Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

CARL YASTRZEMSKI - Basic and Master set discussion...

Comments

• Options
    So the Yaz punch card (American League Captain), fits inside of the black stand up card?
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422

<< <i>So the Yaz punch card (American League Captain), fits inside of the black stand up card? >>

No.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Just poor scanning on my part. The 67 Punch Out were sold at retail in packs with 2 three card strips. The 67 Stand Ups were not sold at retail, just a test mock up as far as I know. I have not seen any wrappers for the Stand Ups but there is one empty display box that was auctioned not too long ago
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    A few more tough Topps Yazes

Al
  • Options
    Arrived in the mail today:
    1976 Isaly's
    Carl Yastrzemski
    Sweet William Discs
    PSA-10

Adding more of the 'discs' to my collection. Great card!

imageimage
  • Options
    Arriving today:
    1977 Topps #480 Carl Yastrzemski
    PSA-9

I've mentioned how I started collecting in 1978 but I first noticed baseball cards in 1977. Must have been because I was already into Star Wars cards that year. I remember friends having '77 Topps cards and I wanted some. The next year I was hooked. I love this 1977 Topps Yaz card. I had seen one recently in PSA-10 going for something like $1,200 and so a $70 PSA-9 works out just fine for me for now :-)

• Options
    Arriving today:
    1978 Big T / Tastee Discs #16 - Carl Yastrzemski
    PSA-10

I think this makes 8 discs now for me and we finally have one with a different head shot. The discs are pretty terrific because they are so different. the same looking baseball card with an ad. Years later, I love the ads on the back as much as the front card look. Very glad to have added this to my collection.

imageimage
  • Options
    Nice stuff! I previously hadnt given much thought to the discs, but you've got me wanting to add one or two. I like the 77 Yaz. I've got raw copies of all 3 with that exact front: 77 topps, topps cloth and OPC. I'm glad to see you branching out from the early 80s and adding a bunch of 70s stuff lately. So far when I'm buying graded Yaz cards I ignore the 80s, figuring that stuff will always be available. But you're building quite the well rounded collection!
  • Options
    Don't be surprised when a PSA-8 '60 Topps shows up! Hopefully sooner than later.

I had a '65 in 9 that I sold last year. That was pretty dumb. I've had the '61, '64, '68, '70, '71, '72, '73, '74, '76, etc. All the basics I need again.

In time.
  • Options
    Part of the appeal of the '80s cards are that I had many of them as a kid. So the familiarity helps. It's really terrific to have it in my hands again.

Another part is of course cost. $25 for a PSA-10 card isn't going to break the bank.

A 3rd item that helps me is that I was able to buy the easy cards in PSA-10 for the cost of a few vintage 9s or maybe one 10. Having dozens of 10s makes me feel as if I have something with momentum and in high grade which also keeps my gauge for what gets in higher for now. If I had a 1967 Yaz in 7 (which would be terrific), it would be easier for me to pick up 7s. I understand that some cards are going to have to be a 2 or 3 just to have one. I don't want to do those now. I wanted quantity and quality to start out with :-)
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with the way you're doing it. You're picking up more than me, more quickly, and leaving me in the dust image
  • Options
    Still digging your '81 All Star program insert PSA 10 !

PM sent on a slightly related topic.
  • Options
    Today's arrival...
    1979 Topps #320 Carl Yastrzemski in PSA-9

When I started collecting in '78, I loved the look... still do! The following year in '79, something just didn't look right about them. I was only 10 at the time and it looked off to me back then. I was still excited to collect and always looking for any Red Sox in a pack but they just didn't look right. I sent away for one of the wrapper offers that gave you an uncut sheet of team cards. I naturally cut it up right away and marked them with pen but the cards were a vinyl of sorts. Super cheap. Anyway, I'm very glad to have this card and I'm sorry for the downer but the '79s were just never too inspiring to me.

• Options
    I agree about the 79's, but I always enjoy your Yaz updates! Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    Today's arrival...

1983 Fleer #200 Carl Yastrzemski in PSA-10

Seems like yesterday I was buying '83 baseball cards. Topps was always my #1 go to company but Fleer was in there too. I wasn't as big on Donruss but I really like them looking back. This isn't one of Yastrzemski's best looking cards but it's still a very good memory. I haven't opened packs in years but still remember the joy from opening a wax/cello/rack and finding a Yaz card. I'd spend 10 minutes sifting through the cellos or racks like the other kids, looking up at the cashier as if I was doing something wrong.

I was surprised how this card had taken a while to show up for me. There are plenty of them out there and they just weren't available. It popped up at the right time and I'm glad it's part of the collection. Right now the other card that I haven't seen in a while is the '81 Fleer #638. It's no big deal, it just hasn't been available. I'm sure 5 will show up at the same time. I still need the '81 Topps and there are 2 available at the moment but it's a $180+ card that has to wait a little while longer. Once those two '81 cards are acquired then it's all 60s and 70s finally for the basic collection. I'm really looking forward to that and how it will change my mind set! 10's will be virtually impossible and many 9's will be just as out-of-reach. Can't wait!

PS... Some of these new additions have been showing up in the new PSA holders and I like them. They are just a little thicker but I'm good with it.

• Options
    Always awesome to grab a Yaz 10.
  • Options
    Here is what came in the mail today...

1981 Fleer #638 - Carl Yastrzemski in PSA-10

This one just wasn't available for a while. There are plenty out there but like the 83 Fleer, they just weren't popping up. Once I saw it I was happy to make it part of my Yaz collection. The 81 Fleer set gives us 2 Yaz cards to enjoy. I was fully into Topps in 81 but did buy some Fleer and Donruss so this is another memory that I can hold in my hand once again. Sometimes I look at the Fleer cards and for a quick moment wonder if I should try and go for the set. (Not happening). Maybe some day but trying to fill my Yaz set is a lifetime of work in itself.

• Options
    For the basic Yaz set, I now just need the 81 Topps to complete the 80s run. Someday that will make it's way here too. After that, I currently need the 76 and then everything 74 and earlier.
  • Options

I'm very excited about this piece! I sold a bunch of 1974 cards to pay for this purchase and I'm beyond excited to have it. I don't have any Yaz 10's and this is my oldest PSA 9. It's my 8th graded Yaz I've added in the past 5 months and this one bumped me up one spot on the registry (still only 29th though). Still, quite an addition.
  • Options
    What a terrific item! Especially in PSA-9 grade. Be proud and admire it often!
  • Options
    Nice item Dan. The late 60s and early 70s were the golden years for Topps insert and test sets, and this was one of the better ones

Al
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I normally would not post a 'sell' item in this forum, but in this case, I think it should be ok....I just received back from PSA this 1960 Venezuela Topps Yaz card...now one of 8 graded in total. For the Yaz Master Set, this card is very elusive. I already have one in my complete 1960 Venezuela Topps set, but this card is available for sale. If any Yaz Master Set collectors are interested, please send me an email at brett8@cox.net

All Venezuela Topps cards are usually always low grade and this one is no exception....but it is rare and very difficult to find in any grade.

thanks,
    Don Johnson

Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Wow! That is a fantastic card!
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello fellow Yaz collectors.
    I am new to the forums and just wanted to jump into this Yaz thread.
    My set is in "Limbo" for now, due to my budget and the difficulty ($$$) of some of the cards I need, but love the chance to chat Yaz cards.
    Hope to check back in soon.
  • Options
    Welcome and please share your collection, your stories, how you came to collect Yaz items. Always great to hear.

My summers become busy and it's been a combination of both time/money why I haven't added to my collection in a while.

I've been looking at a '60 Topps Yaz on eBay for ~$600+ but didn't have the budget to make it happen... yet?

Thanks for joining in!
    - Scott
  • Options
    Welcome aboard Clarke! I hope you'll be a regular participant in this thread. I also maintain a Yaz thread in the regular sports cards forum and that one will see a lot of activity as I just got a scanner and want to post those improved photos instead of the crappy cell phone pics currently posted. I also expect to buy another graded Yaz soon, tonight hopefully, and will post that when it arrives.

I too am on an extremely limited monthly budget. I have been able to supplement it by making trades with board members, or by selling cards that aren't in my collecting focus and flipping those funds into the things I more actively collect. Doing some of that might help you. But no matter what, have fun, and feel free to share some of your best Yaz items.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I think I have had most of the master set , just never at the same time.

just got this oddball back in one of my subs.

and got a sweet deal on this a while back

• Options
    Cool stuff! I've got some coming in the mail that I'll post when it arrives
  • Options
    Received all of these today!

imageimage
    imageimage

One more arriving soon too.
  • Options
    The Dexter Press and the Scratch Off are really cool! They are just so 'oddball' in a positive way that they really stand out.

Nice!!!
  • Options
    Hi Yaz guys. Clemente guy here. Figured you might like a picture of if not the, one of the toughest Yaz items ever! Mentioned somewhere in the thread - the 1966 Punchout!

Having trouble attaching photo - will try again from different computer another day
  • Options
    Would love to see it! Easiest thing to do is use a third party album like photobucket and "share" that photo here.
  • Options
    There is a 60 Topps Yaz rookie in PSA-8 for around $680 on eBay that I would really like but I just don't have the money this month. (Or probably next month either!)

And now today I see a PSA-10 that I've been waiting to see. It's $750 and It's the ONE card from my youth that means a lot. I am so blessed to have a Cello pack graded PSA-9 with the 78 Yaz on top and I have the single card in 9 but a 10 would be amazing. And I can't afford it.

Oh well, maybe when the next one comes along in a year or so It'll be mine :-)
  • Options
    And actually if you just go to the 4SQ web site, the '78 Yaz is $105 less at $645.

#BadTiming
  • Options
    Added these today:

2 days ago I had 8 items in my Yaz master set. In the past 2 days, I've added 8 more!
  • Options
    Both Tremendous!

I also remember the 82 Brigham's from when I was young. Great card that really makes my day to see again!

Thanks for sharing!!!
  • Options
    Thank YOU for starting this thread! I really dig it and it was well overdue. We need to keep recruiting people to share here.
  • Options
    I finished adding all my new items to my registry inventory. This week I have moved up 5 spots in the rankings for the Yaz master set, to my highest ranking yet: 24th!

Of the 16 Yaz items I have, only 2 of them fit the basic set composite, so I'm lagging way behind there. I don't care though, I'm having a ton of FUN working on the master set!
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally figured out how to add a photo, what a pain in the butt.
    Anyway, like I said before, not much activity with my Yaz sets, but I figured I would share a recent upgrade.
    Only because it is dated 1967 did I feel the need to upgrade. I don't have any scans of my cards, this was the scan from the eBay post, I hope that is not "Illegal".

image[/URL]
  • Options
    You left out the headline! I knew an 8 was an amazing grade for this tough issue, so I checked the pop report..... And there are none graded higher than this PSA 8 Yaz 1967 pin up. Congrats, what a piece!
  • Options
    These aren't new pickups per se, but stuff from the past 6 months that I only posted in my other thread, not in this forum. So doesn't hurt to share them here too.

imageimage

Those last 2 are my 2 favorite cards in my whole collection, Yaz or otherwise. I've explained at length the sentimental value behind the 67 sticker and how I thought I could never afford it. A Yaz rookie seemed similarly unattainable, until my wife and sons gave me one for Christmas 2011. I'm biased, but I think it presents WAY better than a 2. Anyways, thanks for letting me share. Now everybody is up to date image
  • Options
    All top notch!

I often find myself really liking the Kellogg's 3D issues. Your '76 is such a great looking card. I have that one too along with an '81 and '83. I pull them out every few weeks to take a peek at and it always makes me smile. I need to get the '80 some time because that's the one I remember having as a kid from the cereal box.

I haven't picked up any of the Hostess issues yet but look forward to that day. They feel similar to the Kellogg's to me for some reason. Hope to be able to show some off someday soon!
  • Options
    Food issues are awesome!
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding Yaz cards everyone!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I've meant to take this photo and share it for a while. This is a framed autographed Yaz jersey hanging on my wall. It's not game worn, just a PSA/DNA authentic that I purchased a few years ago.

The Polaroid photo (maybe I'll scan that and share it another time) is from the summer of '83 when Yaz lived next door to my Aunt and Uncle. It's a great shot of him holding a martini glass in the driveway and I'm wearing some ridiculous striped tube socks. Duh. The 3 cards (68 Topps / 80 Topps Highlights / 82 Fleer) were signed by him that day.

Hadn't posted anything here in a little while and wanted to show off some things that mean a lot to me.

- Scott

• Options
    Wow, that is absolutely TREMENDOUS!! I'm extremely jealous that you got to meet the man. I hope to someday soon. What a beautiful piece, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    ??
  • Options
    Yaz is doing a public signing Nov 15th in Burlington Mass if anybody is interested.