Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

jmaciu's Reds' Unopened Pack and Baseball Card Thread - Post your Reds stuff here too.

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey John

In the world of OPC - it doesn't get much better - nice centering and cool rough cut.

Mike
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Great looking card John!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmaciu congrats on 79 OPC Bench! Very Nice looking 9. I saw PSA 10 Blank Back OPC 79 Bench for sale but hesitated and when I went back it was gone. Not sure there are many 10's period. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    That OPC Bench is just awesome!
  • Options
    Mike
  • Options
    Vada looks stoned.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Mike, that is a great Pinson. I agree with Dan, he does look stoned.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I looked for that specific Bench for a long time in centered form and finally found one. I find myself trending my collection towards anything Reds 1990 and back.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I find myself trending my collection towards anything Reds 1990 and back. >>

No need to stop at 1990, there's plenty of great Reds modern stuff as well image

I'm drooling over all the goodies in this thread so far! Keep em coming...
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I keep a pic of the ballpark on wall
  • Options
    Here's the '75 team set I put together, working on another one now.

• Options
  • Options
    Hiya John

Just wanted to add one that goes back a ways.

Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, guys! John, this has turned into a fantastic thread!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Very nice Hans Turkey Red Back. That is a classic for sure.
  • Options
    Mike, thanks for the "way back" Turkey Red.

Tim, I would agree. I love the contributions from the board. Let's keep it going.

Big Red Machine - Very cool 75 Team Set. Is it matted and framed? I also like the autographed picture. Here mine (sorry for the text next to the pic. I am posting from my phone.

[URL=http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/jmaciu/media/520_zps712f0227.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    Super auto pic John!

Keeping with the "unopened" theme:

Mike
  • Options
    Fine racks there, Mike!!

Another Seaver addition to the unopened theme~just got this pack back from PSA today after almost 3 months. Pulled from a 79 cello box purchased from BBCE back in 2011 (when price was $425, LOL!): Tom Terrific on top and Mr. October on back (though not noted on flip).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thanx Tim

That cello is super!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Thanx Tim

That cello is super! >>

Thanks, Mike!

Your Munson/Murray/Reds team rack is a beauty, as well! The last card of Munson and second of Murray.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my best Reds showing pack:

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    One of my favorite threads. Those signed photos are tremendous! John, who's the 8th guy all the way to the right? Concepcion?
  • Options
    I have really slowed down my card purchases, but I did get these in the mail today. I am extremely happy to add them to my Reds' collection:

The 1975 Topps Foster is nearly perfect, with super front and back centering, great edges and corners, eye-popping color, and terrific registration. The only visible blemish is the tiny fish eye below the D in Reds. The white speck in the middle of the picture is from the scanner. The 1981 OPC Seaver is a tough card to find in high grade. Most 81's are either miscut or way OC This one is the cream back version. I am still looking for the gray back variety.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1975 Topps Foster is nearly perfect, with super front and back centering, >>

Hiya John

That's a beauty! Very nice pickup.

I don't remember - something like 10+ years ago, I believe SCD sent me this photo for renewing my subscription.

Mike
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    one of my favorites--as cool as it is to have the card on top--the back provides a great glimpse into the future

image[/URL]

image[/URL]
  • Options
    Very nice with the Bench Back Cello and that PSA 9 Foster Rocks as well!

Picked this JB OPC a while back. The 1971 Topps are one of my all-time favorite sets even though I do not own that many from the set.

• Options
    Thanks for the complements guys.

Hiya right back at you Mike! I love me some Reds autographed photos.

Manny, the Bench back 69 cello is sweet!

JBrules, you have yourself a very nice opc 71 Bench.
  • Options
    Hiya John

Got something interesting to show you.

A complete set of Team Pins - total 16 - American & National League.

It's nice having the original backing that the pins were distributed.

Note - the Cincy pin: the Reds pin is designated "Red Legs" - due to that style, it places this item from 1956 to 1960 since they used the term Red Legs from 1956 to '60 due to the Red Scare - they didn't want the team to be equated with communism. Though they did reintroduce the name Reds in 1958 - but perhaps not the actual logo.

Mike
  • Options
    Stone thanks for posting the pins and the background on the Reds versus Red Legs. I did not know that. Always amazed at the knowledge of the board members.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really excited about picking this card up. Christmas present to myself. Have been focusing mostly on commons for my 1972 set, but this card meets all my esthetic requirements and I was able to obtain it for what I consider a good price, so I went for it.

..and freshly re-holdered to boot!

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sharp Rose. Congrats.
    Steve
  • Options
    It has been a long time since I posted on this thread. I wanted to share some of my Reds cards from the last 3-4 months. First is a trio of Davey Concepcion's. The 1975 Topps set is a favorite for me, and the player image really pops with the green/green borders. The 1973 OPC version is one that I submitted myself. PaulMaul helped inspire me to purchase this very nice 1972 with his posting of the Reds' Team card and Rose IA card from that year.

Next is a trio of 1975's. The Perez regular and mini cards come courtesy of svtPONY95 I am very happy to add these very nice specimens:

I also picked up these 2 nice OPC. Both the 1976 Driessen and the 1979 Griffey are extremely tough low-pop cards. I am an avid collector of 1979 OPC, so the Griffey PSA 9 was a must for me:

Finally, I was able to add this very nice 1982 Topps Grocery Rack with a well-centered Johnny Bench face out on the back. This comes courtesy from grote15:

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It has been a long time since I posted on this thread. >>

Too long in fact image Those are some incredible additions!
  • Options
    Awesome assortment of vintage cardboard, John! Your Reds collection has reached a mighty impressive level!

• Options
    Just plain superb John - I especially like the regular and mini Perez cards.
    Mike
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I've been telling you to update this thread. Wow, those are some great additions! Please keep them coming. I'm starting to get into early 70s OPC and 1960s, so I'm loving that 73 concepcion!
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I have become very selective on the characteristics if each card I add. Dan, your recent pm inspired me to update this thread.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I have become very selective on the characteristics if each card I add. Dan, your recent pm inspired me to update this thread. >>

jmaciu, The Concepcion/Perez cards are absolutely great looking cards. The color and centering is spot on. My kind of card. Getting those cards centered is no easy feat. I just received this 76 Bench card. I have this card in a PSA 8 and PSA 9 but this cards centering is best I have been able to find. Thanks everyone for sharing.

• Options
    Wow, nice 76 Bench. It looks way undergraded!
  • Options
    I picked up some more items, so first of all, here is the best centered 1975 Topps Pete Rose regular-sized card that I have been able to find:

Next, I added my first card from the 1981 set: a PSA 10 Reds Team Card.

Thirdly, I forgot to add a tough 1981 OPC Gray Back George Foster from a personal submission:

Finally, here a couple 1981 cellos. The Reds Team card pack is of the tightly wrapped variety and the Seaver Cello is of the more loosely wrapped kind. These both will be going to PSA to be holdered.

• Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Herm Wehmeir, a tough signer with a gorgeous signature

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

• Options
    That 75 Rose is a blazer, John!

• Options
    I love the George Foster gray back. Great photo! I've always liked him, so I like the auto too. John, I'm gonna send you a pm. Got a card I think you'd like.