Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

CARL YASTRZEMSKI - Basic and Master set discussion...

Comments

• Options
    Arrived in the mail last week:
    1978 Topps #424
    Red Sox Team (Part of the Yaz Master Set)
    PSA-10

I didn't even think about this one as I also collect the 78 Topps Red Sox set. I upgraded from a 9 to a 10 and it was a bonus that it helps my Yaz collection!

imageimage

I love the 78's!!!
  • Options
    Sweet 10, congrats!

It's cool you're collecting the 78 team set. I'm slowly working on a 74 team set. Just added the Fisk and I have a signed Tiant on its way to PSA right now. My Carbo is signed too. My goal is to complete the graded team set while including as many autographs as possible.
  • Options
    This latest addition isn't my first PSA 10, but IT IS my first YAZ 10. Very happy to get my first gem of my favorite player! Here it is:

• Options
    The '82 Fleer is such a simple yet wonderful looking set. The '77 through '84 time period was my collecting cards era. I collect Yaz cards and the '78 Topps Red Sox team set. I browse and dream every once in a while at the other years too. I've had an urge to go after the '81 Fleer Red Sox set lately. It's just a fun memory as I remember opening those cards. We'll see. The bigger my wants get, the less I have YAZ focus :-/
  • Options
    SP, hope you're doing OK. This thread has been dormant for far too long! Where are all the CU members who are in the top 20 in the master standings? Manny, Clarke442, Smitty, Gemint.....

Well I'll post my own stuff here in hope of breathing life into this thread. It's been 3 months, so I've accumulated a lot. Here goes....

Pepsi disc was a birthday gift from my sons.

64 Topps was a generous gift from CU member mojorob, which I then subbed.

Aqua matchbook is pop 2, none higher. All of these matchbooks were bought raw and submitted myself.

Green matchbook is pop 1, with 2 higher.

The color is off in this scan of the salmon matchbook, but it's pop 2, none higher.

Pink matchbook is pop 4, only 1 higher.

Including the 2 variations of the checklist, Yaz is on 8 cards in the 68 Topps set. Currently I have graded copies of 5 of the 8.

Was extremely excited to add this mini. It's an iconic set and I wanted one with sharp corners that "filled the holder." Mission accomplished, I think.

Herald stamp is one of only 7 copies graded, with no 10's. He's also on another stamp in the set, #31.
  • Options
    I love when people show bodacious Yaz items on here, so who's got stuff to show??
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA gave some unbelievable grades on those matchbooks! Nice to see them ignoring the "factory" folds. Maybe it's time to resubmit my Milk Duds boxes!?!?!?!?!?
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    HUGE day for me! Got this signed in person last November, just got it back from PSA. If you told me I had to narrow my collection to 2 cards, this would be one of them.

• Options
    I'm still waiting for a PSA employee to manually add the signed 69 Topps to my registry sets. In the meantime, today's mail included 2 more basic Topps additions to my sets:

imageimage

I just added the 75 mini, and now the regular sized Topps. This puts me at 17/24 complete on his basic Topps run, although I want to upgrade my 1971 Topps. Here is a list of the basic set cards I'm looking to add. Does anybody have these available?

1963 Fleer
    1963 Topps
    1965 Topps
    1967 Topps
    1971 Topps PSA 8
    1973 Topps
    1976 Topps
    1980 Topps
    1982 Topps

Again, if any of you have any of these available for sale, please LMK.
  • Options
  • Options
    imageimage
    imageimage

Up to 67 items in my master set, and getting closer to finishing the basic set.
  • Options
    Dan,

You have some great looking Yaz cards. Thanks so much for sharing and updating your continued progress.

Collect Brooks Robinson and unique O's items
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new addition to the Yaz Master set.
    It has been in my eBay Watch List for quite a while and I finally got a 5x eBay Bucks offer and decided to take it down.

• Options
    That's some awesome OPC goodness! Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I haven't posted to it in a while, but I'll try to remember to.
  • Options
    imageimage

THESE 2 ABOVE ARE THE ONES I'M MOST EXCITED ABOUT. ALSO ADDED THESE....

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>That's some awesome OPC goodness! Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I haven't posted to it in a while, but I'll try to remember to. >>

Hey Dan!
    I have to say some of my Hockey sets have been getting more attention recently, so not too many Yaz updates.

As I added the card to my set, I realized I am missing one of the Topps varieties of the 68 Checklist.
    I am sure I have one, but must not be labeled as a variety or in my inventory.
    When I have the time to try and find them I will look for that duplicate 74 Evans I have (I haven't forgotten_LOL).

Bill
    aka clarke442

ps Thanks for the "Shout Out" on the other Yaz thread!
  • Options
    I self subbed both Topps varieties, but only got a 5 and a 6. I hope to one day have both in an 8.
  • Options
    My latest additions:

imageimage

I love vintage league leader cards with multiple HOFers. But even more I really love the color of this Topps coin. It wouldn't scan properly, so had to go with a cell phone pic. The blue really pops in hand!

These 2 additions put me at 20% on the master set! Took 1 year and 8 months.

I have a Venezuelan Yaz at PSA right now, along with an item that will be a new addition to the master composite.
  • Options
    Damn 4x eBay Bucks…

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Damn 4x eBay Bucks… >>

You don't see a high grade Veni every day image
  • Options
    Awesome Venie!!
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭

If anyone needs any PSA 10 70s Yaz discs, I have a few on my ebay, which is also bkritz. If anyone needs any, just LMK.

Brian

• Options
    DAMN eBay Bucks AGAIN !!!

• Options
    You've been on an awesome Veni roll lately, congrats!!
  • Options
    Thanks Dan!

I was looking at all of the 1968 card options (OPC & Venezuelans) in the Master Registry and decided to focus on them lately.

The 68's are my favorite year for Yaz, with the World Series, Triple Crown and MVP stats on them, plus he has a lot of nice cards in that year.

Lately I noticed some on eBay, and like I've said, Damn those eBay bucks offers!

Like on your 65 Batting Leaders Veni, if the fronts look good but there is a mark or off-center, it is still a nice card.

ps Any news on that 65 Batting Leaders ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: clarke442

Thanks Dan!

I was looking at all of the 1968 card options (OPC & Venezuelans) in the Master Registry and decided to focus on them lately.

The 68's are my favorite year for Yaz, with the World Series, Triple Crown and MVP stats on them, plus he has a lot of nice cards in that year.

Lately I noticed some on eBay, and like I've said, Damn those eBay bucks offers!

Like on your 65 Batting Leaders Veni, if the fronts look good but there is a mark or off-center, it is still a nice card.

ps Any news on that 65 Batting Leaders ?

Hi Bill, the Veni is currently at PSA, on biz day 21 (of 50), along with another Yaz item that will be a new addition to the master composite. And then I piggybacked on an order that's on its way to PSA and included a 69 OPC Yaz. It won't grade very high but I still wanted it slabbed. Stay tuned!

I'm really frustrated because on the previous version of this site I subscribed to a bunch of threads, including this one. Since the "upgrade," I don't receive my email alerts, but I'm not able to unsubscribe or resubscribe to this thread or my player collection threads. Frustrating.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    greetings Men!! it's about time that I contributed to this thread. 1st of all--Bishop those are some rare Yaz items. I bet that you were the one who outbid me on the '67 Stand Up in what ?? the SCP auction years ago? Haven't seen 1 since.

As many of you know I have the #1 Yaz Master Set. Began it somewhere around 1998 or so. I have been in a constant battle with a great guy named Roger--who is packratking. Roger has not been concentrating on his set because his dad is very sick. We all wish his dad well as Yaz collectors I am sure.

Anyway here is some other stuff that I do not think has been shown here---hope you all enjoy

here is a link to my set if you want to check it out--been scanning pics and am up to the the '80s....

mams Yaz Master Set

not a rare card--but I bought this for $20 in the mid '90s and recently had it graded---he shoots he Scoores!!

it's unopened counterpart--stunning piece isn't it??

very tough item--took me 12 years to find it---

another very tough item in this high a grade--from 4SC

I also own the #1 '69 Topps 4 in 1 set

love this set--and here are pics of 2 other full panels

rare Yaz item--very very rare

Love me some Bazooka panels!!

and love the Comics----

hope you enjoyed--I'll show some unopened Yaz stuff next time

• Options
    Manny, so good to have you a part of this thread! For those of you who haven't seen me say it before, Manny is my collecting hero, due to the astonishing breadth of his Yaz collection. We're also both Portuguese and both from the same state. He's been very generous to me over the past couple of years, and probably to other Yaz guys too.

Manny, those are some tremendous items. I've always been a fan of the action all stars. I had a chance to buy a tips from the Topps book pretty cheap, but didn't believe I could do a good job cutting out Yaz. Your '66 PSA 9 trumps my '72 PSA 9. Your 69 OPC shown here is a PSA 4, but your registry says you have a PSA 7? That's awesome and certainly trumps my copy, which is currently at PSA and which I'm hoping for a PSA 3 on.

The Topps comics are such a cool issue, but is it true that PSA no longer grades the set?
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flatfoot...What a stunning 66 Yaz!
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is like a museum of Yaz....wonderful items.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Nothing like Manny's stuff, but still happy with these additions

This dime leaves only 6 I need to complete the basic set (although there are 2 more I want to upgrade).

I'm really happy with this next one. I hadn't planned to upgrade my PSA 4, but this 6 is much nicer in terms of corners and centering, and the price was right. Only 7 copies graded higher, so very happy with a nice mid grade copy.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    great additions Dan. I love the stretch offs--remember doing them as a kid

I am very happy to have added this extremely tough Yaz Venezuela to my master set. Have not seen one for 10 years anyway. I also got the #4 in PSA-4 coming. Very very lucky--timing is everything.

• Options
    Wow, Can't go wrong with a PSA 4 Venezuelan with 3 HOFers! Congrats!
  • Options
    Got 2 new cards Wednesday for the basic set. One is a new addition, one a 2 point upgrade.

imageimage

I'm getting close to completing the basic run. I've got one more coming in the mail today and then I'll be at 30/34 complete. Really need 5 cards because I want to upgrade my '71.
  • Options
    I'm getting close to completing the basic run. I've got one more coming in the mail, hopefully Friday, and then I'll be at 30/34 complete. Really need 5 cards because I want to upgrade my '71.

And here it is! Got this 65 Topps in the mail today:

Got a helluva deal. Leaves me 1 card shy of completing the 60's portion of the basic set. Then I need 1 new and 1 upgrade to finish the 70's and 2 new to finish the 80's. Below is my wish list, all I need before I consider my 34-card basic set complete:

1963 Topps #115 in PSA 7

1971 Topps #530 in PSA 7.5 or 8

1973 Topps #245 in PSA 8

1982 Topps #650 in PSA 9

1984 Fleer #412 in PSA 10

If you have any of those for sale or trade, please let me know. Thanks!
  • Options
    I actually prefer the 65 Topps over most of the basic set, because the photo is so unique. Almost every other basic issue is a head shot or a batting stance. The 65T is definitely different.
  • Options
    Huge mail day today, courtesy of some Christmas generosity by my friend Casey (charrigan)!

This is a big one. With this card filling a gap, I'm now done with the 1960-70 portion of the basic set!

Love the discs, especially when they're minty and in one of these fitted slabs.

I remember loving the Super Vet cards as a kid. Now I have both the Topps and OPC versions.
  • Options
    Manny sent me a Christmas package with 2 cards in it, including this one:

I'd never seen this team issue before. The photo is fantastic. Great addition to my master set. Thanks Manny!

Edit to add: it's even more scarce than I thought. My copy is pop 1, with only 2 higher.

And the board generosity didn't end there! Nathan (yankeesman) sent me the following card. Hand cut cards are so tough, but this one is beautiful! Thanks again Nathan!

• Options
    I got some great poppage lately on a small sub. Only 3 cards, but very happy with the grades. Here are the slabbed Yaz items from the sub.

This was the first Venie I ever owned. Grade was exactly what I expected. Happy to have it slabbed.

Thrilled with this grade. First copy of this patch PSA has ever graded. Didn't know their criteria for this issue, so had no idea what to expect. Very pleased.
  • Options
    Hey Dan !

Nice Pops !

The Vene looks good in the slab.

I did not know they graded patches like that, I will have to check my inventory some day.

Merry New Year !

Bill
  • Options
    Hi Bill, curious to hear whether you found a Penn Emblem in your stash.

Mail included a nice upgrade for the registry today. This 7.5 has better centering (both directions) and better corners than the 6 it's replacing. With this card, I now have the first 13 years of his basic Topps issues completed to my satisfaction, and 22 of the 24. Just need to add the 1973 and 82.

• Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Looking for s super nice 1964 bazooka Yaz panel, so if any of you hard core Yaz collectors have one for sale please let me know. Thanks Scott
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    Hi Bill, curious to hear whether you found a Penn Emblem in your stash.

Mail included a nice upgrade for the registry today. This 7.5 has better centering (both directions) and better corners than the 6 it's replacing. With this card, I now have the first 13 years of his basic Topps issues completed to my satisfaction, and 22 of the 24. Just need to add the 1973 and 82.

I don't know what PSA wants in a 1971 PSA 8 anymore. Look at all the PSA 8 old flip 71 Yazs that come up on eBay with worse centering and worse corners than this.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'm pleased with my example
  • Options
    More new additions. Very excited about the RC upgrade and the Venz. The Venz was given to me raw by Manny, and I then subbed it. Love the look of the Linnett. Matchbook was also a self sub and an upgrade over my previous copy.

• Options
    What are the top 5 toughest Yaz topps issues ?
    How about top 5 " oddball" issues ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: QUITCRAB

What are the top 5 toughest Yaz topps issues ?

How about top 5 " oddball" issues ?

The 1967 Topps Stand Up is the toughest, IMO. Other real toughies include:

1960 Venz RC

1967 Topps Punch Out

1968 Topps Plaks CL

1973 Topps Comics. I believe PSA doesn't grade this set anymore

I guess that would be my top 5.

But all of those are Topps issues, so I'm not really sure about a list of oddballs. The one that first comes to mind is the 1968 Bazooka Tipps from the Topps that Manny showed earlier. It's hand cut from thin paper stock and hard to cut a clean copy because of the rounded corners.

Some of the team issues are really hard to find, with only a handful of graded copies. And one of my personal favorites is the 1978 Penn Emblem patch I showed. Not absolutely impossible to find, but pretty hard, and an odd item for sure. Mine is the only graded copy so far.

• Options
    Thanks Dan. 67 stand up and a 60 Venz must be a beast to find !!
    I think it's a little crazy psa grades the small player photos from the back panels of the 68 bazooka tipps from topps. They were never supposed to be cut that way .
  • Options
    When you say "tiny photos" from bazooka tipps from Topps, are you referring to something different than what Manny showed?
  • Options
    Coinage and cardboard:

I love the Drake's. Tough issue when it comes to centering and PDs. Only 2 other PSA 9's sold in the past 2 years and PSA 10's go for over $100.