Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

CARL YASTRZEMSKI - Basic and Master set discussion...

1235»

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    This is my first post in a long, LONG time. I am also an avid Red Sox fan / collector. I have the #1 70's run set, as well as one of the top 51- present Red Sox sets. Your set is looking great and I really hope you complete it one day. I do have a surplus of a few cards that could improve your set, so if there is anything I can do to help let me know. Take care and good luck.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Just got this in the mail today:

Been putting off picking one up for a long time. Need to start working on the 80's as far as my Red Sox collection goes. Pop on this is astronomical at 193 PSA 10's (and 342 PSA 9's), however there are only 28 PSA 10's of the #551 Yaz. 4SC has on up for $35 +S/H, but I'd rather find one from elsewhere for around $20. Any leads please give me a heads up.
  • Options
    Nice card, Adam, I've got one of those too. Here are my latest PSA additions I haven't posted in this thread yet.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello All !

It has been awhile since I have had anything to post here, but here we go.

Some recent self-subs.

I remember buying the Perma-Graphics when they came out in the 80s, but I can not recall ever seeing the "GOLD" versions back then.

Pretty happy with the grades considering they have been in a "600-Count-Box" for over 30 years.

The 84 Fleer Cello was a raw eBay pick-up.

Not a Big or High-Dollar pack, but I like the 84 Fleer design and it was the last year of Yaz's "Playing Years" cards.

ps Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures, hopefully Santa brings me a scanner this Christmas.
  • Options
    Hi Bill, love the Permagraphics! Is one of them mislabeled? I noticed none of them say "gold"
  • Options
    Sorry Dan, my bad on wording.

Way back when, finding the "Gold" versions was almost impossible, or at least in my limited area.
  • Options
    Been a long time since I posted to this thread, 4 months or so, I think. I've picked up a ton of stuff since then and, believe it or not, the below is less than half of it, but these are the ones I wanted to share. Notes below some of them.

imageimage

64 Venz self subbed. Also part of my 64 Venz registry

68 Venz self subbed. Also part of my 68 Venz registry

69 OPC, tied for my oldest OPC. Only 5 graded higher.

70 Super is a generous gift from CU good guy DialJ

71 team issue self subbed. Pop 4, none graded higher

73 Topps leaves me one card shy of completing the basic Topps run. If anybody has an 82 PSA 9 they're willing to sell, please pm me.

This 74 stamp panel is always graded authentic because of factory miscut

imageimage

imageimage

Those three 1978 cards above were issued by the Boston Globe. All self subbed. #65 pop 2, only 1 higher. #66 pop 3, none higher. #128 pop 1, with 4 higher.

imageimage

imageimage

83 stamp - only 4 higher.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    nice job Dan and Bill

I'll post some stuff when I get a chance

did you see that the composition changed to the master set?

I think someone added the very tough 1972 Candy Lid test issue. I mean tough!! usually means 4SC has 1 and will list it soon at an outrageous price
  • Options
    Originally posted by: flatfoot816

nice job Dan and Bill

I'll post some stuff when I get a chance

did you see that the composition changed to the master set?

I think someone added the very tough 1972 Candy Lid test issue. I mean tough!! usually means 4SC has 1 and will list it soon at an outrageous price

That's exactly what happened. The Schloss added that to his set (#3 overall) and his copy is a pop 1 PSA 8, none higher! Wowzers!
  • Options
    Does anybody have a lead on an 82 Topps PSA 9? It's the last card I need for my basic set. 4SC's current copy is tilted or diamond cut. Anybody who can help?
  • Options
    Recent graded pickups:

imageimage
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
    I was told the reasoning was that this card was not issued as a 4 Player panel but a bigger sheet The hostess panel came as a 3 card panel and therefore it can be added. To my knowledge I havent seen a 2 card hostess panel in the registry .they grade them but not added in the registry.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lawyer05

I was told the reasoning was that this card was not issued as a 4 Player panel but a bigger sheet The hostess panel came as a 3 card panel and therefore it can be added. To my knowledge I havent seen a 2 card hostess panel in the registry .they grade them but not added in the registry.

What on earth are you talking about?
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

DAN read your PM's I've been trying to send you a Yaz item for a month now and need your address. My direct email is jeffv96masters@gmail.com

Jeff

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    DAN read your PM's I've been trying to send you a Yaz item for a month now and need your address. My direct email is jeffv96masters@gmail.com

Jeff

Dan was bammed a few months back, I'll pass along the message or can send you his address if that's all you need.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

greetings everyone!!

1st sorry to hear about Dan B--trying to contact him via email

2nd...congrats to The Schlong---errrrrr---the Schloss (sorry Jason couldn't resist) for attaining the #1 Carl Yaz Master Set ranking recently. I think I held the top spot for -- well a long time. Jason is a good guy and now the chase is on for me.

I am down to less than 5% remaining. Some at PSA--some not yet added to my set. Here is 1 I wanted to share--a toughie for sure---

• Options

A raw pickup . . . for submission soon

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Nice Yaz ...........a team issue of what year ??????
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

@Robby said:
    Nice Yaz ...........a team issue of what year ??????

I am not exactly sure...
    I know it is from a "Jay Publishing" set, possibly the "1962-65 to Chest/Sky in Background" version.
    As I look through the Set Registry & Pop Report there seems to be a lot of Variations of which year and/or if it is from a "Team" set.

I am still trying to figure it all out, but I know I didn't have this one.

Bill

• Options

@DanBessette said:
    There's a second Yaz sticker in the same set: "Yaz for Mayor." The one my dad stuck to the door as a kid were the Yaz I have, plus petrocelli, lonborg, Reggie smith, a team logo and 1 or 2 other players. Thanks again for starting this thread, and thanks for checking mine out!

My favorite YAZ card is the YAZ for Mayor card!

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

This thread is missing a few scans :)

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Question for anyone. Do you consider YAZ's 1967 or 1968 to be his official triple crown card?

• Options

has to be the year that he won it, 1967

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Either that or it has to be the first card after he actually achieved it. :) Who is the hobby guy in charge of these dilemmas ?

FYI--Dan B who, was passionate about this thread and is shown as banned above, posts regularly on the similar thread on 54

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m back and can’t believe this thread has no action in 2 years! Let’s wake it up!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JohnnyLAJohnnyLA Posts: 7
    edited April 2, 2020 5:03PM

My first "big" purchase in the mid-to late 80s was a Yaz Rookie. I had a choice between the Yaz rook and a 55 Koufax rookie. I think I chose wrong : ) I finally sold the Yaz two years ago for $50, ungraded. I have been a life-long Yaz/Red Sox fan. Here is one of my favorite cards that I had in my collection.

• Options

Wow that is a tremendous card!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Two more of my favorites:

Yaz Master Set

• Options

• Options
    ArmourPhilArmourPhil Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Making sure everyone knows there were two variations of the 1975 Yaz Hostess panel "Infield" and "Outfield"
    How the Std catalog of BB cards missed this for all these years I don't know.
    I finally got PSA to accept the variation and add it to both the Hostess 1975 Master set and the YAZ master set.

• Options
    BigTex22BigTex22 Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

End of his career…

• Options

I don't think I posted this on this thread
    I like the "classic" look of it
    Although this actually belongs in Yaz's "Super Set"

• Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Bill, I loved those Heritage Supers. Make sure you get that added to the super set composite.

Don, I can’t say enough about that Venz rookie! Super jealous!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

Definitely a bit of envy on the Vene RC. I have been looking for one but haven't come across many.

• Options

I just noticed this!
    Is there a reason for this being optional now?

• Options

Finally had all 3 together for a picture

Funny/Sad that the last post was me asking about one of these

• Options

Great cards, congrats!

The WS/CL card is now optional because enough people complained that the WS card doesn’t exist without the “correct” back.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Great cards, congrats!

The WS/CL card is now optional because enough people complained that the WS card doesn’t exist without the “correct” back.

Another unbelievable decision by PSA.

The Master set should strive to include MORE cards not exclude them!

Ridiculous.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I found this photo that I forgot I took.
    I don't mind that the checklist is "Marked", I think it adds some authenticity to it.