quality, only 50% of the coins I got I'd deem acceptable. sigh.
  • Options
    I did not notice if there was a HH limit before.

• Options

<< <i>Just opened up my order.

One MS clad is stained. One PR clad looks like it has a scratch. The $1 silver proof looks like it already has a whitish haze on it. The $1 silver unc looks great.

The clads look better in picture than in hand. A slightly higher relief would have helped. The silver looks better in hand than in picture. This coin is growing on me... image

Marginal quality, only 50% of the coins I got I'd deem acceptable. sigh. >>

1/3 so far on the silver. And I mean only 33% even had a hope at 69.

PR silver report.

Some sizeable strike throughs.

Some spots and specks but fewer than the MS

Big problem? Scratches (pictures coming later)

Outside the usual as struck issues: as Rick Snow reported, the center badge is a high point and old bag marks on the planchet are not being fully struck out.

• Options

<< <i>I did not notice if there was a HH limit before. >>

It started out as a TBD, then mid afternoon went to a 5 per HH limit. I think the 3 coin set is a winner. A shame the Mint didn't have enough product available to fill the orders. Remember, part of these sales are to help fund the US Marshal museum.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

PR silver report.

Outside the usual as struck issues: as Rick Snow reported, the center badge is a high point and old bag marks on the planchet are not being fully struck out. >>

It would be greatly appreciated if you could show some pictures of these flaws. Sorry MMorrisine you didn't receive better.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    The US Mint should now return to the 6 coin - wood boxed sets.

Getting tired of the same old velvet box, cardboard, with slipcover.

The would have done even better with a nice antiqued wood box for all six of these coins, branding, just like the Saddle Ridge coins
  • Options
    I would have liked something more creative like the 1995 Civil War specialty box ( don't remember exactly what it's called).
  • Options
    agree, either way, they should start to make nicer packaging.......
  • Options
    2bucks2bucks Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

PR silver report.

Outside the usual as struck issues: as Rick Snow reported, the center badge is a high point and old bag marks on the planchet are not being fully struck out. >>

It would be greatly appreciated if you could show some pictures of these flaws. Sorry MMorrisine you didn't receive better. >>

I agree.. I'd really like to see some pics of these flaws as well. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have any clads made MS70 yet?
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have any clads made MS70 yet? >>

---------------------------------------------

26 pcs with Long Beach 1st Strike Label

11 pcs with Badge 1st Strike Label

These are all MS70 clad half dollars.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    1 of 2 coins shot.

coin #1: Scratches

This is probably 2nd worst. I decided to take photos after I had already put Top Worst away. That one had swirling scratches clearly from reeding due to the spacing between the swirled ones.

What looks like a scratch is. From the word "Marshal" down to the area in front of the horse.

The others rejected for "scratches" -for those coins, imagine selecting just one scratch off this coin. I'm not talking tick marks on them that's keep hem from a 70. I'm talking a real bonafide scratch.

picture #2 will shock you... or maybe not for the cynical.

• Options

Not in Picture #1 nor #2

What Rick Snow, other dealers, and I were talking about with un-struck-out bag marks on the planchet can be seen in the center of the badge. Imagine these scratches polished out almost all the way. The edge of the remaining mark will be soft and mushy. Those coins with such marks have had them in the center pentagonal area of the badge. They are light but since they are on the proof shine part and centered, they stand out immediately.

• Options
    The Clad Report

Proof - similar issues as before. Better quality than other proof clad commemoratives recently. I'd say the issues there are a little bit of everything but not a whole lot of one. I'd expect more 70s from the proofs than the MS clad. Probably the worst thing is the milky haze in the fields and some larger frost breaks.

The MS clad were all uniformly matte all over, except for the "matte breaks" on every one. image

The breakdown for grades on the ones I saw were MS68 0, MS 69 0 and MS70 0. I suppose one could call the die wear and heavy lines near the rim "as struck" but the history of older moderns certainly doesn't show this much beaten-up-ed-ness on the high end coins. But then I get to the bottom of the pile and go on a 25% run of coins without this problem. They had another - small contact marks (think SP Sacs) of varying sizes and pinpoint matte breaks and pinpoint strike-throughs. I wound up settling for one of these with the intention of ordering more in hope of finding an elusive MS70. And I'll add my proof will likely go 69 with a shot at 70, but the MS clad is by far the worst of the 6 coins at 67.

Please tell me those clad 70's are 50/50 MS/PR. I want to feel hope.

• Options
    I received my unc. Gold and they all look good, no flaws that I could notice.
  • Options
    There are 26 MS70 and 14 PF70 half dollars.
  • Options
    Silver Proof coin #2:

I'm not sure if that is a spot on the "C" ora reflection. I was too busy shooting the obverse and just popped a quick couple of the reverse. It looks like it might have a spot on the reverse in the field off the end of the wanted poster "scroll."

Those are all spots. Even what looks like marks. They did not soak off. Spots. I'm serious.

small spots, too.
    (they aren't ticks or breaks. spots of something of various colors.)

the tabaccy sneeze?

Relax. That thing next to the "L" is just lint!

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All US Marshal service products are now on back order, but a long way from being sold out, except perhaps the 3 coin set.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    any number on sales so far?
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    What is up with the U S Marshall proof 70's?

Initially saw on several sites for NGC proof 70's at $129 - $149. Went fast and just came back at PCE for

$199.95. Still have not seen any PCGS for sale. Shipping issues or quality issues at the mint again.

How can that be possible ?
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    If it does not work at first, keep trying until you really screw it up. image
  • Options
    If it does not work at first, keep trying until you really screw it up.
  • Options
    DUP POST If it does not work at first, keep trying until you really screw it up.
  • Options
    WEBSITE ISSUES DDUPLICATE POSTINGS
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of 02/15/2015

Some additional sales last week.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Has anybody seen any Silver PCGS PR70's for sale yet ?
  • Options

<< <i>What is up with the U S Marshall proof 70's?

Initially saw on several sites for NGC proof 70's at $129 - $149. Went fast and just came back at PCE for

$199.95. Still have not seen any PCGS for sale. Shipping issues or quality issues at the mint again.

How can that be possible ? >>

Price today up to $ 299.95. Anybody have any clues as to what could be driving price up ?
  • Options
    The fact that PCGS has only graded 11 coins as PR70DACM so far probably accounts for the high asking price image

GrandAm image
  • Options

<< <i>The fact that PCGS has only graded 11 coins as PR70DACM so far probably accounts for the high asking price image

GrandAm image >>

Maybe, however many times in the past that 11 population after two weeks turns to 1100 after four weeks and

thoes who purchased for high dollars based on bad population reporting " paid the price " Without any other reasonable

evidence the low population at this point is a worthless gage of value but seems to work to the advantage of the quick sales.

I remember when "Only 12 per store will be available " turned a $2.50 beanie baby into a $250.00 money maker.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The fact that PCGS has only graded 11 coins as PR70DACM so far probably accounts for the high asking price image

GrandAm image >>

Maybe, however many times in the past that 11 population after two weeks turns to 1100 after four weeks and

thoes who purchased for high dollars based on bad population reporting " paid the price " Without any other reasonable

evidence the low population at this point is a worthless gage of value but seems to work to the advantage of the quick sales.

I remember when "Only 12 per store will be available " turned a $2.50 beanie baby into a $250.00 money maker. >>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought and sold thousands of Beanie Babies back in the day.

My son and I use to stand in line at 6:00 am at The Cracker Barrel to buy them,,,,,

We had routes that after he got home from school we would drive around and hit all the store that sold them. Also on Saturday's,,,,

After awhile you knew what stores got new shipments on what day of the week. Those were the good old days.

GrandAm image
  • Options
    I did the same until I discovered a friend of mine had a TY account for his little gift shop. And who says lightning does not strike twice.
    When trying to change address to have them shipped to another location the CS rep set up a second account for us. We then got six dozen
    of each style per month. 24 cases of beanies that would fill my Explorer to the roof including the passenger seat. I would then drive up the
    turnpike to meet a guy, who would retail them, at a Motel 6 just off one of the exits. I would exchange the beanies for a box of cash. Depending on
    when the new styles came out it was $ 15,000 to over $ 20,000 per load. Our cost from TY was $ 30 per dozen. we would sell regular styles for $ 60/ dz.
    and when new ones came out they would go for $300 - $500 per dozen for the first couple of months.
    Yes those were the good old days !!!!!
  • Options
    And now all those worthless bean bags can be had for a quarter each
    at any yard sale
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate when someone mentions beanie babies in the context of a coin thread. Makes me think they are equal in the minds of some. I do get the flip thing but I'm sure there are coin flips out there that are worthy of mention and just stay away from the toys.

My opinion only.....
  • Options
    POINT # 1

Sometimes as above, we older people just like to chat about the good old times and fit it in where ever it applies.

Point # 2

I think everyone knows they are not equal. Coins contain precious metals and have monetary value. Beanie babies
    were an overproduced overhyped toy of no real value. The flipping comparision is the hype and manipulated impression
    of rarety that drove prices that eventually collapsed. Modern coins will maintain their value based on the true condition, rarety,
    and desireability of the coin. The inflated value by the ever increasing hype and number of different lables issued to manipulate the
    impression of rarety will fade away with time.
  • Options
    My attempt to purchase a NGC PR70 ER U S Marshalls Silver Proof has been a week long journey of ups and downs.
    Looks like it will come to a good ending next week. To be fair I will wait until then to tell the whole story instead of
    just telling the negative part now.

Just posting now to tell forum members that if what I was told and learned is true the Marshals 70's could be real winners.
    As always it is hard for the little guy to get enough accurate information early in the process to make a good decision. We
    usually just have to spin one of Bullsitter's Wheels and take a chance. ROFL

Again, if what I was told is true, label collectors should jump on a chance for a Proof or MS 70 Early release at a good price.

Disclaimer: I am not a flipper and never have any for sale. I just like to buy as cheap as possible for my collection and prefer the
    value of my collection to go up and not down as it so often does.

imageimage
  • Options
    For what it is worth, this is what I was told by a large website dealer. NGC is grading very few 70's due to scratches on the star.
    He said dealers would have to submit so many to the TPG's to get 70's that they would have to charge $1,000 to make it profitable.
    Prices on their website climbed every day last week.
    Their last price on their website for NGC PF70UC Early Release star label 2015-P $1 Silver US Marshal was $ 499.95 for credit card purchase.
    None were available for sale on the website as of Friday.

Just passing on what I have seen and heard.

Edited to say : The dealer "is not" Modern Coin Mart. If I had seen the proof for sale on Modern Coin Mart before they sold out I would have it now
    like the MS70 I ordered from them. Received it Thursday. Beautiful coin with OGP included and well packaged.
    As always the best and fast service from MCM ! I put my name on the advance notification list for the March Of Dimes so not to miss out
    getting them from MCM.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like there is a PCGS PF70 on Feebay right now for $249 BIN.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 MS70 PCGS $1 from this seller for $210 each

ebay PCGS MS 70 $1

this seller has more than 10 PR70 PCGS $1 @ $249.95 or B.O

ebay proof 70 PCGS

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about but passed. I'll bet they'll b many more to follow. Could b wrong, of course...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>6 MS70 PCGS $1 from this seller for $210 each

ebay PCGS MS 70 $1

this seller has more than 10 PR70 PCGS $1 @ $249.95 or B.O

ebay proof 70 PCGS >>

The race back to $100 or LESS each begins. Just a matter of time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file