Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

jmaciu's Reds' Unopened Pack and Baseball Card Thread - Post your Reds stuff here too.

Comments

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

Time for a little modern flair. 5/5 booklet

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    fresh out of the mailbox...1966 opc pete rose psa 8(st)...this card is insanely tough to find in high grade...i normally dont go for cards with qualifiers, but in this case i made an exception...the slight stain on the back is why it got a qualifier...the card is absolutely gorgeous!

[URL=http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/pjb103183/media/null_zpsx1ltlwa5.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/pjb103183/media/null_zpsoetbpn7h.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Wow, somehow I missed the OPC Rose, Phillip. Nice card. The Modern Bench and Perez are cool, too.
  • Options
    Here are few new additions: First up, I have a trio of Gems.

Second up is my first card from the 1967 Topps set and a representative of a very underrated pitcher from the 60's, Jim Maloney. He was a 2-time 20-game winner (1963 and 1965) and is a member of the Reds Hall of Fame.

Last, but not least, is a 1966 Topps PSA 6 Pete Rose that was submitted raw. I think it presents well for the grade.

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Wow John, I can tell you really paid attention to centering! I think the 8.5 is my favorite.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been too long since this thread was bumped, so here's my latest Rose addition, a 77T Cloth Sticker:
    It's one of the nicer one's I've seen raw and the significant T/B OC doesn't bother me much from 77T.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Wow, that Topps Cloth is sweeeeeet! One of my favorite Topps issues of all time and I'm dying to add a PSA 9 Yaz from the set.

I love this thread. John, what have you landed lately??
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that Topps Cloth is sweeeeeet! One of my favorite Topps issues of all time and I'm dying to add a PSA 9 Yaz from the set.

I love this thread. John, what have you landed lately?? >>

I too love the Cloth Rose. I have nice regular Topps and OPC versions in PSA 9 form. I need to add the cloth now.

Dan, thank you for following this thread. Your Yaz thread is one of my favorites. I have added a few things, and am waiting for a couple to arrive. I hope to update here shortly.image
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    [image

• Options
    The 1960 Cello is sweet, Manny.

I have not updated for awhile, so here we go:

First are a couple recent cards that I just got back from PSA recently:

Next, I have a couple raw pick-ups. The Red Heart is my first in my collection:

I picked a nice example of the Old Left Hander and of Roy McMillan:

Finally, my biggest pick-up was a Davey Concepcion RC. I had a difficult time finding one to suit my qualifications:

• Options
    I love this thread and wish it was always on page one.

Great Frank Robs. Such an amazing player. I dig the 69 Perez too. Much nicer than my copy.

Always great to see a Red Heart in the mix. Terrific set design. I just added my first as well. What's up with Ted's crazy eyes?

Lots of good stuff, as usual!
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty pumped to have landed my first 74 Deckle. I absolutely love this card once it was in hand. Makes me want to get some more. Anyone else out there collect any of the Deckles? Also picked up the MB Johnny Bench. I might have purchased these cards from someone who posts on this thread. If so thanks.

imageimage
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, I missed you last pickups John - the Concepcion RC is sweet!

Super pickups buddy.
    Mike
  • Options
    Stunning pickups Dave - the Deckle is especially nice IMO.
    Mike
  • Options
    +1 on the Concepcion rookie. Sweet card.
  • Options
    Wow that deckle Bench is a HUGE card! Congrats! I know you're a big time Bench collector. Are you on the set registry?
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Mike and Dan thanks for comments. Dan I am on the registry for Bench. I have completed the basic set and the basic Topps. I'm a long way from completing the JB master set and may never fully be able to complete it given the rarity/cost of a several items. I'm currently #6 on the basic set Bench Basic Set.
  • Options
    Dave, I love the deckle edge. Congratulations.
  • Options
    Old Cincy

Hans Lobert played for the Reds from 1905 to 1910.
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike that Hans Lobert is absolutely stunning card. The color and artistry of those cards are incredible. Do have any other Reds from that set? Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Wow, that Bench registry is sick! 8.98 GPA is nothing to sneeze at.

I've always thought when a player shares his RC, then that player's 2nd year card with him solo is really significant. For Bench, that's his 69T of course, and your 9 is stunning!
  • Options
    I never thought I would own this card. So happy to have found one at a very good price.

• Options
    Wow, Dave, your Kahn's Bench is a beauty.

I just got these 1981 Topps cello packs back from PSA. I am super happy to get a pair of Gem Mints!

• Options
    John, congrats on those submissions. That Seaver cello is as good as it gets. The centering on that Seaver card is hard to find and yours nailed it. Of course my main man (Johnny Bench) is going to get some notice. Love the Bench cello. You have a great eye for the cellos.
  • Options
    WOW. That's all I can say.
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. Those 81 self subbed results are awesome. Incredible packs. How much time and effort goes into your pack subs? Do you source these packs from your own unopened boxes or buy them individually?
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, Dave, your Kahn's Bench is a beauty.

I just got these 1981 Topps cello packs back from PSA. I am super happy to get a pair of Gem Mints!

image >>

Stellar packs, John! It was all in the way I packaged them up for you, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Just incredible John!

Congratulations.
    Mike
  • Options
    DJJazzBassDJJazzBass Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    Great Reds stuff in your thread! As one of the few Reds fans living in NJ, I can really appreciate it. Those cellos are awesome.

image >>

Hey Moose! Rocco! Help the Judge find his checkbook, will ya!
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

image >>

Great looking cellos John!!! Too bad Seaver is in the wrong uniform. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    John,

Those packs are awesome! Congrats on the sub
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for sharing. Those 81 self subbed results are awesome. Incredible packs. How much time and effort goes into your pack subs? Do you source these packs from your own unopened boxes or buy them individually? >>

Sorry for the late response. I actually have piggybacked with another collector on subbing my packs. But careful packing is necessary. As to the source of these pack, the Seaver and Bench packs were purchased individually. The Reds Team Card pack was purchased in a partial box.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Mike, personally, I seem to think Seaver looks better in Red.

BTW, yankeeman, the Lombardi cut signature is awesome.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff on here. Congrats on the pickups John. Here is my contribution to the Reds unopened threadimage Thanks to Tim for the 79.

Steve
  • Options
    jalovrajalovra Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Love this thread. Just got these packs back as part of a submission and will be added to my Rose cello collection.image

• Options
    Steve those 2 Morgan racks are sweet. 2 very nice additions to the collection.

jalovra, One can never have enough PSA 10 Cellos and then have them be Pete Rose is pretty awesome. Congrats!

Here is my latest unopened. I have always had a soft spot for the Kellogg's 3D cards. As a kid I lived a couple of years with my aunt and uncle and he worked for Kellogg's. He was always bringing bunches of cards home for both my cousin and I to have. It was great not having to buy boxes of cereal to get all the cards that we ended up with. Being a big Johnny Bench fan I just had to have this when I saw it.

• Options
    I'm not much of an unopened guy (OK, not at all) but I love that Kellogg's Bench pack!
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few recent pickups and submission results....

• Options
    Great unopened additions, Steve, JBrules, and jalovra. The Kellogg's Bench pack is especially sweet.

PaulMaul, I am digging those '71's!!

Here are my Reds additions via the Natty! It was awesome to meet a lot of the guys and shoot the breeze about cards and the hobby. I will detail my visit more in the August additions thread. The first is courtesy of Jeff @ Card Country. I really enjoyed talking Reds baseball with Jeff and his dad. The card needs no introductions other than I am super happy to have it in my collection:

Next, I had seen pictures of this Partridge Meats (1968-1970) "John" Bench before, but had never seen one in person. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to take it home:

Finally, I ran into this yearbook, and decided to bring it home too:

Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Bench RC is a beauty, John!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>That Bench RC is a beauty, John! >>

It is, but I also dig the oddball stuff and would love to learn more about that Partridge Meats item. What size is it?
  • Options
    John, those are some great additions. That Bench Partridge Meats is a card I have wanted for a long time. You don't see that card very often and I was outbid on the last two that I have seen on Ebay. Congrats.

PaulMaul, those 71 Reds are great looking cards and I can't help but stare at them every time I look at this thread.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Dan, the Patridge Meats Company is Ohio-based, and they released some baseball and football "cards" from 1968-1972. The teams featured are the Reds and Bengals. The Bench was issued in 1968 and is on a thick paper stock which is 4"x5".
  • Options
    Those are real beauties John.

Was nice to see some of it in person at the national. Really nice scans!

Here's one I know you'll appreciate - I think it's one of the nicest 52s I've ever picked up!

Mike
  • Options
    Stone, that 52 is a real beauty. Love the glasses on Blake.

Very happy to add this Bench mini to my collection. Hard to find one of these centered so I could not believe I was able to snag it for well under VCP on Ebay.

John if you ever want to get rid of the 81 record breaker Bench Cello just let me know. That is a great looking cello.

• Options
    Mike, the Blake is very nice!!

Dave, the Bench mini looks like a 9 to me.
  • Options
    Johnny Bench must have the best assortment of card photos. So many cool shots of him, many in his catcher's squat.
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few of my favorites....