Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

jmaciu's Reds' Unopened Pack and Baseball Card Thread - Post your Reds stuff here too.

I know there are several Reds fans here. I thought I would start a thread showing off some of my latest Reds collection additions. I have a few I will start off with now:

First, some graded cards:

I am very excited to add the 1976 OPC PSA 7 Joe Morgan. This is a pop 2 card, with only one higher. The centering is off somewhat, but almost every raw specimen I have seen of this card is nearly miscut, so it is a tough card.

The 1975 Topps PSA 9 Joe Morgan (courtesy of mintacular) is one that I have been searching for the right copy for a long time. This one has wonderful color and registration, along with nice centering. It has a slight tilt, but I am ok with that aspect, as it is a difficult card to find centered and without fisheyes. In hand, the tilt is not as noticeable.

I added this 1974 Topps PSA 9 Dave Concepcion this week. It was a former specimen of Gary's recently retired #1 1974 Topps PSA set, so I am very happy to add it. I love the action shot.

Finally, I am really happy to add this 1973 Topps PSA 8 Second Series Cello to my unopened collection:

I acquired this from Tim (grote15) a while back. It has a lot going for it: 1) It has a Reds player on the front, with Carroll being an underrated player from the Big Red Machine era. 2) It has a HOFer (Jim Palmer) face out on the back. He is firing a pitch right at us. 3) It from the Nolan Ryan series. This is now the oldest graded cello in my collection.

I will update this as I make key additions. Thanks for looking.

Edit: I am sorry about the large scans. I am working out the kinks in the process of making them smaller.

Comments

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    John,

Terrific additions to your collection. Keep the updates coming. I always love to see what you are getting.

Steve
    Steve
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for starting this thread. A great idea. Love the 75 Morgan and 74 Concepcion. Both great looking cards. I can't imagine any other 74 Concepcion's that look better than that one.
    Recently picked up this JB card. Not exactly the one (under bidder on another) I wanted but was sold on the sharpness of the corners and the color. Unfortunately it has that slight tilt which plaques a lot the 69's along with not being perfectly centered. My scanner does not do this card justice. The corners look much better in person along with overall eye-appeal. jmaciu thanks for starting this thread.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet John!

I especially like the pack you picked up from Tim.

I like the idea of a "specific topic" thread - Reds. We have more than a few Reds collectors on this board.
    Mike
    Hiya David

That's an incredible card - thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards!

Saw the 73 cello and was thinking...sweet...Reds top....Then I saw the Palmer back!

Very cool pack John!

Jim

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice stuff John!

Anybody else think Clay Carroll looks like Jack Nicholson?
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Thanks a bunch, Steve, David, Mike, and Jim. The cello is one of my collection favorites do to speak. I enjoy seeing your collections, so I am happy to share mine.

David -- Thanks for sharing your 69 Bench. That is a spectacular card. I hope other's will share their Reds stuff here.

Sisler played for 8 years with a very respectable .276 BA. He managed the Reds from 64 to 65. And his one and only appearance as an AS came in 1950.

He was the son of HOF'er George Sisler.

Mike
    Did not realize that he was the son of George Sisler. That is a great looking card for a 7 high end for sure.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff, John! I'm glad the cello found a great home! Even if most people would be more interested in the pitcher on back instaed of the front, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Great stuff here. Love to see fellow collectors showing off their stuff. Keep it going.

Marc
    Hope this is OK John.

Here's a seat I have...

Crosley field was used by the Cincinnati Reds from May 18, 1912 to June 24, 1970.

It was originally called Redland field - in 1934 Powel Crosley purchased both the park and the team and renamed it Crosley Field.

Mike
    Wow, Mike I love the Sisler Card, but the Crosley Seat is really amazing. Thank you for sharing.
    It's Sat nite - so why not a few items other than cards.

I accidentally started collecting Baseball banks.

One very popular type is the milk glass "logo" style.

This one has the "old" logo Reds with the Mobil logo on the other side:

and here's a 60s baseball bank - a premium from Security Savings

and another small focus is whiskey decanters - sports related:

Mike
    Here are a couple more 1970's cellos: one with Tom Terrific on top (cpamike, sorry, because I know it pains you to see him in this uniformimage), and of one with the hit king.

• PLEHRPLEHR Posts: 102

Great Reds cards and packs! I love that 1973 cello! Congrats on the new additions!
    Morning John

I'm very partial to the 75s - so the Rose got my attention.

Darn nice.

Don't recollect. When did ya start collecting unopened packs? It's one area I never considered.

Sometime we'll talk about why I wish I had.
    Mike
  • Love this thread, keep it going!
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Nice! The 74 Davey Concepcion was always one of my favorite cards growing up

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    John, congrats on prying that 1973 Topps Baseball cello out of Tim's collection!!!

Btw, it's brothers say hello.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Thanks again guys.

jmoran: The Concepcion is my favorite of all his cards.

Stone: I started collecting packs last year. I wish I had started 5 years ago. Lol

cpamike: Wow, those are nice. Maybe you need to send a couple of his brothers my way so he has some company.image
    John,

The older bother of Mike's packs from that same 73 box also says hello, too. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Hey guys - just wondering?

Wasn't this supposed to be a "Reds" thread?
    Mike
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey guys - just wondering?

Wasn't this supposed to be a "Reds" thread? >>

Mine had two Reds cellos in the first picture. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

<< <i>Hey guys - just wondering?

Wasn't this supposed to be a "Reds" thread? >>

Ok, Ok, lol..

• PLEHRPLEHR Posts: 102

Well, I know now where most of the graded 1973 cellos are being stashed!imageimage
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of Reds love, keep em coming!
    Here is a couple items that came in the mail this week. First is a nice 1966 PSA 6 Pete Rose. I picked this one because it is centered better than any PSA 7 I have seen, so it presents very well:

Next is a 1979 Topps Cello pack with a Reds player on the front:

When I saw it had Palmer face out on the back, I knew I had to have it. Remember, in an earlier post to this thread, I showed my 1973 cello with Reds player Clay Carroll on the front and Jim Palmer face out on the back, so these cellos are like siblings:

• mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Would like to add to the Perez racks or cellos but here is what I have.
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[ml]image[IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j46/mcholke/Cello1983ToppsSV_zpscbafbc1c.jpg">[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]
    image[/URL]

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Al
    Love the 74 Bench. Wow what a beauty. What is the card next to the Concepcion card that has the same image? Is that a proof. Thanks for sharing.
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    A thread after my own heart. Here are a few from my collection.

imageimage

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
    Guys, keep them coming. Thanks for sharing, everyone.
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Love all the topps test issues posted, especially the 67 Rose stand up

Thanks for sharing

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

It is not Maury, but is Bench

And, this ambiguous mess purports to shows Foster as a Philly pitcher, but it has to be a Reds uniform

Al
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the heck is that mess? Isn't Lester Maddox the former governor of Georgia? I think they mean Elliot.
    Absolutely love the 54 Red Heart Kluszewski and the 57. They are two of my favorite all-time Reds player cards. Just added a couple of Bench cards. Getting close to finishing my registry set. I need to invest in a better scanner because these scanned images do not do fully show the sharpness and color depth of these cards.

Super card! One of my all time favorites.
    Mike
  • Working on 1971 Topps baseball set.
    Mike
    Stone193 that is anAwesome Wiffle Ball! Makes me want to go and play a game of wiffle. How old is the Pete Rose Wiffle? Thanks for sharing.
    Here is my latest pick-up. I have been looking for a well-centered copy of this card and finally found one. Plus, the rough cut on this one is truly perfect for my taste.