Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

jmaciu's Reds' Unopened Pack and Baseball Card Thread - Post your Reds stuff here too.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya John

I just wanted to add these to the thread...

1976 ICEE Cups Cincy Reds cards

If anyone ever wondered why these are rarely seen in prime condition? The way they came in the cups will explain.

My take? If anyone has PSA 7 or above? I'll bet they never saw the cup IMO.

I recently bid on an entire set and got outbid - it went for way more than the BB card catalog indicated - I would sure like the Rose and Bench.
    Mike
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like Bench's 75 card as you can see old Tampa Stadium "The Sombrero" in the back ground.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    redlegs--awesome stuff there.

Mike, let me guess, you drank an iccee out of those cups back in the day?
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    200. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,
    Thanks for posting the Icee Cups. Never seen one before. Pretty cool addition to add for sure. Do you know if the Icee drinks were sold regionally or were that a national chain. I never remember seeing those as a kid.
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an Icee advertising poster that I recently had framed.

• Options

<< <i>Mike,
    Thanks for posting the Icee Cups. Never seen one before. Pretty cool addition to add for sure. Do you know if the Icee drinks were sold regionally or were that a national chain. I never remember seeing those as a kid. >>

Hiya David - here's a brief history:

<< <i>In the late1950's a man named Omar Knedlik owned a Dairy Queen in Coffeyville, Kansas. He didn't have a soda fountain in the store so he took bottles of soda and put them in the freezer. He kept them in the freezer until the soda in the bottles became frozen. He served this frozen drink to his customers and they loved it!

He thought it would be great if there was a machine to make this unique frozen drink and began to build the machine himself. It took five years for Mr. Knedlik to build the first ICEE® machine. When he finally finished, he had just what he dreamed of, a machine that could pour a frozen, carbonated drink. By the mid 60's, about 300 ICEE® machines had been manufactured. >>

The product is kind of regional when it comes to stop and shop type places but also some chains use the product like McD's, Wal-mart, BurgerKing, Subway e.g.

It's kind of like a Slurpee which uses a similar machine but 7-11 got to use their own product name when they did a deal with ICEE - that's my understanding.
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Mike.

Redlegs that is a crazy cool poster.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the info Mike.

Redlegs that is a crazy cool poster. >>

+1

And always, you're welcome!
    Mike
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    They used to sell ICEEs at my local Hill's department store in the late '70's, out in the lobby with the popcorn machine and a really generous selection of different kinds of nuts, among other things.

I never saw the Reds cups at the time. If I had, I would've been all over them.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly to bump this and hope others have some recent pickups to show off. It's been a while since I've picked up any Rose cards, but with only a couple left to finish off the raw OPC run I had to pick this up...
  • Options

<< <i>Here is an Icee advertising poster that I recently had framed.

image >>

Love the poster! I've never seen one before.
  • Options
    Awesome OPC leaders card, Kyle!

John, what have you picked up lately??
  • Options
    I always love looking at the leader cards. LarkinCollector, Great score with Pete Rose OPC leader card. Not every day you see one of those. Speaking of OPC I just won this 75 Bench and can't wait to get it in hand. Speaking of Pete Rose I was happy to score this 66 card. I'm sure others have some additions to add so lets see them.

imageimage